Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Fiesta MK3 - idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 PM
billkent22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta MK3 - idle issue

Hello,

Im hoping i can get some help or at least a point in the right direction.

I have a 1995 Fiesta MK3 1.3 HCS CFI. I do look after it mechanicaly so its been serviced as it should, ive cleaned out the air/breather systems (they can get pretty clogged up)
The issue i have has been gradualy getting more noticable, when i am in traffic for example the car seems to vibrate (especially the dash), this gets worse the more electrical load i put on e.g blowers, lights, heated screen etc. When i then apply the footbrake the vibrations gets much worse.
Ive checked all the pipes for air leaks or collapse but not sure what to do next?
Old 02-02-2018, 01:01 AM
Rich87
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you check for air leaks? I only ask because they can be really hard to find I use brake cleaner and spray it over the engine bay or anywhere there could be a leak and it the engine tune changes means theres a leak and you can locate them so much easier, also does it have an idle control valve? As they can get clogged up and need cleaning out there's a how to guide on the guide section I've done it myself good guide, I've got a rs turbo so not to familiar with 1.3 set up
Old 10-02-2018, 11:34 AM
landaqmabba
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check battery condition and alternator condition? as you said that with more electrical load the worse it gets.

Also break vacuum could be an issue you can try this;
start the car then turn it off, press the brake pedal a few times till it gets hard then press it and keep it down. with pedal pressed turn on the car - brake pedal should move further down due to servo assistance. If it does it means servo works, let car idle for a few seconds, then turn off. Leave it off for like 2-3 minutes then pump the brake pedal again. If pedal starts soft then gets harder it means that servo and no return valve are holding the vacuum so good. if It doesn't means you have a leak from servo or no return valve, if both are good means leak is from pipe or other side,

Is that the 1.3 fuel injection or carb? i believe carb take vacuum from inlet manifold? injection same?
I had several mk3 fiesta's but mine where diesel however servo is a fault on them and on mine they all failed - issue is master cylinder leaks fluid into servo no one cleans it and it eats everything up.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:31 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by landaqmabba
did you check battery condition and alternator condition? as you said that with more electrical load the worse it gets.

Also break vacuum could be an issue you can try this;
start the car then turn it off, press the brake pedal a few times till it gets hard then press it and keep it down. with pedal pressed turn on the car - brake pedal should move further down due to servo assistance. If it does it means servo works, let car idle for a few seconds, then turn off. Leave it off for like 2-3 minutes then pump the brake pedal again. If pedal starts soft then gets harder it means that servo and no return valve are holding the vacuum so good. if It doesn't means you have a leak from servo or no return valve, if both are good means leak is from pipe or other side,

Is that the 1.3 fuel injection or carb? i believe carb take vacuum from inlet manifold? injection same?
I had several mk3 fiesta's but mine where diesel however servo is a fault on them and on mine they all failed - issue is master cylinder leaks fluid into servo no one cleans it and it eats everything up.
CFI (Central Fuel Injection) was the next stage from a carb and a stepping stone to EFI.

The most likely problem is the ICV (stepper motor) which controls the idle by moving the throttle plate.

I would clean the CFI unit with carb cleaner as it's probably clogged up.

Martin