General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The RST in performance Ford mag this month

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

martyn - i tend to agree with u
Old 12-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats fine until I remind you AGAIN of my earlier statement.

Imagine this thread had been someone suggesting that their Cossie had just made 500bhp (or even 400bhp) on XXX's Rolling Road and was still on the original Engine and Turbo. I think this whole forum would be awash in a sea of piss and tears.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:04 AM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always wondered why the british bhp AND 1/4 mile times were so much lower the us up here north????
My old rst got a brand new standard engine from ford put in it, was using the ford motorsport exhaust ant the pace chargecooler and chip of some make, when it was dynoed the first time, it made 194bhp/264nm with 0,85bar and slipping clutch...
Got the clutch made, ajusted it to 0,95bar and made 217bhp and 294nm at crank.
I tryed to wind the boost up to 1,2bar but the wheels just went up in smoke, even in 3. gear so put the boost back to 0,95bar.
STILL the car made an 6,4sec to 100km/h and 14,4sec 1/4 mile with standard wheels and an bilstein suspension...
I think that with the right mods to an STANDARD engine with the right zorst/cooler/cam and setup could esaly make 240brake, even on standard turbo..

Nothing more to say, keep up the good work jam
Old 12-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Chris Holmes
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

My S2 has done 1500 miles, so is nice and fresh. The spec is 1.6 cvh, steel rods, low comp pistons, Cylinder head Developments Ultimate head, standard cam, stage 4 turbo (Its BIG), 5th injector, Pro Alloy intercooler, rad and turbo cooler. Its just made @ Power Engineering 237BHP @ 22PSI and 245BHP @ 24 PSI. It also did 260Ib ft of torque.

Cost fucking shit loads, so if another S2 that has more power than that with naff all spent on it what am I doing wrong?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:21 AM
B19-TRB
Professional Waffler

Ah Frankie!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost fucking shit loads, so if another S2 that has more power than that with naff all spent on it what am I doing wrong?

As already said, you are not technically doing anything wrong, its just that some people do things DIFFERENTLY

Everyone has been down the tried and tested route and ended up with similar figures.
But some people veer off from the boring route and try new settings and ideas.
Just because a head is modified it doesnt mean to say that it is modified in the same was as every other head. Its called progression.
Of course, sometimes these new ways and ideas dont work, but when they do it obviously opens up new avenues.

It saddens me that so many people are quick to slate something just because theyve heard about something that they previously thought was not possible, rather than show some genuine interest as to how and why it was done.

Someone earlier said something like "when we see something new and it breaks new ground we obviously want to ask questions"

Nothing wrong with that atall, but the fact is, people havent been just asking questions (Apart from Christian) they have simply been slagging Jamsport off and coming out with claims that their rollers are out, the turbo simply cannot be standard, it must be bullshit, the figures are doctored etc etc etc.

Please ask questions, but can the slagging off stop?
Just imagine if it was YOUR company that was getting a slating on here, Im sure you would feel alot different then.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:08 AM
Nice_aRSe
Regular Contributor

Theres only so many things you can do to a cylinder head tho and i would put bottom dollar on people like cylinder head developments having already tried everything and pushed the cvh head to its limits.

Cant see that jamsport done anythign different to the head

I wanna put my car on there rollers. I fancy 170bhp form my totally standard S2
Old 12-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Theres only so many things you can do to a cylinder head tho and i would put bottom dollar on people like cylinder head developments having already tried everything and pushed the cvh head to its limits.
Everything in the world has a KNOWN SO FAR limit.
Years ago people said you cant get X from a cossie engine, but now it has been done and then some.

Cant see that jamsport done anythign different to the head
Correct.
In your own words; you cant see that they have done anything different.
That is because you were not there when it was done, therefore YOU HAVE NOT SEEN it, eh?
Because you have not seen it yourself, does that automatically mean that it cannot be done?
Thought not...

I wanna put my car on there rollers. I fancy 170bhp form my totally standard S2
Why dont you bring it over on saturday then? Its less than an hour away from birmingham
Old 12-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Makes me laugh that everyone here is going on about headwork and how the head must be better than all previous heads to make more horsepower.

Open your minds chaps... The KE system has a serious flaw with making any horsepower, and as Jamport are obviously fully aware, its not getting more air in, its burning it efficiently that gives the best gains, not forcing more air in and burning it even less efficiently.

Just to brighten up this topic... heres two pictures of Dan to make you cynical sods smile

Old 12-05-2005, 09:36 AM
B19-TRB
Professional Waffler

Fookin Excellent!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

I'm sitting here on a day off crying at my keyboard

My old rsturbo ( frankie as you lot call it ) was a wicked fun car . I'd love to have it in the drive way now and go out for a rampage!!!

Tonyk it actually only recorded 165 at the wheels in 3rd when it did 149.9 down brunters, I also lifted a good long way before the end as I wasn't sure about revving an old engine so high in those days. Wish i had just held it as it lasted another 20k+ miles before it dropped a valve at Totb.

ps it was only on 12 psi when it did 149.9 and as stu said about 13 psi when it ran at totb.

I still dont believe that someone is getting 250 bhp from a std turbo tho

Anyway. I'm still sitting here reminiscing over all the fun days spent working on my car the time we removed a gearbox in 12 mins because we had just refitted it at the new clutch didn't work...

As stu said, near the end the body work was fvcked and it either need re-shelled or someone who can seriously restore motors working on it but she was still a flyer... cant decide whether thats a or a

" She fvcking loves it "

RW
Old 12-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan and the lads at Jamsport know my opinion on their high "flywheel" readings achieved on their rollers (because I KNOW what a Cossie engine makes on an engine dyno at 17psi on a T34 ), BUT that is immaterial in this case.

As Ben has pointed out IGNORE the figures if they offend you, or subtract 20bhp from them if you like. What you HAVE to accept is the fact that the test was done on the same day on the same car on the same rollers, so the improvements are still vaild and completely relative .
Old 12-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

as sad as it seems but I used to enjoy the stories about RW old RST

that 12/13psi... assume thats held? what did it peak at
Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Westy, with 165 at the wheels, hardly over 12, when AVA did their fuel mod it meant they could run a bigger mid range spike to help the car feel more punchy ( 195 wheels ) I think it hit about 17 in the mid if you loaded fifth? Thing was I never had it at those revs really, once u nailed it you stayed up the power band as the video showed and at those revs ( ie when your racing it ) it was only 13 psi.

I was in the gym the other day and was chatting to this lad that has a 3 litre non turbo supra. Lovely condition car. He asked me if I had ever been chased by the police. i told him I had a story for each day of the week about the good old days lol

RW
Old 12-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Versus_Creations
Ask me a question!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMSPORT DAN
Where do you think all the WRC ideas came from ????
ERM...... A WRC CAR

This is one fuuny topic Keep up the good work
Old 12-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

was it not you and your mate Jimmy Going back a good few years now..

If I remember correctly spec was

1600cvh
PE head
PE cam
Stage 3 turbo
AVA fuel mod

that was the core wasnt it?

Remember your home made charge cooler ?? that was different
Old 12-05-2005, 09:59 AM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Thanks for your contribution Jano.

What was your best quarter with your flagship car again????

Didnt really stick in my mind....LOL
Old 12-05-2005, 10:02 AM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Makes me laugh that everyone here is going on about headwork and how the head must be better than all previous heads to make more horsepower.

Open your minds chaps... The KE system has a serious flaw with making any horsepower, and as Jamport are obviously fully aware, its not getting more air in, its burning it efficiently that gives the best gains, not forcing more air in and burning it even less efficiently.

Just to brighten up this topic... heres two pictures of Dan to make you cynical sods smile

Cheers STU....LOL

Whens the next one????...LOL
Old 12-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Westy,

yeah ran a home brew chargecooler that worked really well, about 30 degrees c held flat at 6k+ on the rollers and later on two cossie intercoolers that ran 28 degrees flat on the rollers. I changed because the amount of weight and complexity to get a chargecooler that worked properly was just too much. But I had to radically alter the front end to fit the cossie intercoolers.

Subtle things like porting of injector sandwich plates, throttle bodies and ever little lip I could find might have helped keep things good but it wasn't a proveable amount! Car made 206 at the wheels one time but needed to be turned down for a safety margin.

at 195 at the wheels it was probablt about a 220bhp genuine rst. Equates to the same as it made at nobels about 175 at the wheels on their rollers with a flywheel figure of about 220 if i recall.

happy days!

RW
Old 12-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

quality mate

Even remember a thread on Scoobynet.. That time you went on the track with them This must be back in 2001 Even before that actually

Build another one Steve
Old 12-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I can confirm it never really went over 13psi, was totally ace. I cant get across the point enough that attention to detail is the key. My engine is now making the same sort of power at 13psi, and i still have a std cam - to say a im pleased is an understatement. The way it drives is soooooo much better than my old engine, which had similar power but used 17psi and a wild cam to acheive it. When i double the boost, it's gonna get interesting
Old 12-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Versus_Creations
Ask me a question!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for your contribution Jano.

What was your best quarter with your flagship car again????

Didnt really stick in my mind....LOL

My car (XR) is a STD 1.6 cc CVH with 13.4sec 1/4 and 108terminal!

It was never built to prove times and terminals.

Correct me if im wrong but this puts it directly inline with your Qplater

PLUS if you download this footage i think you will see the outcome of one of my cars V's yours

http://members.lycos.co.uk/oddkidd/whoopingoddkidds.mpg
Old 12-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

whats the spec of your RST then Rick

que, took years and years to develop, so not saying
Old 12-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

PLUS if you download this footage i think you will see the outcome of one of my cars V's yours
Errrmmm, that looks like its being beemed from half way across the universe!
100% impossible to see who won it
Old 12-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Rick,

Sounds like a good car you are making there

Westy, the subaru track day was awesome. I think it shocked alot of em!!!

RW
Old 12-05-2005, 10:40 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

That was some piece of shit, that old car of yours Steve

Fookin went like the clappers though
Old 12-05-2005, 10:54 AM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Originally Posted by martyn
Errrmmm, that looks like its being beemed from half way across the universe!
100% impossible to see who won it

Well done Jano, footage is excellent.

Keep up the good work.

Correct me if im wrong but this puts it directly inline with your Qplater

The thing is Jano, jamie was doing 13.1's 7 years ago and never needed to do anything else to the car since and you are JUST catching up now with your 13.4, so now we step it up a gear on our new Q plater, see you in another 7 years mate......!!!!

You come here to slate, and take the piss, so be slated yourself..!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 12-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Chairman
Part of the Furniture

Is Jano the bloke who does the OddKodd creations..??
Old 12-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Rich

lol!!!

when i first got it, it was a totally std lovely perfect rst running nowt but a scorpion exhaust

racing took over and the rest... well the rest lookswise... is history

RW
Old 12-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

on a serious note danny how good arte you guys with efi runing cars as i got a car that needs setting up and ya not far off from the guy ( as such )

i wanna get his running reliable and spot any faults to help save another melt down ( im guessing a injector or fuel presure prob tbh )

if ya wanna work on it ill pm ya or bell ya when its all done

oh and any ideas about the CPS for it as its a low milage mfi engine been modded ( read butchered )

Old 12-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Rippers
Monte Geek

The thing is Jano, jamie was doing 31.1's 7 years ago
Blimey that was fast
Jamie was doing 13.1's at TOTB remember that clearly.... as I spent the next hour stripping my car down
Old 12-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Zetec_mk4_XR3i
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I saw the results in the mag for Nick's Turbo and was very surprised but chuffed to bits!! I don't know nearly enough about the mechanics of these cars to pass judgement etc but big congrats to all involved - think i'll take mine to Jamsport
Old 12-05-2005, 12:09 PM
PF Ben
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just another one for all you disbelievers.....

Christian and Beccy wrote:

"That car ought (at the very least) to pass 150mph at Brunters and do a low 6 second 0-60 and a low 14 second 1/4 mile with a Terminal Speed of over 100mph (as long as I'm not the one driving it ). I guess that will be the proof that this car really has broken the mould.

Never mind Nick's car, how do you explain my old grey S2? 0-60: 6.02, 1/4-mile: 14.49 at 100.87mph?! Chip, water injection, exhaust!!!!!

Ben

PS: Sunny - because my car achieved those times (apparently the only 'real' test of true power in your eyes) does that mean my car had nearly 300-320bhp as C&B's car when we last featured it (5.94 to 60, 14.4 1/4 at 104.2?!!!! or does it mean C&B's car had around the same power as my car - 185ish? )
Old 12-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ben,
No, it means that Christian (even by his own admission) couldn't drive a slippery stick aup a dog's arse .
Old 12-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

reading this crap has just waisted half my dinner break

think its time to go runs some numbers with both escort(jamies and nicks) let the numbers finalise peoples views.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now Now Ben, lets not let this turn into a 'My cars better than yours' etc.

Of all those on this thread that doubt the figures, I am the only one that isn't slating the workmanship/RR figures. I am merely suggesting that PERHAPS there is more to this car than meets the eye, infact I would almost bet money on it.

Please dont bring my car/figures into this as thats a whole other can of worms.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:32 PM
MarkyMark
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Westy
yeah thats phat innit..

always thought it was spelt Fat Any pics of this phat Focus

anyway, going to buy PFord and see what all the fuss is about
Well, you asked

Old 12-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

max power would be proud
Old 12-05-2005, 12:38 PM
PF Ben
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Christian, I'm not starting anything like that, merely trying to dispel a) the myth that unless a car has tons of mods that on paper add up to xxxbhp it can't have xxxbhp, and b) the myth that performance times always confirm that a certain car has a certain bhp figure.

Ben

Quick Reply: The RST in performance Ford mag this month