General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Vw crafter DPF issue. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 14-10-2012, 06:26 PM
3drRich
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Vw crafter DPF issue. Help!

Just wondering if anyone on here knows much about DPF filters?

I recently bought a 09 plate crafter which puffs a cloud of white/grey smoke out but only when your on tickover then pull away, if you take it slow its not to bad but if you nail it, it puffs a cloud out then is clear and drives perfect.

I took it to vw and they say everything seems to be ok apart from the dpf is switched off. Now i know when the dpf is turned off the dpf should be removed from the exhaust, i have been under the van and the dpf is still there and never looks like its been opened or gutted out as some put it, so now im thinking that on tickover the smoke forms in the dpf then when you pull away it puffs it out?

Im gonna have the dpf taken out to see what happens but just wondered if any of you guys know anything about these.

CheeRS
Old 14-10-2012, 07:36 PM
JOHNDQ
BANNED
BANNED

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lec Projects
Just wondering if anyone on here knows much about DPF filters?

I recently bought a 09 plate crafter which puffs a cloud of white/grey smoke out but only when your on tickover then pull away, if you take it slow its not to bad but if you nail it, it puffs a cloud out then is clear and drives perfect.

I took it to vw and they say everything seems to be ok apart from the dpf is switched off. Now i know when the dpf is turned off the dpf should be removed from the exhaust, i have been under the van and the dpf is still there and never looks like its been opened or gutted out as some put it, so now im thinking that on tickover the smoke forms in the dpf then when you pull away it puffs it out?

Im gonna have the dpf taken out to see what happens but just wondered if any of you guys know anything about these.

CheeRS
The only thing that should build up in the the DPF is soot mate which is burnt off the it does a regen so shouldnt see any smoke from it
Old 14-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut it open, rip it out, remap the car.....they are shit.
Old 14-10-2012, 08:10 PM
3drRich

I think thats the way forward. Still not sure if it will cure the smoke issue! I wonder if i was to remove the exhaust and see if it smoked then??
Old 14-10-2012, 08:19 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like another issue.

And when you say it's been turned off? A dpf is a physical filter media in the exhaust, you can't turn it off.

Are you sure someone hasn't gutted it out? Although from memory the crafter ones are built in to a long secton of the exhaust sytem and not easily guttable unless cut and re-welded.
Old 14-10-2012, 08:24 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Just re-reading your post..

It looks like someone has gutted the dpf and turned the dpf re-gen and weight warning off in the ecu, especially if vw say it's been turned off. Check carefully round the ends of the dpf for signs of new welding.
Old 14-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the DPF`s been turned off, chances are its been mapped.

white smoke could be diesel from a nackered injector

or dead turbo

endless possibilities

or the ECU is still trying to re-gen the DPF, hence the over fueling on tickover

does it still do it after youve kicked its head in, or only if you havent kicked its head in etc?
Old 15-10-2012, 06:45 PM
3drRich

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Sounds like another issue.

And when you say it's been turned off? A dpf is a physical filter media in the exhaust, you can't turn it off.

Are you sure someone hasn't gutted it out? Although from memory the crafter ones are built in to a long secton of the exhaust sytem and not easily guttable unless cut and re-welded.

Sorry i dont mean turned of like a switch but the report from vw say the dpf settings in the ecu have been disabled!
Old 15-10-2012, 06:50 PM
3drRich

Originally Posted by Cossie Sean
if the DPF`s been turned off, chances are its been mapped.

white smoke could be diesel from a nackered injector

or dead turbo

endless possibilities

or the ECU is still trying to re-gen the DPF, hence the over fueling on tickover

does it still do it after youve kicked its head in, or only if you havent kicked its head in etc?

Looked at the dpf today and its not had any attention as its minging so im now thinking they have switched it off in the ecu but not gutted the dpf?

It only smokes when you first give it a bootfull if its been sat idleing at trasffic lights etc, it never does it when driving even if you nail it and it pulls very well and never smokes at all when moving.

I feel abit like this
Old 15-10-2012, 06:53 PM
3drRich

Originally Posted by Lec Projects
Looked at the dpf today and its not had any attention as its minging so im now thinking they have switched it off in the ecu but not gutted the dpf?

It only smokes when you first give it a bootfull if its been sat idleing at trasffic lights etc, it never does it when driving even if you nail it and it pulls very well and never smokes at all when moving.

I feel abit like this

Forgot to say its not bad when its cold but then gets worse once its warm!
Old 15-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so all the diesel that the ECU pumps into the DPF to re-gen itself is left there untill it gets hot.............. white smoke..........

like a white elephant, or blowing smoke up your arse lol

dont wory about it
Old 16-10-2012, 06:03 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Usually a sign of a blocked DPF although not conclusive proof that it is. If it has been switched of and not removed then I can't see how it can ever be regenerated as the software feature has been removed. In my opinion itcan still block up but now has no way of being regenerated.

Last edited by DazC; 16-10-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 16-10-2012, 06:45 PM
3drRich

Originally Posted by Cossie Sean
so all the diesel that the ECU pumps into the DPF to re-gen itself is left there untill it gets hot.............. white smoke..........

like a white elephant, or blowing smoke up your arse lol

dont wory about it

But would it still pump diesel into the dpf if the dpf function has been removed from the ecu? It still seems to have the sensors etc in the dpf!
Old 17-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Matthewcrf
Virgin

Default Crafter problem

I have the same problem with mine it's an 57 109 crafter, smokes only when warm/hot. But it seems to be more blue than just white! Only happened at a junction or stoping at roundabout, stop then pull away! Bought mine like it . The two pipes coming off the dpf where blocked off and where they go into was linking together! Not sure why? Any help would be great?

You can smell a slight smell off oil burning again only when warm / hot?

Thanks matthew