General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Megasquirt on YB ?

Search this Thread

Old 20-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ian sibbert
We have found that in comparison to a Megasquirt, pound for pound the DTA S60 is very cost effective...

Phil @ Extraefi builds a relly good unit but for ease of learning mapping from scratch I'd go DTA every time...S60 can do COP, MAP, TPS, Launch, ALS, Flatshift and Closed Loop, with an external controller...

DTA also has a fabulous Oscillation function that lets to decode whatever trigger wheel you are using....

T6 is very very good, difficult to configure in someways for a novice....never used a T2...
Recent megasquirt code is really fantastic, the hardware of some units can be a dissapointment though.

MS2 will do COP, MAP, Launch, closed loop idle, closed loop boost control, closed loop lambda correction, auto tune and much more.

It really is a very flexible unit that is damaged more by quick and harsh answeres to questions like these than its ability to control fuel and igntion. High power figures and accurate AFR control and a common sight fo users and tuners. It is genuinely very capable.

I would have no hesitation with using megasquirt, DTA, Omex etc they are all very capable and will do what you want. The only difference being in price and user base.

Rob,
Old 20-08-2012, 12:35 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Omex 600 - good waulity and cheap enough for what you need mate.

Easy to map yourself too
Old 20-08-2012, 01:44 PM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob_DOHC
Recent megasquirt code is really fantastic, the hardware of some units can be a dissapointment though.

MS2 will do COP, MAP, Launch, closed loop idle, closed loop boost control, closed loop lambda correction, auto tune and much more.

It really is a very flexible unit that is damaged more by quick and harsh answeres to questions like these than its ability to control fuel and igntion. High power figures and accurate AFR control and a common sight fo users and tuners. It is genuinely very capable.

I would have no hesitation with using megasquirt, DTA, Omex etc they are all very capable and will do what you want. The only difference being in price and user base.

Rob,
Rob,

Please don't think I was being harsh pal, I was trying to compliment MS and it's capabilities, on the ones I have done which I grant were MS2 some of the features were easier to wire and configure on other ECU's than MS....it's probably been 2 years since I did an MS system...

The MS mapping software is probably as good as it gets user friendliness wise, but on competition cars the MS has been a little susceptible to problems in the extemes of an event....DTA, Emerald and Omex are more rugged IMO....
Old 20-08-2012, 01:48 PM
saph_Al
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GARETH T
I gotta be honest, I really like it that he's keen to learn. And sometimes he only way o learn is just give it a go.
Cheers gareth , once again thanks to everyone for there opinions trust me im learning a lot about a lot of different standalones and PNP options all ive got to do is find what suits me. Steve i know u were sayin thats your not keen on the prospect of having to add hardware or software to a unit to get it to do what another unit will do straight outta the box . I personally like that i can customize the unit as i go and add features as i go . Can i just ask what the problem is with using ballast's to drive high impedience injectors?. You and Gareth both commented on the fact .? Cheers Al
Old 20-08-2012, 04:33 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

two fold again,
1 more parts in a system, means more to go wrong
2 a low impedance injector drive peaks then holds, it wouldnt do this with a high impedance setup
Old 20-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see a need for something lime mega squirt, there is nothing wrong with Webber L8 and a lot right with something like Stus closed loop, ALS, L/C, etc plug in chip. I'm all for learning but not at a potential cost of an engine everytime you get it wrong :-/
Maybe try as Tony said, tweak an exhisting? There is a lot of extra cost in time, looms, building the unit, fuel, time mapping etc. I'd love to learn more about mapping so fair play for asking
Old 20-08-2012, 05:54 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

if he wanted to get his car spot on, then i would say just pay stu/tony/karl to map it for you and enjoy your car, but as he does seem keen to learn, give it a go (get as much information before you start, read some books, understand the terms used before hand)

no guts no glory!
Old 20-08-2012, 07:09 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr C
I don't see a need for something lime mega squirt, there is nothing wrong with Webber L8 and a lot right with something like Stus closed loop, ALS, L/C, etc plug in chip. I'm all for learning but not at a potential cost of an engine everytime you get it wrong :-/
Maybe try as Tony said, tweak an exhisting? There is a lot of extra cost in time, looms, building the unit, fuel, time mapping etc. I'd love to learn more about mapping so fair play for asking
You dont see the need for an ecu that is very flexible and can be tuned by anyone ? Do you pay people to do everything for you ?

The L8 may be capable, but for those extras you have mentioned, how much do they cost ? And as said before, you are tied to the tuners who can work with the original ecu.
That does work for some people, not others.

But as Gareth says, if he is going to go ahead with an aftermarket ecu, definitely get some books, do some proper research on what is involved. Get very familiar with the software and all of it's features. Get familiar with how sensors etc work, what they are there for, why the engine needs them etc

Far far too many idiots decide to fit an aftermarket ecu, then ask totally stupid questions and for people to supply various maps, all because they are too fucking lazy to do some proper research and learn how to work the system themselves.

Those are the people who really should let others do the work and pay them to do it. But if you genuinely want to learn yourself, you have to start somewhere.
Old 20-08-2012, 07:25 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

fuck me, i we are agreeing again LOL
Old 20-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ian sibbert
Rob,

Please don't think I was being harsh pal, I was trying to compliment MS and it's capabilities, on the ones I have done which I grant were MS2 some of the features were easier to wire and configure on other ECU's than MS....it's probably been 2 years since I did an MS system...

The MS mapping software is probably as good as it gets user friendliness wise, but on competition cars the MS has been a little susceptible to problems in the extemes of an event....DTA, Emerald and Omex are more rugged IMO....
Not at all mate, I wasn't really referring to your post at all, yours was just a well reasoned post that I could reply to easily

Don't get me wrong, I have had lots of problems with the normal megasquirt system, probably more than most. The issues always comes down to a poorly built DIY ecu, and it has gained a reputation as being just that... a bit DIY. When you redesign some of the hardware, and have them properly built they are a different story.

At the same time I really can't slate some of the more expensive gear out there, After buying a few and stripping them down I certainly could shame a few big names but that really isn't why I come on the Internet .

Rob,
Old 20-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by GARETH T
two fold again,
1 more parts in a system, means more to go wrong
2 a low impedance injector drive peaks then holds, it wouldnt do this with a high impedance setup
It depends what/who's ecu it is. Peak and hold is one of the better methods. Sadly most people revert to ballast resistors which is really more of a bodge.

High impedance injectors are generally so good these days I would recommend them every time, unless you are going for really HUGE squirter's
Old 20-08-2012, 07:59 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

At the same time I really can't slate some of the more expensive gear out there, After buying a few and stripping them down I certainly could shame a few big names but that really isn't why I come on the Internet .

Rob,
thats just boring, name and show us all to learn.
Old 20-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lol,

Tbh mate it really isn't cool to slate companies on the Internet (sounds like a gay answer I know!). And to be totally honest there was one model we stripped down that was shocking, whilst there more expensive variant was a great bit of kit. They obviously learnt from there mistakes which is great.

Rob,
Old 20-08-2012, 08:09 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

It depends what/who's ecu it is. Peak and hold is one of the better methods. Sadly most people revert to ballast resistors which is really more of a bodge.

High impedance injectors are generally so good these days I would recommend them every time, unless you are going for really HUGE squirter's
Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi and perhaps others all use resistor packs, and some in high performance models. So it can hardly be called a bodge, although I'd have previously thought that myself before I realised how common it was.

But I'd sooner use some modern high impedance injectors anyway and never worry about resistors or anything of the sort.
Huge is relative, the ID2000's could be called huge and they work superbly. Almost too good to be true, but they do work !
Not that many would need that much though. And I suspect how well they will work will also depend on the ecu in use. Ive only ever used them on Motec equipped cars. Although have used the ID1000 with other ecu's as well.
Old 20-08-2012, 08:31 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve what ECU are you currently using youself?
DTA?
Old 20-08-2012, 08:54 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

DTA S80Pro.

Ive always used DTA on my car. First the P8Pro from around 2002 , then when the S80Pro came out I upgraded to it. I think that was about 4 years ago.

I was tempted to change, but to be honest it does pretty much everything I could ever need it to, it does it easily and at a very good price. And the software is very easy to use.

Ive been tempted by a few more modern ecu's, but I just cant justify the cost, time and work it would be to change.
Old 20-08-2012, 09:23 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think thats the same that Martin Fox uses on his BMW. Had a bit of a play with it with him but it was way over my head tbh.

I seem to think its quite funny with ECUs that different circles tend to stick to certain brand favorites.

Ford/Cosworth with Pectel
Mitsubishi with Motec
Subaru with Syvecs
Old 20-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi and perhaps others all use resistor packs, and some in high performance models. So it can hardly be called a bodge, although I'd have previously thought that myself before I realised how common it was.

But I'd sooner use some modern high impedance injectors anyway and never worry about resistors or anything of the sort.
Huge is relative, the ID2000's could be called huge and they work superbly. Almost too good to be true, but they do work !
Not that many would need that much though. And I suspect how well they will work will also depend on the ecu in use. Ive only ever used them on Motec equipped cars. Although have used the ID1000 with other ecu's as well.
Ballast resistors are cheap, peak and hold drivers are less cheap..... but yes ballast resistors are effectively a bodge. Because honda do it doesn't mean its the best way to do it.

Ballast resistors used with a low impedance injectors effectively make the drive transistor a saturated driver. Advantages are:

Its cheap
Heat is dissipated in the resistor rather than in the driver (less case design, and heat considerations to make so again cheaper)

Dissadvantages:
Response is slower
Closing time is slower

Manufacturers may also do it to make injector swapping simpler (change less hardware), some models could use a high impedance injector should supply or price of the low Z injector become difficult. Just unplug the resistor.

Either way, its the less 'proper' way to do it if your not concerned with the same things an OEM is.

Rob

PS, I only mentioned huge injectors because lots of the easily available very large flow rate injectors are low z.

Back in the day low impedance definitely had an advantage over their high z counterparts, modern injector tech has made this less true imo.
Old 20-08-2012, 10:13 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
Think thats the same that Martin Fox uses on his BMW. Had a bit of a play with it with him but it was way over my head tbh.

I seem to think its quite funny with ECUs that different circles tend to stick to certain brand favorites.

Ford/Cosworth with Pectel
Mitsubishi with Motec
Subaru with Syvecs
I'm sure there are plenty of each of those using different brands. Just because some recent units get a lot of hype, doesnt mean they are the be all end all.

Ive used Motec and Syvecs. Both are great units. The Motec is pricey, but the more you use it the more you realise why. It is a very very flexible and versatile system. My biggest gripe with it is the fact all the features are there, but some are software locked until you pay for them. So a fully specced unit is very expensive.

Syvecs is great too, not as versatile as the Motec but then it is cheaper. But it does pretty much anything anyone would ever need, and does some stuff better than the Motec. But on the same note there are a hell of a lot more Subarus using Simtek, now branded as Alcatek. It isnt as fully featured as the Syvecs, but it is much much cheaper. Almost half the price in some cases and more than adequate for 90% of cars.

But then Link/Vipec make great units too, they offer plug n play for Subaru, Mitsi etc. As do GEMS

Just because an ecu doesnt get hyped up on internet forums, doesnt mean they are no good.

But for the money, I still cant convince myself to change from my DTA. Some other units are better for sure. But will they make me go any faster ? Not really.
Everyone doesnt need the biggest, baddest and most expensive ecu out there. They just need what will work best for them, and do everything they need it to
Old 20-08-2012, 10:19 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Ballast resistors are cheap, peak and hold drivers are less cheap..... but yes ballast resistors are effectively a bodge. Because honda do it doesn't mean its the best way to do it.

Ballast resistors used with a low impedance injectors effectively make the drive transistor a saturated driver. Advantages are:

Its cheap
Heat is dissipated in the resistor rather than in the driver (less case design, and heat considerations to make so again cheaper)

Dissadvantages:
Response is slower
Closing time is slower

Manufacturers may also do it to make injector swapping simpler (change less hardware), some models could use a high impedance injector should supply or price of the low Z injector become difficult. Just unplug the resistor.

Either way, its the less 'proper' way to do it if your not concerned with the same things an OEM is.

Rob

PS, I only mentioned huge injectors because lots of the easily available very large flow rate injectors are low z.

Back in the day low impedance definitely had an advantage over their high z counterparts, modern injector tech has made this less true imo.
Honda on some of their Civic Vtec stuff, maybe others
Toyota on their GT4/MR2 Turbo engines
Mitsubishi on their Evo's

Those are just some of the cars Ive seen use resistor packs, there is probably a lot more.

So it's not like the manufacturers are doing this on cheap low end models. They are doing it on their top of the range high performance cars when they could just as easily fit high impedance injectors. It would be less wiring, less parts, cheaper injectors etc. So there must be more to it than you suggest.

The cheap option isnt to fit a resistor pack and use lowZ injectors. The cheap option is to use highZ injectors. But they are choosing not to do that, so it must be for very good reason.
Old 21-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yes, heat. Its better to dissapate heat by the injector than it is in a small enclosure.

Peak and hold is the better solution, with out sounding argumentitive these aren't just my opinons. These are things that I have tested on really expensive test gear. Im sure there are several reasons for OEM's to use resistors, but its not becasue of better injector performance.
Old 21-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The cheap option isnt to fit a resistor pack and use lowZ injectors. The cheap option is to use highZ injectors. But they are choosing not to do that, so it must be for very good reason.
When you factor in other component parts that you haven't suggested then it may well be the cheapest solution.