General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

old style driving licence

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 PM
rizla
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default old style driving licence

I have an old style driving licence the paper one and i have never sent it of to change addresss .Is this a nick cause when i send a copy to insurance companys they never say why have you not got a photocard one and why dont you change address
Thanks
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 PM
doga-ot
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If your licence address doesn't match your insurance address or car address if you have an accident you wont be covered also if you get pulled and your licence isnt same as your address it is an offence also they will contact your insurance company and notify them
Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

something like a maximum fine of £2500 for incorrect address on a licence isn't it too?
get it sorted fella.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:30 PM
rizla

Ok ill get it sorted
Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by doga-ot
If your licence address doesn't match your insurance address or car address if you have an accident you wont be covered
not true

Its only a problem where it is a "relevant material fact" with the insurance. As long as your insurance has the correct details on it, then it matters not what your license address or V5 address is.

The fact that you have failed to update your paperwork on your license is not a material fact in insurance so they cannot cancel the policy because of it.

As long as your license is still valid they wont care.

However you are committing an offence of failing to inform DVLA and on conviction you would have to declare that conviction to the insurers which would be a material fact.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM
KregRS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xr2wishy
something like a maximum fine of £2500 for incorrect address on a licence isn't it too?
get it sorted fella.
Driving otherwise in accordance with licence.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by KregRS
Driving otherwise in accordance with licence.
not true for wrong address on license.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 PM
doga-ot
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
not true

Its only a problem where it is a "relevant material fact" with the insurance. As long as your insurance has the correct details on it, then it matters not what your license address or V5 address is.

The fact that you have failed to update your paperwork on your license is not a material fact in insurance so they cannot cancel the policy because of it.

As long as your license is still valid they wont care.

However you are committing an offence of failing to inform DVLA and on conviction you would have to declare that conviction to the insurers which would be a material fact.
My work collegue had ballifs after him so he regestered his car at a different address to his address which his licence was registered to and his insurance he got pulled over by police routine stop one night they checked his details contacted insurance because of discrepency over address's they told him on phone his insurance was now void because he had comitted fraud not having all his docuements under correct address and cancelled his policy onplus side they rein burst him his money in full even though his policy was 3 months old
Old 06-03-2013, 10:22 PM
doga-ot
PassionFord Post Troll

Dvla can revoke your licence for not keeping it updated i know of 2 people personally that this happened too.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

For years my licence was left at my mums address. I have been stopped by the police on numerous occassions and asked about it and when I explained I had a 2nd vehicle also registered at my mums address I have been allowed to get on. Even had a minor bump and had to provide a copy of my licence without bother. And the biggy was when I got done last year I had to surrender my licence and was asked why I hadn't changed it they were fine with it. Seeing as I had to reapply for my licence I figured I may as well change it at the same time
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

My work collegue had ballifs after him so he regestered his car at a different address to his address which his licence was registered to and his insurance he got pulled over by police routine stop one night they checked his details contacted insurance because of discrepency over address's they told him on phone his insurance was now void because he had comitted fraud not having all his docuements under correct address and cancelled his policy onplus side they rein burst him his money in full even though his policy was 3 months old
Its not fraud unless there is specific wording that the V5 must be in the same address and name as the policy holders insured address.

Otherwise its only fraud if you tell the insurance "my car is at x address" and in reality you keep it at "y address" to get a cheaper premium or cover they wouldnt otherwise have issued.

Sounds like the insurers were cunts for other reasons - running from debt collectors etc.
Dvla can revoke your licence for not keeping it updated i know of 2 people personally that this happened too.
They can revoke your license... but only once your license is revoked are you committing a "otherwise than in accordance with license" offence.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:27 PM
rizla

Ive got no points on my licence can they revoke it for not changing address .I got done for no safety belt on the motorway and i never had my licence with me and they asked me if i had a full one and run a check on my name and i said the licence aint in my address .They said it dont matter but get it changed and then give me a 30 quid fine
Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

If it's an address where you couldn't be contacted through I can see how they might get the arse ache
Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 PM
rizla

Right ill go post office and get the forms i need and get it sorted .Ive left it for 14 years where does the time go
Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i've got 2 properties and ALL my cars and post go to one and other stuff goes to the other

and seeing as i can stay at either it's not an issue with anyone as far as i've been told, even the aa homestart