Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

My JZX81 Toyota Chaser

Search this Thread

Old 16-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
Looks like a hearse on steroids!!!!
Old 16-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, bumpers are now as good as done, so ill spray em this weekend hopefully

One of the things i've always wanted on a car, for years, is a transbrake. Every time I see a car launching off one I laugh like a little kid, its childish to want one unless you using it for drag racing, but they totally badass, and I want one

If the money was equal, which it is (ie price to do the other option is the same as the money id get for current bits, plus what i need to spend to complete current setup), what would you do...

RB26-
rev monster (8k no prob).
not that nice to drive, lacks low down grunt (ie under 5k), lots of gearchanges. potentially laggy.
already mostly complete so can be going within weeks.
debatable reliability.
600bhp at 1.5bar, potentially 700bhp+ once rebuilt to a better spec (more £££).
Probably 500lbft at 600bhp, and 600lbft at 700+bhp
200mph+ top speed thanks to revs and gearbox.
can clutch kick and handbrake nicely.
electrics that confuse me.
more expensive to fix.
poor weight distribution..
sound mental, at least as mental as the V8 IMO, if not more so
look mental, but not as mental as a v8.
weak gearbox.

V8 engine-
will cost about the same (after selling RB26 bits) as keeping the RB26.
will be starting from scratch so will take a good few months to complete.
800bhp/800lbft with ease and low boost.
mental power at all revs.
only 140ish top speed due to gears and diff ratio.
bulletproof transmission.
manually shifted race autobox.
no clutch kicking or decent handbrake tho due to autobox.
awesome transbrake for insane full boost from standstill fun and games.
almost no electrics to go wrong.
similar weight, but better weight distribution, so should be better handling.
nothing like it in the world, exhaust and turbo will be like nothing else, trust me.

Few transbrake videos...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB2qsj4Tzm0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mdTcRuJpuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnppPlVw-sI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoV4gKt6z24

I dunno what to do, I dont like not having the car to use, but price is no different really, and in the long term the V8 is probably far more sensible and fun.
And Gatebil has totally changed my mind on what I want from a car, well, it hasnt, but its reinforced my views of just needing something MENTAL, rather than actually a cars thats good at anything

And every time I watch a video of a turbo car on the transbrake I smile and it makes my mind up for me

Oh I dunno, ill keep going with what I got for the mo while I decide...
Old 16-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

TranBrake? wtf....thats mad lol
Old 16-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

See, now you want one too, lol
Old 16-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Mr.worth
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

TransBrake?,never heard of it,seen those the vids before though and I think DOOOOO IT,how does it work?fuck noise limits if you can do that all day long down the street lol.
Old 16-07-2008, 08:03 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

for info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transbrake

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/tran...ics-92281.html
Old 16-07-2008, 08:16 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

So if you go for the V8 and transbrake option you have to have an autobox? Surely that goes against what you believe in/what you want from a car and topping out at 140mph might not be such a problem if you never see speeds above and let's face it on public roads you aren't really going to but if you do it might be a bit of a downer topping out at 140mph. Also have you fitted the big scania turbo yet? The car might respond better on the RB below 5k with the big turbo and also if you get it setup again.

Don't really know what to say, both sound as fun as hell but I cannot imagine your car with a V8 grumble. Will sound a bit odd lol. The raspy 6 cyl RB26 imo is one of the best sounding engines ever. Also how's getting parts for the V8...easy enough? And I didn't think RB26 engines had reliability issues even though you said more expensive to fix.
Old 16-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Mr Worth-
I know, fuck it all, id never get tired of acting like a dick like that Im always doing it with the line lock, but thats even better
Even without the smokeyness, the sound of the turbo spooling up while you just sit there is the tits

Pani K-
Yep, transbrakes are part of autoboxes, and the only reason its an option is because a suitable box is cheap. A suitable manual and all the bits needed for a V8 would be about 1500quid more, making it pointless.

140mph is a minor problem, with my old Cossie id barely see a journey where I didnt see over 150mph on the clock, so sure as hell would with the Chaser too, but I could live with it I think.

Not fitted the big turbo yet, still gathering bits, will be another 600quids worth of bits before its going, an the 5k+ powerband was estimating how the single will be.
At mo there power from 3k up, but isnt exactly fast till over 5k. Once big single is on I reckon it will have way more torque in the midrange, but less power low down, and fast from 5k up as it currently is, but MUCH faster.

I agree RB26s sound amazing.

V8 bits are massivley easier to get and massivley cheaper than RB bits. I can get a fully forged stroker kit for the V8 for the same price as a set of RB26 pistons.

And RB26s arnt mega relaible, well not compared to the V8.

PS, if go for V8 there will be no passnger seat. And the exhaust and screamer will exit out the rear passenger side door. And the turbo will be this one, with a 6inch inlet, and its the size of the earth, really really big, and sit where the passenger seat was.

Will be this turbo I have if I do do it, makes the Scania one look like a baby, twice as tall as a pint glass, and the turbo next to it these pics is the same size as an RS500 T4...
Name:  IMG_0968.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  59.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0964.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  55.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0961.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  56.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0960.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  54.6 KB

I "think" its a GT55 or GT60, ie massivley too big for the power I want, but it has a tiny .86 exhaust housing, and considering the V8 is 6.8litre, it will spool it easy and give the power at low boost too.

And its from something even funnier than a Scania too
Old 16-07-2008, 08:48 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

A train?

or

A ship? LOL
Old 16-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Its a Garrett GT turbo, but badged as a CAT

Going by the numbers etc on it I think its one of the many turbos attached to one of those massive long haul dump trucks they use on those massive south american quarries etc.

Ie something along the lines of this-
Old 16-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Crowder

sounds like ud give up on the v8 if u started it. get the rb to a decent level and drive the hell out of it!!
Old 16-07-2008, 08:53 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Originally Posted by Stavros
Its a Garrett GT turbo, but badged as a CAT

Going by the numbers etc on it I think its one of the many turbos attached to one of those massive long haul dump trucks they use on those massive south american quarries etc.

Ie something along the lines of this-
Awesome.
Old 16-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

fuck me steve, do you have a collection of stupidly big turbo's? lol
Old 16-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

no fucking shit! that turbo is slightly on the large size!

this is the smaller one, that is now mine lol, and that aint fucking shy

Name:  000_0049.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  93.5 KB
Old 16-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Crowder
sounds like ud give up on the v8 if u started it. get the rb to a decent level and drive the hell out of it!!
Only reason id give up is money issues (ie like only car ive given up on, the GTR), but I have every penny needed for it already.

I have been driving the hell out the RB, hence why my bumpers are smashed and the gearbox is whining its tits off.

Thing is, how I drive I will kill it soon, and there no way im driving any more sensibly, driving like any less than a complete dickhead is not for me. And once it blows, RB26s are worth literally nothing.

Only issue is I can have the amazing but nowhere near as good RB done in a few weeks, V8 would take a few months. And I like driving cars, not building em.

Originally Posted by Sidewayz
fuck me steve, do you have a collection of stupidly big turbo's? lol
Yes.

Last edited by Stavros; 16-07-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 16-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

ps, as for making the wrong engine fit into something it shouldnt, id not bother!

doing the zetec in the 3dr, i could have built 2 decent power cossie motors i reckon for the overall cost!

you have the RB26, and they can made to be silly. so IMO id stick with it. maybe a fresh rebuild, but a lot less grief than the v8. not as flashy granted, but a shit load cheaper/less stress
Old 16-07-2008, 09:00 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

was about to say a boat turbo or something lol. that looks MAD! this car is going to be so bonkers when it's done RB26 or V8. Having never driven either or knowing what either is like to drive apart from watching the fast and the furious and good old youtube I'd stick with the RB personally. Something about that engine that gives it such a legendary status if you get me, it's got a certain something to it that no other engine has apart from sounding the nuts. I'd wait and see what the scania turbo does before considering the V8. Arse out tyres spinning will see it in it's powerband I would imagine with the single so I don't think there would be an issue with lag from that angle.

You could always go the option of stroker the RB or do a short block conversion to 3.0 or whatever to get the low down power/quicker spool on the single. When do you expect it to start spooling?
Old 16-07-2008, 09:04 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

RB26 = Legendary status

The V8 is alot more work but would be awesome and sound epic (much better than an RB26 IMHO)

Last edited by lead_foot; 16-07-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Fudgey
ps, as for making the wrong engine fit into something it shouldnt, id not bother!

doing the zetec in the 3dr, i could have built 2 decent power cossie motors i reckon for the overall cost!

you have the RB26, and they can made to be silly. so IMO id stick with it. maybe a fresh rebuild, but a lot less grief than the v8. not as flashy granted, but a shit load cheaper/less stress
Well I dunno.

All itd need is custom engine mounts and custom prop, nowt else, not even sump, it fits nicer than the RB26 does! The RB barely fits in the bay lengthways.

Rebuilding the RB when it dies to a sensible 700bhp spec will be 3k minimum id say, so not cheap, far more expensive than the V8.

If RBs were bulletproof or anywhere near as cheap to fix/rebuild as the V8, id not even have these thoughts.

Also, blame Gatebil. It gives you crazy ideas.

But just to save time, even tho I bet ill regret it in the long run, I reckon there a 80% chance its the RB that gets finished, as, well, ive 90% finished it already

Last edited by Stavros; 16-07-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Yes.

Some people collect stamps, You collect Turbo's.....

legend LOL

whats the story with the cooler in the pic?
Old 16-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

fair play then bud. but bear in mind, its cost me about £350 just for the fuel pipe fittings etc!

you will need to obv have all custom pipework done, mounts are easy enough to do tho.

prop, i guess ecoprop can do that. (or whatever the company is called)

i forgot that you have most of the v8 stuff, so fuck it, build the enigne propper, and then do it lol

that transbrake shit rules, i featured a mustang drag car a couple of years ago with one, was funny as fuck!!
Old 16-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Crowder

u know rb's through and through. Keep it make it mental get the cage in and sprayed up some mental colour imo :P
Old 16-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Whats the RB worth now if you rip it out while its running and sell it as a complete package?
Old 16-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Chip- RB bare is worth 2.5k all day long, most places sell at 2.5k plus VAT for a s/h one, and mines proven with 10.5bar compression accross all 6, has cams, and looks pretty
I had people from Norway and Sweden ringing and wanting to drive over and collect that week when I tentativley put it up for sale a few month back.
Plus at least 500quid of other RB bits I wont need too, prob closer to a grand.

Changed my mind back then as factoring in the cost of a TKO600, decent clutch and fly, etc etc made me think its not worth it. But didnt realise the cost of a decent race auto...

Originally Posted by Fudgey
fair play then bud. but bear in mind, its cost me about £350 just for the fuel pipe fittings etc!

you will need to obv have all custom pipework done, mounts are easy enough to do tho.
Thats the thing, I need to buy that lot for either engine I do, I have all the fuel system for both cars, but need to buy the pipework etc etc, so thats no money issue either way. £350 isnt bad tho, I factored in more than that, hope mines that low,

And yeah, the V8 would be built properly from the start, tho I have half of it already. Inc a mega strong block it seems, one of the best.
That was all factored in to it, I can build the engine up with fully forged steel internals for same or less than I can sell the RB26 for.

Obvious thing to do is finish the RB26 while building the V8 too, BUT like said, soon as the RB26 blows up, its worthless, gone from 2.5k to 500quid if im lucky, so doing that is a major risk, ie if it dont get sold now, its not worth me ever selling it.

And yeah, forgot about youve experienced transbrake fun and games, mint eh

But waiting for it to be done will suck... Hmm. Its a risk either way.

Last edited by Stavros; 16-07-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 16-07-2008, 09:25 PM
longdog
PassionFord Post Troll

if go for V8 there will be no passnger seat. And the exhaust and screamer will exit out the rear passenger side door. And the turbo will be this one, with a 6inch inlet, and its the size of the earth, really really big, and sit where the passenger seat was.
That would be insane seen a turbo as a back box, but not in a passenger seat. I dont think your going to be happy untill you've built some v8 madness, but this cars always going to be mad what ever you end up doing to it.
Old 16-07-2008, 09:44 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go V8, transbrake and satin black with the spoiler and I personally think you will have the most bad ass street car in the uk
Old 16-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
Go V8, transbrake and satin black with the spoiler and I personally think you will have the most bad ass street car in the uk
Without doubt. Proper Gatebil spec madness. Like nothing else in the UK.
Old 17-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

V8 is the only sensible option IMHO

I hate to sound like a yank but "their aint no replacement for displacement" you can have the same power and far more reliable, or twice as much power and no less reliable.

Thats why Im ripping the 2.0 out of my calibra and putting in a 4.0 1UZ V8 instead.

And likewise, using an autobox, stupidly strong and cost naff all, and you dont have to worry about drying clutches all the time either.

Ive got a GT42R for mine, but probably use 2 smaller ones just cause of instalation issues as I want to keep it as a 4 seater road car ideally as already got a couple of 2 seat track car type motors.
Old 17-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Its deffo the sensible option, but its a time thing, im properly impatient.

I think maybe, though it will mean I probably waste a grand over doing the V8 from the off, ill complete the big single on the RB26, see how I like it, get a power figure, and if I dont like it, I can prob sell it for 5k complete instead of 2.5k for the engine alone and another 1k or so in bits n bobs.

Thing is, any lag is easily gone with a squirt of gas, so itd prob be wrong for me to get rid for that reason, but on the flip side, even if its amazing to drive and I love it, the potential reliability issue of the current engine and box, ie lack of, engine AND transmission, is still there.

Argh, I dunno.

On a progress note, the welder dude said he will be done modding the RB manifold by friday afternoon, he just swapping wastegate flanges etc for me...
Old 17-07-2008, 01:58 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Even if the RB goes pop, depending on what actually happens, is it still salvageable i.e. worth getting it rebuilt?
Old 17-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

If/when the RB goes pop, providing it dont fuck the block, which is unlikely, it would cost me at least 1500quid to get it back to a decent state even if it just did a bearing/piston/headgasket id say.
If I sold it broke its worth 500quid tops, rather than 2.5k as is.
Gearbox (R33GTST) will cost me 400quid or so to replace every time I break it, which will be quite often. Or about 6k for a bullet proof dog box.

So as you can see, on the price front, V8 and race auto is more sensible. Just more time consuming at the start.
Old 17-07-2008, 03:26 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

suppose it depends how long you keep the car to be honest. if it's going to be a keeper for a good few years then V8 sounds more sensible. if you are going to get bored a couple of years down the road then I don't see it worth it.

P.S. when have you ever been sensible???
Old 17-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Nah, I plan to keep the car for 5+yrs.

I sold the Cossie after 3 yrs and regretted it ever since.

This is the only car since the Cossie ive had any real love for, so its not going for a long long time.
Old 17-07-2008, 04:10 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

well ultimately it's your decision, but for 5+ years of usage (proper usage), V8 + blower and solid as mountains gearbox sounds the better option.
Old 17-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Steve, why actually did you sell the 3dr for?

I asked above, what is the cooler for, was that the one of the 200sx or GTR?
Old 17-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Why? As I believed all the Skyline GTR hype. Basically it was the first TOTB that did it. Seeing GTRs launch off the rev limiter over and over, never seen a car sound that good and take off like that in my life, I had to have one.
Then I did, and it was boring, and even went in friends 550bhp ones, and even they wasnt all that, so went mad on it, and it was expensive, too expensive, and nobbed it off.

Cooler was S13 one. Skyline one was MILES bigger.
Old 17-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

ah right fair enough, do you wished you have kept the cossie now?
Old 17-07-2008, 05:44 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Surely for the money you spent on the skyline you could of had a nice spec cossie, i know you like doing things DIY so something like a 1.6 shell rep could be a cool project for you.
Old 17-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Ginge
www.virtualseason.net

Transbrake tastic!!!

I'd have to pull away from everywhere using it wouldn't be to good for tyre life but who cares!

Ginge

Quick Reply: My JZX81 Toyota Chaser