Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

apple mac prob

Search this Thread

Old 16-03-2005, 08:41 PM
cris
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default apple mac prob

hi techies,

i have a problem, recently bought an applemac ibook for my otherhalf, we are having trouble getting it to connect to broadband net via the wireless airport system,
can any one point out where we might be making a mistake, the current set up is the ibook, an airport extreme wireless receiver (looks like a mains plug), a netscape router and its all connnected to wannadoo broadband

the broadband works fine through the use bb modem which came with the package and 56k phoneline , but does not work on the wireless connection. says cant find server.
the router allows access to the web based setup/maintainace page and nothing else. everything works but does not work together
ive spent over an hour on tech support lines to wannadoo who are damn rude and netscape who are crap. wannadoo say phone netscape and guess what netscape say phone wannadoo....

so theres my prob, i think its a software prob ie not compatable with mac products because nothing else has given me so much agg to set up before. any ideas peeps?

also what bb provider would you choose for normal home use?

thanks in advance,

cris
Old 17-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing to do with Appletalk is it?
Old 18-03-2005, 05:44 AM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Do you have the extreme or express?(you wrote extreme, but described the express)Let's get the stupid questions out of the way...
So you can go online with the wire right? but when you try the wireless it doesn't see the connection.?
The ibook does have the airport card installed?
How many computers are you using? are they wireless?
You've called the ISP, have you called Apple? most ISP techs when it comes to the Mac are clueless.
Old 18-03-2005, 06:42 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm afriad I have no experiance of Mac's, but, is the router connected to the Imac ? Or have you just plugged your wannadoo broadband modem into the router, and are then trying to connect to it via wireless ? If so, have you run the router configuration and set the wireless network up, and then done the same on the mac ?
Old 20-03-2005, 03:26 AM
Dan B
Advanced PassionFord User

Can't say I've ever heard of a "Netscape router", but anyway...

When you say "the router allows access to the web based setup/maintainace page and nothing else", I assume that means that, with the airport card connected to the iBook and the airport-extreme connected to the router, that you can access the router's web-config pages? If so, then the wireless-part is working fine......it also means your IP-addressing "should" also be fine on the iBook.

Next thing to check, does the router have its own built-in ADSL-modem, or are you connecting a PC with an ADSL-modem to the router to supply a connection to the rest of your network? If the latter option, then you'll need to configure the PC to share the connection and the iBook to use the PC (and not the router) as a gateway to the internet. If the former option, then it "should" all work fine.

If the router does have its own built-in modem, and you can connect fine with the PC, then just need to run a few tests on the iBook. I've never used one, but if it's new, I'm going to assume it's running Mac OS X......if so, fire up the terminal (from memory, Go -> Utilities (may need to go into "Applications" first). This will give you a Unix-like command-line interface. Now, Wanadoo should have given you some numeric (IP) addresses for their DNS servers, which we will use as a test here (if they didn't, just use 212.58.224.113 instead - BBC's website).

Basically, at that command-prompt, type in the following: ping 212.58.224.113 (swap for Wanadoo's own DNS server's, if you have the addresses)

After pressing return, you should see something along the lines of the following (press Ctrl-C to stop it running):

PING 212.58.224.113 (212.58.224.113): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 212.58.224.113: icmp_seq=0 ttl=249 time=21.823 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.224.113: icmp_seq=1 ttl=249 time=22.425 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.224.113: icmp_seq=2 ttl=249 time=22.299 ms
If you do see the above, then I'd say it's a DNS issue on the iBook, as connectivity to the outside world would seem to be working fine. If it does work, try the following: ping www.bbc.co.uk

If you get the following, it's definitely a DNS issue:

ping: cannot resolve www.bbc.co.uk: Unknown host
To fix that, you'll need to go into the network-properties in your System Properties, and manually add Wanadoo's DNS servers into the relevant section (if you don't have them, you'll need to ask Wanadoo for them - they normally come in pairs).
Old 20-03-2005, 08:48 PM
cris
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first thanks for the replies guys,

fastmaul,
youre right its an airport express, (i got a bit mixed up after the 4th hour messing about with it all.)

the net works fine on a bb cable modem which plugs in to the usb port.

the ibook does have the airport card inplace and is connected shows strong signal on ibook display and express unit lights up green.

we only have one computer to connect to this system.

im ringing apple shop tomorrow to ask them went up there on sat after classic cars live at the ally pali but it was packed, so bird shopped instead.

DanRSturbo,

yep configured the ibook, airport express and router with software provided.

Dan B,

my mistake its a netgear router, it does not have a internal modem, we were using the freebie wanadoo modem connected to the router.
it does use mac OSX ill try the above info before going up to apple shop

thanks again guys
Old 21-03-2005, 02:00 AM
Ztee24
Advanced PassionFord User

please remove

Last edited by Ztee24; 14-05-2014 at 04:31 AM.