Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

Buying My First Second Hand Focus. Advice Please.

Search this Thread

Old 28-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Pabby
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying My First Second Hand Focus. Advice Please.

Hi,

Firstly thanks for taking the time to read this and for any advice you can give.

I am in the market for a low milage, reliable, economical Focus for under £2,000.

Can anyone tell me the 'one to buy' i.e is it the 1.4, the 1.6 (in which case is it the zetec, 16v etc) LX or Ghia (i understand these have better options but from a second hand point of view are they worth it?) Plus any other advice you can give. I am not fussed about speed, mpg is important, and spare parts availability and servicing costs etc are a big part of my decision. I like to tinker about a bit with my cars so the easier the engine is to work with/understand the better.

Also, where to buy? Are dealerships the best (as they might want to get these old cars off the firecourt) or private sellers? I have also considered a car auction...is this a good idea for this type of car?

Any other advice you can give on things i should look out for, or places i should look would be great.

In an ideal world i would like an '04, 1.6 Petrol Manual 16v Zetec, with under 50k on the clock, but am totally open to better suggestions.

Thanks again.

Paul
Old 28-01-2013, 05:33 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

I had a 1.8 tdi ghia was a really good car and easy did 40mpg round town
Old 28-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Pabby
Virgin

Originally Posted by cossiejay
I had a 1.8 tdi ghia was a really good car and easy did 40mpg round town
Someone else mentioned maybe going down the deisel route, they suggested either a 1.8 Focus or a 1.7 Astra. Are deisels still as economical as they used to be? I always see that deisel is more expensive at the pump so wasn't sure if they were that much better, but if they are it's worth considering.

What about service/repairs on a deisel vs a petrol?

Also, if anyone can think of other options other than a Focus and an Astra they think would be better suited that would be good, but so far i'm pretty set on a Focus.

Thanks for your reply
Old 28-01-2013, 06:03 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Avoid the 1.4, it's underpowered.

1600 Petrol is the best for a performance/econony compromise.

It's a DIY friendly car, so there isn't nothing you can't do yourself, you do want one thats had a cambelt change though.

Diesel is ok, but your only going to see savings if you do big miles, otherwise no, they have longer service intervals than petrols.

LX like all other models is fairly basic, although it's still not bad, decent CD player, most have heated screen and decent alloy wheels, they are actually the same extra cost option on the range topping model!

Ford confused things with the Zetec trim level, let it be clear ALL trim levels have the same Zetec engine, the 'Zetec model' is a 'sporty' trim level and has sports suspension, different wheels and front fog lights and seats.

Ghia is top of the range and has full electric windows etc.

I woulden't really be to worried about 50k millage threshold, so long as I say the cambelt has been changed and it's been looked after you will have no problems!

Being they are so popular you should be spoilt for choice really with Ebay, forecourts etc.

Martin
Old 28-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Pabby
Virgin

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Avoid the 1.4, it's underpowered.

1600 Petrol is the best for a performance/econony compromise.

It's a DIY friendly car, so there isn't nothing you can't do yourself, you do want one thats had a cambelt change though.

Diesel is ok, but your only going to see savings if you do big miles, otherwise no, they have longer service intervals than petrols.

LX like all other models is fairly basic, although it's still not bad, decent CD player, most have heated screen and decent alloy wheels, they are actually the same extra cost option on the range topping model!

Ford confused things with the Zetec trim level, let it be clear ALL trim levels have the same Zetec engine, the 'Zetec model' is a 'sporty' trim level and has sports suspension, different wheels and front fog lights and seats.

Ghia is top of the range and has full electric windows etc.

I woulden't really be to worried about 50k millage threshold, so long as I say the cambelt has been changed and it's been looked after you will have no problems!

Being they are so popular you should be spoilt for choice really with Ebay, forecourts etc.

Martin
Thank you for that, that's a really comprehensive reply!

Great advice regarding the cambelt too, i'll make sure i look out for that.

I think you're right, they rae so popular it really is a buyers market for old Focuses, which is great for me

Thanks again i really appreciate the help
Old 28-01-2013, 06:10 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Pabby
Someone else mentioned maybe going down the deisel route, they suggested either a 1.8 Focus or a 1.7 Astra. Are deisels still as economical as they used to be? I always see that deisel is more expensive at the pump so wasn't sure if they were that much better, but if they are it's worth considering.

What about service/repairs on a deisel vs a petrol?

Also, if anyone can think of other options other than a Focus and an Astra they think would be better suited that would be good, but so far i'm pretty set on a Focus.

Thanks for your reply
I run as a everyday car a galaxy 1.9 pd tdi/the 115bhp model and around town it is doing 36 mpg if its on the motorway it will do 55 mpg easy,burnley to skegness and back once a month and it costs £45 312 miles round trip and still fuel left,i also have a astra 1.7dti estate as a work car and that is great on fuel not the fastest thing on the road but plods down the motorways well
Old 28-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Straight_4_N/a
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Ford Focus Mk1 1.8 Zetec
(same running costs as the 1.6 but you have the extra power if you need it to get out of trouble)
Old 28-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Straight_4_N/a

heres some
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus...item35c36700ac

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Ford-...item589a86a132

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus...item27cf373f7b
Old 29-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Daniel-1986
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Straight_4_N/a
Ford Focus Mk1 1.8 Zetec
(same running costs as the 1.6 but you have the extra power if you need it to get out of trouble)
thats wat i got for my first focus and paid £500 for it with 81k on the clock FSH and in LX spec , i looked at gettin 1.4 but found the 1.8 instead. personally if u using the car around town with minimal motorway driving a diesel is no better than a petrol for that, diesels are ideal if u do long distance driving alot
Old 29-01-2013, 05:46 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The first thing I would ask is how many miles are you doing each year ?

As said if you don't do many miles then go for a petrol and I would suggest the 1.8, the 1.4 will feel under powered and the 1.6 may not give you many more miles to the gallon than a 1.8. As said make sure the cam belt has been done on anything over 8 years old or with more than 80k on it (my mate works on Focus's and Ford advised them of the lower interval instead of 10 years or 100k !). Check under the door mirrors as they can rust where the mirror starts to rub through the paint on the door skin. If you get a 5 door have a really good look around the edges of the doors as they can rust quite badly if left unchecked, they can also suffer from leaks from the thermostat housing but its by no means a big deal. Apart from that its a case of all the checks you would carry out on any used car but on the whole they are pretty honest motors.

I have a 04 plate TDCI Sport that I bought on the recommendation of my mate and after almost four years of ownership I still love it. It goes well enough, is good on fuel and with the 17's on it the handling is fantastic !

Last edited by uruk hai; 29-01-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 29-01-2013, 06:27 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

From what I have always been lead to believe, the 'Zetec models' springs are slightly uprated?

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 29-01-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 29-01-2013, 06:36 PM
uruk hai

From what I have always been lead to believe, the 'Zetec models' springs are slightly uprated?

Martin
Yes, it looks that way which is why I've edited my post but you managed to quote it in time

From what I've read it does look to be "sportier" but I don't know if its the same as the set up on my Sport or for the petrols the same as the ST170.

For some reason quite a few sellers are trying to pass off the TDCI Edge as the TDCI Sport and I know that only the ST and Sport have the small round front fogs. Not that all my waffle matters as I think the OP wants a 1.6 or 1.8 petrol
Old 29-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Straight_4_N/a

The Zetec is the ’sporty’ edition of the Focus with its sports suspension and sports-style front seats, like the ghia it features the higher end engines:
  • 1.6i 16V 3 & 5 door hatch and estate (all available as automatic transmission)
  • 1.8i 16V 3 & 5 door hatch and estate
  • 2.0i 16V 3 & 5 door hatch and estate
  • 1.8 TDdi 3 & 5 door hatch and estate
  • 1.8 TDCi 3 & 5 door hatch and estate (available as 100 PS or 115 PS versions)
The Zetec comes with 15″ 5 x 2 spoke alloys, front fog lights, remote central / double locking & the ICE 6000 front load CD / radio with column mounted controls.
The ’sports’ features of this model include sports-style front seats, leather trimmed steering wheel, metallic grey gear knob, graphite-effect instrument cluster controls, titanium-effect grey facia & of course sports suspension.
The 2.0i model increased the wheels to 16″, replaces the stereo with the ICE 6006N 6-dish in-dash CD changer and additionally includes electrically operated and heated door mirrors, ‘quickclear’ heated front windscreen with heated washer jets, rear disc brakes, anti-lock brakes and traction control.
The interior boasted Midnight Leather Trim, the 6006 RDS 6 Disc Front Loading CD Player, heated front windscreen, Ford PATS immobilising system & air con.
Old 29-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Straight_4_N/a

The Ghia is considered the ‘luxury’ model as it comes fitted with the most gadgets, it also features a higher range of engines. Like the LX, it too has a range of available engines & body styles:
  • 1.6i 16V saloon, 5 door hatch & estate (saloon and hatchavailable with automatic transmission, estate is auto only)
  • 1.8i 16V saloon, 5 door hatch & estate
  • 2.0i 16V saloon, 5 door hatch and estate (all available with automatic transmission)
  • 1.8 TDdi saloon, 5 door hatch and estate
  • 1.8 TDCi saloon, 5 door hatch and estate (available as 100 PS or 115 PS versions)
Extra gadgets include 15″ 12-spoke alloys, body coloured side mouldings, door handles & radiator grille, front fog lights, electric front and rear windows with global opening / closing, electric operated and heated door mirrors, dark wood effect door and facia trim, ‘Ghia’ scuff plates and 2 map lights, front footwell light & rear courtesy light.
Extra comfort comes in the form of driver’s seat power height adjustment & manual lumbar adjustment, driver’s armrest, leather trimmed steering wheel & gear knob, rear seat folding centre arm rest & carpet floor mats.
Old 29-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Straight_4_N/a

The LX is the next step up from the CL and is available in a wider range of engines and body style combinations:
  • 1.4i 16V 3 door hatch
  • 1.6i 16V saloon, 5 door hatch or estate (all available with automatic transmission)
  • 1.8i 16V saloon, 5 door hatch or estate
  • 1.8 TDdi saloon, estate or 5 door hatch
  • 1.8 TDCi estate or 5 door hatch (both available as 100 PS or 115 PS versions)
The LX’s additional features include 15″ 8×2 spoke alloy wheels, ‘quickclear’ heated front windscreen with heated washer jets, remote central / double locking, upgraded stereo system with front loading CD and column-mounted controls, air conditioning & a titanium-effect grey facia (over the CL’s black facia).
Old 29-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Straight_4_N/a

The CL is available with a 1.4i 16V engine in either 3 or 5 door hatch, a 1.6i 16V engine as an estate or a 1.8 TDdi engine as a 5 door hatch or estate.
Its trim level is the most basic of the 4 models as far as luxury & gadgets, however it still boasts central locking, front electric windows, drivers seat manual height adjustment, adjustable steering column, interior power tailgate release, front twin airbags & an engine immobiliser (PATS).
Old 29-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Straight_4_N/a

LIMITED EDITIONS
Focus Silver
Based on a 1.6 LX & the first limited edition based on the facelift focus, the Focus Silver came in metallic machine silver with driver & front passenger air bags, 15″ 3×2 spoke alloys, a meshed front grill and a chrome exhaust trim.
Midnight Black perforated leather trim, heated driver’s and front passenger’s seats, front passenger and side airbags Anti -lock brakes, air con, remote control radio/CD system – Model 6000 & “Quickclear” heated door mirrors.

focus silver
Focus Chic
Two Focus’s were brought out in 2002 aimed at women, these were the “Chic” and “Elle”.
Powered by a 1.6i 16V petrol engine, the Chic came only in metallic Magnum Grey with 15″ 2×3 spoke alloys, ABS, driver & front passenger air bags, side airbags and finished with a chrome tailpipe.
The interior featured Midnight Black perforated leather trim, air con, remote control radio/CD system , “Quickclear” heated front windscreen, remote control heated door mirrors & remote central locking with boot release.

focus chic
Focus Elle
Created to celebrate a partnership between Ford Focus and leading style magazine, Elle, Ford Focus Elle’s luxury specification includes Moondust Silver metallic paint, Midnight Black heated leather seats, 15-inch 3×2 spoke alloy wheels, chrome tailpipe, 1.6-litre Zetec engine, remote CD player and air-conditioning.
A high level of safety also comes as standard, including ABS and Ford’s Intelligent Protection System with front and side airbags. Production of the Elle was limited to 2,000 models, continuing the trend set by the Ford Focus Black, Silver and Chic special editions.

focus elle
Focus Flight
Developed from the five-door facelift LX, Focus Flight offers Ford’s Intelligent Protection System dual front airbags, air-conditioning, stereo radio cassette, 15-inch steel wheels and responsive 1.6-litre 16v Zetec engine.
Exterior colour Colorado Red with the choice of two trims – black or medium dark graphite martre cloth.
Options included ‘Quickclear’ heated windscreen, 6006 CD/radio & Moondust Silver and Metropolis Blue metallic paint.

focus flight
Focus MP3
Another Special Edition aimed at the younger generation, based on the 3-door facelift 1.8 Zetec is the “Focus MP3″.
It’s called the MP3 as it came equipped with the 6000 MP3/CD/radio headunit allowing you to play over 250 MP3 files on one CD. The Focus MP3 only comes in one colour – metallic Metropolis Blue and sits on a set of 17″ 7-spoke alloys.
Features include heated windscreen and washer jets, and electrically-operated and heated door mirrors, driver & front passenger air bags & front seat belt pre-pensioners & a unique blue harlequin seat trim.
Options include the climate pack (air con & quickclear heated front screen), rear tailgate spoiler & chrome exhaust trim.

focus mp3
Millennium Focus
In 1999 Ford won the Design Council’s Award for being innovative, creative & pioneering in their field. To celebrate this Ford brought out Millennium Edition’s of three of their most popular cars – the Ka, Puma and Focus (which were largely responsible for the award in the first place). The Focus Millennium was based on the pre-facelift 5-door 1.8 Ghia and came in one colour only millennium yellow!
To show off the capabilities of the car, Ford equipped the Millennium edition with all the gadgets – power steering, ABS, air con, twin air bags, quick clear front windscreen, electric mirrors, remote central locking and a full heated leather interior.
As with other limited editions, only 1,000 were produced!

focus millennium
Focus Ebony
The latest edition to the special edition Focus’s is the Ebony, based on the 3-door 1.6 this car is certainly not short of extras.
With panther black paint, leather interior trim, air con, ‘quickclear’ front window, powered heated electric mirrors, parking distance sensor, front & side airbags, the CD 6006 (in-dash 6-disc changer) ICE pack, 15″ 3×2 alloys, ABS, traction control, Zetec sports suspension, chrome exhaust trim, chrome upper grill, titanium front scuff plates and heated front seats.
This is clearly an updated version of the Focus Black using the facelift model.

focus ebony
Focus Collection
The Focus Collection was the first special edition model to be released in the UK, aiming to appeal to the younger car buyer Ford fitted a 1.8 Zetec with meshed front and rear bumpers (incorporating round front fogs to replace the standard triangular ones) and a nice meshed upper grill.
A rear spoiler and chrome exhaust trim finished off the exterior styling & the car was mounted on unique 3 x 2 spoke alloys.
The interior also featured sports style front seats with a unique blue trimming, a leather covered steering wheel & gear knob, and unique floor mats with a blue Focus logo.
The Collection edition was released in 4 colours, panther black, moondust silver, sapphire blue & diamond white as a 3-door or 5-door hatch – although the bumpers will also fit the saloon & estate models, Ford actually made a collection rear bumper for the estate.

focus collection
Focus Black
Based on a 1.6 LX, the Focus Black came in only one colour – black. With anti-lock brakes, traction control, 15″ 3×2 alloys, meshed front grill, electrically operated\heated door mirrors, reverse sensors & remote double central locking.

focus black
Old 29-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Straight_4_N/a

I think that covers all the basic trims so now engines......

1.4 and 1.6 zetec-se engine.
Total pointless in a ford focus as there to gutless and cost just as much as the 1.8 zetec-r engine and it should have stayed in the fiesta (well yes before anyone says the focus was the first to have 1.6 but it shouldnt have been fitted in a car so heavy)

1.8 and 2.0 zetec-r engine.
Both good runners which are very simmar in power and mpg ect but the 1.8 is the cheaper to run and buy and unlike the 1.4/1.6 the engines its not weak as hell and if your looking to keep it as cheap as posible i would go for the 1.8 zetec-r as it has the best of all worlds.

1.8 tdci and tddi
I really cant say much about these engines in the focus but these would only be suited to high motorway milage.
Old 29-01-2013, 08:14 PM
uruk hai

1.8 tdci and tddi
I really cant say much about these engines in the focus but these would only be suited to high motorway milage.
I've got to disagree with that, I don't do high motorway miles, in fact I don't do many miles but the car suites me just fine. Horses for courses
Old 29-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Straight_4_N/a

Originally Posted by uruk hai
I've got to disagree with that, I don't do high motorway miles, in fact I don't do many miles but the car suites me just fine. Horses for courses
Thats why i said i can't say much lol, Ive had the one engine in a fiesta mk4 but thats loads lighter so does better mpg in every way but then ive also had a mondeo mk3 2.0 derv yes not the same engine i know but that was shockingly bad! broke down every year turbo went three times and mpg other than motorway driving was less than 20mpg.
Old 29-01-2013, 08:43 PM
uruk hai

Not good then , cracking write up by the way
Old 29-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Straight_4_N/a

Originally Posted by uruk hai
Not good then , cracking write up by the way
The turbos on mondeo mk3s are a coman fault and there not bloody cheap either £1,500 from ford and other is the wastegate acutor which on the iirc 115bhp model would also break all the time and there not normal ones there eltrical and could only be bought with the turbo

Thanks but i just nicked all the trims from the focus club im in and the engines are just my views (Which i do have both zetec-se engine zetec-r enignes lol)
Old 29-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Daniel-1986
Regular Contributor

mines a lx and seems quite well spec'd, obviously option extras added on mine

what my focus has got

Primary Features Build Date: 09.03.2000 Vehicle Line: Focus 1998-2005 Body Style: 5 Door Saloon Version: Series 20 Engine: 1.8L Zetec-E EFI (115PS)Transmission: 5 Speed Manual Transaxle - B5/IB5Axle Ratio: 4.06Emission: EEC 96 Car (EEC 1)Air Conditioning: Manual Air ConditioningTerritory: (+)"GB"Paint: Moondust Silver (Metallic)Interior Fabric: Finesse / Midnight Black

what i has and hasnt got

Valencia Plant Built
Security Lock Group #3
Less Special Equipment Package
Less Power Equipment Group
Less Dress Up RSO
CLX
Less Safety Packs
Less Electronic Stability Control
Less Luxury Package
Less Heated Windscreen
Less Spoiler
Drivers Remote Convex Mirror
Passenger Remote Convex Mirror
With Body Coloured Exterior Mirror
Less LH Lumbar Support
Less RH Lumbar Support
Less Rear Centre Headrest
Less Temp Control Driver Seat
Less Temp Control Passengers Seat
With Driver 4 Way Mnl.Seat Adjuster
Remote Deck/Tailgate Release
With Central Locking System
With Door Dead Locks
With Door Entry Remote Control Unit
Less Sun Roof
With Driver Air Bag
With Passenger Air Bag
With Steel Spare Wheel
5 1/2J x 14" Steel Road Wheel
185/65 x 14H Tyres
With Full Wheel Cover
With Standard Suspension
Less Attitude/Ride Height Pack
Less Anti-Lock Braking System
Less Anti-Spin Traction System
Less Skid Plates
Standard Front Seat
Less Speed Control
Less Auxiliary Warning Display
Less CD Player
5000 RDS EON
Ice Feature Pack 2
With 4 Speakers
Less Telephone
With Column Stalk Radio Controls
With Smokers Package
Less Front Fog Lamps

tho mines got 15" 5x2 alloys and had a 6000 cd player

Last edited by Daniel-1986; 29-01-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 30-01-2013, 12:25 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats why i said i can't say much lol, Ive had the one engine in a fiesta mk4 but thats loads lighter so does better mpg in every way but then ive also had a mondeo mk3 2.0 derv yes not the same engine i know but that was shockingly bad! broke down every year turbo went three times and mpg other than motorway driving was less than 20mpg.
You can't compare a old Focus derv with the infamous Mondeo MK3 derv, modern Dervs on the whole are unreliable, with the advent of DPF, DMF, and the Mondeo is further hindered by it's injectors problems.

The Foci 1800 Derv is a tried and tested old engine.

Martin
Old 09-02-2013, 02:03 AM
Twizz
Out of many, we are one.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Foci 1800 Derv is a tried and tested old engine.

Martin
+1

I'm doing over 400 miles a week... The body has done 172k whilst the engine has done 72k (previous injector pump went at 135k - due to me having a low mileage engine sitting there it was more feasible just to drop the lot in as opposed to getting the injector pump done).

With regular servicing and a bit of love she's been a beaut. I've been getting 51mpg on the motorway (and I'm heavy footed).

(Mines a 1999 Focus Zetec TDDi (1.8L 90BHP))
Old 09-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Lee-87
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Hi ,buy the 1.8 , there not as bad on mpg as some people make out , im driving a 53 plate 1.8 zetec , love it ! Goes well and surprisingly chuckable in the bends for 5 door family hatch , took me by surprise when I first picked it up
Old 09-02-2013, 01:54 PM
SmudgerByName
Ford Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, a 1.8 is a truely remarkable engine getting the MPG you are asking for as well as the performance to match. it isnt that bad of any engine. I currently have a 1.6 in my estate but when that goes (and it soon will i think) ill look for either a 1.8 or a 2.0 depending what I can get a cheapish engine for
Old 09-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Daniel-1986
Regular Contributor

my 1.8 gets about the same mpg as my old 1.4 8v mk2 seat Ibiza which was about 30 mpg around town (bearing in mind that's a much smaller and lighter car than the focus)and gets over the 40 mph on motorway run
Old 14-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Thrustyjust
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Just bought a 2000 Zetec 1.6 for my daughter. It has the Zetec S engine in it. Is this the same as the earlier silver tops in the Escorts and mondeos? Seems a good little car with 70k miles on it . Little bit of bubbling in the rear doors and tailgate to cure, but other than that a nice straight car. Everything works and for a grand a motor that will last hopefully a few years.
Things to look out for
1/ Rusty doors and wheelarches. Mate saw a 2003 Ghia in a bodyshop today aslo at 70k miles. Was rotten as a pear. Going to get scrapped at 10yrs old !!
2/ Rear wheelbearings, seems they like to rumble
3/ Suspension clunks and squeaks
4/ Everything electric works
5/ Signs of regular oil changes keeps the zetec a happy engine.

So far, she is happy with it, although I will know by Sunday when she takes it back to Uni with her 200 miles away, as to its reliability. Just sorted the breakdown cover in case !!
Old 15-02-2013, 12:22 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrustyjust
Just bought a 2000 Zetec 1.6 for my daughter. It has the Zetec S engine in it. Is this the same as the earlier silver tops in the Escorts and mondeos? Seems a good little car with 70k miles on it .
No completely different, the old "Silver top" was found in Escorts.

The Sigma engine you have was all new in the Focus and is a collaboration between Mazda and Yamaha.

Martin
Old 15-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Thrustyjust
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Martin, I thought the sigma was the plastic black top engine labelled the SE ?, this is a silver rocker cover with a small black cover over the plug leads. The sigma leads were always visible. If its the same as the sigma, then thats great. They are good engines. The haynes manual doesnt say theres a difference. They have the 1.4 as the SE version and the 1.6 as the silvertop like mine, weirdly.
Old 16-02-2013, 08:42 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrustyjust
Martin, I thought the sigma was the plastic black top engine labelled the SE ?, this is a silver rocker cover with a small black cover over the plug leads. The sigma leads were always visible. If its the same as the sigma, then thats great. They are good engines. The haynes manual doesnt say theres a difference. They have the 1.4 as the SE version and the 1.6 as the silvertop like mine, weirdly.
There exactly the same barring some very minor revisions, there are two different 'phases' of this engine, denoted 1 and 2 respectively.

You have the phase 1, it should have "Zetec-S" written on the cam cover? (This is where the Fiesta with the same name derived from, as that model borrowed the engine) the phase 2 came along later and as you say that has Zetec-SE written on the cam cover.

I suspect yours is a MK1 Focus (with the indicators in the bumpers) pre facelift or MK 1.5 in other words?

The 1.4, again, is the same engine, just smaller capacity, as is the 1.25 found in Fiestas, there was also a 1.7 version of the engine which was fitted to Pumas.

Martin