General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Rolling Roads - Tell us your stories...

Search this Thread

Old 25-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
I have THREE TIMES visited dyno's with NO fan at all.
I'm genuinely shocked by that!

Ah sorry, yeah, no arguments there, if the cooling is adequate and AFR and knock are being accurately monitored then its a pretty safe environment for the engine at least, although the drive train still gets given absolute hell.
I guess the guys that work on my car have just got it right so my experience of dyno's has been a safe car friendly environment! lol.

Last edited by Chopshop85; 25-07-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 25-07-2012, 06:54 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Benni
You'd think though if they was going to claim Ford's power figure was wrong, they'd have used a little better of a set-up.

Benni
perhaps they would have if they understood anything about it at all, but as they're a tv entertainment show and not an engineering consultancy, they know fuck all about it
Old 25-07-2012, 07:00 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Stu, good luck with new side to your business

Perhaps you've seen the pictures of the fan setup that I have posted in the past in the climatic wind tunnel where I used to work testing automotive air conditioning? That was driven by a 150kW motor and only intended to generate enough wind for 70mph tests at only up to 200 bhp loads. That dyno cell did not exchange the air for fresh, but recirculated it through a massive heat exchanger to maintain a temperature anywhere between 10 and 50 deg.C. An old facility by modern standards and no longer up to the demands of OE testing.

Being able to harness the power of the car on test and generate back some electricity would be ideal. I'd get my own nuclear reactor on site first, otherwise electricity is going to be very expensive

BTW, what's the difference between fission and fusion? You might catch something when you go fission
Old 25-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay,
some very short sighted veiws here !! you cant blame a dyno for a tight fisted fuckin idiot that doesnt set the dyno up right or builds the cell properly ! like my post earlier its not always the equipment its mostly the organic dick that operates it ! Ibet there's just as much fucked up live mapped cars if not more than dyno/road tuned cars !!
Jay, I think its you getting a little confused here TBH about what people mean.
When they say "so and so dyno is shit" they are talking about the entire instalation including the fans, the straps, etc. Thats the whole problem, people buy an all singing and dancing set of rollers that if installed correctly would be great, but then they dont do that so they end up next to useless for a big power car.
Old 25-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Benni
You'd think though if they was going to claim Ford's power figure was wrong, they'd have used a little better of a set-up.

Benni
They can claim whatever they want, if ford started arguing against it they would just end up selling less cars, where as it will make no difference to top gear, in fact they would probably like the publicity.

They arent an independant examining body ran for the good of the consumer, they are an entertainment show trying to be funny and dramatic and they clearly have little interest in being accurate.

Every car review they do has to be dramatic in some way.
Old 25-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If you're looking for a Dyno Stu, whilst Ive never used them, Mainline has many interfaces for OBD and aftermarket tuning software to assist with tuning. From what I understand, it is the best dyno out there with regards to tuning and diagnostics due to how it interfaces with various ecu's etc. Nothing else comes close.
Hi Steve,
Been researching them non stop for nearly 4 months now, inc mustand, mainline, DD, Maha and Superflow and have finally settled on and paid for the new 2400bhp AWD, DD Dynotech.
The mainline is indeed good, very good, but a lot of its ECU interfacing software only works with Australian stuff and the new Dynotech works with the same systems.

Also you need to buy quite a lot of hardwired stuff I really don't want as I am building my own computer control system that will port the software around different screens in teh cell and waiting area, video the runs, upload graphs to the server, log OBD functions at the same time as the runs via the Snap On Verdict and even record the runs to DVD for customers to buy if they wish. Thus the new dynotech modular system suits me far far better as I can improve on the functionality myself and control the lot from a wireless keyboard within the car. Of course in the UK its also a recognized and trusted brand, which is important for marketing purposes.

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
Stu have you ever seen Mat's setup at "The Racing Line" in Halifax?
Never seen it in person but I believe its an excellent setup and I know he produces some great work with it.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 25-07-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 25-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
Stu, good luck with new side to your business
Thanks Nick, appreciate it.

Perhaps you've seen the pictures of the fan setup that I have posted in the past in the climatic wind tunnel where I used to work testing automotive air conditioning?
It rings a bell, lets see it again and hear more about it mate.
Old 25-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Chip

The Dynotech are properly good value, most of the functionality of the full on DD systems, at a hell of a lot cheaper cost and the important bits like the retarder are absolutely identical.

For anything but a money no object install they do seem to be the dyno of choice at the moment, although the stuff Mike Gurney is doing looks interesting too.
Old 25-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chip
The Dynotech are properly good value, most of the functionality of the full on DD systems
The important parts to me, are actually a lot better. The OBD2 logging system is hugely faster and can finally log all of the datastream without having to kick the box now and again to get it to work... slowly. Also, I believe the software is quite a lot different to the DS450 now with regards some of the mapping aids and comparison figures.

My favourite feature perhaps is its ability to tell you precisely how far fuel / boost etc is out from target in percentage, allowing you to quickly dial in changes to the map in percentage and the next run be virtually spot on.

The alarms for any logging channel are very useful too, knock for example can now have an alarm assigned to it, or perhaps boost. Also the new OBD2 interface will reliably input the boost and rpm into the dyno which is very useful for us indeed as we do a hell of a lot of diesels which are damn hard to get such signals from.

It all runs incredibly well on a custom built PC, meaning the old hardware limitations of the DS450 are totally removed from it and future upgrades are a lot cheaper. IE: The old engine sensor interface was around Ł2000 for the DS450, for the new Dynotech system it is faster and only Ł800 as it can all now run via USB instead of needing a hardware interface.

The manual load mode is also on a nice simple interface on the screen meaning we can get the ramp rate perfect in seconds for any type of engine install... it was awkward on every other system I looked at.
Old 25-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Turbo Transit
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stu: What sort of timescale are you looking at to have the dyno up and running?
Old 25-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Turbo Transit
Stu: What sort of timescale are you looking at to have the dyno up and running?
10 weeks. Its being built as we speak.
Old 25-07-2012, 10:06 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

exciting news Stu, did you get my PM?
Old 25-07-2012, 10:09 AM
silky16v
Get on That!

Can't wait Stu need to get my MNR Vortx setup properly on omex 600 running a ST170 Duratec on GSXR TB.

Defo be up for being one of your first customers on the new Dyno

Let me know the details if that's ok?
Old 25-07-2012, 10:33 AM
johnny99
Regular Contributor

Been researching them non stop for nearly 4 months now, inc mustand, mainline, DD, Maha and Superflow and have finally settled on and paid for the new 2400bhp AWD, DD Dynotech.
How did it compare against the MAHA, and did you look at dastek

John
Old 25-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Chip

The important parts to me, are actually a lot better. The OBD2 logging system is hugely faster and can finally log all of the datastream without having to kick the box now and again to get it to work... slowly. Also, I believe the software is quite a lot different to the DS450 now with regards some of the mapping aids and comparison figures.

My favourite feature perhaps is its ability to tell you precisely how far fuel / boost etc is out from target in percentage, allowing you to quickly dial in changes to the map in percentage and the next run be virtually spot on.

The alarms for any logging channel are very useful too, knock for example can now have an alarm assigned to it, or perhaps boost. Also the new OBD2 interface will reliably input the boost and rpm into the dyno which is very useful for us indeed as we do a hell of a lot of diesels which are damn hard to get such signals from.

It all runs incredibly well on a custom built PC, meaning the old hardware limitations of the DS450 are totally removed from it and future upgrades are a lot cheaper. IE: The old engine sensor interface was around Ł2000 for the DS450, for the new Dynotech system it is faster and only Ł800 as it can all now run via USB instead of needing a hardware interface.

The manual load mode is also on a nice simple interface on the screen meaning we can get the ramp rate perfect in seconds for any type of engine install... it was awkward on every other system I looked at.

Thats interesting about the ODB stuff being a step forward, not a side of it I had looked into at all as not something I get involved with, but for what you guys do its obviously massively important.

I do pretty accurate percentages too quickly in my head to care if the system does it or not for my personal use, but for anyone who isnt a maths geek that sounds like a massive advantage too.

Last edited by Chip; 25-07-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 25-07-2012, 11:13 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

I think that's what the mainline does.

Via OBD it can reference map, rpm, timing, fuel pw etc etc etc. It can compare these to AFR's and knock from a pull and pretty much automatically tell you the changes that need made via the relevant tuning software.
Not sure how many systems it can interface with, but I know Ecutek was mentioned.

Just another huge step forward from basic logging. Having access to OBD data as well, can be a huge help with diagnosing faults on normal mundane cars too when on rollers.
IMO the more complex cars get, nevermind tuning and power runs, that is an area dyno's could become very important in the future.
Old 25-07-2012, 05:47 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

couple of previous threads:

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...nsumption.html

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...y-wires-2.html

i got the details wrong above, it's been while since i was made redundant from there and it was dismantled and sold to a spanish company

220kW motor

centrifugal blower

nozzle

the heat exchanger was probably 5m wide by 4m high.

that was small compared to the facility i worked in in germany which was build in 2000 (so old by now) that had a huge chiller system that could also go down to -40 deg.C for testing of HVAC systems and it also had full fuel consumption and emissions measuring equipment to do the EC drive cycle stuff.
Old 25-07-2012, 05:57 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where did you used to work Nick?
Old 25-07-2012, 06:08 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

in basingstoke and near frankfurt for the world's biggest automotive air conditioning manufacturer, Sanden
Old 25-07-2012, 06:25 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Looks like a good setup, especially for when it was built!
Old 26-07-2012, 06:27 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

the one above was purpose built in the early 80's and was still capable of testing most OE A/C systems to the manufacturers specs (generally 43 deg. C, 40 % Relative Humidity, 1kW / square metre solar load and 70 mph wind.

As Stu says, it's easy enough to put a fan in front of a vehicle to blow air onto it's radiator, but you need the airflow over the whole vehicle to get anywhere near simulating road conditions and you'll never get that with the piddly blowers that are commonly used in a rolling road 'cell' (i use the term loosely as they're normally just part of a workshop with an open door)
Old 26-07-2012, 06:33 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Yeah most of them definitely can't be classed as cells
Old 26-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

in basingstoke and near frankfurt for the world's biggest automotive air conditioning manufacturer, Sanden
i remember seeing the small climate room and a transit looking like a porkipine with a abiout 4 million sensors on it lol
Old 26-07-2012, 07:53 AM
dai burnsy
Regular Contributor

Ill tell you a honest story about mosleys when i had my first turbo in 1999 i wanted rolling road session so took too moslys car was pretty standard i picked it up it was running 143bhp he said he typed the figures in as he had analogue gauges on way home car was running 2psi of boost and timing retarded too hell but amazing it made 143 bhp i dont think so . I ve set all my cars with det cans fuel ratio gauge live myself after that dave in interpro used too do power runs and any addisional setting and help me with some set ups i had good results after the moslys day i should thank him cos if he had nt set my car up so bad id never of started tuning
Old 26-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by silky16v
Defo be up for being one of your first customers on the new Dyno
Let me know the details if that's ok?
No problem, will be my pleasure Matt.

Originally Posted by johnny99
How did it compare against the MAHA, and did you look at dastek. John
Yeah, looked at them all, plus some stuff most have never heard of. To be honest, they are all quite similar, but the main 2 things that swung me to DD was the new system that allows me to run it from my own PC instead of their hardware, the high power tie down system and the physical size, as they are more compact than most and I am limited for space due to my requirements for a seperate fan room / feed system.

Originally Posted by Chip
Thats interesting about the ODB stuff being a step forward, not a side of it I had looked into at all as not something I get involved with, but for what you guys do its obviously massively important.

I do pretty accurate percentages too quickly in my head to care if the system does it or not for my personal use, but for anyone who isnt a maths geek that sounds like a massive advantage too.
It certainly is, can just look at the fuel graph, hover the mouse over any area of it and get a result such as "=12.5%", dial that into the fuel map then move over to teh next cell and repeat.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Just another huge step forward from basic logging. Having access to OBD data as well, can be a huge help with diagnosing faults on normal mundane cars too when on rollers.
Its the normal "mundane" cars that are hard to fix mate. Even a modern Nissan Juke Diesel has a management system that makes something like an Evo or Bmw M3 look like something from the dark ages. The OBD 2 interface, allied to the Snap On Verdict is going to be invaluable for finding load or speed related problems.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 26-07-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 26-07-2012, 09:04 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

I know all too well about modern cars and problems. They are a total nightmare. That's why I think rolling roads and their software will have to play a big part in diagnostics in the future.
Especially as emissions etc get tighter and tighter. Some diagnostics may have to be done in a controlled environment.
Old 26-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Love that Fan Nick, if only I could afford a facility like that.

As Stu says, it's easy enough to put a fan in front of a vehicle to blow air onto it's radiator, but you need the airflow over the whole vehicle to get anywhere near simulating road conditions and you'll never get that with the piddly blowers that are commonly used in a rolling road 'cell' (i use the term loosely as they're normally just part of a workshop with an open door)
I am purposely keeping my cell size down to maximise airflow through it, but even now I calculate a minimum of 20'000 CFM at 50mph is required to keep temperatures sensible and repeatable, and in an ideal world, 40'000.

The problem is not just the cfm of course, but the ability to move it through obstructions, which means the main fan isnt going to cut it unless its centrifugal as it has a lot of penetration to achieve.

However, I think that a pair of axials either side would deal with cooling of the chassis / tyres / retarders etc pretty well.. well, I hope so, as they are MUCH cheaper. LOL
Old 26-07-2012, 12:06 PM
richard youll
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooooooooooooooo I likey a lot stu!!!! New engine freshen up on my saph soon with turbo change to trusty t4 new map required and drive out bhp figure from you guys would be so much of a benefit when spending the money's on a live map will make grins bigger all round!!!! Cant wait to get it booked in with ya!!
Old 26-07-2012, 06:25 PM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

what about dyno jet with linx?

http://www.dynojet.co.uk/index.php/a.../model-424linx
Old 26-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

on that dyno jet it says axle weight 3000lbs? is that per roller or overall?
Old 26-07-2012, 06:47 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by andrewg
Most of their dyno's are not load based, so cannot hold a static load against the engine. it's dyno pulls only. They also read miles higher than most other dynos, although again that only really matters for people wanting PubHP numbers.

Strapping a car to theirs would also carry more risks due to the large single rollers. More risk of a car coming off them, which with conventional 2 roller per tyre setups is almost impossible.
Less of an issue on a 2wd car probably, but definitely an issue with a 4wd setup.
Old 26-07-2012, 07:01 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Daviet
on that dyno jet it says axle weight 3000lbs? is that per roller or overall?
There is only one roller per axle.
Old 26-07-2012, 08:16 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

stu does this mean that you will now be able to map non road legal track only cars now?
Old 26-07-2012, 09:59 PM
GaryEvo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

great cooling is ace but if you have to charge Ł300 per hour to run and upkeep it it wont work in every day world

id love more fans for rear and a bigger front one but people moan at mapping costs now
Old 26-07-2012, 10:58 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

You can see in the pics where the hydraulic hoses from the hub units link up to the cooling fan etc

http://rototest.com/dynamometer/dyno.php?DN=2

http://rototest.com/dynamometer/dyno...N=18&Visitor=4

Although their setup costs about double the next hub based system.....which costs about double a roller bases system lol

Last edited by stevieturbo; 26-07-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 27-07-2012, 05:29 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by GaryEvo
great cooling is ace but if you have to charge Ł300 per hour to run and upkeep it it wont work in every day world

id love more fans for rear and a bigger front one but people moan at mapping costs now
isn't it a matter of educating the customer as to why they need to spend that much to have a proper job done by someone who understands what it takes to do it properly and safely (the whole point of Stu starting this thread it seems)?
Old 27-07-2012, 09:23 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if front wheel drive cars will lift the front of the car, it would stand to reason you've only got to strap down the front end to keep the suspension from lifting yes?

with rwd car the back end squats so wouldn't it be better to have some blocks to stop them bottoming out?

or would this just lift the rear wheels into the suspension again?

and why, if that was the case, could you not run a rwd car in reverse?

do you HAVE to run them up in a 1:1 gear ratio?

etc?

genuine questions
Old 27-07-2012, 10:53 AM
steveboyslim
PassionFord Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would look at the TAT equipment, does require much more building work to install.

http://www.tat-rd.com/dyno_htm_e/dyno_start.htm

Steve
Old 27-07-2012, 05:05 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by dojj
if front wheel drive cars will lift the front of the car, it would stand to reason you've only got to strap down the front end to keep the suspension from lifting yes?

with rwd car the back end squats so wouldn't it be better to have some blocks to stop them bottoming out?

or would this just lift the rear wheels into the suspension again?

and why, if that was the case, could you not run a rwd car in reverse?

do you HAVE to run them up in a 1:1 gear ratio?

etc?

genuine questions
squatting in a rwd is not a problem - it's shitty fords with their geometry that means you get less contact patch the more that they squat that are a problem, and dipshit operators putting people in the boot and ratcheting them down harder only makes that worse.
Old 27-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Good luck with this Stu, sounds like a brilliant plan!

Moving back to Blackpool so will have to pop by if anyone is having a dyno run so I can be nosey.

Quick Reply: Rolling Roads - Tell us your stories...