General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

1000+hp ford engine build

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:26 AM
bj928
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 1000+hp ford engine build

as some may have read in some other threads i am looking at building a modular ford engine, basicly the same engine as a GT40, alloy block, A built bottom end, ported heads, and a hoofing great supercharger. well i bought my first part towards the build, a Ford GT inlet, its the factory part that takes 16 injectors, has the supercharger bolted on top of it, and a water to air charge cooler inside

nice bit of kit for a factory part and only $300 delivered!!!!

thing is i want to mod it so the air going into it from the supercharger (very HOT) gets channeled out to a air to air intercooler then goes back into lower part and feeds engine with nice cold air, the problem with the standard charge cooler is its very limited in how cool it makes the air temp, and most the tuners have major problems with detonation past i certain boost, normally just over 18psi, and all they do is up the octane, rather than sort the air temp, or i think thats what is happening from what i have read, maybe the people that know about these things can enlighten me.

here is one someone has modded i think for turbo but the idea is sort of the same, but i will need to funnel the superchargers air out, before bringing it back in, as you can see i will have to take air out fornt or rear, than bring it back in the opposit end, for some reason this pipe is at the rear, not sure why, maybe clearence issues with the intended vehicle,

i've never worked with forced indution before so its a leaning curve, and the Americans don't really tune the engines like the brits, they overcome problems by upping the octane, and changing the timing to suit, i will be using a good management system, but not sure what yet, would like one that will run all 16 injectors as 16 not 8, but maybe running as 8 would be ok, talk to me please, people in the know, i want hard facts and theories not pub talk theories, as this is going to be an expensive engine, but built right with help from people who know how to build a good engine, and maybe, just maybe a for can win something like TOTB in a year or 2!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 AM
turbotoaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it used to be known that its better to go with more smaller injectors running more fuel pressure than just a few big ones due to better spray pattern and atomisation.

depending on what AFR you decide to tune the engine to will impact on how much fuel you need to account for but for a 1000bhp v8 your looking at needing 6000cc per minute.

if you decide to run 16 injectors then got for 16x400cc, this will mean you arnt pushing them massively hard which will give you reliability.

But being honest if this was 20yrs ago, that would be my suggestion, but injector and ecu technology has come along way since then.

In this day and age i would suggest running 8x1000cc ID injectors, these are brilliant injectors that surpass anything else on the market......there basically the new range of bosch ones.

they have excellant low msec control so low rpm and idle maps can be like factory.

if you want to see an example of this, this is a bone stock integra running 4x2000cc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX1xIvOWcNk

if you have any questions let me know, i already assume you have watched
the twin gt35 powered gt40 of dales?

v8 making 1196bhp on 8x1000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVVe2tltuRs
Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

What is the actual question ?

There are issues with remotely mounting the blower and fitting an external intercooler. Mostly due to the air volume behind the throttle plate. Unless you can somehow move the throttle to closer to the intake valve ( ie after the blower. But then air bypass needs to be sorted etc )

It can allow a massive rev up on startup, and will affect throttle response.
It also gives a massive air volume should a backfire ever occur. Not a good idea.

You'd be best fitting the best A2W unit you can under the blower in the valley as normal. And if you need additional cooling, look to water/meth injection.

You could even use a system using the 8 redundant injector holes for port injection.

With the correct ecu, 8 x ID1000's will work just fine. Apparently the 2000's do too, although I find that harder to believe at low rpms.
If using 2 inj per cylinder, the 60lb Siemens are good. Im using a pair of them myself.

What fuel do you intend using ?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:41 AM
bj928

thanks for the replies, i want to get max hp out of normal super unleaded, don't want to have to start finding high octane stuff to add to my fuel, just want to be able to call in and fuel like normal,

the supercharger would sit in its normal place in the V, but have its air taken care of by an intercooler like a turbo rather than the W2A charge cooler, normal place for the throttle body is to control the air going into the supercharger, would it be better moved to after the intercooler or leave it where it is,

the injectors is where i was old school, i was still thinking 16 was better than 8, not looking to be tight, but would the 8x1000cc injectors be mega money compared to the 16x60lb injectors,

going back to fuel, is there a limit to the boost run with normal pump fuel, i never here of people running special fuel with high hp cossies and the like, so i had just guessed they all run normal fuel.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

will be mint if you can build this. What car is it going into?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:09 PM
bj928

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
will be mint if you can build this. What car is it going into?
at the moment its maybe going in my kit car to replace the viper v10, but would be made 4x4 so i can get power down, or at least have a fighting chance of getting some power down, if not option 2 would be a mk6 transit as that could go 4x4 easy, i would look at a sierra, but i don't think it would fit because of the hight of the engine, in the kit i got nothing under where the engine sits, so i can get it low down, and if i use the Ford GT dry sump setup i can get it down another 4inches, both the kit and the transit will alow me to use a lincoln navigator front independent axle, which is the same axle (ford 8.8) as i have in the back of the kit, and could easly put on the back of the transit, although the mk6 transits had a Dana rear axle and i thing i can get that in a ratio to match the 8.8 front, i'm limited to which vehicle because of wanting 4x4, the sierra would be nice to use but i would have to space frame the front end and find a front diff i could get to work in such a small space and that could take the power.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:11 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by bj928
thanks for the replies, i want to get max hp out of normal super unleaded, don't want to have to start finding high octane stuff to add to my fuel, just want to be able to call in and fuel like normal,

the supercharger would sit in its normal place in the V, but have its air taken care of by an intercooler like a turbo rather than the W2A charge cooler, normal place for the throttle body is to control the air going into the supercharger, would it be better moved to after the intercooler or leave it where it is,

the injectors is where i was old school, i was still thinking 16 was better than 8, not looking to be tight, but would the 8x1000cc injectors be mega money compared to the 16x60lb injectors,

going back to fuel, is there a limit to the boost run with normal pump fuel, i never here of people running special fuel with high hp cossies and the like, so i had just guessed they all run normal fuel.
Most of this has been covered in your other threads.

E85 is readily available at the pump too in the US. Hence I asked. From what I gather its cheap too.

Ive already explained the issues with the remote intercooler on such a setup. Take a look at how many systems are built the way you are describing....Very very very few. For good reason.

Number of injectors depends on the ability of your ecu to control them. Can your ecu run 16 injectors in proper sequential/staged injection ?

And boost/fuel was covered before. Drop the compression, and you'll be able to run more boost safely. It's as simple as that. Lower compression will not be an issue for the style of blower you intend to use.
Old 19-12-2010, 10:07 PM
bj928

well i bought the heads today, 32v heads from a Ford GT supercar, said to be the best flowing heads money can buy, and a hell of a lot less then cossie heads, the pair including delivery $2124 (£1370)

fully Ported & Polished 4v GT Heads with 1mm larger ferrea exhaust valves, stock intake (was set up for turbo) Stock valve springs, Stock GT Cams, New valve seals, New lifters, Cam tunnels honed.

Last edited by bj928; 19-12-2010 at 10:10 PM.