General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

help! live socket under bath!

Search this Thread

Old 31-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! live socket under bath!

just been putting some of the finishing touches to the bathroom at the flat where my girlfriend and i live, and having removed the side panel on the bath so we can decide whether it will be me or a professional plumber fitting the new mixer tap i have discovered what is most definitely a live (have VERY carefully tested it) double socket on the exterior wall next to the outlet for the bath and also the tap and obviously the pipes feeding the bath. at least this explains the massive amount of sealant that was used at that end of the panel!

will post photos in a minute but i'm seriously concerned about this situation. my better half is not worried at all. anyone got any advice? sensible please.. obviously not washing is a given and i can live with that and am (if i'm honest) feeling pretty lucky to have avoided electrocution until now.

need to get this sorted asap as i'm moving out in a few days to make room for my girlfriend's dad who will be over here for a month!

so much for finishing touches!!!
Old 31-10-2009, 06:53 PM
steves24V's
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice i take it its a flat in a converted house or something not purpose built block.
Old 31-10-2009, 06:54 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

wiil probably be on a ring so probably find the socket thats feeding it and disconnect the socket from the ring.

cheers james
Old 31-10-2009, 07:01 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you have an RCD protected dis board?
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by james kiely
wiil probably be on a ring so probably find the socket thats feeding it and disconnect the socket from the ring.

cheers james
he can't just disconnect it cos it'll need to be re-joined to complete the ring again, like has bee said above is it a converted house or a proper purpose built flat, if it's a house and it's upstairs it's going to be the easiest to fix cos the wiring should go into the loft, i can instruct you on the best thing to do but not without more info on where it is and what type of building also how many SET'S i.e red black or brown and blue wires are going into it, if it's just one set of wires find a socket that is close to it and you should find 3 sets inside that socket one will be feeding it the other 2 will be for the ring, that's about all i can do to help atm without more info
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by steves24V's
Nice i take it its a flat in a converted house or something not purpose built block.

spot on
Old 31-10-2009, 07:03 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Had a similar thing.

Ripped out the bath, and found a bare live six inches from the tap pipework under the bath.

Scary stuff....
Old 31-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by danneth
do you have an RCD protected dis board?
think so. board was replaced when we did the kitchen a year or so ago
Old 31-10-2009, 07:05 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Had a similar thing.

Ripped out the bath, and found a bare live six inches from the tap pipework under the bath.

Scary stuff....
it makes you wonder what monkeys do this, it is scary stuff it's basic common sense as well witch is more worrying.
Old 31-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
he can't just disconnect it cos it'll need to be re-joined to complete the ring again, like has bee said above is it a converted house or a proper purpose built flat, if it's a house and it's upstairs it's going to be the easiest to fix cos the wiring should go into the loft, i can instruct you on the best thing to do but not without more info on where it is and what type of building also how many SET'S i.e red black or brown and blue wires are going into it, if it's just one set of wires find a socket that is close to it and you should find 3 sets inside that socket one will be feeding it the other 2 will be for the ring, that's about all i can do to help atm without more info

we're downstairs unfortunately and ripping up the floor in the hallway between the bathroom and the fuseboard isn't an option really. cost a fortune and is very well fixed down!

photos will be in a sec but not opened the socket yet.
Old 31-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

pics...

Old 31-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

it makes you wonder what monkeys do this, it is scary stuff it's basic common sense as well witch is more worrying.
believe me... i'm far from an expert but even i know this is plain wrong!
Old 31-10-2009, 07:10 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

wants the front taking off, crimping through and a blank plate on it
Old 31-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

that makes sense... dunno about the crimping but would one of those round junction boxes (if that's what they're called) do the job?

surely got to be better than what's there?
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

is the floor underneath floorboards?
if it is you could just pull the cables out of the box in the wall and drop it into the floor and wire it into an outside socket(watertight)
or as above, take the faceplate off, put it in a terminal strip, tape it up, put a blanking plate on and silicone the edges on
or as u said, jb it under the floor

Last edited by stu21t; 31-10-2009 at 07:17 PM.
burnzy
burnzy

i'll have fingers crossed for you that there is only 1 wire in the socket cos getting the floor upstairs is about the only proper option that or put a hole in the cieling with a big hole cutter find the 2 cables going behind the plaster down the wall cut them in the ceiling and use a plastic junction box to connect the 2 wires back together again to complete the ring then get the piece of plaster board that come out with the cutter put a piece of wood above the hole screw it through the ceiling so it solid then screw the cut out piece back where the hole is and then a little bit of filler and a lick of paint to cover it all up, it'll be the least hassle way of removing the socket completely you can just cut the cables out the socket box and fill it in and leave the cables behind the plaster.

i'm presuming it's plastered walls and boarded cielings, not lath and plaster, or plaster board walls
Old 31-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

will reply properly in a minute... gonna get a couple of pics of the inside i think.

no more michael jackson biography for the better half! lol
Old 31-10-2009, 07:18 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Markb_s1
that makes sense... dunno about the crimping but would one of those round junction boxes (if that's what they're called) do the job?

surely got to be better than what's there?

no i junction box wouldn't be much use unless it could be put under the floor, as said if its crimped through in the backbox with a blank plate on im pretty sure it would be watertight touch of the old silicon to make sure, you do have RCD protection anyhow
Old 31-10-2009, 07:18 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

had something similar when I recently ripped out our kitchen, found a socket in the cupboard directly underneath the kitchen sink, with the cooker plugged into it.

The previous owner had only had the kitchen fitted a few years ago, the socket was like brand new

Scary how the monkeys that fit these have no common sense
Old 31-10-2009, 07:19 PM
burnzy
burnzy

wants the front taking off, crimping through and a blank plate on it
or that would do tbh but i'd deffo go round the blanking plate with some silicone just to make water tight, this would be the least hassle way of doing it but i'd always reckon to have it completely removed just depends on how much time you have to get it sorted.
Old 31-10-2009, 07:19 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

meant to say you could use one of those outdoor waterproof junction boxes to cap the wiring off, they sell them in screwfix, b&q etc fro about a tenner.
Old 31-10-2009, 07:25 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by PAUL S
meant to say you could use one of those outdoor waterproof junction boxes to cap the wiring off, they sell them in screwfix, b&q etc fro about a tenner.
the grommets to make it water tight might be just for flex as it's used more on outdoor apps, so might not work very well with twin and earth, have to admit danneth's idea with the crimping would be the easiest fix.
Old 31-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

apparently whoever is responsible for this mess also thought silicone would solve all problems. i can't get the face plate off the socket because it's basically been stuck to the wall with the stuff.

the left screw comes out ok but because the other one is further behind the bath i can't get a good sized screwdriver in there to undo it. the lack of space and excess of sealant is proving to be a bit of a bitch to say the least.

i may be being over cautious but even with the ring main switched off (unsurprisingly it's the one for every power outlet in the flat bar the kitchen which has its own with extra fat cabling due to the current draw of the oven/hob) i don't much fancy the idea of prying the socket off the wall.
Old 31-10-2009, 07:39 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

plug something into the socket, sensible like a radio or the like
turn it on
go to the fuse panel and start to turn the circuits off
when you have found the right one, make sure it's kept off
then do what has been suggested above and use a blanking plate and a waterproof fitting for out door use and fit it in place of the existing plug

if it were me though, i'd be making sure that the wiring to the plug was chansed etc as i think the likelyhood is that it's going to be spurred off another socket rather than on the main ring
Old 31-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stu21t
is the floor underneath floorboards?
if it is you could just pull the cables out of the box in the wall and drop it into the floor and wire it into an outside socket(watertight)
or as above, take the faceplate off, put it in a terminal strip, tape it up, put a blanking plate on and silicone the edges on
or as u said, jb it under the floor

partly floorboards, yes but we chucked some laminate down on top which runs perpendicular to the floorboards so would have to rip the lot up. it wouldn't be the end of the world if that was required but i can't get the fecking faceplate off!
Old 31-10-2009, 07:40 PM
dojj

apparently whoever is responsible for this mess also thought silicone would solve all problems. i can't get the face plate off the socket because it's basically been stuck to the wall with the stuff.

the left screw comes out ok but because the other one is further behind the bath i can't get a good sized screwdriver in there to undo it. the lack of space and excess of sealant is proving to be a bit of a bitch to say the least.

i may be being over cautious but even with the ring main switched off (unsurprisingly it's the one for every power outlet in the flat bar the kitchen which has its own with extra fat cabling due to the current draw of the oven/hob) i don't much fancy the idea of prying the socket off the wall.
wait till the morning
go to b&q
get what oyu need
do the job properly
don't fuck about doing hal a job now and then suffer all night
Old 31-10-2009, 07:40 PM
dojj

when oyu've got what you need, smash the cunty thing off with a hammer, obviously makig sure the power to it has been switched off at the mains
Old 31-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i'll have fingers crossed for you that there is only 1 wire in the socket cos getting the floor upstairs is about the only proper option that or put a hole in the cieling with a big hole cutter find the 2 cables going behind the plaster down the wall cut them in the ceiling and use a plastic junction box to connect the 2 wires back together again to complete the ring then get the piece of plaster board that come out with the cutter put a piece of wood above the hole screw it through the ceiling so it solid then screw the cut out piece back where the hole is and then a little bit of filler and a lick of paint to cover it all up, it'll be the least hassle way of removing the socket completely you can just cut the cables out the socket box and fill it in and leave the cables behind the plaster.

i'm presuming it's plastered walls and boarded cielings, not lath and plaster, or plaster board walls

wish i knew how many wires!

i have to admit i'm a bit confused by your reply though.... the wall the socket is on is exterior brick wall of a victorian house. the bathroom has one other original brick wall and the rest is studwall - plasterboard then skimmed and then half tiled/half wallpaper.
Old 31-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
plug something into the socket, sensible like a radio or the like
turn it on
go to the fuse panel and start to turn the circuits off
when you have found the right one, make sure it's kept off
then do what has been suggested above and use a blanking plate and a waterproof fitting for out door use and fit it in place of the existing plug

if it were me though, i'd be making sure that the wiring to the plug was chansed etc as i think the likelyhood is that it's going to be spurred off another socket rather than on the main ring
already identified the circuit mate... it's the ring main for the whole flat bar the kitchen.
Old 31-10-2009, 07:48 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

stubby driver needed !
Old 31-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
when oyu've got what you need, smash the cunty thing off with a hammer, obviously makig sure the power to it has been switched off at the mains

must admit that's looking like the way forward. not touching it tonight and there will be no running water in the bathroom until this is sorted.

gonna relax with a beer tonight, then flick the big red switch to the off position in the morning and give it a beating if that's what it takes. as long as i can sort it by monday night then it's all good.

on a slightly smug note, this bodge job really is a serious problem if the replies are anything to go by!

thanks for all the advice folks. hopefully when i do get the face plate off the wiring won't look like the disaster i found in the dining room light!
wish i could find the person or people that did this!
Old 31-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

stubby driver needed !
but sadly not available!

gonna chill and leave it tonight and attack tomorrow morning.
i will win... by any means necessary!
Old 31-10-2009, 07:52 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

try to avoid smashing it off as you may need to keep the backbox if you cant get to the cable from under the floor, shame im not closer would have sorted it you by now
Old 31-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slightly off topic but get some earth bonding on those pipes too, as they dont appear to have any at the moment
Old 31-10-2009, 08:01 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I would leave it, as it is nicely positioned to be able to plug a bar heater into to keep the bathroom nice and worm in the winter

only joking that would seriously worry me, if that is what the previous owners were willing to do what the hell is the rest of the electrics like, for piece of mind I would get the rest of the electrics tested,
A small price to pay for safety and piece of mind.
Old 31-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

try to avoid smashing it off as you may need to keep the backbox if you cant get to the cable from under the floor, shame im not closer would have sorted it you by now
appreciate the thought!thanks.

now i'm not folding myself up on the bathroom floor it seems obvious that i should be as gentle as possible... however, the thing is coming off tomorrow morning.
i was close to losing my temper with it tonight (stupid i know!) hence the decision to take a break from the problem.
Old 31-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Red16
Slightly off topic but get some earth bonding on those pipes too, as they dont appear to have any at the moment
thanks for the advice... already noticed the lack of earth (believe it or not).
no idea where to bond it to though!
wouldn't be surprised if when the face plate does come off there's no earth in there anyway! the conductor is probably wrapped in cotton old school stylee.
Old 31-10-2009, 08:07 PM
RsDarren
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Location: Dewsbury, The parts were they don't abduct their own children!

I Agree with Dojj!

Do the job properly!

No matter what people say saftey does come first, RCD/RCBO protected or not the right/proffessional thing to do would be to get the front off, chase the cables out and get under them floor into a IP rated Junction Box.

Silicone and a faceplate is just wrong!
Old 31-10-2009, 08:08 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Red16

its not a must as of the 17th edition,
Old 31-10-2009, 08:09 PM
burnzy
burnzy

wish i knew how many wires!

i have to admit i'm a bit confused by your reply though.... the wall the socket is on is exterior brick wall of a victorian house. the bathroom has one other original brick wall and the rest is studwall - plasterboard then skimmed and then half tiled/half wallpaper.
sorry well when you get the face of the socket look witch way the wires go if they go up then they'll go into metal sheeving just behind the plaster against the inside brick work if you get what i mean, then into the ceiling, if they go down they'll go into the floor, being behind the bath though cuttin a hole out wouldn't be too much of a problem to get to the wires, i'll hazard a guess being victorian the ceilings will be lath and plaster making the cutting a hole out useless really cos it'll be a nightmare .

hope i'v atleast helped slightly to get you head round it i can help tmoz but gotta go partyin now so have to leave the world of passionford

Quick Reply: help! live socket under bath!