Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Puma engine into a mk4 Fiesta Q,s

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Adder
Regular Contributor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Puma engine into a mk4 Fiesta Q,s

Hello Folks,

yes i know im late to the party as normal ! Could someone point me in the right direction as to the wiring up side of things please ? I believe the engine looms will plug into to fuse box no worries but I've read some were there is a slight difference between analog and the digital dash ? And also a pin for the fog light ? Also will my ign key / chip be ok ? Any help or pointers is appreciated

many thanks

adder
Old 06-04-2019, 02:44 PM
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

hi, I'm currently in the middle of this conversion myself. Although into a mk5. Ive realised that although it is a straight forward conversion, there is so much more involved than i first thought.
firstly you won't be using your mk4 fuse box, you will be using the puma fuse box and the entire loom that comes with it. Have a look at what type of plug you have inside your mk4 fuse box to connect to the interior loom? I think there will just be one big one on yours? mine had a green plug and a white plug. Anyway you will need a puma loom that also has the same plug as your fiesta. I believe this will be from a very early puma.
key and chip? You will need the key that originally came from the same puma as the ecu you will be using. the chip in your fiesta key will not work!
fog lights? Pumas don't have front fog lights so you will need to chop the fog light part out of your fiesta loom and put it back in again with the puma loom, then fit a relay in the fuse box to make it work.
if you need any more help i will try and help out if i can.

Last edited by st220kyle; 06-04-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:09 PM
Adder
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the reply,

i did manage to find an old thread on here about it tbh , Mine too has the green and white plugs in the fuse box I thought this dictates that you have the digital loom /odometer and providing the puma had the same the engine loom would just plug in ? The Ecu and key transponder would just swap over from the puma to the fiesta ?

Also, do you know the ins and outs of fitting rear spacer blocks to the back axel ? What I'm trying to say is if I widen the rear track of the car what happens to the front ? And out of interest what exhaust manifold are you going to use ? I'm tempted with a chinesium jobbie but I'm sure it will be crap .

how did you get on with your cam belt ?

cheers

Cheers

Last edited by Adder; 07-04-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:24 PM
st220kyle

I think for a mk4 conversion you will need a analogue loom. It's definitely worth getting a full car if you can. It's surprising all the little extra bits you will need, throttle cable,air filter box and more.
I've joined up on some of the puma forums, that can be helpful.
if you pm me your email i will send you some very useful info i got from zsoc before it closed.

ah yes the cambelt, i paid a mobile mechanic to come and do it, guess i won't know for sure until I've got it running. He's turned it over by hand and checked it but said he'll come back and check it again once its running.

not sure about spacers, mine is totally standard apart from the engine and front brakes so couldn't really say.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Adder
Regular Contributor

Ahh, that's why I can't get on Zsoc ! It there that I read about the looms , I'm sure it said that whilst they are interchanable your better off sticking to what you already have . Mine has the digi odometer so I'll hold out for a car with the same.

sounds good with the cam belt , you know you said he turned the engine over , did he do too full turns of the crank ?

Cheers
Old 08-04-2019, 06:28 PM
st220kyle

yea its typical, about a week after i bought the puma donor car zsoc closed down. That place had all the answers. Luckily i saved a faq's page before hand though.

you've worried me, so I've been out and turned it over a few times myself, all seems good! But why did you ask about turning over two times?
Old 08-04-2019, 07:21 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Crankshaft turns twice as fast as camshafts so needs 2 full turns to check timing.

Trending Topics

Old 09-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Adder
Regular Contributor

As GVK said really although, you are supposed to do by hand !

If it sounded like a normal engine turning over ie, four compression strokes you'll be fine

Last edited by Adder; 09-04-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:23 PM
st220kyle

Oh yeah I turned it over by hand, I just span the the crank pulley round a few times. Seemed the same as it did before the cambelt replacement. Which is ideal as it ran nice before. Hopefully ill have it running by the end of the month 🤞🏻
Old 17-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Mark Smyth
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you still have the info from ZSOC? I’ve done the conversion previously but stupidly didn’t save the wiring diagrams and now I’m looking to buy a Puma converted Mk5 that hasn’t got the lights wired up yet. If you’ve still got the info you’d be an absolute life saver!
Old 17-04-2020, 05:53 PM
st220kyle

I've definitely got some info saved somewhere, pm me your email and I'll send you what I have later tonight or tomorrow
Old 05-06-2021, 07:31 AM
Laoisfiesta
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk4 fiesta conversion

Hi guys,
Im new to this site so not sure if this has been asked before. I have inherited a mk4 fiesta with only 40k miles and I really enjoy driving it. But I’m looking to make it faster/ put new engine in it. From what Iv read the puma 1.7 is the best option? It has a 1.25 engine in it. It also has air conditioning and an immobiliser, would it be way more hassle than it’s worth doing? Thanks
Old 09-06-2021, 05:34 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

anything is possible with know how, puma engines can be fitted into the fiesta quite easy you simply need all the running gear inc ecu etc , used to happen a lot back in the day but pumas are thin on the ground these days so less common