General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone know done a timing belt on a ecotec? Tensioner issues

Search this Thread

Old 14-06-2010, 07:40 PM
steve252
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know done a timing belt on a ecotec? Tensioner issues

the issue ive got is with this type:

basically you need to use a 6mm allan bolt to "untension" it so the lil arrow is all the way right. however when you do this you actually tension the the tension at the same time (as it has a tensioning system on the bolt)

so the bloody thing stays in the same place and doesnt do either....

im starting to loath this car so any helps greatly appreciated as its gotta be something IM doing wrong as surely vauxhall cant have ****ed up on this...

im starting to think about setting this car on fire and buying another car, ****ing shity vauxhalls
Old 14-06-2010, 07:55 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

undoing the nut will take the tension off, you only turn it with the allen key to tension it! on some models you will also need to loosen the waterpump and rotate that to let off more tension
shite idea really and its no wonder they fail so often
Old 14-06-2010, 08:00 PM
wayne dowling
Regular Contributor

You use the allenkey hole to tension the belt then lock it off with the torx bolt mat hope this helps you shouldnt need to use the allenkey to slacken it off as it will be on a spring and when you relese the torx bolt it will relese the tensioner
Old 14-06-2010, 08:00 PM
steve252
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by botters
undoing the nut will take the tension off, you only turn it with the allen key to tension it! on some models you will also need to loosen the waterpump and rotate that to let off more tension
shite idea really and its no wonder they fail so often
the actual tensioner is designed to provide full tension on the belt rather adding tension to it, so you have to remove the tension.

i cant get the belt on mate
Old 15-06-2010, 11:08 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just done one on a X22XE, engine(ecotec), as you say bloody nightmare, crap design, fortunately I was doing a w/pump on at same time(and advise you do ?), I left off one of the idler wheels at the side, around base of head area, then gently levered on, worked for me with lots of swearing thrown in.
tabetha
Old 16-06-2010, 07:27 PM
richard youll
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i do these on a daily basis, fit all pullys as normal, leave tensioner bolt loose, fit belt and leave off on the inlet cam, now here is the tricky bit to explain, the pointer is an indicator of tension, the tensioner on these constantly apply pressure to belt as it wears, so with the pointer in the position it is in it has actually applied all of its tension, so just get your finger on the pointer and move it fully backwards, this effectively slackens the belt, so it gives you the ness. amount of belt to just slide it onto the inley pully, then turn you allen key so the pointer lines up and tighten tensioner bolt, most of the time the tensioner bolt rounds off coz there shit so i use a different bolt that i stock just for these!!
Old 16-06-2010, 08:30 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
I just done one on a X22XE, engine(ecotec), as you say bloody nightmare, crap design, fortunately I was doing a w/pump on at same time(and advise you do ?), I left off one of the idler wheels at the side, around base of head area, then gently levered on, worked for me with lots of swearing thrown in.
tabetha
Did you replace the timing chain tabetha? Or was it just the waterpump?

Heard these have a habit of snapping after 60k
Old 17-06-2010, 06:18 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chain ?, no it was a a series "B" frontera(T reg), which uses a belt on me dads fronty, I think that is the engine code but may be wrong as not relaly used to vaux's, it is a 2.2 and says ecotec on the cover.
I did the BELT/tensioners/idler etc and water pump, as history was a bit scant, as it happened the "old" belt had by the looks just been done, but without knowing for sure played safe.
I just do the belts every 25,000 or 3 years which ever is first.
tabetha
Old 17-06-2010, 06:36 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah my mistake thought you'd done the 2.2 out of the Vec B, Astra.