General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Intercooler Test (Pics added Page 10)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny @ Enhanced Performance
Mark i dont honestly know mate,pete said this said that looked at mine at the mo and said he would make the inlet side larger than the turbo side to speed up air flow etc and to be honest after what pete said and the way the spec r performed i will be having whatever he decides to build for me!!!lol

cheers danny
Theres various sizes Danny but some would require mods I suggest, ive cut the front cross member on mine & its width required the front light caseings to be cut away it cant possibly be any wider on mine. But it can cope with up to 1000bhp.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:40 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

No coments from Chip yet

Steve
Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie4i
No coments from Chip yet

Steve
that is WELL surprising
Old 12-11-2010, 12:00 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by R4N S S
that is WELL surprising
Im glad im not the only one that thinks so lol

Steve
Old 12-11-2010, 12:11 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

im sure he will be on hee soon - normally he is on techy threads like flies are to shit
Old 12-11-2010, 12:16 PM
rs-tuner
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sure he will be on hee soon - normally he is on techy threads like flies are to shit
I haven't seen him argue with Danny at all this week.

Last edited by rs-tuner; 12-11-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 PM
polly_x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadRod
Theres various sizes Danny but some would require mods I suggest, ive cut the front cross member on mine & its width required the front light caseings to be cut away it cant possibly be any wider on mine. But it can cope with up to 1000bhp.
Rod, how do you know that it can cope with 1000bhp?

And cope with what under what conditions? There are a few theoretical things required to get 1000BHP so I dont understand the relevance of quoting a BHP figure?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In all the tests I have seen, the Airtec one is just AMAZING value and it is not worth considering others until the power exceeds 450bhp, or you know for sure you will be exceeding that at a later date.

As soon as you go above this though, the temps seem to rise dramatically, especially where boost exceeds 25psi.

It isn't until you see these high flow / high boost situations that you can fully appreciate the better cores fitted to the more expensive intercoolers.

There is around Ł50 difference between the Pro-alloy (cheaper) 100mm and the "Super" SpecR version.

Here is a picture of the Pro-alloy one so you can see the ends and inlets / outlets perfectly. Please note that this version has been designed for my lowly T4 (52lb air):
Name:  Bodyworkrestoration086.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  155.7 KB

Name:  Bodyworkrestoration085.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  Bodyworkrestoration084.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  105.5 KB

I have yet to use it in anger, so can't comment on the temps, but it is significantly more efficient than the 65mm one as I have gained 0.5 bar of boost, so needs to have the boost curve remapped (going to Bruntingthorpe next week).

However, for just a Ł50 difference, I think I would prefer the Spec-R one, purely because it is physically smaller, so if it performs as well as the Pro-alloy one (or even better), this will mean that the will be better airflow to the radiator etc..... But saying that, I'm with Harvey and Jim and don't plan to change while I have no issues .
Old 12-11-2010, 12:29 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

so if you staying below 450 - say approx 380-400bhp and are running a 2.2bar spike and 2bar held to redline will the Airtec cope adequeately?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

so if you staying below 450 - say approx 380-400bhp and are running a 2.2bar spike and 2bar held to redline will the Airtec cope adequeately?
Intercooler is likely to cope, but a T34 will blow itself to pieces, unless your red line is at 6000rpm .
Old 12-11-2010, 12:56 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally some sense from someone Mike

Glad I've bought one

So everyone going on about the cost of the Spec-R, if you plan to have around or over 500hp, and want a decent cooler, Spec-R is the logical choice
Old 12-11-2010, 12:57 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Mike t34 will last about 12-18 months at that level - trust me i know
Old 12-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
In all the tests I have seen, the Airtec one is just AMAZING value and it is not worth considering others until the power exceeds 450bhp, or you know for sure you will be exceeding that at a later date.

As soon as you go above this though, the temps seem to rise dramatically, especially where boost exceeds 25psi.

It isn't until you see these high flow / high boost situations that you can fully appreciate the better cores fitted to the more expensive intercoolers.

There is around Ł50 difference between the Pro-alloy (cheaper) 100mm and the "Super" SpecR version.

Here is a picture of the Pro-alloy one so you can see the ends and inlets / outlets perfectly. Please note that this version has been designed for my lowly T4 (52lb air):

I have yet to use it in anger, so can't comment on the temps, but it is significantly more efficient than the 65mm one as I have gained 0.5 bar of boost, so needs to have the boost curve remapped (going to Bruntingthorpe next week).

However, for just a Ł50 difference, I think I would prefer the Spec-R one, purely because it is physically smaller, so if it performs as well as the Pro-alloy one (or even better), this will mean that the will be better airflow to the radiator etc..... But saying that, I'm with Harvey and Jim and don't plan to change while I have no issues .
Perfectly well put and more or less exactly what iv said...

cheers danny
Old 12-11-2010, 02:16 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

After sitting here and having a good look and thinking about the results of the day i have just ordered a Spec-R intercooler off Pete.

One of the main reasons is the Airtec intercooler still takes as much time to recover its temps on the road as my old one, even though it performed well on the rollers.

I know i wasn't able to test the Spec-R one on the road but the reports Mark Shead posted about amazing temp recovery has also helped me decide to get one.

Another fact it also weighs about 1/2 the weight of the Airtec intercooler.

And one last think is the way the Spec-R intercooler picks up the power earlier throughout the power runs and how smooth the line is with no turbo surge.

Steve
Old 12-11-2010, 02:18 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice one Steve

I thought you might after seeing your thread asking for bumper pics
Old 12-11-2010, 02:22 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Think i'll be having one of these too.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:25 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Looks like i have got Pete some business.

Well he has got mine at least.

Steve
Old 12-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

After sitting here and having a good look and thinking about the results of the day i have just ordered a Spec-R intercooler off Pete.

One of the main reasons is the Airtec intercooler still takes as much time to recover its temps on the road as my old one, even though it performed well on the rollers.

I know i wasn't able to test the Spec-R one on the road but the reports Mark Shead posted about amazing temp recovery has also helped me decide to get one.

And one last think is the way the Spec-R intercooler picks up the power earlier throughout the power runs and how smooth the line is with no turbo surge.

Steve
480bhp is a big ask of such a well priced intercooler as the Airtec one. I can't see how anyone can expect it to perform as well as one costing three times as much LOL.

Perfect budget set-up for sub 400bhp all day long. Above that you obviously need the better cores that the usual suspects provide .
Old 12-11-2010, 02:38 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

so where can i get an airtec for 200?

Steve wanna sell yours
Old 12-11-2010, 02:58 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Steve wanna sell yours
You can buy my Radtec one for Ł175 posted or my modified Airtec one for Ł260+ postage

Steve
Old 12-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Steve wanna sell yours

Ask the person that post that price earlier in this thread .
Old 12-11-2010, 03:17 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

hhmm i am tempted but i need to save for bodywork first, then i need to save for engine parts. After all that is complete then i can save for other bits and pieces

I am well tempted tho
Old 12-11-2010, 03:28 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

I have just looked back through a Fast Ford from 1999 to see how much a RS500 spec intercooler was.

Would you believe it was Ł330, add in 11 years worth of inflation and how much would a RS500 spec one be now in relative terms ?

Makes the Airtec one very cheap and the new super Spec-R one not much more expensive than what we would of payed in 1999

Steve
Old 12-11-2010, 03:29 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

hhmm i am tempted but i need to save for bodywork first, then i need to save for engine parts. After all that is complete then i can save for other bits and pieces

I am well tempted tho
You will need one anyway so buy it

Steve
Old 12-11-2010, 03:31 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

pm'd
Old 12-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird

When myself and Pete set about the design of his new intercooler the way the pipes enter and exit the core was a concern as I have always had thoughts of bad flow with the 500style core,
When you look at yours the air will always choose the path of least resistance so pointing the inlet like yours will always make this happen and then some of the air will then go down the core where the bumper hies is so no real cooling and the bottom IMO is always stale air so the whole core is not being used correctly,
It was decided to top feed as the core was shorter and have the core in as much air as poss, So IMO top feeding improves flow and the shorter core improves the airflow across it as the bumper is not making it a interheater,
Also the internal volume is massivly more than the Spec r so you would be able to log this on a boost recovery graph on gear change whether someone would notice this is down to them but you would be able to show this on a test.

Mark
Old 12-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Steve

When you look at it you have picked up 10 to 15 ftlb for the cost of the intercooler, but when you look at the cost it would have been to add that amount to your car before it would have been more than that.

Mark
Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by polly_x
Rod, how do you know that it can cope with 1000bhp?

And cope with what under what conditions? There are a few theoretical things required to get 1000BHP so I dont understand the relevance of quoting a BHP figure?

That is how Garratt rate them. It is a strange way of measuring things at first glance, but something people can easily relate to. They base the figure on the volume of air (eg 100lb for 100bhp) the core can flow without significant pressure drop occuring.

Rick
Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rick
That is how Garratt rate them. It is a strange way of measuring things at first glance, but something people can easily relate to. They base the figure on the volume of air (eg 100lb for 100bhp) the core can flow without significant pressure drop occuring.

Rick
Correct but we would always under rate the hp so a 1000hp+engine would get a 1200hp core, we are pushing Rods close to what they say and is showing it is coping with no issuses.

Mark
Old 12-11-2010, 04:18 PM
polly_x

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
When myself and Pete set about the design of his new intercooler the way the pipes enter and exit the core was a concern as I have always had thoughts of bad flow with the 500style core,
When you look at yours the air will always choose the path of least resistance so pointing the inlet like yours will always make this happen and then some of the air will then go down the core where the bumper hies is so no real cooling and the bottom IMO is always stale air so the whole core is not being used correctly,
It was decided to top feed as the core was shorter and have the core in as much air as poss, So IMO top feeding improves flow and the shorter core improves the airflow across it as the bumper is not making it a interheater,
Also the internal volume is massivly more than the Spec r so you would be able to log this on a boost recovery graph on gear change whether someone would notice this is down to them but you would be able to show this on a test.

Mark
Mark perhaps you could answer my question above about rating a cooler by BHP it can cope with?

Also, I think I know why but can you explain the technical reason for wanting to speed the air up as it exits the cooler and the effect this has on air leaving the compressor, entering the cooler and whilst in the cores?

One last thing. Your theory about the air entering on a 500 cooler above. Apply that to a top entry like yours and I would expect a larger volume of air to fire straight to the bottom on the core giving the same fast moving and stale air scenario you talked about above?

I understand how tapering would help avoid this but have you actually tested differing tapers to ensure even flow?

I can see for myself that the spec-r works well and appears to be proven but genuinely interested in the workings etc.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by polly_x
Mark perhaps you could answer my question above about rating a cooler by BHP it can cope with?
See my post above.

Also, I think I know why but can you explain the technical reason for wanting to speed the air up as it exits the cooler and the effect this has on air leaving the compressor, entering the cooler and whilst in the cores?
Faster moving air creates a lower pressure. You effectively increase the pressure ratio the compressor is working at.

I'll let Mark explain his design philosophy.

Rick
Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 PM
polly_x

Originally Posted by Rick

Rick

I get that but do they not rate the core on volume of air it can cool or sustain a temp to given an input temp and constant cooling temp over the core?

Its great to know it can flow enough air to support upto a certain BHP figure but if its not cooling anything whats the point?

The extractor hood on my cooker can probably flow as much air as the garrett core but that dont make it any good as an intercooler?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

OOps, posting at the same time...

The cooling capacity is a funtion of the temperature gradient and the intercoolers efficiency. Efficiency is difficult to work out for all circumstances, so difficult to advertise.

Garrett's thinking is their core can flow 100lb of air. It doesn't matter how hot it is, 100lb is 100lb and it is the mass that dictates power output.

Rick
Old 12-11-2010, 04:32 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't the fact rods car runs nitrous to make 1000hp have a huge impact on the act's anyway ?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
Doesn't the fact rods car runs nitrous to make 1000hp have a huge impact on the act's anyway ?
We are pushing 880bhp with the latest GTX42 Turbo change & will be doing a Topspeed off Nitrous very shortly. Can then report how it coped & if the WI really is redundant.
Forget the Nitrous at this time its not been used for almost 5 years.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:55 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool, look forward to the results, btw I am not doubting either product, just felt that to make 1000hp the i/c isn't the only thing bringing the act's down
Old 12-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without reading the whole thread, is the Radtec intercooler shit?
Old 12-11-2010, 06:09 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

No it's not shit just out of it's depth @ 400+

But a good cheap cooler tho
Old 12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

I have the Radtec and it's fine, mind you as said, i'm only doing 380bhp...on my ICKLE T34.....
Old 12-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm over 500bhp, so now is it shit?

Quick Reply: Intercooler Test (Pics added Page 10)