General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ib5 - mtx - getrag - which is best for zt

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Twiddle
South lincs rsoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know what you are say - mondy stuff would be a lot cheaper thanks for that info. And i have all the relevant cv's just really wanted to know if any one knew of a company that could make them who already have the info to hand if not I will cut n shut some so my other option has a template to make some from. I am not going to run cut and shut shafts although I know a number of people have done this with out failures, I just don't want mine to be the one that does.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Twiddle
Yeah I know what you are say - mondy stuff would be a lot cheaper thanks for that info. And i have all the relevant cv's just really wanted to know if any one knew of a company that could make them who already have the info to hand if not I will cut n shut some so my other option has a template to make some from. I am not going to run cut and shut shafts although I know a number of people have done this with out failures, I just don't want mine to be the one that does.
you would only have to measure total length including cv's and trilobes, then send the joints and have them made up. it's that simple really. plus with cups on the shafts are quite long, so have a decent margin for error.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Twiddle
South lincs rsoc

That sounds fair enuff, it was the margin of error i wasn't looking forward to, I had it in my mind they need to be mm perfect.
I have intended on getting the mounting of the engine and box sorted and sat in place temporarily so i can go from there with things, might see if my mate who has a half broken mondeo still has his shafts too then have a play.

Cheers for the help
Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

the cups for the shafts have about 3" inside, so just measure to the middle and then you have an inch of play either side.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Twiddle
South lincs rsoc

Thats even enuff for me

Cheers mate appreciate that.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twiddle
I don't mean to but in but where is everyone getting there custom drive shafts from??

I am fitting the FRS box in my S2 RST but not really looked into the drive shafts until now. I have had a very good price but need to knock up some patterns by cutting and shutting FRS and RST shafts together. I would have to but a cut some FRS shafts just to bin them when the new uns are made, not some thing i really want to do. And as for measuring them up and giving dimension to a firm to work from is a bit of a non starter as i have no real point to measure from as yet.

Any one got any real technical info or know of a firm that makes them with out the need for all this malarkey?

Cheers dudes
Pm crazycage is the man on here for your driveshaft making needs
He made mine and there top quality

You won't go wrong

He will also make your custom mounts if needed