Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

1.8tdci Leak Off Test

Search this Thread

Old 17-06-2022, 08:05 PM
JackW
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8tdci Leak Off Test

Hi guys,

Having a pain trying to figure out what's up with my 55 plate focus 1.8tdci, wont get into it unless i have too.

But basically does anybody no the tolerances for how much the injectors should leak off ? And if so how did you test it (example; idle 30sec, 3k rpm 30sec e.c.t e.c.t)

Hoping that once I change my injectors and test them should shed some light on this problem ive had for 6+ months now

Thanks everyone👍
Old 18-06-2022, 07:18 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Whats your issue first of all, and fault codes if available?

https://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php..._Leak-Off_Test

When we used to be changing tdci injectors for warranty on Mondeo/Transit/Focus, we just tested them at idle , 1 min, 4 min and 8 min.

But tbh , a bad injector will fill the small bottles Fords supplied in 1 min if it was a particularly bad one. I cant remember the tolerances now its 15 yrs ago lol, we just used to tell them over the phone our results and they would either advise a new injector or not - which was a pain if you knew in your own mind the thing was knackered or not. - some info on this thread , https://passionford.com/forum/ford-m...test-help.html

https://passionford.com/forum/ford-m...-please-2.html

Last edited by GVK.; 18-06-2022 at 07:50 PM.
Old 21-06-2022, 04:21 PM
JackW
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mate ,

Only fault shown was p0190

When running it will run and idle perfect (apart from limp mode that's permanently on) and will start up again no problem , but now it won't start atall (after a few months of difficult starts e.c.t tapping throttle)

So looked into it , ended up changing FPS and checking whole loom back to ecu for faults , nothing. No relay or fuse problems.

So next port of call is to change the injectors as apparently excessive leak off can play with the readings an if ecu picks up on it it will disable fuel pump to start? Not sure if true but only thing I can find

Plus because if pump was knackered it wudnt run right when started would it ? Any advise is appreciated

Thankyou👍
Old 21-06-2022, 07:03 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Yes, If there is excess leak off then the ECU will shut down, the P0190 in your case is more of a fuel pressure problem. Could be pump but really you need diagnostic tool that show fuel pressure. For the car to start you need at least 250 bar, to test the pump you need to disconnect the injectors and the fuel pump wiring (inlet metering valve) then crank with the diagnostic tool showing fuel pressure , the delphi pumps should reach 1600 bar with good pump, filter, and injectors.

What I uaed to do was check the leak off when doing the fuel pressure test at the same time, if there was any fuel in the tubes on cranking , bingo theres your injector fault.

I know it sounds basic but whens the last time you had a fuel filter?