Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

ford focus mk1 trip computer ouside temp sensor where is it ?

Search this Thread

Old 26-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Delta-Force
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford focus mk1 trip computer ouside temp sensor where is it ?

hi all ive fitted a trip computer and info button stalk to my focus and its in and working mpg etc but i cant find the wireing for the outside temp sensor i found a plug behind the drivers side headlight thats got some kind of resistor pack plugged into it but im not sure if thats it or not ?

can anyone help me ive had the lower grill off and had my hand up the back of the bumper but still cant find it just wonderd if its hidden away in the engine bay ?

cheers mark
Old 26-02-2010, 08:48 PM
matt1983uk
Virgin

Hi, I'm looking to install a trip computer in my 51 plate focus and too would like to know where to look for the temp sensor connector (I've read it is normally attached to the crash bar: "if you can get under the front of the car , and look up behind the radiator, you'll see a redundant plug clipped into the front crash bar, it looks similar to the lamba sensor plug, if its there the loom is fitted.")

Also Delta-Force could you tell me where you found the trip computer connector stowed? It's reportedly taped up to the loom somewhere but there a conflicting reports of exactly where.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 26-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Delta-Force

hi ive heard not all the cars have the plug fitted for the comp so id have a look first before buying any kit on mine it was right behind the clocks taped onto the big impact bar the plug looks a bit like the one for the clocks just so you know what to look for anyway .. i didnt evan check just won the comp very cheap on ebay and thought id try it and it works for bought a stalk and outside temp sensor etc then =)

yeah thats what i thought i removed the lower bumper grill and got my hand right behind the lock but found nothing there gutted gonna have another look today though will post up results anyway and let people know

cheers mark
Old 27-02-2010, 08:04 AM
matt1983uk
Virgin

Hi Mark,

I did the same as you, got the trip computer really cheap on ebay and thought I'd see if the wiring was there once I knew what the connector looked like, if it's not supported then I'll just put the trip computer back on ebay. I'll only order the temp sens/stalk/dash surround once I know if the loom is there.

I did read that ford normally fitted either all the connections or none, so theoretically if you have the trip computer connector the temp sens one should be there.

I had read the trip connector was behind the centre console air vents so took the radio and airvents out yesterday, could only see bunch of wires behind impact bar. Thanks for the pointer as it will be much easier if it's behind the clocks.

Matt
Old 27-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Delta-Force

no prob i also read it was behind the vents myself but i pulled my headunit out and didnt find anything there so removed the clocks to check if there was anything on that side and it was taped to the bar at the back yeah the outside temp plug has got to be there somewhere i would of thought its just finding it .

it was cold and wet yesterday and my cars lowerd so between that and the engine gaurd i could not see much i removed the lower grill but could not find anything taped onto the crash bar or behind it ive got a tis cd here so have been looking on there it says pin 8 BN/YE and pin 9 WH/BK are the wires for the sensor so today i will have a look if they are there on my loom also someone else said the plug is clipped onto the back of the rad this could be right as theres about 8 to 10 inch of wire on the sensor ive got will post my results later today anyway as this post should help others too i looked high and low for the info and found almost nothing tbh .

cheers mark
Old 27-02-2010, 10:20 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I always thought the sensor was in the centre behind the crash bar, might take a bit of fiddling to find it though!
Old 27-02-2010, 10:28 AM
fiestamk2
Regular Contributor

is the item you bought off ebay a genuine ford item?where does the temp gauge mount on the dash?does anyone have any pics of this set up please

Trending Topics

Old 27-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Delta-Force

Originally Posted by Rich170
I always thought the sensor was in the centre behind the crash bar, might take a bit of fiddling to find it though!
yeah i think its ment to be pal but im retro fitting the trip comp in my focus so its not got one standard most of the wireing is there just hidden away as the comp was a optional extra ive only the outside temp left to do ill find it lol
Old 27-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Delta-Force

Originally Posted by fiestamk2
is the item you bought off ebay a genuine ford item?where does the temp gauge mount on the dash?does anyone have any pics of this set up please
hi its genuine ford mate its not a gauge its a trip computer like a small lcd screen that tells you mpg miles till empty outside temp etc they were optional extra on cars when bought new but they was fitted standard on a lot of ghia models its not as simple as just fitting the trip computer though you need a clock surround as it fits where the small coin holder is at the side of the clocks

so if you have what they call a ghia loom fitted with the optional plugs

this is just a example but you can see it on the link below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-COM...item19b975ac70

you need

1x trip computer and clock surround

1x focus or mondeo mk3 indicator stalk with info button on the end

1x outside temperature sensor

maybe a optional screenwash bottle with sensor as the comp can tell you if your low on screenwash i find this pointless so i ground pin 1 out on the loom to stop it telling me ive no screenwash as its a light that lights up and its annoying lit up all the time
Old 27-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Delta-Force

well a bit of a update the wire to bypass the washer bottle sensor is pin 1 on the trip loom if you have the plug faceing you with the wires comeing out of the bottom its the bottom left pin on the tis there is only 1 wire going to this sensor its black & orange the other wire on the sensor goes to ground so if you tap into the loom behind the trip comp and ground that wire no more annoying light saying you have no screen wash

the other thing is i still cant find the plug for the outside temp sensor i know its pin 8 and pin 9 on the trip comp plug brown & yellow and white & black wires so today i spliced into them and wired the outside temp sensor in the car just to test it and it works so when ive got more time i can trace the wires to the front of the car or at worst add my own wires from the comp to the sensor theres a loom that runs right across the bar under the bumper that has black trunking over it so it maybe tucked inside there i will try and have a look when i can and post my results up

cheers mark
Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
velaikara
Virgin

The outside temperature sender unit is on the crossmember just behind the grille.It is approx 12 inches inboardofthe horn which is fixed to the same crossmember.The wires toitcomeout of the same loom asthe horn wires,

I have problems with the outside air temperature read out as since the cold spell it is stuck at -37 degrees. I can't find a way of re setting it. I have changed the sender unit but that makes no difference,,,,so any helpwould be most welcome cheers
Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
craig_southampton

When i first fitted my trip computer it said the out side temp was reading like -40 it was cold but not that cold lol i tryed every thing trying to sort it but left the car for a couple of hours and when i got back in it had reset its self so u might find yours might reset its self to.

Last edited by craig_southampton; 03-03-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 PM
velaikara
Virgin

I've just taken a look and it now reads 7 degrees......my out door house thermometer shows 4 degrees so I suppose 3 degrees is neither here nor there...many thanks.... I was on the point of putting the old one back just to check if the new one was faulty!
Cheers
Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Delta-Force

hi mate cheers for that ive found the place the sensor clips into on the cross member i just cant find the loom to plug it in wheres the horn is it behind the drivers headlight ? cheers mark

Originally Posted by velaikara
The outside temperature sender unit is on the crossmember just behind the grille.It is approx 12 inches inboardofthe horn which is fixed to the same crossmember.The wires toitcomeout of the same loom asthe horn wires,

I have problems with the outside air temperature read out as since the cold spell it is stuck at -37 degrees. I can't find a way of re setting it. I have changed the sender unit but that makes no difference,,,,so any helpwould be most welcome cheers
Old 04-03-2010, 08:56 AM
velaikara
Virgin

I have taken a couple of photos of where the sensor joins the loom on my Focus... e mail me at mike@downs-ndt.com and I will send them......I can't workout how to insert then in this message.....cheers
Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Delta-Force

cheers for that pal ive got a plug like that behind my drivers headlight but the wires are the wrong colour not sure what thats for ?

but that plug you posted its 100% the right one wires are WH/BK & BN/YE these are pin 3 and pin 4 on the trip comp plug ive got a good idea where it is now though i will get on it again today
Old 06-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Delta-Force

right bit of a update i removed my battery tray and battery pas headlight grill intercooler and cover along with the lower bumper grill and checked the loom from the horn it splits into 2 one goes to pas fog light and the other goes to the horns i had a lood look around the crash bar behind the bumper and on the chasis legs and cant for the life of me find this outside temp plug the wires are there on the plug that goes into the trip comp display inside the car and ive tested these with the sensor and it works fine .. but im thinking the wires are taped off someware in the loom i opened the loom caseing under the battery tray and theres no WH/BK & BN/YE wires in the loom so it must end before it gets into the engine bay so might have to extend the wires from inside but its only 2 wires so not all bad i guess

oh the joys lol

Last edited by Delta-Force; 06-03-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:39 PM
craig_southampton

Originally Posted by Delta-Force
right bit of a update i removed my battery tray and battery pas headlight grill intercooler and cover along with the lower bumper grill and checked the loom from the horn it splits into 2 one goes to pas fog light and the other goes to the horns i had a lood look around the crash bar behind the bumper and on the chasis legs and cant for the life of me find this outside temp plug the wires are there on the plug that goes into the trip comp display inside the car and ive tested these with the sensor and it works fine .. but im thinking the wires are taped off someware in the loom i opened the loom caseing under the battery tray and theres no WH/BK & BN/YE wires in the loom so it must end before it gets into the engine bay so might have to extend the wires from inside but its only 2 wires so not all bad i guess

oh the joys lol
The wire should be clip to the front crossmember if you take the lower grill out not the top one and put your hand up and just slide your hand along it you should feel it clip to the crossmember. ive fitted 5 of trip computers to diffrent focuses and theyve all been there. and it not a focus rs your tring to fit it to is it?
Old 07-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Delta-Force

hi pal no its a 2002 zetec tdci i checked every part of the cross member and its not there checked all over the front end with no joy . i evan opened the loom under the battery tray so its before the cross member they should be here and the br/ye wh/bk wires arnt in the loom so today i made a 2 wire loom taped it all up and ran it from the sensor that i clipped into the cross member to pin 3 and pin 4 on the plug on the back of the trip comp used a t.i.s cd to determine witch colour wire went to witch pin on the sensor though

works a treat now i checked the wires for resistance first and there was nothing so joined them at the back of the display and jobs a good en

the original sensor wires arnt in the loom under the bay so ive got a feeling there behind the dash unused ive bypassed the washer sensor so ive no idea if the wires are there for that should of checked really as it would of give me a better idea if they came under the bonnet there is a unused plug with somthing diode pack like behind the drivers headlight but its not the outside temp diff colour wires too no idea what thats for though ?
Old 19-06-2010, 01:59 AM
Nick_E
Virgin

Just for infomation, I have recently fitted a trip computer to my focus ghia (x plate). Found the plug by following the loom from the horns (behind offside front light) across the top of the grill towards the bonnet latch. The plug is just behind / under the latch.
Old 19-01-2011, 03:40 PM
the_ace
Virgin

Delta-Force how did you trace pin 1? My trip loom has two black and orange cables coming off it so I don't know which one to ground out to stop the screenwash light coming on!
Old 19-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Delta-Force

hi i just tried it pal as you put it to ground so ground it first and then tap it onto the pins on the pin at the back of the plug without modding any wireing etc the light will go off when its the right one hope this helps mate this thread is almost a year old now lol cheers mark
Old 19-01-2011, 06:07 PM
the_ace
Virgin

I gave up after cutting both the orange and black and grounding them without the light going off so I just blanked the light off with blue tac inside it and you can't see it.
Old 19-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Delta-Force

i did have a pin out for the plug labeling the pin at the time so it was easy but

ive formatted the comp since though ive not had the car for some time now i was going to remove the bulb on mine as well lol
Old 22-04-2012, 01:54 PM
mohitgadhok
Virgin

Default Ford focus 2006 1.8 tdci sport

Hi,
I am trying to upgrade my trip computer to gain the extra features.
I have installed the new indicator arm and I have installed the new trip computer/speedo.

I can scroll trough all the menus etc but i cant start the engine! do i have to have to add anything else like an exterior temp sensor? ( i cant see why not having the exterior sensor would stop the engine from starting)

Looking forward for any help,
Thanks in advance,
Mohit Gadhok
Old 22-04-2012, 02:07 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Have you plugged in your dash cluster?
Old 22-04-2012, 05:02 PM
mohitgadhok
Virgin

Hi, yeah my trip computer is built in to the cluster. I have the washer fluid warning and outside temp warning light on but I can't see why anything would stop the engine starting. If I plug the old cluster in the car starts up as normal.

Mohit
Old 22-04-2012, 09:32 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just seen that you have 2006 Focus.

At the least, You need to get the dash cluster matched to your car on IDS (Ford dealer diag. tool) as it's part of the immobiliser system.

Last edited by GVK.; 22-04-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 23-04-2012, 12:21 PM
mohitgadhok
Virgin

I though i did have the one matched via part number on the back. so how would i know if it would work with my car.

Is there a way to find out or is it as simple as finding one out of a focus made in 2006? ( i think the one i have is out of a 2005 focus estate so that might be why)

Many thanks,
Mohit
Old 23-04-2012, 04:30 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No, it needs to be matched or 'paired' if you like, the only way is by 'programmable module installation feature' on IDS.

It may also need GEM module configuration to add the other features (temp warning etc)

It's not something I have done personally, I have only swapped 'like for like' clusters.

Last edited by GVK.; 23-04-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 22-05-2012, 07:28 PM
petayV8
Virgin

Ok im new here but thought i would sign up and shed some light on the subject. Ive been trying to find the loom for weeks now to fit my temp sensor after installing the trip. The loom was there for the trip and the WH/BL BR/YW wire were coming out of the connector so naturally of course the looms somewhere! wrong its not i found out my MK 1.5 3dr zetec has the loom in place for the trip HOWEVER the wires for the temp sensor are abandoned before they reach the bulkhead! I can comfirm 100% anyone who find the SAME connector stuffed above the driver side headlight its NOT the temp sensor loom, (in fact i pretty sure its for the ST170 self leveling HID lights option) the other loose connector coming from the fog is also NOT the temp sensor loom. So in a nut shell if the loom for the sensor isnt obvious and you cant find it where it should be (under the radiator behind lower grill ive read) then ford abandoned the loom before it reaches the engine bay FACT. maybe more common on MK1.5?

what you need to do is cut the WH/BK BN/YW wires that come out of your trip (pins 10, 11) buy some loom i bought 2.5m for each wire ran it behind dash towards glove box, theres a small hole (you can see light) where the blower fan is i ran it thru there up thru the pollen filter under some cracks in the seal, into the engine bay down past the battery to the crossmember. works a treate.

a useful bit of info is here, if you get confused with the wires etc

http://www.luckyb.pwp.blueyonder.co....too%20comp.pdf

Hope this helps everyone and save some faffing about like i have for 2 weeks!

next project, leccy mirrors. (new door loom required - ebay £10)