Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Looks like I need a new router modem then....

Search this Thread

Old 13-01-2006 | 06:05 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Default Looks like I need a new router modem then....

A few months ago, my trusty SafeCom 4 port ADSL modem router decided it didn't like port 3 and more and gave up So I was left with ports 1,2 + 4 which was okay as we only have 3 pc's connected to it anyway...

But last night the modem was being slow as fuck, so I went into diagnostics and rebooted it from one of the machines, which worked at first, but ten mins later it refused to let me get onto websites, although it was showing (on the two machines that were switched on) that it had network connection...

So I unplugged it and left it over night, which I have done loads of times before as it's a good way of letting it settle down and reboot itself.

Plugged it back in this morn before I went to work and thought no more about it. Come home and there's a note on the downstairs PC saying it wouldn't access any web pages and that it said there was no network connection. Checked the front panel of the router and noticed the light for port 4 was also out - which is connected to to the downstairs PC So looks like that port has died as well

So now we have three PC's and only two working ports! Fucking things only 14months old aswell

So, I need an ADSL modem with intergrated 4x 10/100 ethernet ports, that does it's own set up (all that gateway and subnet mask shit, I ain't got the foggiest!)

Any idea's? I saw this one on Ebuyer;

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=48449

Which I think is just the new version of the one I have now (mine was £40 inc post when I got it, so this is only a fiver cheaper)

All my PC's are wired in, but it would be nice to have a wireless access point as part of the router aswell, but it's not a nesecity(sp), as it would only be usefull if any more PC's were introduced to the house, tho I am thinking of maybe getting a laptop at some point so I could install a wireless PCMCIA card into it to take advantage of the Wireless Access Point.......

Anyone got any better/cheaper idea's???
Old 16-01-2006 | 11:13 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Anyone help me out with understanding this;

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=WAG54G

Is it a modem aswell as a router? Cos on a net search it shows up as a modem aswell as a router, but i don't know if thats right, as that page says you plug it into an ADSL microfilter? WTF is one of those?

If I buy one of them, can I plug it straight into the phone socket and connect PC's to it and it will work? Or do I need a seperate modem?
Old 16-01-2006 | 11:26 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Or this one - any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NETGEAR-54-Mbp...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 16-01-2006 | 02:21 PM
Dan B
Advanced PassionFord User

Assuming that 2nd one is the Netgear DG834G v2, which is what it looks like, then I've got one at home......works quite nicely, copes with a thousand or so bittorrent-connections without breaking a sweat (probably more, but never tried), and maintains a wireless connection to my laptop at the same time. Never had any problems with it...

The Linksys, first link, looks like it's been superceded by a newer model, but looking at the description, it does have an integrated modem......a microfilter is just the device that plugs into each phone-socket, to filter between ADSL signals and telephony signals.
Old 16-01-2006 | 02:27 PM
James_RScos
Advanced PassionFord User

I would go with the Netgear if you dont mind spending a bit more money for quality mate we always have netgear at work/home.

But the Linksys WAG54G is good to not read any reports on it so carnt say how good they are we have some of there hubs and they seem ok and YES it is a modem and router.

ADSL microfilter = the filter goes inbetwwen the modem and the socket and your modem and phone plugs into it.

Old 16-01-2006 | 03:00 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Oh, like one of these?

Got one of them plugged into each phone socket so that okay

Might go with the Linksys one as we have one a lot like it at work and it's been fairly trouble free - is on 24/7 but seems to behave. Fir wired ports it's fine - my work PC is hardwaried into it and it's been 100% trouble free. The wireless PC's have gone down a couple of times on it but not a lot....... Like I said I am not that fussed about wireless as I don't have any wireless PC's at the mo, but if I'm buying again I might aswell jump on that wagon, which could be possible in the future
Old 16-01-2006 | 08:51 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I would go for Netgear, but thats all I have ever used and they have been faultless.

Trending Topics

Old 17-01-2006 | 10:59 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Well, had some conflicting advice now, and been told by the IT crew in my office to go for the Linksys one as alledgedly their performance is the same, but the support and back up from Linksys is supposed to be better. Firmware updates etc....

So I dunno now....