View Single Post
Old 28-08-2011, 12:36 PM
elguapo
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST220 starting problems

Hi all

first post is a technical request for help, sorry about that!

My other half's car is an ST220 estate which has until now been faultless. On Thursday night she parked up outside the house with no problems but the next day the car simply refused to start.

When turning the igntion the car has enough power in the battery but it just turns on the starter, no spark or rather no firing up. There is no sound from the fuel pump. As I pay through the nose for the AA I called them out and they were here in a flash but I started to worry a little when some basic checks were not done.

The engineer went straight to the fuel pump saying that was at fault, 10 minutes later he had left and I was left looking at a nice bill to get the pump replaced without him checking further issues.

After he left I started some basic checks. Checked the battery had enough power - it did and subsequently to ensure it was ruled out I connected it to my other car to ensure it had good amount of power.

Checked the fueses and ound the 7.5a engine management fuse had blown, replaced but the problem still persists.

The pump still does not prime or spin up, even after a few taps from a hammer. Checked the power to the pump, the earth is good but there are 3 wires and fantastically the Haynes manual has virtually no wiring diagrams and certainly none for the fuel pump.

Could anyone tell me what the 3 wires (other than the black earth) are? There are two multi coloured with stripes, both with igntion on and turning over show 12 to 14 on the multi-meter so good power, but the 3rd which is a solid blue never registered anything other than 0.02. Before I get a new or used pump I figure best to check everything first, what is that blue wire for (and the others out of intrest)?

If I had a spare pump I'd just plug in to eliminate the pump.

Also is there an easy way to get the dash to display diag codes without access to a reader? The AA never plugged in their diags so I have no idea if there are codes to be read.

Thanks