General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Zetec turbo on the cheap.

Search this Thread

Old 17-07-2011 | 10:13 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Originally Posted by MO RS TURBO
mine made EXACTLY 298BHP @WHEELS . PLUS 35BHP FOR FLYWHEEL [THE OP WROTE IT ON GRAPH BUT I JUST SAY 330 AT FLY AND 300 AT WHEELS nobody asks me for exact figure so i just say a rounded figure.
Regardless of that, it still seems like they've used an incorrect percentage to calculate your transmission losses.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 17-07-2011 | 10:33 PM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

Another good thread going to shit with mo and his usual bollocks.

I'm interested in genuine answers about things like how much boost could be run on the standard management, would swapping for larger injectors help, would it be possible to run a 5th injector on a boost sensitive switch?

I understand the mechanicals behind it all, I'm able to do it but I'm a total novice when it comes to the electrics and fueling to go with forced induction.

Gavin.
Old 17-07-2011 | 10:36 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Regardless of that, it still seems like they've used an incorrect percentage to calculate your transmission losses.

Cheers,
Grant
the car was measured on the hubs power wise . thats what he wrote. and on another dyno the car made 324bhp ... at another place before though it made 328bhp. so its DEFINATELY over 300bhp anyway. dont care if anybody has doubts anyway its fast enough regardless
Old 17-07-2011 | 10:37 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

Originally Posted by Derby_Gav
Another good thread going to shit with mo and his usual bollocks.

I'm interested in genuine answers about things like how much boost could be run on the standard management, would swapping for larger injectors help, would it be possible to run a 5th injector on a boost sensitive switch?

I understand the mechanicals behind it all, I'm able to do it but I'm a total novice when it comes to the electrics and fueling to go with forced induction.

Gavin.
lol. ill leave you all to itnow
Old 17-07-2011 | 10:39 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

standard management will be useless really and switcheable fifth injector would also be crap really too.
defo ofab minimum IMO.
decomp plate should be fine for around a BAR of boost.
i wouldn't advise skimmed pistons, not much of a crown on a standard 2.0 piston, certainly not on a blacktop engine anyways.
definitely needs rover turbo injectors minimum to get fuel from rail into cylinders.
Old 17-07-2011 | 11:23 PM
Dennis_Wiseman
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Out of interest, what gearbox are you running MO RS ?
Old 17-07-2011 | 11:27 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Originally Posted by Dennis_Wiseman
standard
Old 17-07-2011 | 11:28 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

I've always wondered though, would a de-comp plate have an affect on the cam belt, or is it not thick enough to make such an impact? I've never actually seen one..
Old 17-07-2011 | 11:36 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Originally Posted by CrOwSoN15
I've always wondered though, would a de-comp plate have an affect on the cam belt, or is it not thick enough to make such an impact? I've never actually seen one..
zetecs have free spinning cam pullies ie no woodruf keys so when timing the engines up if the belt length differs (throught a decomp plate or having the head skimmed ect ect) this will not affect the timing
Old 18-07-2011 | 03:16 AM
jonny s2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ive heard of 250hp run through standard zetec bottom ends with de-comp plates

suppose its on how the engine's built, you could use forged parts and the engine could let go,

but as the saying goes, do it once do it rite
Old 18-07-2011 | 11:38 AM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

mate the car has skimmed pistons and what looks like a plate in it. but im sure it has a focus rs headgasket.. im no engine builder dude the engine is not a forged block i aint no liar yes its sad that it aint forged and that i should have forged it.. but this is how i got it and its been reliable enough for me and hasnt EVER given me a problem engine wise.i drive it like its stolen all the time and its been perfect. people i know have copied exacty my set up and its proved to be good and they do trackdays etc.. 4 years now and never a problem. . people are scared for nothing i seen em at 360bhp and surviving mines makes 298bhp at the wheels at 16psi on my T4 TURBO and runs like this perfect. when i put the foot down all HELL BREAKS LOOSE! the thing is a weapon.
at the end of the day i see people spending thousands and thousands on a zetec turbo engine but it ends up being slow because they dont spend the money where they need to they sepdn money on the engine but then it still fucks up. i spent the cash on the managament,injectors,head gasket,breather,pipes,t4 turbo,gearbox mapping etc thats what makes the car quicker the way its set up and specced its up to the owner how far to push it .... i didnt spend stupid amount of cash on the engine just incase something went wrong and it blew up! atlease if my engine did blow up the money i spent on parts will still be ok and be good for the engine i get built next

Totally relaible and no issues....yet when asked to prove your times, you claimed to have tons of issues and couldnt run the car for fear of breaking it.

Apart from talk yet more total shite about your car, you have added nothing to this potentially good thread...other than drag it down with bollocks.

Drainer!

Back on topic- I'm a massive fan of using stock engines or pikey conversions. ZT could be done real cheap IMO and could last.....case in point would be my supercharged Zetec, takes all the shit in the world and only run ARP rod bolts. Whammy!
Old 18-07-2011 | 11:48 AM
macdoodle

how good are silver top's as this is what im useing in my build..
as long as you don't drive it like you stole it how long could they last..
Old 18-07-2011 | 12:03 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

strong engines are the zetecs, blacktops have better flowing heads and silvertops have better main caps as standard.
blacktops have a better rod ratio, silvertops have a better cam belt tensioner setup.

swings and slides fella.
Old 18-07-2011 | 12:14 PM
macdoodle

Originally Posted by xr2wishy
strong engines are the zetecs, blacktops have better flowing heads and silvertops have better main caps as standard.
blacktops have a better rod ratio, silvertops have a better cam belt tensioner setup.

swings and slides fella.
Cheer's mate
Im just shiting it as i have spent a lot of money on my S2 build And the one thing i could not aford to do was upgrade the piston's and rod's But i have spent alot on other bit's like 2x multi layerd head gaskets decomp plate OMEX 600 ecu arp con rod bolt's custom inlet manifold zetec turbo exhaust manifold focus rs fuel rail and injectors pro ally front mount intercooler pace ally rad cosworth turbo upgraded clutch i just need a better fuel pump.. I wish i could get better piston's and rod's And a MTX gear boxbut im getting a bit skint
Old 18-07-2011 | 12:26 PM
QplateRST!
1/4 mile beasty!!!!

I've built my share of pikey zt turbos they can be done very cheap you just have to no what to use

Silver top zetec Ł100
vauxhall c20xe pistons of eBay around Ł30!!!
Piper uprated valve springs Ł120
block boring Ł20 per bore
focus head gasket and bolts Ł50
t3 turbo Ł150
2wd cosworth cooler Ł20
ofab managment Ł150

ect ect

it can be done and will be very fast if setup correct I ran a 12.6 1/4 mile with a very similar spec to this !!
Old 18-07-2011 | 12:35 PM
Dennis_Wiseman

Originally Posted by macdoodle
Cheer's mate
Im just shiting it as i have spent a lot of money on my S2 build And the one thing i could not aford to do was upgrade the piston's and rod's But i have spent alot on other bit's like 2x multi layerd head gaskets decomp plate OMEX 600 ecu arp con rod bolt's custom inlet manifold zetec turbo exhaust manifold focus rs fuel rail and injectors pro ally front mount intercooler pace ally rad cosworth turbo upgraded clutch i just need a better fuel pump.. I wish i could get better piston's and rod's And a MTX gear boxbut im getting a bit skint

Does look a bit like youve sent the wedge in the wrong area's mate

No need for a fancy inlet unless your wanting over 300+ and Omex isnt cheap. You could have used OFAB and a HO inlet and forged the bottom end and done all the fancy bolt ons at a later date when funds aloud
Old 18-07-2011 | 12:44 PM
macdoodle

Does look a bit like youve sent the wedge in the wrong area's mate

No need for a fancy inlet unless your wanting over 300+ and Omex isnt cheap. You could have used OFAB and a HO inlet and forged the bottom end and done all the fancy bolt ons at a later date when funds aloud
That's why i said to my mate who's doing one do your reserch first as i didnt which has been a big mistake I have spent bloody load's on mine and if i knew what i do now i would have done it differant
Old 18-07-2011 | 12:52 PM
Dennis_Wiseman

That's why i said to my mate who's doing one do your reserch first as i didnt which has been a big mistake I have spent bloody load's on mine and if i knew what i do now i would have done it differant
I wouldn't worry too much mate. You could always build a spare engine up as funds allow and just take it easy with the boost in the mean time or flog the expensive stuff off.
Old 18-07-2011 | 12:58 PM
macdoodle

I wouldn't worry too much mate. You could always build a spare engine up as funds allow and just take it easy with the boost in the mean time or flog the expensive stuff off.
I will only be runnig 1bar of boost and i wont be driving it like i stole it either and then i will save up for a better spec engine and gear box as that will be the only thing's left as i have changed every thing else on the car i.e brakes bush's suspension
Old 18-07-2011 | 03:22 PM
luke19790_3

the car was measured on the hubs power wise . thats what he wrote. and on another dyno the car made 324bhp ... at another place before though it made 328bhp. so its DEFINATELY over 300bhp anyway. dont care if anybody has doubts anyway its fast enough regardless
a true 300bhp would kill a bc/ib5 gearbox
Old 18-07-2011 | 03:27 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Originally Posted by QplateRST!
I've built my share of pikey zt turbos they can be done very cheap you just have to no what to use

Silver top zetec Ł100
vauxhall c20xe pistons of eBay around Ł30!!!
Piper uprated valve springs Ł120
block boring Ł20 per bore
focus head gasket and bolts Ł50
t3 turbo Ł150
2wd cosworth cooler Ł20
ofab managment Ł150

ect ect

it can be done and will be very fast if setup correct I ran a 12.6 1/4 mile with a very similar spec to this !!
Top lad, this is the sort of thing Im after!
The main thing I was worrying about was the pistons melting in a short space of time, what do the vauxhal pistons need doing to them to fit?
Old 18-07-2011 | 06:00 PM
Dennis_Wiseman

Originally Posted by CrOwSoN15
Top lad, this is the sort of thing Im after!
The main thing I was worrying about was the pistons melting in a short space of time, what do the vauxhal pistons need doing to them to fit?
Re-bore, new rings and rod ends opened out to fit XE gurgeon

Pikey route isnt cheap, its just cheaper and with added limitations

Last edited by Dennis_Wiseman; 18-07-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 18-07-2011 | 07:11 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so is MO going to ford fair ?
out on track ??
0-60 sprints he should win the fwd class... he has said on here his car has NO WHEEL SPIN!!!
Old 18-07-2011 | 08:21 PM
creator
Advanced PassionFord User

are you out on track at ford fair gary?
Old 18-07-2011 | 08:53 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

ib5 gearbox,shot peened gears with a quaiffe atb diff
Old 18-07-2011 | 08:56 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

Originally Posted by luke19790_3
a true 300bhp would kill a bc/ib5 gearbox
you must be dumb take your head out of your arse mate its how you drive it, how you abuse it,, my car HAS killed bc gearboxes and hasnt killed my ib5 box yet however its going to let go soon im just expecting it. bear in mind the car gets driven like its stolen. im easy on launches though like off the lights etc i just dont like it
Old 18-07-2011 | 08:59 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

I will only be runnig 1bar of boost and i wont be driving it like i stole it either and then i will save up for a better spec engine and gear box as that will be the only thing's left as i have changed every thing else on the car i.e brakes bush's suspension
i ran 15psi boost on my old set up which was on a t3 turbo smaller injectors and about 250bhp [ approx] and the car was fine for years and years and the previous owners gave it death for a few years aswell was PERFECT only leaked oil a bit but i had that sorted and upped the power ..your worrying for fuck all dude
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:00 PM
luke19790_3

you must be dumb take your head out of your arse mate its how you drive it, how you abuse it,, my car HAS killed bc gearboxes and hasnt killed my ib5 box yet however its going to let go soon im just expecting it. bear in mind the car gets driven like its stolen. im easy on launches though like off the lights etc i just dont like it

yes mo it's how you drive it , in your words "bear in mind the car gets driven like its stolen"

so with a true 300bhp that gearbox would be f**ked

also what happened to the quaife gears did you lose them
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:05 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

Originally Posted by Neil@FastFord
Totally relaible and no issues....yet when asked to prove your times, you claimed to have tons of issues and couldnt run the car for fear of breaking it.

Apart from talk yet more total shite about your car, you have added nothing to this potentially good thread...other than drag it down with bollocks.

Drainer!

Back on topic- I'm a massive fan of using stock engines or pikey conversions. ZT could be done real cheap IMO and could last.....case in point would be my supercharged Zetec, takes all the shit in the world and only run ARP rod bolts. Whammy!
not got anything to prove to you like i said i dont see anypoint to take my car out on track abuse it, rag it ,waste fuel and my time just to show you its quick! yeah stick to your pikey conversions you clown . my car cost less than than most and makes more power so i dont see a problem apart from your hating . your head must be stuck so far up your bum cheeks you cant see anything else in life
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:08 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

yes mo it's how you drive it , in your words "bear in mind the car gets driven like its stolen"

so with a true 300bhp that gearbox would be f**ked

also what happened to the quaife gears did you lose them
i aint going to tell you every last detail of my gearbox i was asked what box not every detail and whats in it! yes a ib5 box wont last long but its lasted so far being a good gearbox witht the right gears and diff so no i aint going to spend thousands on a gearbox just yet untill this pops! replace something when it breaks dude. you need to replace that thick brain with a german shepheards brain ther quite clever dogs
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:11 PM
luke19790_3

i aint going to tell you every last detail of my gearbox i was asked what box not every detail and whats in it! yes a ib5 box wont last long but its lasted so far being a good gearbox witht the right gears and diff so no i aint going to spend thousands on a gearbox just yet untill this pops! replace something when it breaks dude. you need to replace that thick brain with a german shepheards brain ther quite clever dogs
so you have quaife gears now...
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:15 PM
creator
Advanced PassionFord User

I cant wait for neils reply its going to be epic, mo your about to get owned
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:18 PM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

Mo why do you continue to wank yourself stupid over your 20 year old ford when you have a evo?

Or was that just bullshit the same as your etch a sketch 328bhp?

It seems that nobody really doubts that your budget zetec turbo isn't good or reliable but it's your wild claims of xxxbhp and supercar slaying performance that makes you look like a real cunt!

Man up, get it rr'd, prove it's around 260-270bhp and people will be a lot easier on you!

Rant over.

Gavin.
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:18 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

Originally Posted by creator
I cant wait for neils reply its going to be epic, mo your about to get owned
lol im preparing to take it though so all good as long as he knows its a laugh not meaning to insult him
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:22 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

Originally Posted by Derby_Gav
Mo why do you continue to wank yourself stupid over your 20 year old ford when you have a evo?

Or was that just bullshit the same as your etch a sketch 328bhp?

It seems that nobody really doubts that your budget zetec turbo isn't good or reliable but it's your wild claims of xxxbhp and supercar slaying performance that makes you look like a real cunt!

Man up, get it rr'd, prove it's around 260-270bhp and people will be a lot easier on you!

Rant over.

Gavin.
LOL mate the car has already been dynoed etc and made 328bhp! live mapped i dont care who has doubts at the end of the day its seen of alot of cars so its fast enough . i dont care what others think i know what my car is and what power its making. the evo is sold dude it was shit too many problems.
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:28 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED

so you have quaife gears now...
you get turned on dont ya every time i comment. go toilet mate theres shit always coming out of your mouth lately.
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:32 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

I've looked through my back issues of performance ford where they built a zetec turbo (2.0 blacktop) engine for a ka. The spec the had was wossner pistons, arp head stud and nut kit (optional), arp conrod bolts (essential), a +0.5mm overbore, new standard head gasket, arp venier bolts (optional), piper valve springs (essential) a mk1 focus rs turbo and inlet. It ran on gotech managment. Hope this is useful to you in some way, the issues were June 2007 onwards (6 issues) if you want to try getting hold of them.
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:44 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

go toilet mate theres shit always coming out of your mouth lately.
Pot... kettle... black!
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:46 PM
luke19790_3

you get turned on dont ya every time i comment. go toilet mate theres shit always coming out of your mouth lately.
You looking in mirror mo
Old 18-07-2011 | 09:47 PM
Rikochet
PassionFord Regular

I'm about 80% into a Zetec Turbo build for my Escort. It's the little things you don't think about that add expense to it.

I got a Blacktop engine out of an automatic so I know it's not been thrashed

Already had the EFi Turbo stuff on my car but have bought adaptor plates,decomp plate, gaskets, pipes and hosework, OFAB ECU and 1.8 Zetec sump etc etc etc

Done it for less than a grand once it's fitted next week so I'll be chuffed at that price.

Quick Reply: Zetec turbo on the cheap.