Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus 1.6tdci 2005 dpf problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 21-09-2013, 02:03 PM
clarky
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus 1.6tdci 2005 dpf problem ?

I've just bought a 2005 Focus 1.6tdci estate with 79k miles on the clock.

The person I bought it from sold it for spares or repairs as it had been to a garage who said it needs a new diesel particulate filter.

The dash displays "Engine systems failure" and the car is currently in limp mode.

Can I just replace the dpf for a new one and then will the car run normally or does it have to be reset on a diagnostic machine ?
Old 21-09-2013, 02:49 PM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Usually the ecu has to be told that a brand new DPF has been fitted.
This is because the ecu calculates the amount of ashes and soot and has to restart from zero.
DPF's are expensive. It could be just a sensor problem or there's a problem which causes the DPF to be full of soot.
I would get it diagnosed properly before spending a lot of money.
Old 21-09-2013, 03:10 PM
clarky
Virgin

Originally Posted by oldford
Usually the ecu has to be told that a brand new DPF has been fitted.
This is because the ecu calculates the amount of ashes and soot and has to restart from zero.
DPF's are expensive. It could be just a sensor problem or there's a problem which causes the DPF to be full of soot.
I would get it diagnosed properly before spending a lot of money.
Yeah the person I bought the car from said the garage told them the ECU would have to be reset by Ford after fitting a new DPF. Does it have to be reset by Ford or can it be done by a cheap diagnostic tool ?

I've been told that a local company will remove the DPF and sort the ECU accordingly for £400.

I can get a pattern DPF for just under £200 so I was hoping that would be the best option and then reset the ECU with a diagnostic tool if that's possible ?
Old 21-09-2013, 03:46 PM
clarky
Virgin

I meant to say above that a local company will permanently remove the DPF so no future issues with it.
Old 21-09-2013, 04:01 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

As above don't go head first into replacing the DPF without getting it diagnosed properly.

Some of these Focus have a tank under the back that has an additive fluid for the DPF and if it's empty can cause a fault/limp home mode, there is a Ford filling tool for this that dealers have.

If it's soot value is too high it may need a static regeneration where the ECU holds the engine at a high rpm with the vehicle stationary adding excess fuel to burn the soot out.
This requires the dealer tool to do this (if others can do it I don't know as only use Ford IDS)

The DPF learned values can be reset with the Ford dealer IDS tool, you may find an independent with it - whether any other types of diagnostic tool can do this I'm not sure , as only use Ford IDS at work.

I recently replaced an engine & turbo on a Transit TDCI 2011. It had oil pump failure, in turn turbo seized dumping oil into the DPF, it was that blocked it wouldn't run for longer than 5 secs unless the 02 sensor was removed from the front pipe thus venting the exhaust. New GENUINE DPF for the Transit - £1033 + VAT!

Last edited by GVK.; 21-09-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 21-09-2013, 04:16 PM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

A cheap diagnostic tool cannot reset the DPF values, nor the values for the additive when this is present. Dealer equipment is the best way, but a good (and expensive) aftermarket scanner with thorough Ford support just might could do it.
Old 22-09-2013, 08:17 AM
geordiegooner
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive the same dash display and car wont rev over 3k on my 1.8tdci focus but they don't have dpf and get no codes on a fault code reader.(yet to try anyone with a ford reader).going to strip exhaust manifold and change egr to see if that sorts it.

Trending Topics

Old 22-09-2013, 02:30 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by geordiegooner
ive the same dash display and car wont rev over 3k on my 1.8tdci focus but they don't have dpf and get no codes on a fault code reader.(yet to try anyone with a ford reader).going to strip exhaust manifold and change egr to see if that sorts it.
Just take the motor off the EGR and see if the valve in the inlet itself is seized (can be freed out), before raking the whole inlet manifold off (not a nice job)

With the motor removed plug it in and start up car and should see motor operate too.

Last edited by GVK.; 22-09-2013 at 02:32 PM.