General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cossie vs 911 turbo (lesson learnt lol!)

Search this Thread

Old 18-08-2010, 05:36 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cozy777
lol come on you lot once my cars ready i'll bloody arrange a track day and lets see i have faith!!!

PS - I will be at the nurburgring on 9th Sep - 12th Sep - feel free to come along and prove me wrong!

JJ
Old 18-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you do anything in paticular to the car before the ring mate, i wanna go in the M5 as soon as i can afford it and get a few people together!
Old 18-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Blimey !!

Great thread, see lots of facts quoted - Porsche are incredible, Cossies are shite any one who spends loads on a Cossie is retarded according to one punter in my case hes probably right.

We dont all like the same women & its much the same with cars . Porsche's do nothing for me much the same as a Skyline but i dont knock them but would not want one. Would not swop my old girl for any Porsche thats for sure unless its worth more & then i would sell it .

We are in a minority likeing fast cars - If my Missus was Choosing between a Porsche a Corsa or a BMW Mini, the Porsche would not make the short list , we must remember this when a thread like this dismisses anyone who dont agree as stupid or retarded because they dont rate a Porsche.

Im prepared to race any Porsche at the discipline mine was built for, one or two would beat it but i would shake their hands & say well done, not sell up or hang my head in shame or race out & buy one .
Old 18-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

rod you are comparing the fastest cosworth in the world are you not.

Bit different to a standard one. or a 400hp one that would still lose to a chipped 911 turbo.
Old 18-08-2010, 05:57 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
Do you do anything in paticular to the car before the ring mate, i wanna go in the M5 as soon as i can afford it and get a few people together!
Hi fella, I took my M5 to the ring, and it was just brilliant! Back to its home turf!!!

All you need to do is make sure she is ship shape, and in good service. My only warning is that my M5 did try to overheat when I was particularly exhuberant! This was solved by turning AC off, and not tailgating people in Lotus Elises!

Good tyres, and good service, and on a car like the M5, you should have no other bothers at all - the Traction control WILL piss you off though - it cuts in just way to early on the M5 (due to the massive wall of Torque I always liked to think!)

There are always people going to the ring, and I usually go twice a year. You would be more than welcome to join us on this or a future trip

@Rod -

I dont think those of us with Porsches are denying their weaknesses. Most every Porsche owner on this forum that I have seen are all ex-cossie owners, and all have soft spots for the good old blue oval (else we wouldnt be here!) - I think we just get a little riled up by claims that the 350bhp brigade are going to "easily beat a 996tt".

I dont think any of the porsche owners have suggested that they would be fit in standard form to take your cossie on in your chosen field (ie speed). I dont think that any inferred this was the case (not the posts that I have read, though I freely admit I try to phase out much of the nonsense).

That said, I say now as I have said before, my current standard 996TT was more than a match for my 400 odd bhp cossie in every discipline. It was claims to the contrary of this that rose me to react combined with claims that porsches handled "like they have two flat tyres!"

Mind you - it is threads like this that make Passionford still worth attending By now on most otherforums, the kill-joy squad would have reprimanded the op for racing, and refused to condone the forum with any other squad. Sadly, many porsche owners are cocks!

JJ
Old 18-08-2010, 06:00 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I ever get another cosworth it would get taken to 350 bhp and left at that, a fast enjoyable And reliable car , in the same way with simple bolt on mods a 996 can be taken to 550 bhp and be totaly reliable.
Old 18-08-2010, 06:15 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

As much as i love my cossie,id get rid and get a GT3 in a heartbeat and wouldn't look back once,if i could afford one lol.
Old 18-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

[QUOTE=JjCoDeX75;5051476]There are always people going to the ring, and I usually go twice a year. You would be more than welcome to join us on this or a future trip [QUOTE]

careful I might just take you up on that. Its just had inspection 2 with new mafs but needs a new clutch before i do anything.
Old 18-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by NEIL A
If I ever get another cosworth it would get taken to 350 bhp and left at that, a fast enjoyable And reliable car , in the same way with simple bolt on mods a 996 can be taken to 550 bhp and be totaly reliable.
the reason why i want one so bad!
Old 18-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NEIL A
Again out of the box I would recon the cos would get murdered even by an older 964 which was the last of the real tail happy cars ,
Just for interest, when the Sapphire 2wd was launched Car mag used to set lap times for all the fast stuff down at Combe ( pre chicanes in those days so a faster track ).

Gavin Green, who's quite handy behind the wheel, used to do the laps and set a 1:16.7, literally just a whisker behind the E28 M5 ( 286bhp version ) and the 231bhp 911 Carrera. Beat the 944 Turbo , Renault GTA and Lotus Esprit Turbo of the time.

Earlier that car managed 143mph on the Millbrook bowl (about right for a standard car so if it was tweaked it wasn't by much )

Sadly the 964 Turbo wasn't around at the time the Sapphire was launched so I've never seen a comparison test of the comparative rwd versions.

Generally the Porsche and Sierra don't get compared in the magazines of the times as they were from such different buyer's markets but when 4wd versions of performance cars started to become available in 1990, Fast Lane took an Audi Quattro 20V ( 220bhp ), Sapphire 4wd ( 220bhp ) and a 911 Carrera 4 Cabrio ( not sure if the cabrio was the only press car 4wd version that was available but it seems a strange choice ) - 250bhp, down to the South of France. In extremely un-scientific testing they noted that the Porsche would pull away on the straights but in the twistier sections it would struggle to keep up with the Audi/ Ford. Not really a fair comparison as it was a heavy/floppy soft-top though.

Anyway, personally, having had a quick go in a 996 Turbo down at Avon Park I'm under no illusions that my Sapphire would be anywhere near - the brakes on the Porsche impressed me nearly as much as the power delivery.

Nice to see good examples of either on the road

Carry on...........
Old 18-08-2010, 07:46 PM
focus 4x4
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just found some pictures of my old black 996 turbo! ;o)

Old 18-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Focus 4x4, that does look sweet.............
Old 18-08-2010, 07:55 PM
focus 4x4
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Mal.
Focus 4x4, that does look sweet.............
Far and away the best car ive ever owned.
Old 18-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recognise that plate! would that of ever been at porsche colchester for some reason?
Old 18-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
rod you are comparing the fastest cosworth in the world are you not.

Bit different to a standard one. or a 400hp one that would still lose to a chipped 911 turbo.
No im not ... im saying that different people like different cars, this thread suggests we are idiots if we dont think a Porsche is the best car on the planet, well a Porsche would not be in my top 50 but a 1936 Morris 8 would & is probably my next purchase. Ive a fast car already so the only box a Porsche ticks dont cut it with me. If i was younger & still in the market for a mini Supercar it would be an Audi R8.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Focus 4x4 that is awesome!
Old 18-08-2010, 08:11 PM
focus 4x4
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Maria.
I recognise that plate! would that of ever been at porsche colchester for some reason?
Good spot , you may well have seen it floating about colchester OPC. I know/knew a couple of guys in parts/service.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:12 PM
COSSY DALE
msd tooned 380+ bhp

just to verify the porsche that i talked about at the begining of this thread was a brand new 997 version of the 911 turbo,just incase anyone was wondering!
still cant believe how much interest this thread has generated lol!
7 pages jesus!

Last edited by COSSY DALE; 18-08-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MadRod
No im not ... im saying that different people like different cars, this thread suggests we are idiots if we dont think a Porsche is the best car on the planet, well a Porsche would not be in my top 50 but a 1936 Morris 8 would & is probably my next purchase. Ive a fast car already so the only box a Porsche ticks dont cut it with me. If i was younger & still in the market for a mini Supercar it would be an Audi R8.
Rod its 100K isnt it, We are talking about a 30K second hand car, its nearly obtainable for a lot of people on here.

Its not that im saying people that dont think a porsche is good are idiots.

What i am saying is that people that think a standard saff is a better performance car than a standard 996 turbo are on cloud cookoo land.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:14 PM
focus 4x4
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by COSSY DALE
just to verify the porsche that i talked about at the begining of this thread was a brand new 997 version of the 911 turbo,just incase anyone was wondering!
still cant believe how much interest this thread has generated lol!
7 pages jesus!
Mate, the new 997 in insane! amazing car!
Old 18-08-2010, 08:20 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75
Chartered Building Surveyor in my case - commercial property consultancy.

Mind you - I couldnt afford it at 25 either if it is any help!

I understand that others spend their money on kids - I chose a car! Mind you - the wife may have other ideas eventually

JJ
ahh the word chartered does explain it but as i read through this thread more and more peeps are looking to buy 911 turbos and sell the RS, what have you people been thinking all this time? if you had the cash to buy a turbo'd porsche what the hell were you doing driving around in an old RS for so long? lol

i've been out in a 996 turbo X50, that thing was crazy fast and the brakes were even more impressive

Last edited by cheeky dog; 18-08-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:24 PM
focus 4x4
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by cheeky dog
ahh, that does explains it but as i read through this thread more and more peeps are looking to buy 911 turbos and sell the RS, what have you people been thinking all this time? if you had the cash to buy a turbo'd porsche what the hell were you doing driving around in an old RS for so long? lol

i've been out in a 996 turbo X50, that thing was crazy fast and the brakes were even more impressive
LOL - youre not wrong pal , tho i found standard turbo brakes (big reds) werent the best, hopefully the X50 you went out in had the ceramic upgrades fitted ;o)
Old 18-08-2010, 08:32 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

hmmm in pretty sure my mate said the x50 had upgraded brakes, dont know if he meant from factory or aftermarket though. Bearing in mind compared to my old jap cars even stock brakes on one of those would feel super

Last edited by cheeky dog; 18-08-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:35 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ahh the word chartered does explain it but as i read through this thread more and more peeps are looking to buy 911 turbos and sell the RS, what have you people been thinking all this time? if you had the cash to buy a turbo'd porsche what the hell were you doing driving around in an old RS for so long? lol

It took a while for the prices to get down to a level I could contemplate! - dont let the freefall that has happened over the last couple of years fool you - when I bought mine, they were only just dipping below the Ł50k mark for tidy ones .

I did love my old cossie as well - I eventually sold it due to the fact that every time I went to the ring, another part would fail! (and I can assure you - it wasnt due to a lack of money being thrown at it) It just got tiresome after a while, and I went in search of a reliable alternative...

@Ebonycossie4x4 - you would be more than welcome to join us, mate

JJ
Old 18-08-2010, 08:37 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hmmm in pretty sure my mate said the x50 had upgraded brakes, dont know if he meant from factory or aftermarket though. Bearing in mind compared to my old jap cars even stock brakes on one of those would feel super
Turbo brakes are good, the GT3 six pots fitted to mine are even better
Old 18-08-2010, 08:40 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My Porsche is nearly 3 years old and has never missed a beat touch wood....

Mike
Old 18-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

lol saw this thread at the start and chuckled, knew it would turn into this. And for what its worth, i took my bosses 996 carrera round the block the other day, pretty damn quick, nice car, bit agricultural if im honest, bit noisy, rattly etcetc.

Have been in a 380 brake cos that pulled away (not just a bull shit traffic light race), long straight road onto a motor way. However! i have also been in a fairly fast motor trying to egg on a 996 turbo, when he finally bit the bullet and gave it... it just went, vanished was bastard fast. And looking at pics on the net etc the turbo seems to be the far superior car in terms of interior etc too.

Not saying a cosworth couldn't keep up with one, or even be faster but frankly they are two incredibly different cars.

Rob,
Old 18-08-2010, 08:47 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Turbo brakes are good, the GT3 six pots fitted to mine are even better
did the x50 come with upgraded brakes?

We went shakespeare raceway last summer and he got a 12.0secs 1/4 mile cant remember @ what speed he crossed the line tho.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by focus 4x4
Good spot , you may well have seen it floating about colchester OPC. I know/knew a couple of guys in parts/service.
ah haaa!! I work there so probably know who youre on about!

Originally Posted by focus 4x4
Mate, the new 997 in insane! amazing car!
Agreed! the Gen 2 911 Turbo is just incredible... the Turbo S is even better! 0-62mph in 2.9seconds!!!
Old 18-08-2010, 08:54 PM
COSSY DALE
msd tooned 380+ bhp

focus 4x4
fully agree the 997 i have mentioned in this thread was insane mate,the raw power & the noise it generated on full chat was mental ,then like i previously stated it just fooked off & there was no catching the thing.
all i can say is it made my saff cos feel quite slow & more like a standard one in comparison,even though i know my saff is a quick car & i know its just in my head now lol!
ive owned my saff cos now for around 7 years now,firstly having around 260 bhp,then around 300 bhp & has now been about 350 bhp for the past 5 yrs on an msd set up.
since i have had the 350 bhp set up i have been more than happy with the cars performance & felt that i have quite a fast car & everyone i ever take out in the car say the same that its quick, iam very much used to the cars power now obviously after 5 years & my future plans for her was & still is to go back to msd for there 380+ bhp conversion as i feel this would make the car more exciting to me now & be more than enough of a package for the road
but it is very hard to know where to draw the line with the cossie on power because there just so addictive & before u know it u have got used to the package u have on it at the time & u want more out of it lol!
like now being one of those times lol , cause she has been put in her place which is usually very rare,its a love hate relationship im afraid with the cossie!
Old 18-08-2010, 08:56 PM
rs-tuner
Advanced PassionFord User

PS - I will be at the nurburgring on 9th Sep - 12th Sep - feel free to come along and prove me wrong!

JJ
i will be there at the same time

and obversely i will piss all over your shitty beetle in my seat leon
Old 18-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Old 18-08-2010, 09:28 PM
mark r
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J1mbo
wtf ^

i dont think you understand, that porche did 222mph in 1.7 miles and stopped, throw 100k at a cossie and it aint gonna do it ! ask rod !

is that what u think rods thrown at his cossie 100k?

ask him i remmember from the 5th gear programme they said hed done 40k so far getting it to 200mph
Old 18-08-2010, 10:15 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cool!!! Dont be a stranger, chap! My car is as per my signature - reg D9 JAJ! Come and say hi! I will keep an eye out for your leon (if I can keep up )

Hope to see you for beer! We are there from thursday through till sat night

JJ

Originally Posted by rs-tuner
i will be there at the same time

and obversely i will piss all over your shitty beetle in my seat leon
Old 18-08-2010, 10:17 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

did the x50 come with upgraded brakes?

We went shakespeare raceway last summer and he got a 12.0secs 1/4 mile cant remember @ what speed he crossed the line tho.

Hi fella - no, the X50 was a performance engine upgrade only, but many specified it with the optional Carbon Ceramics as well.

Slightly confusingly, the Turbo S 996 did come with both the X50 engine upgrade and the ceramics as standard. this was a late model last of the line jobbie, where porsche chucked all of the options on it prior to bringing out the 997 turbo.

HTH

JJ
Old 18-08-2010, 10:25 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For the guy that asked why the guys with porsches use to mess about with cosworth , well I for one always dreamd of an escort cosworth and when I got one,then modded it up to a decent spec( on my phone so not going to list it ) then kept on throwing cash at the car . I then decided that it realy wasn't worth it so split my car for around half the build cost and put the money towards a 996 turbo and have never looked back. Only problem is it looks like the mod bug has not gone :-(.

Last edited by NEIL A; 18-08-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 18-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mark r
is that what u think rods thrown at his cossie 100k?

ask him i remmember from the 5th gear programme they said hed done 40k so far getting it to 200mph
What he is saying is that Rod, who has come closer to 222mph than anyone else, will agree that 100K on a YB wont build you a reliable car that can get there.
Old 18-08-2010, 10:50 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

these are the times from an old 30 - 130 event

Simon Norris - Evo9SWB - 6.19
Porsche 911 Turbo (X50) - 13.44

Porsche 911 GT3 - 15.73
Ferrari 360 - 16.14
Skyline GTR32 - 20.01
Monaro - 33.91
Honda Accord Type R - 40.64

is it the x50 were talking about here ?
Old 18-08-2010, 10:53 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
these are the times from an old 30 - 130 event

Simon Norris - Evo9SWB - 6.19
Porsche 911 Turbo (X50) - 13.44
Porsche 911 GT3 - 15.73
Ferrari 360 - 16.14
Skyline GTR32 - 20.01
Monaro - 33.91
Honda Accord Type R - 40.64

is it the x50 were talking about here ?
I think the OP said it was a 997TT that he came across. that being the case, they are quicker than the 996TT X50.

Impressive time from Simon Norris's evo though - jesus!!!!!

JJ
Old 18-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Rods is about 8 for that metric IIRC

Quick Reply: Cossie vs 911 turbo (lesson learnt lol!)