Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Focus 03 ST170 engine management light on

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:44 PM
2wdRyan
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus 03 ST170 engine management light on

Hi - is there a common reason for the e/m light to just come on, was doing approx 4000rpm in third, and it came on

There is no misfire, temps and pressures are all ok, and everything sounds fine ............... fords want near on £100 to plug in and check , but was wondering if you can do like a scooby and check fault codes yourself for sensor etc???

If not ..... any pointers for anything to check that might clear this etc

Much appreciated Ry
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes there are common reasons for the light coming on...

....fucking LOADS

no seriously, it could be a number of things. st170's have quite a list of common faults so the only thing to start with is read the fault codes. do you know anyone with a fault code reader or bluefin (as this can be used as a code reader)?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 PM
2wdRyan

Originally Posted by phil_focus
yes there are common reasons for the light coming on...

....fucking LOADS

no seriously, it could be a number of things. st170's have quite a list of common faults so the only thing to start with is read the fault codes. do you know anyone with a fault code reader or bluefin (as this can be used as a code reader)?
Cheers buddy .......... na I dont know anyone with one, so basically Im gonna have to fork out the 1er aint I - see the one good feature my mates scooby had was that you could fit a jump wire into one of the plugs and get faults on the dash

Bloody thing, if this is gonna be a regular thing I will have to buy one myself, just weird how it came on, everything seems fine and wont go out

Cheers Again mate
Old 08-11-2010, 08:12 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Yep they do have a self diag built into the dash as any modern Ford does, to access you need to hold the trip button in and turn ignition key on simultaneously keeping the button pressed until a 'gauge sweep' will then be performed, at which point the millage display will disappear, keep pressing the trip button to cycle through the different modes (To which there is alot) IIRC it's the fifth or seventh option which is for DTC'S in any case this is what you should see on the display.

See if there are any codes thrown up here, it should be noted this is no substitute for a decent scanner nor will it show up faults like one would.

Should have a letter followed by four digits, to revert just turn ignition off and on again.

NB This will reset the millage trip, NOT millage.

Martin
Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
2wdRyan

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Yep they do have a self diag built into the dash as any modern Ford does, to access you need to hold the trip button in and turn ignition key on simultaneously keeping the button pressed until a 'gauge sweep' will then be performed, at which point the millage display will disappear, keep pressing the trip button to cycle through the different modes (To which there is alot) IIRC it's the fifth or seventh option which is for DTC'S in any case this is what you should see on the display.

See if there are any codes thrown up here, it should be noted this is no substitute for a decent scanner nor will it show up faults like one would.

Should have a letter followed by four digits, to revert just turn ignition off and on again.

Martin
Cheers Martin ............. anythings worth a go if it can save a few pennies at the mo

Will have a nose tomorrow after work

Thanks again Ry
Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 PM
hump
Virgin

I had the same on my ST170 so bought myself a scanner off ebay for £15 and it worked and came up with a code. Then I put the code in Google and it came up with loads of problems. My garage found a small leak in a pipe, they taped it up the cars runs great, cheaper than £100 for the dealer to get the code.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

i wouldnt bother taking it to ford, a normal garage should be able to read fault codes easy. alternatively you could get a reader yourself for a lot less than £100.

you'll be after an EOBD/OBD2 compatible fault code reader. amazon might do them as they have lots of sources but a shop on ebay with good feedback and uk based might be easier. maybe see if said shops have their own websites.

hope that helps and you can read the codes soon. once you have done, stick them up on here and we'll help you decipher them
Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 PM
RS Juto
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Its proberbly a lamber sensor mate, st170 eat them. If the car is running fine and if you want to clear it disconnect the battery for 5 mins and it will reset but i would get it checked 1st.
If it is lamber sensor dont buy from ford go on ebay.com in the USA and you can get both sensor for a fraction of the price.
Hope this helps let me know how you get on or if you need any more help pm me.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Martin
i thought that only showed dash fault codes and not engine codes.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:23 PM
RS Juto

http://www.fordst170.co.uk/dtc-codes.php

This might help also
Old 08-11-2010, 08:24 PM
2wdRyan

Originally Posted by cossie1000
cheers Dude
Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM
2wdRyan

i wouldnt bother taking it to ford, a normal garage should be able to read fault codes easy. alternatively you could get a reader yourself for a lot less than £100.

you'll be after an EOBD/OBD2 compatible fault code reader. amazon might do them as they have lots of sources but a shop on ebay with good feedback and uk based might be easier. maybe see if said shops have their own websites.

hope that helps and you can read the codes soon. once you have done, stick them up on here and we'll help you decipher them
found this one on amazon £24
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diagnostic-S...9251273&sr=1-6
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM
RS Juto

Got to be worth a go for that price
Old 08-11-2010, 08:31 PM
2wdRyan

Got to be worth a go for that price
Well I think i'll buy it and see what happens, if it works then ive got it for next time lol
I have a digital air/fuel ratio gauge wired into the lambda circuit and that is still reading 14:7 or 14:8 like pretty much always, at least im not in a panic to drive the car, so I think wait for this huckle berry to turn up and keep my fingers crossed its nothing to drastic ha ha
Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i thought that only showed dash fault codes and not engine codes.
You may well be right as I have heard people say that before, however I have never got a definitive answer?

Martin
Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

You may well be right as I have heard people say that before, however I have never got a definitive answer?

Martin

neither have i so i'm staying open to being corrected.

Ryan, seems to do the same as any other cheap scanner so worth a try at that price.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

[QUOTE=phil_focus;5175629]neither have i so i'm staying open to being corrected.

Same here

Martin
Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
2wdRyan

neither have i so i'm staying open to being corrected.

Ryan, seems to do the same as any other cheap scanner so worth a try at that price.
Well, I may as well give it a bash, should show the codes if nothing else, as previously said, got to be worth ago rather than pulling out 100 bob for the same result, then knowing my luck something else playing up two weeks later and back in the same boat again lol

Cheers for helping out buddy
Old 08-11-2010, 08:48 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Have you just tried a reset of the ECU, I.E power down?

Martin
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM
2wdRyan

Martin
I disconnected the earth cable on the battery for a couple of mins yesterday, but that is all, and didnt change anything, the light is still on :-(
Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats right, it can't be that bad or the car would not be running well and you would be in LOS.

Martin
Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 PM
2wdRyan

Thats right, it can't be that bad or the car would not be running well and you would be in LOS.

Martin
Well i hope it aint something horrible, but like i said, everything seems to be as it has always been since i got it two/three months ago, if that light wasnt on the car (like my old cossy never had) i would not be panicing lol, it came on when i was driving home, and was fine for the 8 or 9 miles to get home when it lit up, and has started fine, reved smooth etc, but obviously i dont want to ignore it

Cheers for your input tonight mate, i'll give the code reader a go and see what happens from there
Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by 2wdRyan
Well, I may as well give it a bash, should show the codes if nothing else, as previously said, got to be worth ago rather than pulling out 100 bob for the same result, then knowing my luck something else playing up two weeks later and back in the same boat again lol

Cheers for helping out buddy

owning an st170 you are guaranteed another problem in a couple of months

not a prob, we like to help.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:01 PM
2wdRyan

Its proberbly a lamber sensor mate, st170 eat them. If the car is running fine and if you want to clear it disconnect the battery for 5 mins and it will reset but i would get it checked 1st.
If it is lamber sensor dont buy from ford go on ebay.com in the USA and you can get both sensor for a fraction of the price.
Hope this helps let me know how you get on or if you need any more help pm me.

Martin
owning an st170 you are guaranteed another problem in a couple of months

not a prob, we like to help.
And tonights lottery numbers are...............

P0141 Heated O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P0172 System Too Rich (Bank 1)
P1518 Intake Manifold Runner Control (Stuck Open)
And a missfire recorded ........... but never noticed one??????

So i'm guessing my IMRC has had it, causing things to have wrong fuel mix hence to rich and hot and causing missfire???????

If so, they aint cheap boo hoo
Old 12-11-2010, 03:21 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

with the heater circuit malfunction it sounds like you have a dead or dieing lamda sensor.

intake manifold very common. not sure whats broken, can be the mechanism or it can be a resistor or something inside the control unit which is a very cheap fix if you fancy taking it apart and getting the soldering iron out.

cats2go sell lambda sensors at reasonable prices if that helps.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:29 PM
2wdRyan

with the heater circuit malfunction it sounds like you have a dead or dieing lamda sensor.

intake manifold very common. not sure whats broken, can be the mechanism or it can be a resistor or something inside the control unit which is a very cheap fix if you fancy taking it apart and getting the soldering iron out.

cats2go sell lambda sensors at reasonable prices if that helps.
Cheers dude ............ Well Ive only wipped the car round the block once, and the light has stayed off, but it came on for a reason.

so probly worth changing the lambda then, as the other chap said these eat them

and like you said, not going to hurt to see if there is just a knackered small component that maplins can help with in the imrc

Thanks for you help again .............. (speak to you soon lol ha ha)
Old 12-11-2010, 04:17 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

haha, ay be sooner than you think when the next problem occurs

there are 2 lambda sensors on the st170, pre cat and post cat. not sure what it means by bank 1 but i assume sensor 2 is post cat which just checks the operation of the cat.

hopefully someone can clarify which one its on about.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:10 PM
2wdRyan

haha, ay be sooner than you think when the next problem occurs

there are 2 lambda sensors on the st170, pre cat and post cat. not sure what it means by bank 1 but i assume sensor 2 is post cat which just checks the operation of the cat.

hopefully someone can clarify which one its on about.
Looked on the net - bank refers to which side of engine left or right ie. V6 or v8, so only one bank on straight 4 cyliners, and like you said 1 should be front 2 should be rear
Old 12-11-2010, 08:01 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

oh yeah DOH, blonde moment for me

if its just the heater part thats screwed but the rest of it works then i wouldnt worry about changing it yet as its only there to check the cat is working.

sort the inlet out first, clear the fault codes and then see what happens.
Old 28-05-2011, 08:20 PM
rsvr1000
Virgin

Hi Guys
New to this forum had my ST170 couple of months really pleased with it until this dreaded light eng /man light came on!!! had a problem were i thought i had a miss fire but only lasted a few seconds, looked on here for info as car was running fine, had to drive to Bangor Thursday to pick up my lad from Uni. on the way back home had a play down the A5 which was good and then noticed the light went out, i thinking it could be one the lambda sensor but to be on the safe side car is going back to garage Tuesday as still under warrantry, Tony
Old 12-07-2017, 01:33 PM
James David
Virgin

Default Fault codes on board

I've used the cluster to read diagnostic codes and it picked up a speedometer sensor error so guess it can show engine codes!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:06 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by James David
I've used the cluster to read diagnostic codes and it picked up a speedometer sensor error so guess it can show engine codes!
That's because the cluster isn't receiving a speed signal, so it's logged a code. It won't show any engine related dtc's.
The following users liked this post:
STeve (13-07-2017)