General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fuel could reach £2.00 per litre

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011 | 11:08 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Originally Posted by StephenC
Fuuny how we get the shit end of the stick isnt it?? You can bet your arse it isnt going to rise by 50% in America! Fuck knows how but weve got ourselves in a situation where we always sit back and take anything from anyone. Weve got imigrants laughing their cocks off at us as we throw money at them then theres us getting taxed to fucking death on anything and everything, and the more we work and try better ourselves the bigger that cut becomes. Feels like Coco and Krusty are running the country, bunch of clowns
I completely agree Stephen... I think it's because we've given the do-gooders an inch and they've realised that they can take miles and miles without any opposition.

Now we've fucked it and let so many of the fuckers in (I'm talking about government as well as immigration here before people tell me to cut a couple of eyes in a tablecloth and stick it over my head) that they've formed such large a bleeding heart following that we're unable to over rule them because they're in the majority.

I honestly dread to think of what a state this country will be in over the coming decade and beyond, cause currently, the future looks really bleak to me.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05-03-2011 | 11:54 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by steve252
they already have!!

ive been trying to sell my 306 GTI-6 atm, and im struggling to get the mear £800
Mate your car must be a complete scrapper then...

I sold mine about a month ago with 4 bald tyres a bit of tax n test, electrical problems, dinks and dents all over it and no history... I got £700 quite easily.
Old 06-03-2011 | 02:52 AM
carlfiesta999
BANNED

I thought 60% of what we pay on a litre is goverment tax? nothing to do with oil prices and whats going on with the raghead scum? Put £20 in my car yesterday. 74 mile, crawled home, sucking on the bottom of the tank living out in the sticks too , nearest supermarket is 8 miles away, everytime i wanna go somewhere it costs me a fiver
Old 06-03-2011 | 03:23 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

moving to america sounds like a good idea to me. cant see fuel prices going too mental in the US in my lifetime. Sure it isnt much better country and is still fucked up but ive family there and it might give me decent earning potential so when i retire and come home i can have a decent living rather than the poverty the rest of us will have the way things are going.
Old 06-03-2011 | 04:41 AM
carlfiesta999
BANNED

Begs the question though. where will it all end? civil war?
Old 06-03-2011 | 08:23 AM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by carlfiesta999
Begs the question though. where will it all end? civil war?

I said this to the mrs last night.
if it gets to £2 a litre within this year I think mass demonstration at the least should be on the cards.

as with anything when fuel goes up so does everything else.
my company have held off putting their prices up as the event and exhibition industry is shakey as it is.
but they cant hold off anymore as the profits are drying up. they have already laid a few guys off. whilst we were in the recession alot of big names cancelled big events which hurt us big time. now the work is slowly coming back but alot of event companies already folded so we have tried to hang in there hoping the work they had would come to us but it seems rather than the work going else where, the work has just dried up.
worrying times ahead for us. any sort of fuel duty rise is the last thing we need.
Old 06-03-2011 | 08:45 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Makes me look more into an LPG kit the more I think about the price of fuel, even though the car only does 20 miles a day LPG would pay for itself in no time at all.
Old 06-03-2011 | 08:48 AM
simo2k2000
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Graceland
Makes me look more into an LPG kit the more I think about the price of fuel, even though the car only does 20 miles a day LPG would pay for itself in no time at all.
Have you seen how much that has been creeping up as well?
Old 06-03-2011 | 09:01 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Didnt we hear this at 50p a litre then £1 if it goes to £2 we will have to pay as we always have. Bit strange on a modified car site to be moaning about cost of running a car lots of slack in most car budgets just stop running an old Ford, buying X boxes, plasma TV's, I phones etc. You lads expect all those things previous generations didnt.

At the mo petrol is not historically high its just that its been cheap for sometime. In 1963 when i started fuel was equivalent to £1.63 a litre at todays prices.
Old 06-03-2011 | 09:17 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Regardless of moaning.

The country could not afford to have fuel at that price.

Haulage firms would go bust, or business's simply wouldnt be able to afford to put product on their shelves at a price people could afford to get to the shops and buy.

Ambulances etc, well the NHS is already broke, imagine if they couldnt afford to get to emergencies.

Public transport, trains. There is no way wages will increase to reflect the cost of fuel. The money simply isnt there.

Well....it could be there if those arseholes in government werent wasting billions on stupid fucking wars. he only sensible war our government can enter into now, is an invasion to steal oil for ourselves, and fuck everyone else.
Old 06-03-2011 | 09:22 AM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Graceland

dont think thats an option for most as the cost of getting the gas kit fitted and running would eat into the savings.
dependant on the miledge you do of course the average is 6years of running on gas before3 you start to reap the benifits of the price which will have no doubt gone up aswell
Old 06-03-2011 | 09:55 AM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by mar_k
dont think thats an option for most as the cost of getting the gas kit fitted and running would eat into the savings.
dependant on the miledge you do of course the average is 6years of running on gas before3 you start to reap the benifits of the price which will have no doubt gone up aswell
The benefit I see, regardless of the originial cost is the fact I'm a student and lucky to bring home £50 a week.
If I had £1000 I'd spend it on something, might aswell be a LPG conversion cause I sure wouldn't save the money.
That means less of my wages each week to go on fuel
Old 06-03-2011 | 12:39 PM
Prodigy4B
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

The fact is that the gov are taking/Stealing 30p more tax out of a litre than they should be.

Old 06-03-2011 | 01:00 PM
Marcyg
Regular Contributor

Fuel is less in the states because they import less. They have massive reserves they share with no one. You can be sure, as soon as they get low they'll REALLY start bombing the fuck out the middle east
Old 06-03-2011 | 01:08 PM
david 100
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Fuel £2.00 a ltr, just give it a week or two and we will get used to it, we have all the other times its gone up.
Old 08-03-2011 | 06:39 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well, over the last week i have seen a 3p per litre increase at the local garage and a 4p per litre at the one where i pass by to/from work
Old 08-03-2011 | 06:41 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

I'd say in the past 2-3 weeks it's went up 7-8p/l in some cases.

Seen first petrol station today with diesel at 140.9 per litre.
Old 08-03-2011 | 06:48 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

In Folkestone its about £1.32 a litre yet in Sittingbourne it was £1.27 a litre at one garage and few yards down the road £1.32
Old 08-03-2011 | 06:49 PM
Matt carter

10 gallon drum of petrol or diesel. £10 of brother in law has a car bracker.

Not bin to a garage for years.

Last edited by Matt carter; 08-03-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2011 | 06:53 PM
Stevie RS Boy

we currently run 2 cars, 1 petrol, 1 diesel, if it goes up any more i am taking one of the road,
Old 08-03-2011 | 07:24 PM
left hooker
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Matt carter
10 gallon drum of petrol or diesel. £10 of brother in law has a car bracker.

Not bin to a garage for years.
i know you get infraction for pointing out spelling mistakes but i had to take 5 looks at what matt has put and he has edited it

sorry matt for this post but had too
Old 08-03-2011 | 07:55 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

focus cost me more per litre to fuel than the cossy on sunday,the diesel was 133.9 and super unleaded was 131.9.
Old 08-03-2011 | 08:06 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by ben_frst
i was thinking of veg oil in the van ive heard some horror stories but then i know someone with a merc diesel running 50/50 veg/diesel and has covered 10000s of miles over a few years and swears buy it
I've been running veg in my diesel cars for years mate
Old 08-03-2011 | 08:24 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm not sure it's going to hit £2.00 for a while yet, but I think £1.50 is a real possibilty during the summer. I think the planned rise in duty should be canned. I'm certainly not against all the cuts in public spending, as it's time we tightened our belts, but I think just one break that would benefit millions would really help, not to mention gain a few PR points.

What I do find interesting about the whole fuel thing, is that people moan away about prices, but I wonder how many people actually shop around for fuel? So many people still seem to use very expensive retailers when buying petrol, which can't help prices. I only use a very select few garages when filling up, and refuse to use a lot of companies as they charge so much (BP are a good example of this in a lot of cases). If people were a bit more picky and only used the cheapest places around, it might at least knock a few pence off here and there as a bit of competition develops.

It's always struck me as a bit odd how people are quite willing to put small grocery retailers out of business by all piling into Tesco/Asda every weekend, queueing for ages and fighting to get to the shelves, or by buying cheap Chinese shite products that don't last 5 minutes instead of buying higher quality goods from other places, but when it comes to fuel, they won't even take a five minute detour, but happily just fill up at where ever is convenient, however much it costs. Seems an odd situation to me.

Originally Posted by MadRod
Didnt we hear this at 50p a litre then £1 if it goes to £2 we will have to pay as we always have. Bit strange on a modified car site to be moaning about cost of running a car lots of slack in most car budgets just stop running an old Ford, buying X boxes, plasma TV's, I phones etc. You lads expect all those things previous generations didnt.

At the mo petrol is not historically high its just that its been cheap for sometime. In 1963 when i started fuel was equivalent to £1.63 a litre at todays prices.
I would say that's something of a sweeping generalisation that probably doesn't cover a huge number of people on this forum. I bet the majority of registered users on this forum probably drive pretty lowly stuff that doesn't cost a fortune to run, and I bet a lot of them can't afford all the things you mention. I think all the big budget, big money spenders on here skew reality a little.

Last edited by massivewangers; 08-03-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2011 | 08:50 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Down the road from me diesel is 142.9 at a Shell garage!
I am using Tesco 99 in Kettering which is 131.9
Old 08-03-2011 | 09:35 PM
Bungle

fuck fuel tax cherryade all the way for me
Old 08-03-2011 | 09:55 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

I do a minimum of 600 miles a week at the moment, fuel prices have such a massive impact on my disposable income, 2 quid a litre would properly hurt as I use over 60 litres a week most weeks!
Old 08-03-2011 | 09:58 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Regardless of moaning.

The country could not afford to have fuel at that price.

Haulage firms would go bust, or business's simply wouldnt be able to afford to put product on their shelves at a price people could afford to get to the shops and buy.
People said the same about a quid a litre, and yet the haulage firms (most of them) are still going

Ambulances etc, well the NHS is already broke, imagine if they couldnt afford to get to emergencies.

Public transport, trains. There is no way wages will increase to reflect the cost of fuel. The money simply isnt there.

Well....it could be there if those arseholes in government werent wasting billions on stupid fucking wars. he only sensible war our government can enter into now, is an invasion to steal oil for ourselves, and fuck everyone else.
Arent those exactly the sort of wars we have been picking?
Not quite stealing the oil itself, but certainly a fair chunk of its revenue.
Old 08-03-2011 | 10:01 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Marcyg
Fuel is less in the states because they import less. They have massive reserves they share with no one. You can be sure, as soon as they get low they'll REALLY start bombing the fuck out the middle east
Fuel in the states is dearer than fuel in the uk still I beleive, as it historically has been for as long as I can remember.
Its only fuel duty that is cheaper there as far as im aware.
Old 08-03-2011 | 10:03 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Dozens of haulage companies have went bust here over the past 2-3 years. And some of them big hauliers too.

It's absolutely wrong to say that most are still going when many many have went bust.
Old 08-03-2011 | 10:03 PM
Chip

Didnt we hear this at 50p a litre then £1 if it goes to £2 we will have to pay as we always have.
Agreed, I will pay it as I dont have any alternative that isnt too much of a compromise in other ways such as convenience.

Bit strange on a modified car site to be moaning about cost of running a car lots of slack in most car budgets just stop running an old Ford, buying X boxes, plasma TV's, I phones etc. You lads expect all those things previous generations didnt.
Thats a bit of a silly comment TBH, being a modified car site has nothing to do with the cost of daily drivers, I would have those costs even if I wasnt into cars, in fact they would be higher as I would be paying for servicing too if my hobby hadnt taught me how to do it myself.

As for our generation having things previous ones didnt, thats always been the case, you had lots of things your grandparents didnt, technology always becomes more readily available with each generation that passes.

At the mo petrol is not historically high its just that its been cheap for sometime. In 1963 when i started fuel was equivalent to £1.63 a litre at todays prices.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-03-2011 | 11:05 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Dozens of haulage companies have went bust here over the past 2-3 years. And some of them big hauliers too.

It's absolutely wrong to say that most are still going when many many have went bust.
ok lets rephrase that then....

the dead wood went bust and the competitive ones remained.

as in any business its supply and demand. if theres more trucks than need then of course many will go bust as retailers etc can cut the prices of transport as someone somewhere will do the work.
Old 09-03-2011 | 07:20 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

I'd say many of the ones still going...as with many industries in this current climate. Are the ones screwing their employees who are taking the brunt of the cuts.
Same with the construction industry where I used to work.

The bosses arent taking pay cuts, but the men on the ground are forced to take pay cuts and often work longer hours for the privilege
Old 09-03-2011 | 07:44 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

TBH the average wage was too high to start with..... Wages in a lot of trades skyrocketed in 90's/00's as people moved away from those professions and did other careers to wages skyrocketed due to demand.

its only right now the tables are turned that wages will fall.....

harsh but thats the reality of the world we live in.
Old 09-03-2011 | 08:24 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
TBH the average wage was too high to start with..... Wages in a lot of trades skyrocketed in 90's/00's as people moved away from those professions and did other careers to wages skyrocketed due to demand.

its only right now the tables are turned that wages will fall.....

harsh but thats the reality of the world we live in.
Ive been an electrician for some 15 years, and can honestly say the wages are not good, although they certainly did improve from when I first started until a couple of years ago.
But wages had pretty much remained stagnant for a few years before that, so any increases seen, were barely making up that difference.
The only people in that trade who are overpaid, are apprentices and the incompetent ones.
Although even when I was still working there, towards the end people were coming in prepared to work for half the proper rate, just to get work. And most employers didnt give a damn who was qualified or not, nevermind competent and qualified. They seen cheap labour and jumped at it.
It was cheaper for them to have idiots do the work to a low standard, and just repair what was spotted, than pay proper people to do a proper job in the first place.

Im now doing courier work as an owner driver. And although doing this only a couple of years, I can say most drivers are getting well and truly screwed over. Not helped by the fact fuel alone has went up some 40% in that time, nevermind insurance, liability etc.
What they pay hasnt moved a bit, and in some cases, it has even dropped !

The employers know they can get away with it, as there simply isnt anywhere for the drivers to go. They keep piling on more and more work, for no extra money.
Ive seen day's where Ive covered 600 miles and given the time/fuel involved would be earning way less than minimum wage.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 09-03-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2011 | 08:46 PM
pollocks

Originally Posted by Marcyg

I was under the impression that the US still imported majority of what they use
Old 09-03-2011 | 08:57 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by pollocks
I was under the impression that the US still imported majority of what they use
They do, they are using up other peoples reserves and not using too much of their own, smart move!
Old 09-03-2011 | 09:13 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

They'll maybe use their own reserves to pay off their debts to China lol
Old 09-03-2011 | 09:15 PM
Chip

A lot of the profits in china are going straight to the US anyway I beleive, they own loads of the companies over there as far as im aware.
Old 09-03-2011 | 09:29 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Is that comparing the price to wages/inflation? Or taking into account that cars were sh1t on fuel?

Originally Posted by Stevie RS Boy
we currently run 2 cars, 1 petrol, 1 diesel, if it goes up any more i am taking one of the road,
At what point though? Most people say things like this, but rarely do actually do anything about it.

Quick Reply: Fuel could reach £2.00 per litre