General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Driving when its nearly dark with no lights!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21-12-2017, 01:25 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 399 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Driving when its nearly dark with no lights!!!

My pet hate again to do with car headlights. Still seeing loads of cars and vans etc with only one headlight working but there seems to be another even more dangerous trend with some idiots now. The other day I was on the M275 coming back to Southampton and it was getting pretty dark at about 4.20pm and there was a bloke driving his car with no lights on at all!!! Every other vehicle had their lights on and this car was almost invisible!! It was a fairly new car so I doubt if the lights had packed up. I got behind him and flashed my lights quite a few times just in case he had forgotten to switch them on but it made no difference and he continued for another 10 minutes before he finally switched them on! There are no Motorway lights on this section so what he was playing at only he knows.
I do see it quite often cars not switching their lights on until its almost dark. Do they think they are somehow saving the battery or do they think its clever to do it? Dickheads in my opinion and dangerous as well
Old 21-12-2017, 02:00 PM
Cookson
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably pissed
Old 21-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Guinnless
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's probably because the dashboard lights up and the DRLs light up the road in front so they are not aware. In my 1994 Granada I cant see the speedo if it's dark and I haven't put the lights on.

And don't get me started on Audi drivers. Audi should fit Tampax machines in all of their cars.

Old 21-12-2017, 03:58 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 118 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Guinnless
It's probably because the dashboard lights up and the DRLs light up the road in front so they are not aware. In my 1994 Granada I cant see the speedo if it's dark and I haven't put the lights on.
This! tbh!
Old 21-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Joris_FRST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably taken in for service and the automatic lights have been turned off by the mechanic.
They get me every time, lol.
Old 21-12-2017, 04:01 PM
cozzy jeff
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

one of my pet hates is when people sit parked up facing on coming traffic with there lights on blinding everyone coming towards them.
The following 4 users liked this post by cozzy jeff:
Adder (22-12-2017), morcheen (22-12-2017), rik-rs (21-12-2017), turbo m (22-12-2017)
Old 21-12-2017, 04:36 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 561 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by cozzy jeff
one of my pet hates is when people sit parked up facing on coming traffic with there lights on blinding everyone coming towards them.
This really winds me up too. Back in the day your dash would only light up with the lights switched on, why any manufacturer thought it would be a good idea to have them lit up all the time is beyond me
Old 21-12-2017, 05:38 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

My car lights up like a Christmas tree inside as soon as you open the door, the only indication your lights are on is an extra symbol on the dash. Drl's are a pain as like you say, a lot of drivers think their lights are on.

My biggest pet hate though is cunts that sit in traffic with their foot on the brake blinding whoever is behind with their brake lights.
Old 21-12-2017, 06:03 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 561 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
My car lights up like a Christmas tree inside as soon as you open the door, the only indication your lights are on is an extra symbol on the dash. Drl's are a pain as like you say, a lot of drivers think their lights are on.

My biggest pet hate though is cunts that sit in traffic with their foot on the brake blinding whoever is behind with their brake lights.
Oh yeah that's another one, instant migraine sat in traffic
Old 21-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Why do people drive about with a headlight out but then think it's ok to use the front fog lights to compensate for the head lights being out.
Old 21-12-2017, 06:58 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 206 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
Why do people drive about with a headlight out but then think it's ok to use the front fog lights to compensate for the head lights being out.
Because they are cunts.

I see so many cars with dip beam and side light out on the same side or only the middle stop lamp working.

Couple if nights ago I was walking the dog and even a copper was driving in the dark with only DRL on.
Old 21-12-2017, 07:08 PM
jonfoc

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

What's with people driving towards you on a dual carriageway or motorway with full beam on blinding you!!! Surely they know what they're doing.
Old 21-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm on the road all day everyday, and people baffle me when it comes to lights. People driving around with high beams on, people driving around with no lights on, people whose brake lights are on all the time, the sheer amount of people that have that one bright headlight, either cos they've got the wrong bulb in it or because it's out of alignment/fitted wonky. And that's before you get to the new, super-fucking-bright LED headlights that blind you constantly.

Fucking cunts.
The following users liked this post:
rik-rs (21-12-2017)
Old 21-12-2017, 07:34 PM
RSmark84

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

If you lot get annoyed with the odd driver, Think about me I gotta drive to Oxford 5 days a week and Oxford is full of wankers who have only 1 working headlight, so use full beams. Sit on the wrong side of the road parked up blinding everyone coming towards them. Twats who stop on main roads causing traffic jams, while the passenger in that car just looks on.

I've drove many places round the UK and Oxford is one of the worst place to drive in, Bristol and London follow behind.
Old 21-12-2017, 08:56 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by RSmark84
If you lot get annoyed with the odd driver, Think about me I gotta drive to Oxford 5 days a week and Oxford is full of wankers who have only 1 working headlight, so use full beams. Sit on the wrong side of the road parked up blinding everyone coming towards them. Twats who stop on main roads causing traffic jams, while the passenger in that car just looks on.

I've drove many places round the UK and Oxford is one of the worst place to drive in, Bristol and London follow behind.
I drive past the Honda plant every day, now that is a dangerous thing to do. It seems like the interview process for a job at Honda goes something like this, do you drive like a complete dick? If you reply Yes, then you are given a job and the keys to a jazz. After you've caused a dozen serious accidents you get rewarded with a civic or a crv for some ultimate carnage.
Old 21-12-2017, 09:31 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

people with full beam on soon mend thier ways when im around. 400w of rally lamps soon makes people dip thier beam.
Old 21-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 316 Likes on 289 Posts

Self levelling lights are annoying, that little delay when they're coming towards you blinds you and when they're behind, you think you're being flashed lol.
Old 21-12-2017, 10:13 PM
RSmark84

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I drive past the Honda plant every day, now that is a dangerous thing to do. It seems like the interview process for a job at Honda goes something like this, do you drive like a complete dick? If you reply Yes, then you are given a job and the keys to a jazz. After you've caused a dozen serious accidents you get rewarded with a civic or a crv for some ultimate carnage.

Yes, I know what they're like. Once that bell rings to let them know their shift is over the roads turn into the local racetrack 'Castle Combe'. When I worked there, the start of shift notices sometimes was about staffs driving around the town.
Old 21-12-2017, 10:32 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It seems a lot of others get pissed off with light issues as well as me!! I am certain a lot of lazy fuckers only get their lights fixed when its MOT time!!!
Old 21-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Wessa
Regular Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think driving without lights switched on at dawn, dusk and when its raining should be an offence. I know its an arguable time of day and condition but really.. How hard is it to put your lights on.. I suppose it comes down to what fukwit is behind the wheel eh..
Old 22-12-2017, 12:20 AM
visa_broke

Received 330 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by RSmark84
Yes, I know what they're like. Once that bell rings to let them know their shift is over the roads turn into the local racetrack 'Castle Combe'. When I worked there, the start of shift notices sometimes was about staffs driving around the town.
Yup pretty much when we all left it was a free for all, straight out onto the duel carriageway and go from there. Seen a few accidents in the car park

Same goes for when HD plastics/Baco used to be in business in biggleswade bedfordshire, the duel carrige way on the way towards baldock/stevenage was the same.

With regards to the brake lights at traffic lights its probably because most cars are auto now as people are lazy so they just sit with the brakes on rather than put it in park.
Old 22-12-2017, 09:32 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 372 Likes on 347 Posts

I used to come out of that carpark sideways but hey i was driving a ford lmfao.
Old 22-12-2017, 10:00 AM
morcheen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

more and more cars going about with lights out now.maybe less old bill means nobody gets pulled for it these days.
another thing i've noticed in the last few years is how poor some of the indicators (if they even bother to use them!) are on newer cars ! hard to even notice they are on.

Last edited by morcheen; 22-12-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 22-12-2017, 10:29 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by morcheen
more and more cars going about with lights out these days.maybe less old bill means nobody gets pulled for it these days.
I think if the Police had the resources and set up night time headlight checks it might make some of the idiots sort their lights out! In the space of 5 minutes the other night on a dual carriageway there were 9 cars with just one headlight!! The chances of that happening though are zero!!!
Old 22-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I'm on the road all day everyday, and people baffle me when it comes to lights. People driving around with high beams on, people driving around with no lights on, people whose brake lights are on all the time, the sheer amount of people that have that one bright headlight, either cos they've got the wrong bulb in it or because it's out of alignment/fitted wonky. And that's before you get to the new, super-fucking-bright LED headlights that blind you constantly.

Fucking cunts.

Im a driver all day everyday too and this hits the nail on the head fucking cunts everywhere.
Old 22-12-2017, 06:02 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush

Fucking cunts.
And the police are even bigger cunts for doing absolutely nothing about it all....in fact I followed a police car last tuesday evening in the dark....who was driving with no lights on.

Every single moron who cannot use their lights correctly...and especially those with no lights on when they should, need charged with dangerous driving and their license removed.
But typical police inaction here, leads to many road deaths because they dont give a flying fuck....either that or they're totally clueless themselves. It has to be one or the other.
Old 22-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

And then there's indicators. Do people not know how to work them.

I've seen this loads and loads of times now. Drivers come to a roundabout in the right Lane. They enter the roundabout to go right around it but don't indicate then when they come off the roundabout they will indicate left.

Is this a new thing in the highway code or what?????
Old 22-12-2017, 08:40 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

lately ive been seeing drivers approach a local roundabout on a dual carriageway on the inside and drive right around the outside perimeter to the furthest right (3rd or 4th) turnoff without indicating. another common one seems to be kerb hogging the outside perimeter without indicating , often undertaking, even when its a single lane road approach and roundabout .
is there not a legal limit to the maximum brightness headlight bulbs can be? 1 million megawatt bulbs are great for the guy driving it but its fucking blinding for everyone else!
Old 22-12-2017, 09:50 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 118 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
people with full beam on soon mend thier ways when im around. 400w of rally lamps soon makes people dip thier beam.
If you can't beat 'em, blind 'em!
Old 22-12-2017, 09:56 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

And then there's indicators. Do people not know how to work them.

I've seen this loads and loads of times now. Drivers come to a roundabout in the right Lane. They enter the roundabout to go right around it but don't indicate then when they come off the roundabout they will indicate left.

Is this a new thing in the highway code or what?????
It happens quite often from where I live into Southampton there are quite a few roundabouts and the ones that really piss me off are the pushy ones who approach the roundabout in the right lane and should be going off to the right and then cut across to the left lane to go straight on making me brake to avoid hitting them when I am in the lane I should be in!!! Blow your horn and get the finger from the ignorant pricks!!!!
Old 23-12-2017, 12:46 AM
visa_broke

Received 330 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by costina
I used to come out of that carpark sideways but hey i was driving a ford lmfao.
I still remember coming out one christmas night after the evening shift and hitting the limiter and popping a flame out the exhaust, got had a go at about that the next day at work.
Old 23-12-2017, 11:30 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Originally Posted by visa_broke
I still remember coming out one christmas night after the evening shift and hitting the limiter and popping a flame out the exhaust, got had a go at about that the next day at work.
lol
i was mainly in the saff as it was my daily for a long time. sometimes the cortina which was fun.
I remember waiting down the hospital roundabout for my mate in his Type R accord just so i could piss him off.
Old 23-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I never claim to be the best driver on the roads but I bet 98% of the time I use my indicators.

I hate Lane hoggers too. The right Lane is for overtaking only.
Old 23-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I never claim to be the best driver on the roads but I bet 98% of the time I use my indicators.

I hate Lane hoggers too. The right Lane is for overtaking only.
So is the middle lane.
Old 23-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Correct.
Old 24-12-2017, 06:29 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Surprised no-one has mentioned front fogs

If it's not foggy, turn the fucking things off. Cnuts.

And yes, DRL is different...
Old 24-12-2017, 08:52 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
Surprised no-one has mentioned front fogs

If it's not foggy, turn the fucking things off. Cnuts.

And yes, DRL is different...

even worse they come on when turning
Old 24-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by GVK.
If you can't beat 'em, blind 'em!

Yep with these bad boys people ALWAYS dip thier beam

I did try 130W bulbs but I'd need to replace all the loom and run 2 relays due to the current draw

They are great for shifting MLM's and lane hogs too.
Old 24-12-2017, 09:41 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Thats proper old school reminds me of my mini days with 4 cibie oscars

Last edited by costina; 24-12-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 24-12-2017, 10:32 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have still got old school 100w bulbs in mine which are still working well.

Quick Reply: Driving when its nearly dark with no lights!!!