General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Explain car insurance premium increase?

Search this Thread

Old 19-03-2011, 11:54 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Explain car insurance premium increase?

Mrs called the insurance to inform them we've moved house and has been told we have an increase in our premium. I thought this rather odd and got her to query it, she was told it is because we have now moved to a better area and there are an abundance of nice cars making it a target for car crime, WTF, worst lie ever, so u live in a shit area and it's high risk, live in a better area and it's higher risk.
Old 19-03-2011, 12:01 PM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wouldnt be surprised if cos they think you live in a nice area you have money and wont mind paying extra..
Old 19-03-2011, 12:37 PM
bjproc

i move in with an ex, i phoned the insurance and i was going to be about £60 dearer, i asked why, i was informed that there has been an increase of insurance claims in that postcode.

*surprised*

i had to inform the person on the phone that i stayed in a block of flats where every person was over 70 (part from me & the ex) and there was no cars for a good bit in the street.

she just said thats what it is

so, they put it up, cause they can
Old 19-03-2011, 12:57 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I blame the bloody ambulance chasers!
Old 19-03-2011, 01:17 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rog
so u live in a shit area and it's high risk, live in a better area and it's higher risk.
If you live in a shit area and 10 £500 Vauxhalls get stolen, the Ins co pay out £5000.

If you live in a classy area and 1 Merc Amg gets stolen they could be paying out £50000.

Which area is going to cost the Ins co. more and therefore be the higher risk?

Old 19-03-2011, 01:21 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bjproc

i had to inform the person on the phone that i stayed in a block of flats where every person was over 70 (part from me & the ex) and there was no cars for a good bit in the street.

she just said thats what it is

so, they put it up, cause they can
The Postcode area used by insurance co's are wider than just a few houses.

For example your code for the flats could be DE4 5FG (around 20 addresses)
The Ins co. area is quite likely to be DE4 (thousands of addresses).

Old 19-03-2011, 03:47 PM
trev1964
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

4 years ago I moved house.
Moved 2 streets away, only the last digit of my postcode changed, from 'Q' to 'P'.
My insurance went down..!
I got a refund on all 4 of my policies at the time.
Wasn't much but still....
Old 19-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
I blame the bloody ambulance chasers!
Abso-fucking-lutely !!!! These fucking arseholes are to blame for all this....no win, no fee bollocks. Only Sun readers think that suing everyone is a good idea - it's a false economy as even those to get a payout will soon fucking moan when their premiums go up but won't cotton on as to why....
Old 19-03-2011, 04:15 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr S1
Abso-fucking-lutely !!!! These fucking arseholes are to blame for all this....no win, no fee bollocks. Only Sun readers think that suing everyone is a good idea - it's a false economy as even those to get a payout will soon fucking moan when their premiums go up but won't cotton on as to why....
What a load of crap, sorry but I'm in the camp that if someone does you harm they pay, maybe they might be a bit more careful next time.
My premium went up from around £350 to £1,112, and I still agree on people claiming where wronged.
Ever thought that no claim has been paid out where there was NOTHING TO PAY FOR ?, the only difference is people are fed up of being shit on by others and at last the most apathetic society known to mankind, ie the BRITISH are taking a stand.
Prior to this "fucking arsehole" ambulance chaser thing tell me HOW MANY TIMES DID YOUR INSURANCE GO DOWN, as the insurer made yet more record profit ?.
To spell it out, a insurance company is a business like any other, it's job is to take as much money from you as they can, if they take in LESS than their expenditure they are called a CHARITY, they don't need a reason, they have you by the bollocks as you are required by law to have insurance, work it out.
tabetha
Old 19-03-2011, 05:57 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by focusv8
If you live in a shit area and 10 £500 Vauxhalls get stolen, the Ins co pay out £5000.

If you live in a classy area and 1 Merc Amg gets stolen they could be paying out £50000.

Which area is going to cost the Ins co. more and therefore be the higher risk?

Couldn't put it better really. It comes down to a lot of things, the Mrs and I moved into Central Croydon two years ago now, but out insurance went up about 50-60. Now when I looked at the car crimes where we used to live they were a quater of what they are where we live now, so I can understand it.

Insurance premiums are all worked out on statistic possibilities of which they gather the information over years of claims.

Originally Posted by tabetha
What a load of crap, sorry but I'm in the camp that if someone does you harm they pay, maybe they might be a bit more careful next time.
My premium went up from around £350 to £1,112, and I still agree on people claiming where wronged.
Ever thought that no claim has been paid out where there was NOTHING TO PAY FOR ?, the only difference is people are fed up of being shit on by others and at last the most apathetic society known to mankind, ie the BRITISH are taking a stand.
Prior to this "fucking arsehole" ambulance chaser thing tell me HOW MANY TIMES DID YOUR INSURANCE GO DOWN, as the insurer made yet more record profit ?.
To spell it out, a insurance company is a business like any other, it's job is to take as much money from you as they can, if they take in LESS than their expenditure they are called a CHARITY, they don't need a reason, they have you by the bollocks as you are required by law to have insurance, work it out.
tabetha
I think you missed the point the others were trying to make about ambulance chasers. When there is a proper legitimate claim I can believe it.

However when you have these people making people claim for no real reason at all, that.s where its wrong. The Mrs and I had a minor accident at about 5-10mph. No harm to us or the other driver, yet we had about 40 phone calls in the last 3 months of people asking us to make a claim against them, when none of us have been harmed.

Its these claims for no reason at all that push EVERYONE's premiums up necessarily because people and unscrupulous, greedy wankers with no moral or concept of honor.

AS for your definition of a Charity.

Last edited by MadMac; 19-03-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 19-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

when my mum had someone hit her up the arse in the RS2000,we wasnt hurt but still had loads of companines ringing us trying to get us toosue for whiplash
Old 19-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

The good old whiplash claim, what a joke..