General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What car for daily drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 02:40 PM
scottyfocus
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What car for daily drive

Currently driving an st170, fed up of it tbh. Its slow drinks petrol and is a bugger to insure as im only 20. Im currently in the process of fixing a few bits and bobs so i can get it sold.

I had my heart set on a mk1 focus rs or the newer ST but it appears that with petrol going the way it is i may have to bite the bullet and get something more economical.

I have a budegt of anything up about 9-10k

Have heard good things about the astra 1.9cdti 150bhp version. I like the look of the ones with the body kit and a friend has the 120 version which to be fair goes quite well.

Any other suggestions as its looking like i might go with the astra?

Also the idea of the mk1 rs is still there, i keep telling myself that it will not depreciate as much as most other cars so could justify buying it even with the fuel prices. Although it would be a daily driver so it may depreciate alot? im not sure

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
scottyfocus

bump.

Also looking at civic type r
Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I use an A3 s-line, the trim inside is spanking, nice car to drive, firsty but then you can get the same car in diesel, but numb in terms of driving and dont feel hot hatchy but very nice.

Had a few CTR's, EP3's, can't rate them highly enough, very very good all rounder, but the dash was very dated for my taste, and the toys are limited.

What sort of miles are you doing a week?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Magnum PI
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't go vauxhall. Also for a diesel to be worth it you will have to be doing mega miles per year.

At you age id be looking at something like a fiesta zetec s.
Something small nippy and fun to drive
Old 12-03-2011, 06:16 PM
carcollector
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

matts1

audi diesel, never goes wrong and easy to get chipped.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:38 PM
syko2005
burning oil

Diesel is the way forward im afraid or at least it is to me. people keep saying you have to do the miles and its more expensive bla bla............ But you get the mpg with a derv, most modern dervs are great fun to drive and you can thrash all day long and still see at least 35mpg. Try and do that in a petrol.
Ok dervs cost more when they go wrong but its a big IF and to be honest modern day petrols cost just as much in repair bills.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 PM
shortymaz92

I'd choose Corsa 1.4 sri, nice to drive and good on fuel
Old 12-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Ginger Will
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I drive a 120d and get about 42-43 mpg with mostly town driving and the odd long run. I love the flexibility of the engine and to be fair it revs well for a diesel. If I did little or no miles a year I would get a petrol version like the 130. I think the astras are a bit numb and looing dated. I think the focus is a much nicer car to drive and you would be disapointed at the handling in an astra. Also the sill seems to be about a foot wide which means you get a dirty leg getting in and out!

Last edited by Ginger Will; 12-03-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: crap typung.
Old 13-03-2011, 01:01 PM
scottyfocus

I do about 1000 miles a month. And its for that reason im kind of ruling the rs out. It would be a shame to depreciate it that much. Wouldnt mind so much on an ST.

Dont really know many good diesel cars tbh that could still keep me exited.
Old 13-03-2011, 01:58 PM
dave_s2_rst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I drive my s2 daily, not so bad.

A civic type r would a good choice imo
Old 13-03-2011, 03:13 PM
scortpower
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I am in the same position as you. Currently looking to upgrade from the st170 to the rs but don't want to do 200 miles a week in the rs. Stuck for choice really. Prob get a rs and move closer to work is my answer at the moment
Old 13-03-2011, 04:05 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Both those cars are good shouts, tbh you don't buy a performance car if you want economy, which I why I can't understand your looking at a Derv Astra, surely your going backwards performance wise?

Another good shout is the Civic Type R, EP3 that is, the later one isn't as good (Just look at the Top Gear review) although drive one before you go looking at some don't like the power delivery of the Vtec engine.

If insurance is a problem then rule these cars out as they are going to be more expensive to insure than your current car!

Martin
Old 13-03-2011, 05:01 PM
scottyfocus

Insurance wise i would expect the CTR to be more expensive than an st170. The rs however, for whatever reason appears to be a big drop in insurance for me.

Reason i have picked up on the astra is i know they can remapped to nearly 200bhp with a hell of a lot of torque. I think this is similar to a leon tdi? Ive heard lot of good things about these also. They are pushing 50 mpg aswell. I would assume they are cheaper to insure and tax.

Its all really puzzling and i cant make my mind up. At the moment i could probably afford an RS or Civic, and would no doubt love whichever i got. However if petrol prices were to go insane i doubt i could run one and i don't want to find myself in a situation where the car is only used to travel to work.

CTR is probably winning at the moment. How do they stand up against the RS's and ST's, even st170? Standard ofcourse. Do they have much tuning potential?

Sorry for the long replies everyone but i am appreciating the advice given. EDIT: I mean ep3 Civics not the new ones (Theyre gash)

Last edited by scottyfocus; 13-03-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 13-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you driven an Astra diesel? We use them at work (and a lot of Corsas), I've been in nicer, more plush festival port-a-loos. Hideously cheap, plastic and naff.

How about something like an E46 BMW diesel? Golf GTDi? Seat Leon TDi? Fuck it even a Prius over an Astra diesel

CTR is a good drive, not a fan of how they deliver their goods but can see why they appeal to some people.
Old 13-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Buy an RS then buy a cheap work horse. You will have the best of both worlds.
Old 13-03-2011, 05:47 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The CTR will come down to how you like the power delivery, also, the seats are great but many say they gave them a bad back, I did until I got used to it.

Off the power they are very placed and quiet, but would think the Focus ST would be more refined and modern feeling.

The BMW E46 is a good shout, love the M sport 320/330d's in teh graphite grey on the mv2's, still a very nice looking car, grunt when you want it, but with all the creature comforts.

If you are doing 1,000 a month, maybe look at what you really want, powerful cruiser, or track style handling for the b roads?

I went from the CTR to the A3 and never looked back, currently considering moving on to something newer, but going to be hard to let it go tbh.

My little beauty...

Old 13-03-2011, 06:23 PM
scottyfocus

Originally Posted by matts1
The CTR will come down to how you like the power delivery, also, the seats are great but many say they gave them a bad back, I did until I got used to it.

Off the power they are very placed and quiet, but would think the Focus ST would be more refined and modern feeling.

The BMW E46 is a good shout, love the M sport 320/330d's in teh graphite grey on the mv2's, still a very nice looking car, grunt when you want it, but with all the creature comforts.

If you are doing 1,000 a month, maybe look at what you really want, powerful cruiser, or track style handling for the b roads?

I went from the CTR to the A3 and never looked back, currently considering moving on to something newer, but going to be hard to let it go tbh.

My little beauty...

Cracking looking car that mate. Going to have a look into these. Are they the 2.0 T FSI models? Could you give a bit more info on them please?

What price would you look for if you were to sell it?
Old 13-03-2011, 06:41 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shortymaz92
I'd choose Corsa 1.4 sri, nice to drive and good on fuel
really? i had one as a hire car through work; found it really thirsty and not great to drive
Old 13-03-2011, 08:00 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyfocus
Insurance wise i would expect the CTR to be more expensive than an st170. The rs however, for whatever reason appears to be a big drop in insurance for me.

Reason i have picked up on the astra is i know they can remapped to nearly 200bhp with a hell of a lot of torque. I think this is similar to a leon tdi? Ive heard lot of good things about these also. They are pushing 50 mpg aswell. I would assume they are cheaper to insure and tax.

Its all really puzzling and i cant make my mind up. At the moment i could probably afford an RS or Civic, and would no doubt love whichever i got. However if petrol prices were to go insane i doubt i could run one and i don't want to find myself in a situation where the car is only used to travel to work.

CTR is probably winning at the moment. How do they stand up against the RS's and ST's, even st170? Standard ofcourse. Do they have much tuning potential?

Sorry for the long replies everyone but i am appreciating the advice given. EDIT: I mean ep3 Civics not the new ones (Theyre gash)
The Type R is faster than the 170 (It's 197HP) I would say it's more of a rival to the RS with the Type S being the rival to the ST170, you would be surprised to know it is more like 150-160HP in the real world but in any case speed/power is not everything and the Focus is a fine car!

The RS will have more tuning potential and has more power as standard than the Type R.

Have you considered the MK2 ST (225)? This has more power than all the above and good tuning potential and a gorgeous sounding, torquey 5 cylinder Volvo engine!

Martin
Old 24-03-2011, 05:08 PM
scottyfocus

Test driving a few this weekend, including the audi a3 2.0.tfsi and the 2.0 tdi (170) and a Civic Type r.

Unfortunately the two mk1 rs's for sale near me wont allow me to test drive yet But wouldn't be interested anyway as they are 80k plus mileage for 8 and 9 grand. For that money id be looking for a sub 50k model. Or are my expectations too high?

The CTR is a 55 plate milano red, full service history, 53k miles for 7 grand. It has the red seats and i think that means its a premier edition?
It look very nice anyhow.

I plan to drive a facelift ST soon aswell, although i would only be intersted in the ST3's.
Old 24-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Tottie xr2
Built not bought

I jus bought a 10 plate petrol fiesta zetec s as a daily drive!

43.6 mpg average, Ł115 a year tax, insurane group 6

Imo I wouldn't bother with a diesel unless you do 20,000+ miles a year

Last edited by Tottie xr2; 24-03-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Missed abit out
Old 24-03-2011, 06:43 PM
slider
Regular Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ive got a alfa 147 jtd mjet diesel, 1.9 16v 150bhp 6 speed gearbox, full leather, heated seats etc cruise control, lovely car to drive and look at, or if you fancy a coupe you could do a lot worse than an alfa gt diesel
Old 24-03-2011, 06:47 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by slider
ive got a alfa 147 jtd mjet diesel, 1.9 16v 150bhp 6 speed gearbox, full leather, heated seats etc cruise control, lovely car to drive and look at, or if you fancy a coupe you could do a lot worse than an alfa gt diesel
wait for the elctrical problems, although i will admit, the diesels seem to be better than the petrols