Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Leak off test help

Search this Thread

Old 19-04-2012, 07:30 PM
plumbobing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak off test help

Can anyone give me a some clear instructions on how to do a leak off test. I have bought some fuel pipe so i am expecting that you have to fit this to the plastic leak off connectors? Also what do you do with the leak off pipe that goes back to the pump, do i have to block this off.
Old 19-04-2012, 07:40 PM
gouch1
Advanced PassionFord User

this may help http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=25225
Old 19-04-2012, 07:46 PM
plumbobing

Brilliant, thanks very much!
Old 20-04-2012, 03:45 PM
plumbobing

One other question, how the hell do you get the pipes off the leak off brackets.
Old 27-04-2012, 06:45 PM
plumbobing

Here are the result of the test

I think its fair to say that all but injector number 3 is completely f*&ked, the test was with a warm engine running 2 mins at idle then 30 sec 2k revs then 30 sec idle for the next 3 minutes so 5 minutes in total.
I plan on replacing them myself as i have a super f and i have already recoded the injectors once so i know it works with my car.
I am presume the process would be as follows.
1. Remove the electrical plug.
2. Remove the union pipe.
3. Unscrew the injector and remove it.
Then fit the new ones in the reverse order, code them and replace the fuel filter.
What is the best way to plug the common rail feeds while the pipes are off and does anyone know the torque settings for the union pipes and injectors?
Old 27-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I think i would be looking more at the 2 on the left tbh, judging by how much they have leaked off compared to the others.

I'll have a look for the torque setings for you now mate, are you replacing the high pressure pipes?
Old 27-04-2012, 07:01 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 118 Likes on 111 Posts

You need a special socket to remove them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDE...#ht_1744wt_754

Might get away with a deep 21mm socket.

Injectors 47Nm, high pressure pipes 40Nm

Make sure the injectors are square in the head when you fit them.

Make sure you get the codes off the injectors before you fit the new ones.

Fit new injector seals that push into the valve cover.

You can get a proper bung kit (selection of various screw caps and blanking plugs for common rail systems) to seal the pipes etc from Ford, it's very expensive for what it is though.

Last edited by GVK.; 27-04-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 27-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The injectors are 47nm and the pipe unions are 40nm

Correct procedure for the leak test:

A2: CHECK THE FUEL INJECTOR BACK LEAK AFTER 1 MINUTE ENGINE RUN TIME1
Remove the special tool.
Empty the special tool of fuel.
Remove the blanking caps from the fuel injector fuel return lines.
Connect the fuel injector fuel return lines to the fuel injectors.
Connect the fuel metering valve electrical connector.
Connect the fuel injector electrical connectors.
Start the engine.
Using WDS datalogger, PCM function, select the signal for CHT. Allow the engine to reach 70°C.
Stop the engine.

Install the special tool to the fuel injectors.
Install the blanking plugs supplied with the special tool to the fuel injector fuel return lines.
Start the engine.
Allow the engine to idle for 1 minute.
Stop the engine.
Invert the containers of the special tool, raise the containers above the engine and allow the collected fuel to drain into the clear plastic hoses connecting the containers to the fuel injectors.
Observe the quantities of fuel collected within the lengths of clear plastic hoses.

Are the quantities of fuel contained within the clear plastic hoses approximately equal?
Yes
GO to A3.
No
If one or more fuel volumes is significantly higher within the special tool clear plastic hose, INSTALL a new fuel injector(s) as required.
TEST the system for normal operation.
If the fuel volumes for all four fuel injectors exceed the length of clear plastic hose, using WDS Program Module Routine, INPUT the fuel injector correction values. TEST the system for normal operation.
A3: CHECK THE FUEL INJECTOR BACK LEAK AFTER 4 MINUTES ENGINE RUN TIME1
Position the containers of the special tool below the height of the fuel injector fuel return line connection.
Start the engine.
Allow the engine to idle for 4 minutes.
Stop the engine.
Disconnect the special tool from the fuel injectors and allow the fuel in the clear plastic hoses to flow into the special tool containers.
Record the volumes of fuel collected in the special tool containers.

Multiply the lowest recorded value by 1.4 to calculate the maximum permissible value (maximum permissible value = minimum recorded value + 40%).
  • Example:
  • Quantity of lowest volume container = 10 ml
  • 1.4 X 10 ml = 14 ml
  • Maximum permissible value = 14 ml
Are the volumes of fuel in each of the special tool containers lower than the calculated maximum permissible value?
Yes
NO fault is indicated with the fuel injectors. To continue diagnostics, RETURN to the Symptom Chart.
No
If one or more fuel volumes in the special tool containers has a volume above the maximum permissible value, using WDS Program Module Routine, INPUT the fuel injector correction values. TEST the system for normal operation.
A4: CHECK THE FUEL INJECTOR BACK LEAK AFTER FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE TEST
Invert the containers of the special tool, raise the containers above the engine and allow the collected fuel to drain into the clear plastic hoses connecting the containers to the fuel injectors.
Measure and record the length of clear plastic hose containing fuel for each fuel injector.

Do one or more clear plastic hoses contain no fuel and one or more have a recorded value greater than 21 cm in length?
Yes
GO to A5.
No
GO to A6.
A5: FUEL INJECTOR BACK LEAK TEST FAILURE MODE 11
Install new fuel injectors for those injectors with recorded values of greater than 20 cm.
Empty the special tool of fuel.
CAUTION: Do not run the fuel system high-pressure test more than twice.
Using WDS repeat the fuel system pressure test.
Measure and record the length of clear plastic hose containing fuel for each fuel injector.

Do all of the clear plastic hoses contain fuel?
Yes
ASSEMBLE the vehicle. TEST the system for normal operation.
No
INSTALL new fuel injectors for those injectors where no fuel is present within the clear plastic hose.
A6: FUEL INJECTOR BACK LEAK TEST FAILURE MODE 21
Compare the recorded values for the clear plastic hoses containing fuel.

Do all of the clear plastic hoses contain fuel and one or more have a recorded value greater than 20 cm in length?
Yes
INSTALL new fuel injectors for recorded values greater than 20 cm.
No
GO to A7.
A7: FUEL INJECTOR BACK LEAK TEST FAILURE MODE 31
Compare the recorded values for the clear plastic hoses containing fuel.

Are all of the recorded values less than 20 cm and one or more clear plastic hoses contain no fuel?
Yes
INSTALL new fuel injectors for those injectors where no fuel is present within the clear plastic hose.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:17 PM
plumbobing

Yes i will be replacing the high pressure fuel pipes, i think they are about Ł16 per 2 pipe set from fords. Might aswell replace them if i am replacing the injectors.
In regards to injector number 4 (far right) is that amount ok? it looks like double the amount that 3 is but i couldn't find any info on how much they should/shouldn't leak back.
Why is it a particular socket has to be used, i know that with some injectors the feed is on the side of the injector but with these the feed is on the top so i don't see the point of the window
I will be buying them from swadlicote diesel as its about a 30 mins drive from me so would i be able to get the seals from them aswell and are there any other washers or seals that are needed.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:27 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You need to do the leak off test as above in Sapph1's post, as Ford only recommend doing it at idle.

Proper Ford leak off test bottles are only 50ml ish, but when injectors are leaking off large amounts the bottles can be full in a few seconds.

You may be able to remove them with normal deep socket - try it

Last edited by GVK.; 27-04-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's hard to say, according to the procedure, you need to measure the amount in the lowest one, multiply it by 1.4, this will give you the maximum acceptable amount for the other 3, then replace the ones which are over the limit.

As for the socket, the injector has got a collar that spins around the body that the socket fits, the window in the socket is there so you can hold the injector in the right position with a spanner while you tighten it, if that makes sense?
Old 27-04-2012, 07:38 PM
plumbobing

I think that's so the electrical connection can remain in the right direction is what your trying to say .
So if i do the test again i take it that i should get the engine up to temperature, connect the leak off pipes then idle the car for 2 minutes, rev 3 times to about 2.5k and switch off.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No, the test has to be done at idle, first for 1 minute, then record the values, if they are approximately equal, empty the bottles, then repeat the test, at idle, for 4 minutes, measure the lowest amount, multiply it by 1.4, which will give you the maximum permissable amount for the other 3, then measure the amounts in the other 3, any that are over the maximum need to be replaced.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:45 PM
plumbobing

Great. Just one more thing does the engine have to be up to operating temperature.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No worries mate, yeah, i'd just do it at normal operating temperature tbh
Old 28-04-2012, 08:30 AM
plumbobing

Well the results are as follows, 1 min at idle then 4 minutes at idle. The car was up to temperature as i went for about a 7-8 mile drive.

and then 4 minutes

Looks to me like 1, 2 & 4 have had it. 3 is a nice steady trickle when it leaks back with very few bubbles so i am happy to say that it is ok.
Old 28-04-2012, 02:52 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yep, 1 + 2 = 4 leaking back excess, if you just replaced 1 + 2 you'll find that 4 will leak back more. This is what we could never get through to Ford when they were in warranty.

We had to spend ages doing a load of tests ( leak off 1 min 4 min 8 min , compression test, fuel sample , live fuel pressure tests ), and phone them with all results for 'prior approval' to replace the injectors, they would only allow injectors in the cylinders that failed their tests - knowing full well that once the 'failed' injectors had been replaced, those that were close to failing would be out of spec.

Last edited by GVK.; 28-04-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 30-04-2012, 10:57 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking at those results you'd be best to do all four. If you replace a couple, the other two will almost certainly need doing soon after.