Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

ECU options - advice needed

Old 08-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Ade_Ford
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU options - advice needed

I've been looking around the internet for mappable engine management systems and would love some advice/recommendations.

For Zetec I've came across megasquirt, microsquirt and tweecer (although not sure if UK models are supported). It's required for ignition and injection and needs flexible/transferable maps, what are your recommendations based on cost / ease of mapping / most common etc?

Any pointers would be great!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:38 AM
jsa
Regular Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

QH is better than tweecer. Both require a definition for tuning support.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:45 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Hi, I personally would not use megasquirt and the like but do you intend to map it yourself? I see so many people selling cars or posting on forums "needs more mapping" as people never get it right.

You will see time and again on here...pick a mapper and use the ECU they recommend.

I think Dave Walker at Emerald is not that far from you.

I would whole heartedly recommend Mark Shead but he doesn't use the cheap stuff.

You may also do well picking up a used Vipec or something like that on here.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:17 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Find a tuner you intend to use, and then speak to them about what you need and what might suit best.

Do not just buy the cheapest crap out there and then hope you can get someone to try and make it work for you.

But there will be literally dozens of options, the only limitation is your budget really.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:32 AM
Ade_Ford
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys very helpful, think il find a tuner and have a chat through options with them.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Clint at BHP seems to do quite a few Ford on Link ecu's and they have some reasonably priced offerings.

Or there is the obvious choices of DTA, Emerald too which would have good support.

Bailey Performance seem to be a Megasquirt place if you want to go down that road.

But ask around about the abilities of any "tuner", get reviews from customers etc as the word "tuner" seems to cover a vast range...many complete morons to a select few who are actually any good.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Clint at BHP seems to do quite a few Ford on Link ecu's and they have some reasonably priced offerings.

Or there is the obvious choices of DTA, Emerald too which would have good support.

Bailey Performance seem to be a Megasquirt place if you want to go down that road.

But ask around about the abilities of any "tuner", get reviews from customers etc as the word "tuner" seems to cover a vast range...many complete morons to a select few who are actually any good.
you are so on the money with the last bit.

Mark
Old 10-02-2018, 12:06 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

And on the above...I'm not making ( and very rarely ever do ) any recommendations...just those were a couple of places I am aware of who sell/install those particular products !

Although would have no issue with recommending any of the 3 ecu's mentioned for a budget build ( ie Link, DTA or Emerald in no particular order )

There are of course even cheaper out there and there are more expensive. But the most important bit is the support of someone who can actually make it work for you.