General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fuel could reach £2.00 per litre

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Ive been an electrician for some 15 years, and can honestly say the wages are not good, although they certainly did improve from when I first started until a couple of years ago.
But wages had pretty much remained stagnant for a few years before that, so any increases seen, were barely making up that difference.
The only people in that trade who are overpaid, are apprentices and the incompetent ones.
But then people forget that before there was a shortage of semi-skilled tradesman they were paid a low wage.

The thing thats changed IMO, is peoples expectations over standard of living and hence wage needed to meet that.

Much of the building trades are just the same, semi-skilled manual work which traditionally achieved low wages.

Gas fitters are probably the most crazy changes though!!

The problem i think is too many people have got used to higher wages than comparatively compared elsewhere in europe/world compared to what their skills are really worth.
Although even when I was still working there, towards the end people were coming in prepared to work for half the proper rate, just to get work. And most employers didnt give a damn who was qualified or not, nevermind competent and qualified. They seen cheap labour and jumped at it.
It was cheaper for them to have idiots do the work to a low standard, and just repair what was spotted, than pay proper people to do a proper job in the first place.
That's just simple greed and only accelerated the inevitable.

Im now doing courier work as an owner driver. And although doing this only a couple of years, I can say most drivers are getting well and truly screwed over. Not helped by the fact fuel alone has went up some 40% in that time, nevermind insurance, liability etc.
What they pay hasnt moved a bit, and in some cases, it has even dropped !

The employers know they can get away with it, as there simply isnt anywhere for the drivers to go. They keep piling on more and more work, for no extra money.
Ive seen day's where Ive covered 600 miles and given the time/fuel involved would be earning way less than minimum wage.
Again your in a low skilled manual sector type of job, the kind of work that most people are qualified for and hence the old "supply and demand" rules apply again.

I guess its unfortunate that in recessions generally wages fall and the people most likely to be unemployed by sheer numbers are low/semi skilled and manual workers leaving employers in the situation that they can pay peanuts and still have loads of people willing to do the work.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

It isnt so much people expectations have got higher. The government through their incompetence and squandering, have forced the cost of living up.

But of course it is greed, that's how 95% of employers work. Ive yet to work for any company where they have treated their employees with the respect they deserved and offered them a fair pay etc
Although I have only worked for a small handful of places since I started working some 18 years ago.

As for the electrical game, I told several people offering jobs at low pay, that no electrician worth their salt would work for that money, and I'd sweep floors before I'd do electrical work for what they were offering. I was in utter disbelief at one place, when their advert said excellent rates of pay, and they were seeking proper JIB graded sparks etc. I almost asked the guy if he was on drugs when he told me what pay they were offering !

But of course, these governing bodies who are supposed to regulate are also to blame. They do nothing to stop incompetent people doing the work.
One employer I knew of, had 1 spark, and about 20 apprentices. That was totally wrong and illegal on many counts. But he got work done very very cheaply, even if the standard of work was atrocious.

As with many services, it is the crooked people who keep their jobs, although that seems to start right at the top. ie politicians.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

I disagree about expectations. Yes of course living costs are higher but you compare our rates of pay for manual low skilled and semi-skilled work with most of europe and we just cant compete, even when you consider the factor of living costs. Now you cant honestly say that a british leccy is worth more proportionality than compared to elsewhere in europe??

peoples standards of living are so much higher now too.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 AM
steve252
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shings
Mate your car must be a complete scrapper then...

I sold mine about a month ago with 4 bald tyres a bit of tax n test, electrical problems, dinks and dents all over it and no history... I got £700 quite easily.

Quite the opposite mate

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2575459.htm

Sold same day for £750 but no one even battered an eyelid at £800 for months. I bought it for £700 6 months ago anyway

U must just have had a idiot buy yours then TBH