Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Peugeot 205 with 4wd cosworth engine and running gear.

Search this Thread

Old 29-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by wes
I ran mine at about 120 psi usually (left it on that setting on track), would dial in a bit more if launching (never needed to go above 200 psi), but when fully locked I found when you came on power it would torque steer (6.5" Quaife ATB front diff) which wasn't a pleasant experience when the old T4 came on boost with a bang

My controller was basic though and wasn't "active", I'll be getting either one of the ETS pro controllers or the MapDCCD.com items in the near future.

That is really useful to know, Thanks. I saw a tech sheet saying that the max working pressure was 228 psi

I think I was expecting more and therefore thought something was wrong when it wasn't. The ETS instructions suggest that on max gain the car should almost stall when moving slowly in car parks etc.
Old 29-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

ETS pro have told me that their Engineer is looking at my info and will help me sort it. I have a feeling something is not right on the system as I have checked through all of the wires today and it WAS all correct apart from the poor earth on the 2wd switch....so now I have 2wd or Full on locked up centre diff 4x4...I just need the auto and manual in between. I found out that the g sensor has maps to auto detect gravel / snow, parking, race / drag strip and fast road etc and reacts in milliseconds so the car can run as pretty much 2wd until it needs to be anything other than that...all left in auto mode.
Old 29-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Toby this all sounds a mega ball ache hope its worth ! My Son has asked my to look into this for him and I am really not willing to do it lol
Old 29-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jay,
Toby this all sounds a mega ball ache hope its worth ! My Son has asked my to look into this for him and I am really not willing to do it lol
Nah, it's pretty simple, others have done it trouble free, I wouldn't let it put you off, when working perfectly it will be proper fun. Don't forget mine is in a 205 pug with cossie engine, supra diff and skyline box....there are a lot of variable for a complete amateur to mess up.
Old 29-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Its not just that its the bell housing mod too finding a reliable person to do it is hard I know plenty of welders but actually getting it right lol think I might just help him out with the cost of a gear kit be less hassle lol
Old 29-07-2015, 07:21 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Its not just that its the bell housing mod too finding a reliable person to do it is hard I know plenty of welders but actually getting it right lol think I might just help him out with the cost of a gear kit be less hassle lol
You not know moby jay he is spot on if you have the exact measurements
Old 29-07-2015, 07:43 PM
MK MOTORSPORT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ajamesc
You not know moby jay he is spot on if you have the exact measurements

I have them if anybody wants them
Mark
Old 29-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Thats the thing Andy I dont and cant be arsed to get boxes and get measuring I would rather hand it to some one else but by then by the time you pay out all that then the gearkit is economical
Old 29-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I think MK has done so many now that he can do it in his sleep. I know coley has done 2 or 3 too. I could actually get any number cast for not a lot if someone has a better one than mine to begin with.

Mine may be 100% ok and it could all be my fitting issues.

The beauty is that when you have a good bellhousing the replacement boxes are cheap, you can even get a fully built up os gicken close ratio box for around Ł2.5k or a 6 spd for Ł3 that can take 1000 bhp. Then add in the 2wd option and active split diff and it makes a gear kit look a bit simple IMO.

The gear kit is simple though.
Old 29-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Forgot to add but I am sure you knew anyway that he can come and try mine as soon as I am on the road and see what you both think.
Old 29-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
I think MK has done so many now that he can do it in his sleep. I know coley has done 2 or 3 too. I could actually get any number cast for not a lot if someone has a better one than mine to begin with.

Mine may be 100% ok and it could all be my fitting issues.

The beauty is that when you have a good bellhousing the replacement boxes are cheap, you can even get a fully built up os gicken close ratio box for around Ł2.5k or a 6 spd for Ł3 that can take 1000 bhp. Then add in the 2wd option and active split diff and it makes a gear kit look a bit simple IMO.

The gear kit is simple though.

Would be quite cool if it was a kit to buy then just fit it to a box and crack on but sadly how many would do this conversion to make it worth there while but we would love to pop over when you have to Toby that would be great
Old 29-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

No probs Jay. Easy to do. MK bellhousing, ets pro controller (7wires) props by prop shaft services Ł200. Reyland / helix clutch plate with Reylands centre push kit. Skyline paddle clutch. Bit of welding on the gearbox mount and tunnel, One Meercat....simples!
Old 30-07-2015, 11:50 AM
ossie cossie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I have them if anybody wants them, I would like the measurements.
Old 30-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

So today I went for a little drive. First off in 2WD....drove nicely and when I let it make a bit of boost in 2nd it left 2 black lines up the road but pretty much went in a straight line. Lots of blue smoke off the tyres.

Then I switched on the attesa pump and locked it in 4wd....I can see what Coley means it just locks up and goes, it NEVER used to dig in and go like that but before I had a tired Cossie diff in the back, now I have rebuilt Maxi Weir in the Supra rear and Quaife Atb up front.

Then I had a bit of a problem.

I checked all the fluids etc and all were fine...went for another spin up the road and had forgotten to lock the bonnet pins. I am now the 3rd owner of this car to have had the bonnet fly up and go through the windscreen. (600 mile old windscreen and 600 mile old bonnet with fresh paint) The roof has the dent again!

Carbon fibre here I come.

Clutch centre push bearing is rattling on the back plate of the clutch and doesn't look right to me so tomorrow the box comes out again. (I sent a Vid to Coley and The Transplanter to see what they think)

The Pug master cylinder and servo give a long pedal on the big Cossie calipers so I need to think of a fix there too.

Box shifts gears very nicely with no horrid noises....so a good day but an expensive day.

Last edited by Caddyshack; 30-07-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 30-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So today I went for a little drive. First off in 2WD....drove nicely and when I let it make a bit of boost in 2nd it left 2 black lines up the road but pretty much went in a straight line. Lots of blue smoke off the tyres.

Then I switched on the attesa pump and locked it in 4wd....I can see what Coley means it just locks up and goes, it NEVER used to dig in and go like that but before I had a tired Cossie diff in the back, now I have rebuilt Maxi Weir in the Supra rear and Quaife Atb up front.

Then I had a bit of a problem.

I checked all the fluids etc and all were fine...went for another spin up the road and had forgotten to lock the bonnet pins. I am now the 3rd owner of this car to have had the bonnet fly up and go through the windscreen. (600 mile old windscreen and 600 mile old bonnet with fresh paint) The roof has the dent again!

Carbon fibre here I come.

Clutch centre push bearing is rattling on the back plate of the clutch and doesn't look right to me so tomorrow the box comes out again. (I sent a Vid to Coley and The Transplanter to see what they think)

The Pug master cylinder and servo give a long pedal on the big Cossie calipers so I need to think of a fix there too.

Box shifts gears very nicely with no horrid noises....so a good day but an expensive day.

Shit the bed!!!

Seriously fella you ain't having the best of luck!! prop's for cracking on and not being phased by it all

Having a bonnet come up must be the worst thing ever!! not sure what catches you are using but i used to have aero catches, advantage with these is you can physically see they are open/not locked, just a thought

sounds like the results from the box have been worth the troubles though
Old 30-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Tev
Shit the bed!!!

Seriously fella you ain't having the best of luck!! prop's for cracking on and not being phased by it all

Having a bonnet come up must be the worst thing ever!! not sure what catches you are using but i used to have aero catches, advantage with these is you can physically see they are open/not locked, just a thought

sounds like the results from the box have been worth the troubles though
Thanks, they were aero catches but just not fully shut....silly mistake in my excitement. The new bonnet will have a tether to stop it half way up. It was my first experience of a smashed windscreen. I am just glad I was doing about 30 and in a straight line as you can't see a great deal!

I was talking to Coley a few mins ago and I said that I am glad I drove it and experienced how good it was, the minor set backs don't take the shine off it. Onwards and upwards.

2wd makes the car have another dimension....I been black flagged on track days for too much "drifting" before so I think I am going to enjoy this!
Old 30-07-2015, 07:19 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

Sounded like you was just starting to have fun mate, can tell how happy you are though as you dont seemed phased by it
I think you sold me on this ive been having a tug o war in my mind "oppligger gtr oppligger GTR" lol its the 2wd / 4x4 thats doing for me and from your reports it sounds the way jay will tell you how much too'ing and frowing ive been doing on this
Old 30-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Scott I am still not interested in doing it lol but my son keeps banging on about it and Im just ignoring him lol . But its your money our kid and seeing as its in the build stage now its the idea time to make your mind up and that's another thing I am not happy about modding the gear tunnel/floor to do it either
Old 30-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by smiley
Sounded like you was just starting to have fun mate, can tell how happy you are though as you dont seemed phased by it
I think you sold me on this ive been having a tug o war in my mind "oppligger gtr oppligger GTR" lol its the 2wd / 4x4 thats doing for me and from your reports it sounds the way jay will tell you how much too'ing and frowing ive been doing on this
Mate, I went back and forwards....looking back I would be driving it long ago with the Oppliger at about twice the money for the close ratio long box I wanted but the 4 wd. / 2wd is so attractive, nearly half price and once set up you can buy skyline boxes for Ł300 to Ł800 all day long so you can afford to be brutal.

It took the guy who invented the lightbulb over 1000 attempts to get it right, when asked if he let it get to him he said, "no, I just found 1000 ways that it did not work"

A few set backs will not phase me now.
Old 30-07-2015, 08:51 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Scott I am still not interested in doing it lol but my son keeps banging on about it and Im just ignoring him lol . But its your money our kid and seeing as its in the build stage now its the idea time to make your mind up and that's another thing I am not happy about modding the gear tunnel/floor to do it either
Lol can just imagine your lad "please dad please" deffo that as you say jay with it being at the stage its at a few more cuts and welds wont make any difference and i get it about chopping a good cossy in your case
Old 30-07-2015, 08:57 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Mate, I went back and forwards....looking back I would be driving it long ago with the Oppliger at about twice the money for the close ratio long box I wanted but the 4 wd. / 2wd is so attractive, nearly half price and once set up you can buy skyline boxes for Ł300 to Ł800 all day long so you can afford to be brutal.

It took the guy who invented the lightbulb over 1000 attempts to get it right, when asked if he let it get to him he said, "no, I just found 1000 ways that it did not work"

A few set backs will not phase me now.
Lol to true mate will have to have a chat sometime toby get a list together of bits you going ford fair mate?
Old 30-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by smiley
Lol to true mate will have to have a chat sometime toby get a list together of bits you going ford fair mate?
Cool pm me if you need my number, was going to ford fair but now I will be under the car on my ramps, tearing it down...again. Box out for last time...again.
Old 30-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Thanks for the call Jay...much appreciated!
Old 30-07-2015, 09:06 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Will do mate
Old 30-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Thanks for the call Jay...much appreciated!
No worries ill text you tomorrow about the bonnet
Old 31-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Oh just to add if we were in a pub chatting about gearbox's I would have to say mine sounds so cool so it has to be better
Old 31-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I was quite chuffed. I timed the gearbox removal from ramps up to pulling the box off the block was just under 2 hrs. That's prop shafts off each end, hydraulic clutch off, reverse switch off, all bellhousing bolts removed, centre diff mount off. Exhaust completely off the car including down pipe off turbo and anti roll bar off.

I am now making a cradle for the transmission jack to physically bolt to the box mounts so I know I can remove in 2 hrs any time I need (hopefully not many times apart from clutch change)

Sat will let me inspect the clutch and back plate, we think that the mondeo release bearing is not sitting on the ends of the clutch fingers on the helix plate.
Old 31-07-2015, 05:41 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

This is a problem I face after putting my gear box in with my old block and finding out my external slave is about a fag paper away from the bulk head lol. I decided I'm better off with a centre push and also found out my helix 7.5 inch twin plate needs a centre push. There's a million and one cheap options but I really don't want to keep removing the gearbox. 10 minutes on the phone to reyland and you know he knows what he is talking about and once I've got the measurements I need he can supply me with one that is proper and will last.

Last edited by ajamesc; 31-07-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 31-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

This is a problem I face after putting my gear box in with my old block and finding out my external slave is about a fag paper away from the bulk head lol. I decided I'm better off with a centre push and also found out my helix 7.5 inch twin plate needs a centre push. There's a million and one cheap options but I really don't want to keep removing the gearbox. 10 minutes on the phone to reyland and you know he knows what he is talking about and once I've got the measurements I need he can supply me with one that is proper and will last.
Totally agree, I have had more luck finding the A team than speaking to Martin of late, I have money to spend and yet he has ignored my last emails, my last text to his personal mobile (we have ways of finding stuff out) and my last phone call on said mobile went unanswered. The last office call or ten I made had an answer phone message to say we are busy packing up your stuff, don't leave a message as we won't listen to it. My front discs and pads came from him, my brake lines came from home, my brake pads came from him, my clutch came from him,my helix cover come from him, my hydraulic clutch kit came from him.....it is not like I am a messer!
Old 31-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Oh and bulkheads were only made to keep the angle grinders and mig elders busy....ford only meant them as a suggestion of where to cut you know.
Old 31-07-2015, 05:54 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Do you use this number? 0121 458 6010 I got straight through to him.
Old 31-07-2015, 05:57 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Oh and bulkheads were only made to keep the angle grinders and mig elders busy....ford only meant them as a suggestion of where to cut you know.
I thought about cutting mine but decided it was a bodge and not the route I want to take. Centre push can be reliable if done right rod has had no issues with his. Once I'm in a position to measure from my block to my pressure plate fingers I'll be ordering off him
Old 31-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Do you use this number? 0121 458 6010 I got straight through to him.
Not sure, I used the number on the website.
Old 31-07-2015, 06:59 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Not sure, I used the number on the website.
I had that issue then found a number under reyland motors and got straight through lol
Old 31-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I had that issue then found a number under reyland motors and got straight through lol
The way some people run their businesses astounds me!
Old 31-07-2015, 09:14 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I was quite chuffed. I timed the gearbox removal from ramps up to pulling the box off the block was just under 2 hrs. That's prop shafts off each end, hydraulic clutch off, reverse switch off, all bellhousing bolts removed, centre diff mount off. Exhaust completely off the car including down pipe off turbo and anti roll bar off.

I am now making a cradle for the transmission jack to physically bolt to the box mounts so I know I can remove in 2 hrs any time I need (hopefully not many times apart from clutch change)

Sat will let me inspect the clutch and back plate, we think that the mondeo release bearing is not sitting on the ends of the clutch fingers on the helix plate.
I can have my gearbox off the car in almost bang on 30 mins lol
Old 31-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by M K
I can have my gearbox off the car in almost bang on 30 mins lol
Blimey...is it on split pins? Lol....you ought to try doing the bolts up.

That is good going.

To be fair I had one cap head bolt round off so had to undo with mole grips but I have hex bolts to replace and that was only 10 mins at worst. ......I am off to to bolt it back up and try again.

Last edited by Caddyshack; 31-07-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 31-07-2015, 09:19 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Use a pukka Tilton csc and you will have no issues
Old 31-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by M K
Use a pukka Tilton csc and you will have no issues
You know what, I saw yours and thought...I ought to have done that...buy cheap...buy twice! I will do just that!
Old 31-07-2015, 09:24 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

I've used proper motorsport concentric slaves for 20 years and never had any issues.

Quick Reply: Peugeot 205 with 4wd cosworth engine and running gear.