Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

ST220 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 28-08-2011, 12:36 PM
elguapo
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST220 starting problems

Hi all

first post is a technical request for help, sorry about that!

My other half's car is an ST220 estate which has until now been faultless. On Thursday night she parked up outside the house with no problems but the next day the car simply refused to start.

When turning the igntion the car has enough power in the battery but it just turns on the starter, no spark or rather no firing up. There is no sound from the fuel pump. As I pay through the nose for the AA I called them out and they were here in a flash but I started to worry a little when some basic checks were not done.

The engineer went straight to the fuel pump saying that was at fault, 10 minutes later he had left and I was left looking at a nice bill to get the pump replaced without him checking further issues.

After he left I started some basic checks. Checked the battery had enough power - it did and subsequently to ensure it was ruled out I connected it to my other car to ensure it had good amount of power.

Checked the fueses and ound the 7.5a engine management fuse had blown, replaced but the problem still persists.

The pump still does not prime or spin up, even after a few taps from a hammer. Checked the power to the pump, the earth is good but there are 3 wires and fantastically the Haynes manual has virtually no wiring diagrams and certainly none for the fuel pump.

Could anyone tell me what the 3 wires (other than the black earth) are? There are two multi coloured with stripes, both with igntion on and turning over show 12 to 14 on the multi-meter so good power, but the 3rd which is a solid blue never registered anything other than 0.02. Before I get a new or used pump I figure best to check everything first, what is that blue wire for (and the others out of intrest)?

If I had a spare pump I'd just plug in to eliminate the pump.

Also is there an easy way to get the dash to display diag codes without access to a reader? The AA never plugged in their diags so I have no idea if there are codes to be read.

Thanks
Old 29-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Does the red light on the clock distinguish completley or does it flash very fast when you turn the ignition on?
Old 29-08-2011, 09:08 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if it's the fuel pump, you are looking at a MASSIVE bill for the labour

when i changed mine it took 2 of us 6 hours laying under the car, much easier to simply enlarge the hole under the rear seat to remove it in like 30 seconds

otherwise it's exhaust off, brakes lines out the way, suspension out the way, filler pipe out the way then the tank comes out, and putting stuff back again is even more difficult

not to mention i got my pump for about Ł130 from ford when the list price was about Ł242

absolutly horrible job so make sure that it's not something simply like the key, but if it turns over and there is no sound form the pump, looks like it's goosed

lift up the rear seat base (it's hooked in) and with someone in the drivers seat, listen to the pump as the ignition is turned on, it should buzz to prime itself for about a second, if it doesn't....................
Old 29-08-2011, 09:31 AM
elguapo
Virgin

thanks! It is looking like the pump however I've tested the electrics and thanks to haynes being unusuful as ever there is no wiring schematics for the fuel pump. On the pump there are 4 wires, 1 ground, 2 striped lives which both get 11 to 14v but a solid blue which gets no power or 0.02 it is this wire I need to eliminate first before I go down the route of buying the new pump. Has anyone any idea what the solid blue wire is for?

Thanks
Old 29-08-2011, 10:56 AM
dojj

i can't remember where i posted the pics of my pump swap, but if you can find them i'm sure i've listed what was what

i'll have another look but i've got 4 photobucket accounts
Old 29-08-2011, 10:57 AM
dojj

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...mp-change.html
Old 29-08-2011, 11:29 AM
elguapo
Virgin

brilliant thanks I'll have a look. I'm not scared of snipping the metal as to be honest ford designed it this way to generate cashola for themselves and whoever looks under the seat? Not the last 2 owners based on the cash and the food we found!!
Old 29-08-2011, 11:37 AM
ST24MK2
BANNED
BANNED

Be careful if you cut the metal i did this and ended up slipping and resulted in four hours down AnE with little and ring finger sliced right across to the bone.. was about 6 year ago now, on a fiesta but still same principal, put some gaffa tape around where youve cut if you do decide to do it that way.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:28 AM
elguapo
Virgin

Well thanks to dremel the hole in the car is now big enough to remove the pump. The replacement one arrived and confirmed it was a dead pump (only cost Ł6 from ebay) so now to buy a brand new pump to ensure the thing lasts.

Quick question though is how to disconnect the fuel lines from the pump. They have three spring loaded plastic quick release type clips which are hard to get to where the pump is located, is there a simple tool to push all three clips in at the same time as screwdrivers are not effective we are finding
Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 AM
dojj

use your fingers to push the clips out

they should be those horseshoe shaped thing that go around the flare in the pipe yes?

either pull them out using a small screwdriver or push them through from the other side with your fingers

one thing though, my new pump and my old pump fittings were incompatible so i had to use the old fittings on the new pump, so don't destroy them

also, fit a new fuel filter just to be on the safe side, it's under the drivers side rear wheel arch at the front with 1 8mm bolt and 2 push fittings the same (i think, it's been a while and i didn't take many pics)

hth
Old 22-10-2011, 10:37 PM
elguapo
Virgin

ah in the end they were not coming off so bit the bullet and went to ford who actually came out cheaper than the indi for doing the job. Took them a whole lot longer as the system records an upraded pump that is not compatible with the original style fuel hoses so new hoses fitted for free which was nice.

Thanks for the help, now on the search for a replacement rear mesh grill that someone has now half inched!
Old 22-10-2011, 10:44 PM
dojj

nice one