General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

People not switching their headlights on when its getting dark.

Search this Thread

Old 26-11-2018, 09:41 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts
Default People not switching their headlights on when its getting dark.

What the fuck is wrong with some drivers!! At this time of the year with it getting dark earlier why do some idiots think they will not switch their headlights on when everyone has already done it? I was coming back on the Motorway from Portsmouth the other evening and there were several cars with no lights on, one being a black van which on the unlit sections was almost invisible!! Are they just stupid or do they still have the old fashioned idea that somehow they are "saving the battery"? Also others with just the parking lights on. That is what they are - parking lights for when you are not driving!
Old 27-11-2018, 12:15 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Its newer cars with drl lamps, with the faint glow coming from the front, they just presume their headlights are on. The fact that most dash boards light up like a Christmas tree when you turn the ignition on doesn't help either!

See a lot more cars these days with fog lights on in the dark, think the fines should be higher for misuse of lights etc.

People who also leave their wipers on full speed when the rain stopped 10 minutes ago, do them for lack of due care and attention!
Old 27-11-2018, 01:34 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST

People who also leave their wipers on full speed when the rain stopped 10 minutes ago, do them for lack of due care and attention!
Or the rear wipers on estates that look to have been on for days.

Like a lot of modern cars 1 of mine has Auto headlights.
But just a note to people, YOU STILL HAVE TO TURN THEM ON TO AUTO

Last edited by focusv8; 27-11-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 27-11-2018, 04:40 PM
STEVEST24
ST by Name and by Nature

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

How did you know!, I just had one in front of me tonight, slow moving traffic, no lights on, but they kept their brake lights on when stopped, dazzling me, so all was good.

Also some our streets have brighter LED street lights, which although much better than the old ones, do give some people false sense of when to put their car lights on.
Old 27-11-2018, 07:23 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

The standard of driving these days is just terrible.

Why do these fookers use there front fog lights for.
Old 27-11-2018, 08:15 PM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I do think modern cars are responsible for a lot of stupidity on the roads. People relying on technology to do the most obvious and simple tasks is a recipe for disaster. Earlier this year the wife was driving in thick fog without the headlights on because she always has them set to auto, she assumed they were on until I told her they weren't.
The following users liked this post:
rik-rs (02-12-2018)
Old 27-11-2018, 09:25 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 3i Jim
I do think modern cars are responsible for a lot of stupidity on the roads. People relying on technology to do the most obvious and simple tasks is a recipe for disaster. Earlier this year the wife was driving in thick fog without the headlights on because she always has them set to auto, she assumed they were on until I told her they weren't.
I agree with you about modern cars, people are getting so lazy they expect the car to do everything for them automatically!

Trending Topics

Old 27-11-2018, 09:53 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

But you can't blame the technology for that, when its the driver at fault. Would you rather get in a state of the art 787 to go on holiday, or something from the vintage era?

DRIVER AIDS should be there to make you a better driver, not to do everything for you! Use of mobile phones behind the wheel should be an instant 6 month ban, misuse of lights should be a bigger fine. Its all very well having the technology there to make your car safer, but if you can't use it properly then it's pointless.
Old 28-11-2018, 07:26 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

my daughters car reads warnings like text messages and suggests use of lights may help her drive in twilight hours if turned off, whatever next

Last edited by STeve; 28-11-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 28-11-2018, 08:00 AM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

Had to tell a lady the other night about driving in pitch black ..she looked at me gone out.
Old 28-11-2018, 10:16 AM
_Jimmy_
Regular Contributor

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

It must be to do with the dash lighting up all the time nowadays, used to be a dead giveaway to anyone with 2 brain cells when you look down and can't see any of the dials.

Walking to my car last night saw a little Peugeot thing with no lights on, woman driving ridiculously slow, thought about gesturing to her to let her know but then figured, what's the point?

Last edited by _Jimmy_; 28-11-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 28-11-2018, 12:43 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by _Jimmy_
It must be to do with the dash lighting up all the time nowadays, used to be a dead giveaway to anyone with 2 brain cells when you look down and can't see any of the dials.

Walking to my car last night saw a little Peugeot thing with no lights on, woman driving ridiculously slow, thought about gesturing to her to let her know but then figured, what's the point?
It really annoys me when I see the idiots driving with no lights on and the time when I would love to see a Police patrol car behind them it never happens!!!
Old 28-11-2018, 11:01 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
But you can't blame the technology for that, when its the driver at fault. Would you rather get in a state of the art 787 to go on holiday, or something from the vintage era?

DRIVER AIDS should be there to make you a better driver, not to do everything for you! Use of mobile phones behind the wheel should be an instant 6 month ban, misuse of lights should be a bigger fine. Its all very well having the technology there to make your car safer, but if you can't use it properly then it's pointless.
It's also the fault of police not enforcing road safety laws. If you're caught not using lighting appropriately, especially things like that through sheer incompetence, then you should be charged with dangerous driving, as if you cannot operate a simple light switch, clearly you cannot be trusted with any other car controls !
Even worse are arseholes during daylight, but conditions of reduced visibility who refuse to put their lights on. These too need charged with dangerous driving.

If the police refuse to remove these dangers from the roads, then they are also to blame for the carnage they can cause.
Glenn_ (29-11-2018)
Old 29-11-2018, 02:10 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Cossynut2 , you did this thread last year... https://passionford.com/forum/genera...no-lights.html

Last edited by Thrush; 29-11-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Old 29-11-2018, 06:46 AM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Still pisses him off eh!
Old 29-11-2018, 02:32 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
Cossynut2 , you did this thread last year... https://passionford.com/forum/genera...no-lights.html
It seems nothing has changed from last year and it still pisses me off !!! Sorry for a repeat rant but it winds me up!!!

Last edited by cossynut2; 29-11-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 29-11-2018, 03:11 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cossynut2
It seems nothing has changed from last year and it still pisses me off !!! Sorry for a repeat rant but it winds me up!!!
victor meldrew
Old 29-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I'll be sure to update my calendar for repeating events;

- Halloween
- Bonfire night
- Black Friday
- Cossynut2 moaning about headlights
- Xmas
- New Year
Old 29-11-2018, 09:10 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'll be sure to update my calendar for repeating events;

- Halloween
- Bonfire night
- Black Friday
- Cossynut2 moaning about headlights
- Xmas
- New Year
Ha Ha!!

Last edited by cossynut2; 29-11-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 29-11-2018, 11:28 PM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

So we've had the not switching on lights thread, the fog lights thread, road rage and bloody xmas threads. At least the forum won't be running out of topics anytime soon
Old 29-11-2018, 11:46 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by visa_broke
So we've had the not switching on lights thread, the fog lights thread, road rage and bloody xmas threads. At least the forum won't be running out of topics anytime soon
Bollocks, I forgot to start the "This isn't America, why the fuck do we have Black Friday???" thread 
Old 30-11-2018, 06:51 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The Highway code
  • ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
  • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
  • use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).

So, headlights not required at night, in built up areas. Let alone just a little overcast. Pisses me of people turning full headlights on as soon as the level of light drops slightly below "surface of the sun" level.

It's actually dangerous because on bumpy roads it can look to someone joining that they're being flashed out. I think because the contrast between the ambient light and the headlight is smaller that bit looking directly at the bulb stands out more and looks like a flash. When it's actually dark it doesn't stand out so much.

Last edited by St3V3_C; 30-11-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 30-11-2018, 08:59 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
The Highway code
  • ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
  • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
  • use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).

So, headlights not required at night, in built up areas. Let alone just a little overcast. Pisses me of people turning full headlights on as soon as the level of light drops slightly below "surface of the sun" level.

It's actually dangerous because on bumpy roads it can look to someone joining that they're being flashed out. I think because the contrast between the ambient light and the headlight is smaller that bit looking directly at the bulb stands out more and looks like a flash. When it's actually dark it doesn't stand out so much.
Are you sure you were looking at the 2018 highway Code? If that is correct its about time the rules were updated!! So let's all start driving around with no lights on at night in built up area's regardless of how poor the street lighting is!!! Sounds like a safe idea!!! Why not try it the next time you are being followed by a Police car? Are you one of the drivers that don't switch their lights on at night until it's pitch black?
Old 30-11-2018, 09:39 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Always been the way, headlights only needed on unlit roads, sidelights fine otherwise. Use this at night when someone's alternator packed up, connect the jump pack cables with pack in passenger footwell and follow to garage/home down streets with street lights with sidelights on vehicle to conserve battery power. Perfectly legal
Old 30-11-2018, 10:00 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Always been the way, headlights only needed on unlit roads, sidelights fine otherwise. Use this at night when someone's alternator packed up, connect the jump pack cables with pack in passenger footwell and follow to garage/home down streets with street lights with sidelights on vehicle to conserve battery power. Perfectly legal
Even if it is legal that is a crazy rule, the street lighting is piss poor in many places so who would be driving around without their headlights on? Sidelights are for using if you park up in a dimly lit street to make your car more visible for a short time you may be away from it ? I would never be driving around at night without my headlights on but if others want to that's up to them!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:43 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Are you sure you were looking at the 2018 highway Code? If that is correct its about time the rules were updated!! So let's all start driving around with no lights on at night in built up area's regardless of how poor the street lighting is!!! Sounds like a safe idea!!! Why not try it the next time you are being followed by a Police car? Are you one of the drivers that don't switch their lights on at night until it's pitch black?
straight off the HC website. Updated? Why? Has eyesight got worse in the last few years?

The only reason you can't see as well without headlights as it starts to fade is because you've been blinded by the Muppet coming towards you with headlights on. You've heard of night vision right?

I have a car that the dash doesn't light up unless the sidelights are on. They go on when I can't glance down and immediately read the gauges. Headlights a bit later, even in built up areas because of the blinding from other lights.

Bottom line is have a look up the road - if you can see , you don't need headlights lol
Old 01-12-2018, 08:50 AM
ProjectBobcat
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread popped up at just the wrong time for me. Some moron in a Hyundai 'SUV' was out at 8am this morning on the motorway with no lights on, the spray and visibility was so bad that most cars out there had rear fogs on, but this idiot was oblivious. An airbag to the face might have knocked some sense into them.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:55 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I hope you didn't have your rear fog lights on with all the spray around...
Old 01-12-2018, 05:11 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I hope you didn't have your rear fog lights on with all the spray around...
I don't understand why you are so against car drivers doing their best to make sure they are visible in all conditions. I don.t use my fog lights unless it is foggy but headlights on are a must in heavy rain and spray.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I don't understand why you are so against car drivers doing their best to make sure they are visible in all conditions. I don.t use my fog lights unless it is foggy but headlights on are a must in heavy rain and spray.
Because having rear fogs on with enormous amounts of spray just creates a huge red hue in the air - much to the same effect as using your high beams in fog - rather than pin points of light that regular tail lights give, making it not only harder to see where a car actually is, but it means the effect of brake lights is severely lessened, making it much more dangerous.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

straight off the HC website. Updated? Why? Has eyesight got worse in the last few years?

The only reason you can't see as well without headlights as it starts to fade is because you've been blinded by the Muppet coming towards you with headlights on. You've heard of night vision right?

I have a car that the dash doesn't light up unless the sidelights are on. They go on when I can't glance down and immediately read the gauges. Headlights a bit later, even in built up areas because of the blinding from other lights.

Bottom line is have a look up the road - if you can see , you don't need headlights lol
Whilst I do agree with you - so many people go from no lights to full lights, with nothing in between - I think one of the biggest problems now is because we've got into the DRL phase, people don't bother switching side lights on, and the problem with that is most car's DRL's don't include tail lights. So it gets past dusk and people think "well I've always got lights on the front anyway, I don't need my headlights" - correctly, as you've pointed out - but they don't factor in the fact their tail lights aren't on.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Utter nonsense.

Only a fool thinks headlights are only there to help you see.

Perhaps more important at times they are to help you to be seen by others. And given almost every accident out there is caused by some blind incompetent moron...anything that helps you be seen should be compulsory and strictly enforced.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:49 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Utter nonsense..
Have you read the highway code?

Don't perpetuate a problem by switching all your lights on. If you're really bothered write to your mp/Take to Facebook/ whatever, but don't break the rules just because some other people are...

People who might be switching their headlights on because you have...
Old 01-12-2018, 08:54 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I don't understand why you are so against car drivers doing their best to make sure they are visible
As I said, I've had people pull out on me because they thought I'd flashed them out on a bumpy road. It's even worse if you have a lowered car, like most of us do.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:57 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Because having rear fogs on with enormous amounts of spray just creates a huge red hue in the air - much to the same effect as using your high beams in fog - rather than pin points of light that regular tail lights give, making it not only harder to see where a car actually is, but it means the effect of brake lights is severely lessened, making it much more dangerous.
Completely agree.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:46 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

This threads getting a bit tasty! So let me throw this in to the pot. Motorcycles don't even have side lights and the headlights are on all the time and can't be switched off! Only the main beam can be turned on and off. Well at least that's how it was on my GSXR1000 ten or so years ago.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by nick46
This threads getting a bit tasty! So let me throw this in to the pot. Motorcycles don't even have side lights and the headlights are on all the time and can't be switched off! Only the main beam can be turned on and off. Well at least that's how it was on my GSXR1000 ten or so years ago.
That's because as already stated, from a safety perspective of being seen, it is perfectly normal and desirable to use dipped headlights when driving, especially when conditions may be less than ideal, with some scenarios already having been mentioned like mist/fog during daytime, low sun in the sky etc etc.

Only a fool things headlights are only to help you see....and usually the sort of people who pull out in front of others causing crashes.

Front only DRL's have to be one of the dumbest "safety" features on a car for the last few decades, and lack of rigorous police enforcement of assholes not turning their lights on when appropriate is second behind it. They need charged with dangerous driving if they cannot even perform a basic driving task of turning lights on.

Front and rear DRL's should be compulsory though.
cossynut2 (03-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:45 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I agree front and rear drl should be a must.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:49 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by gcfcos
I agree front and rear drl should be a must.
No doubt front only DRL's were some moronic EU legislation !
Old 02-12-2018, 05:22 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by nick46
I think it's right bike have headlights on to stand out - they are often not spotted by car drivers. And there is the point - to stand out, they have to be different to the rest of the traffic. That's another reason why cars shouldn't have headlights until it's dark.

Quick Reply: People not switching their headlights on when its getting dark.