Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

1.8 zetec engine rev's

Search this Thread

Old 23-06-2009, 11:32 AM
<____ALEX____>
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8 zetec engine rev's

hi all.
i have just bought a car and it has the 1.8 zetec silvertop fitted,it is all pretty much standard except a back box. problem is whenever i rev the car it seems to bog and splutter and really struggles to rev,if i put the accelerator peddal all the way down it almost sounds like its gunna stall,sound like the ignition has been turned of then it will kick in and rev but its really popy n backfires abit through the range. if i push the peddal down slowley it seems to rev fine. any help would be great as im not farmiliar with these engines iv just been on cvh. cheers
Old 23-06-2009, 07:16 PM
<____ALEX____>

could it be a faulty sensor possibly?air mass sensor or summin?
Old 26-06-2009, 12:33 AM
keyz
Arse

if it idles ok.. try these

disconcect the MAF sensor n then rev it. if it revs when MAF is disconected then u know u need a newun..

or

disconect the exhuast manofold and then rev it, as u might have a collapsed cat. doing this thoe its very loud. rev gentley as u dont want to be shoving flames onto ur rad and wiring
Old 27-06-2009, 11:02 PM
<____ALEX____>

cheers mate,i recon it was the MAF sensor as i disconnected it and it seemed to rev better so got a new one and revs fine now. i have also noticed that when the ignition is turned on the temp guage gose straight to red even when the engine is stod overnight and is definatly cold??? i have replaced the two sensors on the thermostat housing ang the one near it going into th hose and still no difference?is there anything else that i could check and also my spedo is not working any ideas where the sender is located or again what to cheack for? cheers
Old 28-06-2009, 12:38 AM
keyz
Arse

temp guage not to sure about ? maybe a dodgy conection on the back of the dials,

as for speedo cable check on the gear box, as thats where the speed readin comes from

with a maf sensor thats gone, youll find it hard to rev above 4k some people call it limp home mode etc, but now with ur maff sorted you should be able to rev right round to the 7k mark with no problem

probs best to leave ya battery disconted over night also as this in effect resets the ecu from error codes

p.s i hope you got a 1.8 / 2 litre MAF sensor, as these have less restrictive air flow

Last edited by keyz; 28-06-2009 at 12:42 AM. Reason: addition of txt
Old 28-06-2009, 03:32 PM
<____ALEX____>

cheers keyz yer i used the 1.8 MAF sensor and speedo is sorted now,took the dials out to check connection and the speedo cable wasnt pluged in lol.still cant fix the temp guage though?? gunna need to check for dodgy connections.cheers
Old 28-06-2009, 03:39 PM
keyz
Arse

Originally Posted by <____ALEX____>
cheers keyz yer i used the 1.8 MAF sensor and speedo is sorted now,took the dials out to check connection and the speedo cable wasnt pluged in lol.still cant fix the temp guage though?? gunna need to check for dodgy connections.cheers

No probs mate

as for the temp guage, visual check the wires first, if all else fails get a Voltage meter on there
Old 28-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Stoogey

Sorry to ask things on your thread but i got a silver top with the plastic inlet (not aluminium one with efi on it) does anyone know where the idle control valve is? I cant find it!!!

Cheers
Old 28-06-2009, 05:57 PM
keyz
Arse

Originally Posted by Stoogey
Sorry to ask things on your thread but i got a silver top with the plastic inlet (not aluminium one with efi on it) does anyone know where the idle control valve is? I cant find it!!!

Cheers
if u look at the back of the engine between the plastic manifold you will see it

pain in the arse to get to mind, and is secured in by 2 x 8 MM bolts
Old 28-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Stoogey

you're a legend cheers mate!