General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

timing belt failure after 8 days of use

Search this Thread

Old 18-12-2011, 07:42 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Austin101
But I done a belt on a hiace van and a small bolt fell inside the timing belt cover and shredded it
so you did the belt dropped a bolt inside and started it up hoping it would be fine?
Old 18-12-2011, 08:44 PM
bigjohn0
PassionFord Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seen this before................. The cause of the belt to split in two is the middle cover not being fitted proper and when forced into place it bends inwards and rubs on the belt. The only way you will find out the truth is when you take the top cover off and look down to the metal cover in the middle you will notice that its bent inwards. If he has pulled the covers off it then your stuck trying to prove that he was at fault. I have fitted Tbelts for 25 yrs and seen many things like this and TBH its always down to ppl rushing to get a cheap job done that the fitter wants to make money in a hurry so its done in half the time so he didnt notice the cover being bent.

Hope this helps fella
Old 19-12-2011, 07:19 PM
CHUNKYS RS
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got to feel a bit sorry for the fitter aswell tbh if he is a tech by trade then this is just very bad luck,he has prob fitted many cambelts and had no probs just sods law the private job you do goes wrong. i know that dosnt help you looks like something has been rubbing on the back of the belt and caused it to get hot and wear thin then
snap might be worth getting another belt and refitting it you may have got away with it if you are very lucky before you take the head off
Old 21-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Mark_1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I finally got the car moved to the workshop today.
Will take a couple of days before work can begin on the car, ill keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Im not blaming the guy who changed the timing belt for anything, if anyone knows that shit happens its me.
He drove over three hours today just to pick up the car for me, so he is definetly taking his responsibilities.
Old 21-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Austin101
Your talkin sh** now

Originally Posted by James
so you did the belt dropped a bolt inside and started it up hoping it would be fine?
Yep cause I needed the work
Old 01-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Mark_1

just a smal update, several valves we're bent, luckily i got hold of a 90'km complete head for aprox 450£.
They went in with a camera, and quickly saw some valves were bent, so the head was removed.
So to investigate what had cause the belt failure the front needs to be taken off.
Because of the holidays things take some time, but all parts needed to get the car running again is sorted.
Hoping to have it running within a couple of days.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:27 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Very disappointing when this happens,but good to see that your getting it sorted.
Seems as though it was a fitting fault from what's been said but as long as the mechanic is trying to help you can't ask for much more than that.
I fell out with a mate years ago after paying him a ton of money to do a load of work on my mk1 gti golf.
I had it back eventually and the oil pressure alarm started coming on.
I took it straight up to him and asked if he could keep it and test/replace the oil pump.
He told me he'd checked it out and it was fine,pulling 5 bar oil pressure.
Went to pick the missus of the time that night and on my way home gave it a quick toeing and bang,no power,oil light on.
Gutted,he tried rebuilding it on the cheap and it failed again,in the end I did basically what you did and swapped the lot over,but I'd lost interest a bit in it then and at this point my mate washed his hands of it.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Mark_1

Today i picked up my car, the guys have laid down a whole lot of work to get it back running again.

And it seems like one of the runningwheels follwing the timing belt kit has gone bad.
It does not turn around properly so the bearing inside is broken.
Also there is alot of rubber burned on the wheel which points to it beeing stuck and the belt has worn on that wheel.

Name:  66365d70.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  186.0 KB

So it is a failure on a new part, so its gonna be an interresting conversation with the part supplier..
Now this faulty part has costed me around 800£ not taking the extra work into consideration.
Does anyone have any experience in these kind of cases? How does partsuppliers treat these cases?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:37 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will get that part replaced, an labour paid, they will find a way not to pay you the £800,
Old 21-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Mark_1

parts are now sent to the manufacturer of the timingbelt kit.
It is obvious that the roller wheel caused this, but i guess they find a way to not take the blame.
However if they do all my expenses will be paid by the part supplier.
It will take a couple of weeks before the result from the manufacturer comes back, so fingers crossed
Old 21-01-2012, 09:03 PM
LukeDaisley
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

good luck with that mate. It looks too obvious a failure for them to worm there way out.
Old 21-01-2012, 09:24 PM
packman
PassionFord Regular

Sounds like a tensioner fault , its know about but little is said or done about it , ive had one go but not like that , when you get a GATES or Genuine vw kit it has instructions on how to fit and tension it up.

It only applies to some models of TDI engine , its a tensioner fault and i was paid out for it. It happened on a Skoda Tdi with me the rear of the tensioner fell apart exactly as in the picture in the bulletin almost crack for crack.

Good luck.
Old 21-01-2012, 09:58 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

ive only ever fitted one dayco timing belt kit, and the tensoioner collapsed causing the belt to come off, it is the one and only belt failure ive ever had out of the thousands of cambelts ive fitted
i would never use a dayco kit again
Old 22-01-2012, 07:58 AM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Havnt read whole thread,so sorry if im sying what has already been sead,but genuine parts carry a full warranty for parts and labour,there for audi will repair your car free if it is a genuine belt failure

cheeRS stu