General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Zetec turbo on the cheap.

Search this Thread

Old 18-07-2011 | 09:51 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

Originally Posted by luke19790_3
You looking in mirror mo
whatever makes yiou happy dude cant be bothered
Old 18-07-2011 | 10:00 PM
luke19790_3

Same here, those insults don't work on me
Old 18-07-2011 | 10:14 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Devil's advocate a little here, but...

I do believe Mo's car could well be around that power; why wouldn't it be?

Standard head (except valve springs)/cams/rods etc... will all do that. Half decent manifolds, a big turbo, a decent ECU and some boost = 330bhp. The only difference between this and other Zetec turbo engines is proper low comp pistons, but Mo only sometimes mentions that they are skimmed to reduce compression ratio. I'm not saying it might not eventually melt/be unreliable etc... But there's no reason it won't make that power.

Neil's (Fast Ford) car was on standard head (except valve springs)/cams/half decent manifolds and a T3 and made 330bhp? So why can't Mos? And Neil was on a Stage 2+ box just like Mo, and it didn't break...

That's not to say you do come across as a bit of a pleb sometimes Mo, and you give the wrong advice too IMO.
Old 18-07-2011 | 10:17 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

Originally Posted by luke19790_3
Same here, those insults don't work on me
good then dont take it to heart
Old 18-07-2011 | 10:20 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

Originally Posted by XRT_si

Standard head (except valve springs)/cams/rods etc... will all do that. Half decent manifolds, a big turbo, a decent ECU and some boost = 330bhp. The only difference between this and other Zetec turbo engines is proper low comp pistons, but Mo only sometimes mentions that they are skimmed to reduce compression ratio. I'm not saying it might not eventually melt/be unreliable etc... But there's no reason it won't make that power.

Neil's (Fast Ford) car was on standard head (except valve springs)/cams/half decent manifolds and a T3 and made 330bhp? So why can't Mos? And Neil was on a Stage 2+ box just like Mo, and it didn't break...

That's not to say you do come across as a bit of a pleb sometimes Mo, and you give the wrong advice too IMO.
cheers mate for the facts .
Old 19-07-2011 | 07:26 AM
luke19790_3

And some con rods.
Old 19-07-2011 | 09:19 AM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MO RS TURBO
not got anything to prove to you like i said i dont see anypoint to take my car out on track abuse it, rag it ,waste fuel and my time just to show you its quick! yeah stick to your pikey conversions you clown . my car cost less than than most and makes more power so i dont see a problem apart from your hating . your head must be stuck so far up your bum cheeks you cant see anything else in life

Oh Mo mo mo-ped! You really are slower than the 50cc's you're named after.

In answer to your reply....no, you have little to prove to me, but maybe the forum as a whole as you set yourself up, making big claims...then making weak quarter mile predictions which don't tally up and running your mouth like kenny big spuds.

But this- "yeah stick to your pikey conversions you clown . my car cost less than than most and makes more power so i dont see a problem"-

Makes fuck all sense to me??

It's a thread about cheap ZT's, it's why i clicked on it and they interest me....i have a big thing about cheap tuning, if something works, it works. IMO....wtf are you babbling about?

Now, i have never actually critisied the car, have i?? I've not picked you up on power claims, or even the scalps you claimed to have had.

I believe i have posted some support for you in the past too, I know supercars and "big" cars can be "beaten", been doing it myself for years. Doing that is cool.....posting the crap you do, is not.

I have pulled you up on being very attention hungry shall we say, and for posting the same shit picture of your engine and reeling off your spec at any given chance.

And not forgetting the handful of times you have bleated on about leaving, only to return and act exactly the same. If you are gonna come crawling back, at least modify your attitude and think about what you are posting and people will treat you better. Sadly you yourself have made yourself an object of fun, consistantly...not me.

LOL! Head up my arse?? How...?

I love bargain tuning, do it myself whenever possible but have little time for overkeen downs sufferers who somehow have blagged a driving licence. (That's you BTW, mo-ped)
That's quite normal and well grounded, wouldn't you say?? Everyone likes bang for buck, and nobody likes an imposing retard.

I could add a decent amount of info here on Zetecs, from my own experiences, but when i scroll down to see your retarded replies flooding the thread...it makes you not want to get involved in the actual thread topic. I'm sure others are the same

It's pretty simple, it has been spelled out to you before, and again on this thread.
Stop publically wanking yourself off, stop filling threads with bollocks, bickering, posting your spec without being asked for it along with that same one picture of your engine, talking childish shit about building 200mph cars and "races"....try and learn something, even if it it's about cars, maybe just some basic manners and how to conduct yourself.

Do that and you will have an easier ride.

Don't and...well....i'm sure you'll end up leaving....again
Old 19-07-2011 | 09:45 AM
mobb-black
Regular Contributor

Mo, sorry to sound dim but couldn't work it out from the thread. Does your engine run only skimmed pistons for low comp, or does it run skimmed pistons ANd a decomp plate? Very interested in this as I'm parts gather for a cheap ZT now...
Old 19-07-2011 | 09:54 AM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by QplateRST!
I've built my share of pikey zt turbos they can be done very cheap you just have to no what to use

Silver top zetec Ł100
vauxhall c20xe pistons of eBay around Ł30!!!
Piper uprated valve springs Ł120
block boring Ł20 per bore
focus head gasket and bolts Ł50
t3 turbo Ł150
2wd cosworth cooler Ł20
ofab managment Ł150

ect ect

it can be done and will be very fast if setup correct I ran a 12.6 1/4 mile with a very similar spec to this !!
Dean where the pistons you ran 100% XE items? If so what was the rough comp ratio you had with them?
Old 19-07-2011 | 10:14 AM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
Dean where the pistons you ran 100% XE items? If so what was the rough comp ratio you had with them?
From memory the XE pistons give around 8.2:1 and the LET pistons around 7.4:1
Old 19-07-2011 | 11:47 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Originally Posted by MO RS TURBO
you get turned on dont ya every time i comment. go toilet mate theres shit always coming out of your mouth lately.
You said you were leaving once, get the hell off my thread you baboon, I care not for your endless lies, you're not contributing to my question whatsoever.
Old 19-07-2011 | 11:51 AM
luke19790_3

Originally Posted by mobb-black
Mo, sorry to sound dim but couldn't work it out from the thread. Does your engine run only skimmed pistons for low comp, or does it run skimmed pistons ANd a decomp plate? Very interested in this as I'm parts gather for a cheap ZT now...
don't think he knows tbh. one minute is got quaife gears next minute hes doing 140mph in fourth

i'd try ferriday they do a ali de-comp plate only needs one head gasket.
Old 19-07-2011 | 12:01 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Originally Posted by Neil@FastFord
Oh Mo mo mo-ped! You really are slower than the 50cc's you're named after.

In answer to your reply....no, you have little to prove to me, but maybe the forum as a whole as you set yourself up, making big claims...then making weak quarter mile predictions which don't tally up and running your mouth like kenny big spuds.

But this- "yeah stick to your pikey conversions you clown . my car cost less than than most and makes more power so i dont see a problem"-

Makes fuck all sense to me??

It's a thread about cheap ZT's, it's why i clicked on it and they interest me....i have a big thing about cheap tuning, if something works, it works. IMO....wtf are you babbling about?

Now, i have never actually critisied the car, have i?? I've not picked you up on power claims, or even the scalps you claimed to have had.

I believe i have posted some support for you in the past too, I know supercars and "big" cars can be "beaten", been doing it myself for years. Doing that is cool.....posting the crap you do, is not.

I have pulled you up on being very attention hungry shall we say, and for posting the same shit picture of your engine and reeling off your spec at any given chance.

And not forgetting the handful of times you have bleated on about leaving, only to return and act exactly the same. If you are gonna come crawling back, at least modify your attitude and think about what you are posting and people will treat you better. Sadly you yourself have made yourself an object of fun, consistantly...not me.

LOL! Head up my arse?? How...?

I love bargain tuning, do it myself whenever possible but have little time for overkeen downs sufferers who somehow have blagged a driving licence. (That's you BTW, mo-ped)
That's quite normal and well grounded, wouldn't you say?? Everyone likes bang for buck, and nobody likes an imposing retard.

I could add a decent amount of info here on Zetecs, from my own experiences, but when i scroll down to see your retarded replies flooding the thread...it makes you not want to get involved in the actual thread topic. I'm sure others are the same

It's pretty simple, it has been spelled out to you before, and again on this thread.
Stop publically wanking yourself off, stop filling threads with bollocks, bickering, posting your spec without being asked for it along with that same one picture of your engine, talking childish shit about building 200mph cars and "races"....try and learn something, even if it it's about cars, maybe just some basic manners and how to conduct yourself.

Do that and you will have an easier ride.

Don't and...well....i'm sure you'll end up leaving....again
+1
I'd quite like you to share your knowledge on this subject, but like you said, theres not much joy in it when people like MO flood threads with his constant crap.

Ben.
Old 19-07-2011 | 12:43 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

back to topic if i may, deans spec of xe pistons isn't without its merits.
xe pistons have been used for a few years, ian howell himself once used them in his engines.
as with anything, make sure it's setup right, and treat it like it's been built.
spend the money, reap the rewards of revs, power and reliability.
do it on the cheap and only push it as hard as its weakest link.
Old 19-07-2011 | 03:36 PM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by xr2wishy
back to topic if i may, deans spec of xe pistons isn't without its merits.
xe pistons have been used for a few years, ian howell himself once used them in his engines.
as with anything, make sure it's setup right, and treat it like it's been built.
spend the money, reap the rewards of revs, power and reliability.
do it on the cheap and only push it as hard as its weakest link.

Seems fair to me

depends on use, budget and Bhp needs.

On my ZT in my FRST for example. I started with a lightened and balanced bottom end, built at S.R.M.C with pistons, rods, rod bolts. Nothing amazing, but not pikey either. Built to work.

The basis was- Build a strong and reliable bottom end, and then (if needed) up the spec later. I then had it running on a cheap XS power manifold, stock head, cams, valve springs. I beasted it everywhere on sensible boost for 270bhp and it made 326bhp and 324bhp on other rollers at higher boost.

Was great. It has changed in spec since, but the power gains etc are moderate.

The budget thing is tricky though, because me personally, i see engines as a desposable/service item if they only cost around Ł200..

..i excercise this on my Mk1....everything else around the engine costs money, but the engine itself is a stock item....last one, i tried to break every time i drove it as an experiement, it took well in excess of 14,000 miles of this before it started to breathe just a touch heavy, still worked fine, but i changed the engine cause it was cheap and out of politeness ....Now, the value for money affects things here, because i could spend big money on an engine with huge spec and stuff which makes my internet cock look massive, but no way on earth will even the very best engine take what i dish out for well in excess of 100k and it would at least have to do that for it to work out at the same value of the "cheap" way.

I was very keen on doing a super pikey spec engine for my blacktop in the Focus, but too many things going on to warrant it.
Old 19-07-2011 | 04:02 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp
Advanced PassionFord User

i think the main item that should be built using good componets is the bottom end , Ł650 on pistons is not that expensive really if you want a reliable engine .
arp bolts in rods
standard head with single uprated valve springs
rs 1800 high output inlet
erst exhaust manifold
injectors
uprated fuel reg
t34 turbo
frst management
live mapping

i had this on my first conversion and got a genuine 285/300bhp

hope that helps

cheers paul
Old 19-07-2011 | 04:59 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by creator
are you out on track at ford fair gary?
yes mate got two sessions booked, will also have a go at the 0-60 for a 3rd year lol.
Old 19-07-2011 | 05:09 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

So how much would we say a zetec (2.0 blacktop) turbo costs to build, using the standard rods? Would changing the ecu be the only real option or is there a suitable chip conversion? I'd love to build one one day.
Old 19-07-2011 | 06:45 PM
luke19790_3

you could use a de-comp plate think is Ł100, then a adapter for the inlet and exhaust at 100 each. you can run it on a fiesta turbo ecu/inlet. But i'd pay the extra and get MS. Need the breather and oil drain sorted and the flywheel holes drilled out.
or use the focus 1.6 flywheel wheel is 220mm
Old 19-07-2011 | 06:54 PM
creator

Originally Posted by crazycage
yes mate got two sessions booked, will also have a go at the 0-60 for a 3rd year lol.
Nice one mate will be good to see your car on track as i never made it to donnington,
Are you taking a set of slicks again for the 0-60?lets see what you can get your times down to this year
Old 19-07-2011 | 06:58 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by creator
Nice one mate will be good to see your car on track as i never made it to donnington,
Are you taking a set of slicks again for the 0-60?lets see what you can get your times down to this year
no just my 888s the slicks i have are way to big ,would like to see a sub 5 from it.
Old 19-07-2011 | 07:12 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Just wanted to add that the frs log manifolds are getting easyer to get hold of now and alot better to use over the erst mani get the little gt25 blowing a bar and it's a right giggle, pushed mine to 300/300
So responsive, loved it, I love these engines
Old 19-07-2011 | 07:47 PM
creator

Originally Posted by crazycage
no just my 888s the slicks i have are way to big ,would like to see a sub 5 from it.
Fairynuff mate,the cars defo got a sub 5 in it its just getting tht 100% perfect launch.is it at the same place as last year?
Old 19-07-2011 | 08:10 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Originally Posted by gjh
So how much would we say a zetec (2.0 blacktop) turbo costs to build, using the standard rods? Would changing the ecu be the only real option or is there a suitable chip conversion? I'd love to build one one day.
i would say Ł5000 to Ł6000 for the whole conversion , for a fresh engine bottom end build with standard rods but forged pistons , new bearings , water pump , oil pump , gaskets etc your looking at around Ł1200

cheers paul
Old 19-07-2011 | 09:39 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Originally Posted by Neil@FastFord
Seems fair to me

depends on use, budget and Bhp needs.

On my ZT in my FRST for example. I started with a lightened and balanced bottom end, built at S.R.M.C with pistons, rods, rod bolts. Nothing amazing, but not pikey either. Built to work.

The basis was- Build a strong and reliable bottom end, and then (if needed) up the spec later. I then had it running on a cheap XS power manifold, stock head, cams, valve springs. I beasted it everywhere on sensible boost for 270bhp and it made 326bhp and 324bhp on other rollers at higher boost.

Was great. It has changed in spec since, but the power gains etc are moderate.

The budget thing is tricky though, because me personally, i see engines as a desposable/service item if they only cost around Ł200..

..i excercise this on my Mk1....everything else around the engine costs money, but the engine itself is a stock item....last one, i tried to break every time i drove it as an experiement, it took well in excess of 14,000 miles of this before it started to breathe just a touch heavy, still worked fine, but i changed the engine cause it was cheap and out of politeness ....Now, the value for money affects things here, because i could spend big money on an engine with huge spec and stuff which makes my internet cock look massive, but no way on earth will even the very best engine take what i dish out for well in excess of 100k and it would at least have to do that for it to work out at the same value of the "cheap" way.

I was very keen on doing a super pikey spec engine for my blacktop in the Focus, but too many things going on to warrant it.
This is what I'm talking about, what was the spec in the mk1 mate? I could put up with chucking a new engine in every 14k

Ben.
Old 19-07-2011 | 10:08 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The Mk1 runs a Powerworks supercharger kit mate.
Old 20-07-2011 | 09:00 AM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The "meat" of the Mk1 is a Powerworks kit, Omex600, Pro Alloy cooling and a custom exhaust manifold. First engine was lifted out of a mondeo with 57,000miles. I abused it sooooo hard, trying to break the engine and the gearbox to see what they took.

Engine Ł200. IB5 Ł125. The two main areas of "risk" in the car are cheap as chips and disposable, so i have much much more fun as i don't have to worry about smashing an expensive gearbox or wrecking a bottom end

After all those miles, launches, relentless bouncing off the 7k rev limit, hooliganism etc it started to breathe a bit heavy and would crunch going from 3rd to 4th if flat out and changing fast....seemed good value to me.

We pulled it out and all seemed mint, couldnt understand the slightly heavy breathing, but it wasn't worth any stress, just change it.

Now another cheap engine is in, bar ARP bolts and a Tran-X plated diff. Seems great, but if it breaks tomorrow, its no hardship....the car has had tons of money chucked at it, but as for building a snazzy bottom end, cams, headwork or whatever...in this application, is utterly pointless other than boasting. No gains. No interest in chasing figures which would probably make it slower other than when in 5th and making the car unreliable, undrivable and running hotter temps.

The turbo was built for track. So i went for a proper built bottom end. Started on stock head, cams etc....Now run the same bottom end, but changed for Cat Cams and valve springs, gained some torque and a few bhp running the same boost as before. Highest it ran was 343bhp, but that's only on 1.1 bar

My main thing is not spending money when you don't have too....so many projects never make the road or get broken because owners get wrapped up in spec and wanting other people to approve.

Fuck that! Get a car built, running, find out what's right and wrong with the car and then upgrade as you go.
It means the difference between having a car in the garage for 5 years looking awesome but needing money, or being out on the road or track enjoying it

Last edited by Neil@FastFord; 20-07-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 20-07-2011 | 09:29 AM
QplateRST!
1/4 mile beasty!!!!

My first outing in my fiesta at pod I ran a 13.1 @ 110mph with this spec

standard head cams and stock valve springs
z20let vauxhall pistons standard rods and rod bolts 7:4:1 comp ratio
15 psi t3 turbo escort rs manifold
biege fiat coupe injectors at 3 bar fuel pressure
2wd cosworth intercooler

2nd outing at pod a ran a 12.6@118mph and changed,

piper valve springs
area six exhaust cam
changed the back box to 3 inch bore
t34 front housing cosworth 48 rear and downpipe
4x4 cosworth cooler
ran 24psi
fuel pressure to 3.5 bar and checked afr!!

3rd outing ran a 12.4 @121 changed,

manifold to a modified 200sx with a 38 mm externall wastegate!
Changed exhaust housing to.55
And polly bushed the full car!
Ran 24 psi
Checked afr!!

4th outing ran a 12.1@119 changed,

Suspension to avo coilovers fitted rear anti roll bar and spring asisters
ran 26 psi a 4 bar fuel pressure
Old 20-07-2011 | 09:45 AM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

^ it works...you use it....and it doesn't cost a total bomb.

Perfect!
Old 20-07-2011 | 01:58 PM
Dennis_Wiseman
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by QplateRST!
My first outing in my fiesta at pod I ran a 13.1 @ 110mph with this spec

standard head cams and stock valve springs
z20let vauxhall pistons standard rods and rod bolts 7:4:1 comp ratio
15 psi t3 turbo escort rs manifold
biege fiat coupe injectors at 3 bar fuel pressure
2wd cosworth intercooler

2nd outing at pod a ran a 12.6@118mph and changed,

piper valve springs
area six exhaust cam
changed the back box to 3 inch bore
t34 front housing cosworth 48 rear and downpipe
4x4 cosworth cooler
ran 24psi
fuel pressure to 3.5 bar and checked afr!!

3rd outing ran a 12.4 @121 changed,

manifold to a modified 200sx with a 38 mm externall wastegate!
Changed exhaust housing to.55
And polly bushed the full car!
Ran 24 psi
Checked afr!!

4th outing ran a 12.1@119 changed,

Suspension to avo coilovers fitted rear anti roll bar and spring asisters
ran 26 psi a 4 bar fuel pressure

Are you going to be changing to a fully forged bottom end mate?

Hope you don't. What makes your motor a legend is the spec. It just laughs in the face of expensive builds and comes up with the goods on the strip
Old 20-07-2011 | 02:05 PM
Dennis_Wiseman
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp
i think the main item that should be built using good componets is the bottom end , Ł650 on pistons is not that expensive really if you want a reliable engine .
arp bolts in rods
standard head with single uprated valve springs
rs 1800 high output inlet
erst exhaust manifold
injectors
uprated fuel reg
t34 turbo
frst management
live mapping

i had this on my first conversion and got a genuine 285/300bhp

hope that helps

cheers paul

Bar the rst exhaust manifold this is the same spec i'm currently building.

What gearbox were you running with this spec ?
Old 20-07-2011 | 02:23 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Soon to have a dry sump kit sorted for the zetec that actually bolts on out the box!

Will make it more affordable than the current way of doing it.
Old 20-07-2011 | 02:49 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Luca
Soon to have a dry sump kit sorted for the zetec that actually bolts on out the box!

Will make it more affordable than the current way of doing it.
Yours is a prime example of a good budget build Luca.

Just look what you can do with a 1600 Zetec and a de-comp plate...

Old 20-07-2011 | 02:52 PM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hahaha! Mint!

Good news if the price is coming down though.

My budget way of thinking means it has to be cheap for it to be worth while for me. I have yet to see surge issues on mine and for the money it costs, i could have two good bottom ends.
Old 20-07-2011 | 03:02 PM
Maxwell
Irregular Poster

Qplate: what power where you running with the standard zetec, beiges fiesta ofab efi and an escort T3???
Old 20-07-2011 | 03:08 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by gjh
I've looked through my back issues of performance ford where they built a zetec turbo (2.0 blacktop) engine for a ka. The spec the had was wossner pistons, arp head stud and nut kit (optional), arp conrod bolts (essential), a +0.5mm overbore, new standard head gasket, arp venier bolts (optional), piper valve springs (essential) a mk1 focus rs turbo and inlet. It ran on gotech managment. Hope this is useful to you in some way, the issues were June 2007 onwards (6 issues) if you want to try getting hold of them.

Got some wrong info there I'm affraid It was a focus RS exhaust manifold and turbo, 1.8 sump and pick up pipe, rs1800 inlet (I believe, it said 130ps 1800, so I'm guessing it was one of them), had a moongoose focus RS downpipe that was "modified" (hit with hammer) to clear the sump, it also had 460cc cosworth injectors, arp main stud nuts and cam pulley bolts. It said that it cost around Ł2k to do the conversion and produced 230odd bhp at around 280 lb/ft of torque.
Old 20-07-2011 | 03:17 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Here's a question for you all, do you think it would be possible to do a ZT for a grand?

Ben.
Old 20-07-2011 | 03:17 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Yours is a prime example of a good budget build Luca.

Just look what you can do with a 1600 Zetec and a de-comp plate...

BOOK CLUB must be quiet today !
Old 20-07-2011 | 03:22 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by CrOwSoN15
Here's a question for you all, do you think it would be possible to do a ZT for a grand?

Ben.

I'd say a grand is maybe pushing it, maybe though, depends how much power are you after and how reliable do you want it to be, I mean maybe you could just fit some valve springs from piper/area six, some rod bolts, second hand turbo and manifold off a focus rs or rs turbo, etc etc. I'd be interested to see though.
Old 20-07-2011 | 03:31 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

I thought that might be stretching boundaries lol, what sort of power do you reckon that would make? To be honest I'd be happy with around 220bhp - 240bhp.

Ben.

Quick Reply: Zetec turbo on the cheap.