General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Hi, New member, just bought my first Car- 1995 MK3 Fiesta Classic Quartz 1.1L

Search this Thread

Old 15-02-2012, 11:11 PM
TobyBrindley#12
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi, New member, just bought my first Car- 1995 MK3 Fiesta Classic Quartz 1.1L

Hi Guys,

I've just bought my first car to drive on the road. She was up for £300 and I got him down to £250. To be honest I was expecting to find something major wrong with it. But so far im VERY happy. I took the car home this afternoon and cleaned it up. The exterior looks pretty decent except one scratch on the driver side which I will fill, sand and paint; and on the passenger side there is a rust spot under the wheel arch.

The other problem is the interior which is very shabby, it needs a new steering wheel ideally, the seats are tacky and the door panels are clinging on. So im going to get a steering wheel from the scrap yard, will get some seat covers and try tidy up the door panels.

I'm going to get the car on axle stands tomorrow and check underneath, the car by the feel of it needs new brakes so i'm going to change those next week also along with a service

Any work that needs doing on this car I will mostly be doing myself. The car is TAX'd and MOT'd until April.

Anyway planning to lower it a little and maybe fit some alloys, I have got some 6x9 speakers for the parcel shelf and a sub for the boot (chavy I know but I love it haha)

Enough of talking anyway I'm Toby, 17 and from Cambridgeshire, this is the car so far...opinions?

16 Feb 2012

Didn't have much time working on the car today as I've been helping my dad fit the new kitchen! (what a bloody job that is!!)

So First of all got the front up on axle stands and whipped the wheels off. I then checked the brakes. The disks are in pretty good nick, but the car is in need of some new pads though. I then Checked underneath the front of the car, couldn't see a single rust spot! After than I cleaned the engine up, changed the spark plugs and air filter. (Picture was before engine was cleaned). When I took the plugs out they were stiff as anything, obviously not changed in a long time, one of them was even broken! (See picture)

I then got the rear up on axle stands, but didn't have time to check the brakes (tomorrows job) but looked underneath, yet again no rust! Also noticed the exhaust was like brand new.

Anyway after that I wired the 6x9's to the head unit (no pictures yet) and that was all I had time for. Will get some more pictures tomorrow, plan for tomorrow is check rear brakes, take interior out and give it a thorough clean and wire the sub in!

Driver side:

Passenger side:

Engine before cleaning:

Broken spark plug:

17th Feb 2012:

What a day! Again didn't have much time to work on the car today but this is what I did get done.

Firstly I stripped all of the seats out the car, which was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be! It only took 10mins to get them out!

Then I thoroughly cleaned the seats and the carpet in the car which took bloody ages!

While the seats were drying I then wired in the amp to the battery, then I refitted the seats. Also took the wheel trims off as they need a little fixing.

Thats all I managed today as I didn't have long. Won't have another update til Sunday or Monday when I will be checking the drums. Anyway heres some pictures:

Seats taken out:

Clean interior:

Seats refitted:

Sub and 6x9s:

Wheel trims taken off:

Toby

Last edited by TobyBrindley#12; 17-02-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 16-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome!!

Your from my neck of the woods kinda!

For the money dont look like a bad car, just dont go round town doing twat laps and your be fine!
Old 16-02-2012, 12:04 AM
TobyBrindley#12

Originally Posted by Eigdoog
Welcome!!

Your from my neck of the woods kinda!

For the money dont look like a bad car, just dont go round town doing twat laps and your be fine!
Hi,

Where abouts in Cambridgeshire are you? and thanks I thought it was a pretty good bargain too and noo im a sensible driver on the roads. Just like loud music and alloys haha
Old 16-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Im from the great town of Littleport

I cant believe a 17 year old sensible driver When i passed like every other 17 year old i thought i was collin mcrae!

Your sig may be a tad to big there fella.
Old 16-02-2012, 12:15 AM
TobyBrindley#12

Originally Posted by Eigdoog
Im from the great town of Littleport

I cant believe a 17 year old sensible driver When i passed like every other 17 year old i thought i was collin mcrae!

Your sig may be a tad to big there fella.
Well i've raced motorbikes for the last 5/6 years so got most of my racing out on track haha. Besides sadly seen a mate die couple of weeks back thinking he can drift on the back roads on the ice

and yeah will change my sig

Last edited by TobyBrindley#12; 16-02-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 16-02-2012, 12:15 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks a good base to start from,my only advice would be to take it for an Mot before you put too much money into it as old fords are notorious for rust/welding.And it's surprising that it may have flown the last Mot but by now been rotten,I could never get that round my head with them!!
Mechanically their as tough as old boots and very reliable,I had many miles of fun in a 1.3 auto of my mothers back in 1995-2000 and never had any bother with it.
Old 16-02-2012, 12:17 AM
TobyBrindley#12

Originally Posted by vaughant
Looks a good base to start from,my only advice would be to take it for an Mot before you put too much money into it as old fords are notorious for rust/welding.And it's surprising that it may have flown the last Mot but by now been rotten,I could never get that round my head with them!!
Mechanically their as tough as old boots and very reliable,I had many miles of fun in a 1.3 auto of my mothers back in 1995-2000 and never had any bother with it.
One step ahead of you on the MOT lol got one booked in for next week. I don't want to drive the car unless its safe.. But thanks for the advice

Toby
Old 16-02-2012, 05:20 AM
bigluke200
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Welcome mate, perfect little first car that
How much was is it to insure if you don't mind me asking?
Old 16-02-2012, 05:55 AM
colarado red

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks tidy for the money.
Old 16-02-2012, 06:08 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As above kudos for being sensible and getting a cheap older car as a first car, most get a turbo/big eninged car then stick it on dads/mums insurance, then they wonder why their still paying a fortune at 25/30 when they finally put the policy in their name

Well I assume it's your own insurance anyway?
Old 16-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Mister G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks straight enough for a first car, i'd try and keep it relatively standard till you get a couple of years no claims behind you. Then can upgrade or if you love the car you will know it and whether you want to spend cash on it. Parts for standard mk3's are change now from a scrappy thankfully
Old 16-02-2012, 08:12 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks pretty tidy mate, what's the plan with it?

You're not too far from me either
Old 16-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome Toby - cracking first car mate, now't wrong with those ! I've had numrous Fiesta's over the years as my daily hacks and you can't go wrong with them.

Keep us posted !
Old 16-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Hi and welcome.

I bought a mk3 fiesta for my wife years ago to learn to drive in.We only had the car 2 weeks and some silly cow drove into it and written it off.

Me and my dad also bought one.It was a billy basic car but it was 110% reilabe.
Old 16-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Mr S1
Welcome Toby - cracking first car mate, now't wrong with those ! I've had numrous Fiesta's over the years as my daily hacks and you can't go wrong with them.
Agree!!
Old 16-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ideal for learning to drive etc, reliable hacks those

Dont get tempted into wasting too much money modifying it though, you'll never see any of it back.

Welcome to the site.
Old 16-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

hello and welcome nice looking fiesta
Old 16-02-2012, 11:38 AM
STEVEST24
ST by Name and by Nature

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice car and love the colour, almost identical to my sister's lol, she's had hers 20+ years, been a great reliable car, nothing fancy so less to go wrong.
Old 16-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TobyBrindley#12
the car by the feel of it needs new brakes so i'm going to change those next week also along with a service
they all feel like that, well all the ones ive had did

new disks, pads, rear shoes and break fluid on my last one, and it still was really poor
Old 16-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Lewis-Durkin
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Hi toby. Im in same postition of you.

Only just joined this forum and its been great! you'll learn alot on here.

ive got the same car as you, mines a 1996 1.1 quartz.

i have a rs splitter and skirts and back bumper on mine. once these where on you can tell its a 1.1! especially with a suttle back box. and there all colour coded. mine was on alloys but 15's kept scrubbing because its been lowered 30mm but they looked nice.

watch the back arches for rust and cover the underneath with under sealer as soon as you can.

I'm looking to sell my rs body kit soon if your interested. putting the xr2i kit on mine!

hope she serves you well ha

Lewis
Old 16-02-2012, 05:02 PM
WongRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Looks a decent buy, i had a mk3 fez as my first motor, a 1.0 popular plus! With pepperpots and a sub! Its a slippery slope, you'll be in debt and own a cossie that doesn;t move in no time!
Old 16-02-2012, 08:36 PM
TobyBrindley#12

Originally Posted by bigluke200
Welcome mate, perfect little first car that
How much was is it to insure if you don't mind me asking?
I'm on provisional at the moment and the cheapest I have found is £850. But when I changed it to full license it went up to £3000 so I need to get better quoted for when I pass!

Originally Posted by BM08
As above kudos for being sensible and getting a cheap older car as a first car, most get a turbo/big eninged car then stick it on dads/mums insurance, then they wonder why their still paying a fortune at 25/30 when they finally put the policy in their name

Well I assume it's your own insurance anyway?
I like to be sensible, mates might not like it; but I don't fancy killing myself just yet! And yes on my own insurance. Going on your parents is going to be illegal soon.

Originally Posted by Mister G
Looks straight enough for a first car, i'd try and keep it relatively standard till you get a couple of years no claims behind you. Then can upgrade or if you love the car you will know it and whether you want to spend cash on it. Parts for standard mk3's are change now from a scrappy thankfully
Thanks yeahh not looking to spend too much on it, save up some money for a better car and build up my no claims.

Originally Posted by CrOwSoN15
Looks pretty tidy mate, what's the plan with it?

You're not too far from me either
Mostly keep it standard to save money but probably: Lower it myself, alloys(if some pop up cheap), sub (fitted today), 6x9's (fitted), change dash LED's to green ones (can't go wrong at 99p posted!) and service it myself next week.

Originally Posted by Fil
they all feel like that, well all the ones ive had did

new disks, pads, rear shoes and break fluid on my last one, and it still was really poor
ahh well we will see im ordering some new pads soon as the disks are mint. Havn't looked at the rear drums yet.

Originally Posted by WongRS
Looks a decent buy, i had a mk3 fez as my first motor, a 1.0 popular plus! With pepperpots and a sub! Its a slippery slope, you'll be in debt and own a cossie that doesn;t move in no time!
haha can't wait to get on the road

UPLOADING PICTURES FROM TODAY IN A MINUTE!

Toby
Old 16-02-2012, 08:44 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Tidy first car mate, good luck with the MOT
Old 16-02-2012, 08:52 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

welcome mate
Old 16-02-2012, 08:57 PM
TobyBrindley#12

RIGHT TODAYS WORK!

Didn't have much time working on the car today as I've been helping my dad fit the new kitchen! (what a bloody job that is!!)

So First of all got the front up on axle stands and whipped the wheels off. I then checked the brakes. The disks are in pretty good nick, but the car is in need of some new pads though. I then Checked underneath the front of the car, couldn't see a single rust spot! After than I cleaned the engine up, changed the spark plugs and air filter. (Picture was before engine was cleaned). When I took the plugs out they were stiff as anything, obviously not changed in a long time, one of them was even broken! (See picture)

I then got the rear up on axle stands, but didn't have time to check the brakes (tomorrows job) but looked underneath, yet again no rust! Also noticed the exhaust was like brand new.

Anyway after that I wired the 6x9's to the head unit (no pictures yet) and that was all I had time for. Will get some more pictures tomorrow, plan for tomorrow is check rear brakes, take interior out and give it a thorough clean and wire the sub in!

Driver side:

Passenger side:

Engine before cleaning:

Broken spark plug:

What dya reckon?

Toby

P.S I'm going to add this into my original post along with all updates from now on so it's easier to keep an eye on the project... **watch this space**
Old 16-02-2012, 09:02 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Hello and welcome, looks like a very tidy little car. Keep us updated.
Old 16-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Silver'Scort

Nice little ripper that for a first motor, refrshing to see a mk3 that hasn't got the arches and 1/4 panel rotted to bits. Got our lass into a right nice 1.3 Sapphire, and as Fil said above seems to be a thing with them that the brakes never feel right keen. They work, and stop you, but just feel a bit spongy/vague on the pedal.

Keep it subtle chief, get some nice wheels on, some RS accesory 14inchers or some such like that, re-paint the valances and colour code the mirrors and handles, and lower it a touch, then make it shiny as possible Big wheels and dead low and it'll chew through wishbones, plus insurance will probably get stroppy!

(Get some copper slip round the plugs and all!)

Last edited by Silver'Scort; 16-02-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 16-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Beach
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!

My first car was a mk1 fez, loved that thing it was an awesome car!! You'll have some fun in that n it dont look to bad either for that money!!

Chris
Old 17-02-2012, 05:04 PM
TobyBrindley#12

17th Feb 2012:

What a day! Again didn't have much time to work on the car today but this is what I did get done.

Firstly I stripped all of the seats out the car, which was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be! It only took 10mins to get them out!

Then I thoroughly cleaned the seats and the carpet in the car which took bloody ages!

While the seats were drying I then wired in the amp to the battery, then I refitted the seats. Also took the wheel trims off as they need a little fixing.

Thats all I managed today as I didn't have long. Won't have another update til Sunday or Monday when I will be checking the drums. Anyway heres some pictures:

Seats taken out:

Clean interior:

Seats refitted:

Sub and 6x9s:

Wheel trims taken off:

Opinions?

Toby
Old 17-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Marcyg
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cracking first car mate Your brakes probably feel a bit odd as the servo is on the other side of the car to the driver and the brakes work through a linkage. My missus Mk4 Escort had the same set up and they felt spongey, could never get them to feel right. Just take it easy and brake a bit earlier
Old 17-02-2012, 08:20 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Good update, tou might actually want to open a thread for it in the resto/project section for it if you are going to be doing much more work
Old 17-02-2012, 09:23 PM
TobyBrindley#12

Originally Posted by gjh
Good update, tou might actually want to open a thread for it in the resto/project section for it if you are going to be doing much more work
yeah good point thanks. Just made another thread: https://passionford.com/forum/restor...ml#post5810209
Old 17-02-2012, 09:39 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to the site toby ,

seems like a cracking first car ... and you seem to have a good attidtue to modifying it .......

know a few lads up this way with fezzies , give us a shout if you get stuck for bits ,

sure a few of the older folk her can chuck some cheap / freebies your way to get your modifying off to a good start !!

all the best

beef
Old 17-02-2012, 09:46 PM
TobyBrindley#12

Originally Posted by -beefy-
welcome to the site toby ,

seems like a cracking first car ... and you seem to have a good attidtue to modifying it .......

know a few lads up this way with fezzies , give us a shout if you get stuck for bits ,

sure a few of the older folk her can chuck some cheap / freebies your way to get your modifying off to a good start !!

all the best

beef
Thanks for the warm welcome I'll let you lot know if I need anything. I need a to buy a new steering wheel but im not sure how to fit it, as my car is the airbag model also if someone has a decent interior cheapish I might buy it as mines pretty knackered lol. Im talking seats and door card

Toby