Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

2015 Focus Titanium

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2015 Focus Titanium

I've posted this on here before but never started a project thread.

This is my current daily.
2015 Ford Focus Titanium
1.5TDCi (120ps)
Appearence Pack
Sat Nav with SYNC2
Spare Wheel

I'm actually really impressed with it. I was expecting it to feel like a downgrade from the Mondeo but it really doesn't.
The Sat Nav with SYNC is a great bit of kit and really easy to use! The only confusing bit is the fact you can control the climate with it even though there is a separate heating control panel? I feel they done it just to fill a corner on the screen!
Only gripe with it is the fingerprints!

One of the handiest features is the two USB ports and the Line In.
One USB port located under the climate control panel...

And the rest of the connections in the armrest...

It's also got a small colour display in the instrument cluster where you will find two separate trip computers and a verity of different setting and information about the car such as tyre pressures etc.

The engine?
Well it's based on the old PSA derived DV6. It's has a shorter stroke which reduces the cylinder capacity to 1.5 litres.
It's actually the quietest and smoothest diesel I've ever driven. No sign of turbo lag and It has a lovely power band from 1200rpm all the way to 5000rpm with a nice smooth and even pull right through the rev range. I'm impressed with how quick it actually feels!

Unfortunately I've had loads of issues with it, one issue is the engine intermittently bogs down and/or cuts out for a split second when you go to accelerate Ford admit they currently have no way of repairing but won't offer me a replacement car or a refund.

It always happens when you've used little to no throttle for a bit and then start to feed in some more throttle.
Sometimes the engine bogs down and feels like someone is applying the brakes before it picks up, sometimes nothing happens for a few seconds before it shoots off (almost feels like turbo lag) and sometimes the engine cuts out quite harshly for a split second before it starts to go. The latter almost feels like you hit something in the road.
The fault is intermittent, most of the time the car drives fine but I hate having anything wrong with my car and this really frustrates me.

The car has been returned to Ford 13 times, the last time it was returned I was advised by the tech at the dealer that there was a few others complaining of the same thing and it is a programming glitch with the EGR valve. As so few people were complaining of it there was nothing they could do and no repair available.

I have recorded live data of the fault happening.

The graph shows in order of top to bottom...
Throttle Position (%) in RED
Engine Speed (RPM) in GREEN
Road Speed (KPH) in LIGHT BLUE
Fuel Delivery/Flow (L/H) in PINK
Fuel Desired (MM³) in YELLOW
Fuel Rail Pressure (Volts) in BLUE
Inlet Manifold Pressure (kpa) in PINK
Mass Airflow (g/sec) in ORANGE
EGR Position (Volts) in RED
ECU Volts in GREEN.

At 1549.06s (about a third of the way across from the left) you can see on the top red line I have increased my throttle position. At which point the fuel delivery (PINK) and the Fuel Desired (YELLOW) have both nosedived to nearly zero before they start to increase. You can also see where my RPM (GREEN) dropped slightly as a result.
This is the cutting out/bogging down/hesitation I'm feeling.
I'm now 100% sure this is a calibration issue as all the sensors are still reporting perfectly acceptable readings.

And again at 1850.58 and at 1858.88 (half way)...

But yet where I accelerate just before 1880.39 the car pulls absolutely fine with no hesitation what so ever.

I've finally decided to stop getting stressed about it and to just live with it. Constantly chasing it up with Ford Customer Relations (who are a complete waste of time should I add) to be let down or fobbed off was making me more and more angry.

The paint was always dull, hazy, full of imperfections and there was dirt in the paint all over the car.
I was told by Bridgend Ford that there was nothing wrong with it, it would be unreasonable for me to expect the paintwork to be perfect and that I was just being picky.

The car covered in masking tape...

In the end Newport Ford flatted the paint back and polished it up and it came up an absolute treat. Couldn't believe the difference. It had a few buffer trails and swirls so I run over it today with a finishing polish with a DA and tidied up the tarnished chrome.

Tarnished Grill...

After...

Tarnished chrome around the fog lights...

After...

And my cat...

So I've given up caring about the hesitation issue now. It's obvious Ford aren't in any rush to fix it. I can hope it gets fixed within the next 2.5 years but I'm not convinced. My main issue now is getting a goodwill gesture out of them for the lost earnings, courtesy car costs and stress the car has caused me the past 6 months during the 14 times it's had to be returned. This means lots of slagging them off on their Facebook page and a few bad reviews here and there.
As soon as the car is out of warranty it will be having DPF & EGR removal with a Stage 1 remap. It should be around 150bhp with 380nm, enough to keep me amused for a few years. To be fair, it goes well now!

Ford have agreed a repair for my broken heated windscreen and some loose trim in the boot so I need to get the car booked in soon to sort that.
Handy that I'm getting a new windscreen, saves my excess getting it replaced since I already have 6 chips in it!

So now I'm pretty convinced I'm going to be keeping it I thought I'd start doing a few things.

I stuck my Missus personal plate on the car because, why not? It can't go on her lease car and it was a waste just having it on retention.

And I bought some silver lamps to tidy things up.

Unfortunately while I was changing the lamp in the O/S mirror unit I was a bit too rough on the mirror housing, the back popped off and landed on the floor. There is very little damage but I can see it from the drivers seat which is bloody annoying. I'll have to paint it soon. :supafrisk:

It had an oil change a month or two ago at 6500miles. It'll be having it's first service soon at 12,500miles. Currently showing just shy of 10k.

I bought a roof rack and two bike racks at a cost of... £272 for genuine Ford items. :shock: To be fair even the Halfords aero units were coming in at £257. I decided to pay the little bit extra.

And que a ride up the Afan forest on the weekend.

Last edited by Bailes1992; 19-03-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

380nm of torque will be interesting.

Shame you have had problems with it. So its te peugeot engine then. When its out of warranty and you play about with it the daft hesitation might disappear.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:31 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Shame after all this time you haven't got to the bottom of your running issues. It has to be software related, I'm sure an update will cure it if one is released.

I've got a £2.5k sound system in my Mondeo lol, all run through the factory head unit. I use a JL cleansweep signal processor which is a great bit of kit, have a look into audison units as they are raved about. I have fully sound deadened mine, makes a big difference.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been told the running issue is something to do with the programming of the EGR. I just need to work out now if I plan on keeping it when the warrenty is up or chop it in and replace it for something not Ford.
It's already have two updates.

It started making a lovely new noise this morning!
Old 03-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
Shame after all this time you haven't got to the bottom of your running issues. It has to be software related, I'm sure an update will cure it if one is released.

I've got a £2.5k sound system in my Mondeo lol, all run through the factory head unit. I use a JL cleansweep signal processor which is a great bit of kit, have a look into audison units as they are raved about. I have fully sound deadened mine, makes a big difference.
I love my tunes in my cars.