General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

42 inch plasma

Search this Thread

Old 27-12-2004, 07:03 PM
MURV69
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42 inch plasma

Hi guys I'm thinking of getting a 42 inch plasma does anyone know anything about these For example which makes what to look for what make not to buy. There are a few in the local stores taht are pretty cheap now but not sure if there any good. Sorry I know its not about cars but I thought there might be someone on here who knows a lot more about these than me

Thanks Simon
Old 27-12-2004, 07:08 PM
GaryEvo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

try www.tiny.com

they been advertising on for £999
Old 27-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Dunno what the prices are for 42" plasma's but Sony got their flagship 42" LCD on sale now (still gonna cost ya £6259 tho ) and it is simply gorgeous. It is the smallest 42" I ever seen, in as far as the LCD is floating in between two sheets of glass, and there's no plastic surround or anything. It is just this glass with the screen in it, on a stand (or wall mount) with or without speakers clipped onto the sides (they can clip on the sides or stand on their own)

The quality is just stunning - puts plasma's to shame if you ask me
Old 27-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.prestige-audio.co.uk/home_audio/index.html

try these guyz...had my theatre done by them !!!
Old 27-12-2004, 07:13 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

argos got one i think for 899 in their sale
Old 28-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bob1972
http://www.prestige-audio.co.uk/home_audio/index.html

try these guyz...had my theatre done by them !!!
christ that shit looks expensive

any pics of your theatre install then?
Old 28-12-2004, 02:59 PM
MAD ANDY
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

plenty of cheap 42" plasma's are floating around, problem is some are pretty poor quality.

People are also falling for the trap of the price ie £999 for 42" - so lets go buy one! Only to find that they only have 1 or 2 scart sockets, no TV tuner and no bracket to install on the wall, which usually can cost up to £300!!!

LCD is better than Plasma, and is slowly catching up on screen size, however this is still at a premium as LCD is the thing to have, so if you can wait a year+ then do so and get an LCD, however if you have to have summat now and it has to be 42" on a budget, check out any reviews of the model number on the web and make sure the specification is what you need, as an example, I need at least 3 scart sockets and one AV input (3 scart for Sky, DVD and Video, AV input for digi camcorder) - or do what I did and spent £400 on a second hand £3000+ projector and a new screen and have an 82" screen instead this pic is a comparison between my 32" screen which looks tiny!!!

currently looking at this myself though

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/182974.html

50" DLP (not LCD!) RPTV so slimline, plus its HDTV ready!!! to 1000 lines resolution!!!
Old 28-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Nice screen Andy

Is that your new car mate
Old 28-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Andy good point about tuner and mounting bracket both not cheap You gotta have strong walls cos the fuckers aint light either

girlfs dad has a 42" plasma in front room and a 32 LCD in family room

The Plasma colour and picture is slightly better but LCD much less hassle IMO less gubins

@ work we have 2 42" 's and 2 50" s for the 2 Video Conference systems both with custom crestrons remote control very cool but not cheap

DLP Projectors are smart little toys as well
Old 28-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Fagin
Advanced PassionFord User

As Andy has said, please ensure if you get a Plasma it has all the correct connections on it.

Mine has 2 scarts (one RGB), 2 sets of component inputs (one for HiDef progressive scan), 2 sets of AV, PC RGB input, S-Video and it has a built in tuner (which is pretty useless as I have SKY+).

You have to ensure also that it has a high contrast and brightness ratio's for truer picture definition.

Connect one of these beutys up to either a progressive scan DVD player or Hi-Def on a XBOX and prepare to have your socks blown off!
Old 28-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fagin

Connect one of these beutys up to either a progressive scan DVD player or Hi-Def on a XBOX and prepare to have your socks blown off!
Halo and Whatever that touring car game he has Toca or summit never been so good
Old 28-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

I am dying to upgrade my TV as I only have a 32' Sony Wega at the moment BUT all the Plasmas I have seen look pretty pony picture quality and I have heard loads of stories about the picture quality of normal TV's being better?!?!

Is LCD going to be the way forward for the next 5 years or is there something even better on the horizon? I want at least a 42' screen but I don't want poo quality!
Old 28-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Fagin

Be VERY wary of how much room these things take up (if you are not wall mounting). Mine is 42" but with the glass stand (which also cost up to £500 for a decent one) they do end up taking up a fair bit of room....... the wires as well are also a pain in the ass, especially if you have a Dolby Digital set-up as well.

Just to give you some idea (and my living room is'nt really that small).

Old 28-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Porkie
I am dying to upgrade my TV as I only have a 32' Sony Wega at the moment BUT all the Plasmas I have seen look pretty pony picture quality and I have heard loads of stories about the picture quality of normal TV's being better?!?!

Is LCD going to be the way forward for the next 5 years or is there something even better on the horizon? I want at least a 42' screen but I don't want poo quality!
join the club i have a 28" wega good tellies in there day and depends the size of ya front room thier picture is fine cos your far away from it cos the room is massive but it would be lost and overkill in my place and the fact i doubt my wall would take the weight

I think the major plus between LCD and Plasma is the colour, plasmas colours are so deep and rich

If you want 40" plus go plasma if u want 32" ish go LCD IMO or if you have a wall thats free with no paintings pictures etc maybe a DLP projector but then again they have there down sides light etc

The next big thing is wireless speakers
Old 28-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Fagin

Lee,

Plasma's are fine mate. Go in to a good retailer and get them to hook up a DVD player either by RGB or better still by progressive scan component. If you compare like for like a CRT is always better than LCD or Plasma, but the biggest you can go on that is 36" so you need to make you decision based on what is available.

I'm glad I bought mine as I dithered for about 12 months and had the same worries as you (about picture quality, technology etc), but I did my research and finally bit the bullet. For what I need the screen for my purchase was bang on and I would not of bought anything else.
Old 28-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

You are right... I am dithering!!! but think I am going to wait to see what comes out. I love the picture on mine and I have been in to a few places and viewed some. I was disappointed and even the sony salesman said old tech Tv's are still best piccy.

DON'T LAFF!!! but when I want a bigger screen for the cinema experience.... I just pull my sofa forward It makes the surround sound better as well coz the rears are actually behind you properly! and the rear sides can be moved easily (got 7.1 )
Old 28-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

heres another tip may sound strange pop along to the Ideal Home Exhibition on say the last day and if you like a haggle there are bargins to be had

Thats where Girlfs dad got his and its all good kit speaker DVD Amp etc are all JBL Just cant member the make of the Plasma and it was cheap well not cheap compared to the cost of a normal tv but cheap considering what he got
Old 28-12-2004, 04:14 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I currently have a rear projection 42Inch samsung tv, how do i hook my xbox up then to make use of the hdtv thing i see on the halo box, ie what leads. I currently hook my xbox up using the lead that splits into red white yellow connectors.
Old 28-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Fagin

I may be more than dithered as the other TV the plasma replaced was absolutely fine and now resides in the downstairs shit house..... which has now been unusable since the 33"er was stuck in there!!!

Lee,
You could always buy a pair of stronger glasses to magnify the image!!!

You have 7.1 DD and havent been bothered to set-up the balance and time delay to each speaker yet...... shame on you!!!!
Old 28-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Fagin

Tonyk,

1)You must buy the Microsoft Hi-Def pack, which has to be bought from importers and costs about £40 - DONT buy anything made by anyone else!!!

2)You must get hold of the PAL/NTSC video switcher disk available on the net

3)Change the video on your XBOX to NTSC and then you will have another menu under video options on the MS dashboard. Tick all the Hi-Def options and off you go!
Old 28-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Fagin

P.S.

Take your existing AV lead and burn the foooker..... this output is'nt worth the eletricity that your set is using to display the image! The minimum output used should be RGB Scart, followed by component video, followed by progressive comp video.

Old 28-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Stronger glasses you are a genius!!! I had not thought of that!

You are a man of vision
Old 28-12-2004, 04:31 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers for the info fagin will order this stuff and see how i get on.
Old 28-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Fagin

Either that or borrow the lens out of the Hubble Telescope!!!

Tonyk,
No probs.
Old 28-12-2004, 06:37 PM
MAD ANDY

Lee,

Plasma's are not actually all that, the best plasma to go for is a presentation plasma as they are built for refreshing PC screens of 800x600 or 1024x768 etc compared to DVD 625 so and so, however check this site out for a plasma v lcd quick overview, as you can see, LCD takes 10 out of 13 wins and only just loses out on one because of current LCD screen size, however this is continuing to get bigger and bigger and 45" LCDs are currently available:

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp

The problem I had was spending a few thousand quid and only gaining 10" (32" to 42") hence the reason I would suggest going to a projector instead which allows you to keep what you have now for normal TV and run a pj for quality TV and DVD etc. If you do a search you will often find a lot of project owners are ex-plasma owners who, after seeing the pj in action just had to go for a 4 x 42" plasma screen in one! I have it set up in my average size front room to which is 13.5' x 13.5' as per the image below:

pic with the flash on (and the screen running in 4:3 instead of 16:9 hence the overlap at the top DOH!)
Old 28-12-2004, 06:48 PM
MAD ANDY

Check this out, this guy had this:

then changed to a projector and screen, painted the room with special sound proof paint and then installed special sound reflecting components on the walls to bounce the sound towards you

very nice if you have a dedicated room

This is smart too, this is this guys plasma:

however, check out his projector cinema room

http://www.pauldowning.co.uk/photo.htm

this is cool too, big TVs rule!

Old 28-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Fagin

Sad foookers!!!

(he says in the most jealous voice possible )
Old 28-12-2004, 11:28 PM
MAD ANDY

FPMSL its ok to be jealous as long as you realise these guys have worked long and hard to pay for all that equipment.... the fucking lucky jammy bastards!!
Old 29-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Most Plasma displays have a low picture resolution with around 480 virtical lines Which means when HDTV come along it will be obselete before you have paid for it

Hitatchi make 1024x1024 lines plasmas for reasonable money, I got my 42 inch from here

http://www.discountaudiovision.co.uk....html?dealtime

The picture from an anologue arial sucks donkey

SKY stuff varies from great to sucks donkey.

DVD region 2 is superb and whilst you can get away with region 1 (USA) on a 32inch TV the lack of lines makes for a crap picture when on a 42 inch plasma.

PS don't let your kids near the centre speaker with jam on thier fingers

Mark
Old 29-12-2004, 02:01 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MAD ANDY
Check this out, this guy had this:

very nice
Old 29-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Great info, thanks Andy
Old 29-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Anonymous
Banned

whjilst we on the subject of home AV
does anyone want to buy a set of mission speaker stands similar to the those on the picture above ...they are silver and have spikes on base, they are not light and are very high quaility!!!make me an offer and they are yours!!!
these are not required and havent been used for the last 3 ys!!!
ta
Old 29-12-2004, 01:12 PM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

got a really stupid question about the projectors, do you have to run all the wires up to the projector , how do you plug in the DVD, SKY, VIDEO????

really interested in buying now
Old 29-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

got myself a 44" rear projection, i find the picture top quality, lights on or off in the living room!, thing weighs about 15st tho! which makes it huge and a pain to move, still nice and cheep @ £700 2ish years ago, living room aint the big so seems even bigger than it is

Old 29-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Rob Virgo

Andy ,
nice to see it finished.

porkie ,
if you have the room or even a seperate room look at crt projectors.i got one and am almost finished fitting out the upstairs of my garage.friends and relitives have been getting demos over the last few days and seem well impressed.90" screen and am going to go bigger.
the experts tell us that nothing matchs crt for quaility yet and defo not on picture size.
need to paint room in dark colours for reflections but am slow to do it.
have a look at this site for ideas,its a friends site .

http://www.everyoneshometheater.com/
Old 29-12-2004, 01:29 PM
morcheen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just fitted a 42" panasonic lcd to a customers wall and i thought the picture looked crap,but the 17" one i put on their bedroom wall looked good,how far away from the screen and how far off the ground should a 42" screen be fitted ?
Old 29-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Anonymous
Banned

I got a 90 inch screen at the moe projectors are way good.Racing games are mentel and gta was a blast lol if u want a cheap home cinema kit at a real good price for what u get look at this projector http://www.wedgwood-group.com/epson_..._projector.htm u wont be disapointed real quiet too some are mega loud
Old 29-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Manxlad
Regular Contributor

If i had the choice I'd go for a LCD tv, much sharper picture. Beware Plasma's can be feckin expensive if they go wrong, my boss's did recently and he was quoted a grand to put it right!! He just went and bought a new one (the old was 5yrs old and cost £10 grand when new) but most of us aren't gonna be able to do that
Old 29-12-2004, 02:33 PM
MAD ANDY

Originally Posted by swerv
got a really stupid question about the projectors, do you have to run all the wires up to the projector , how do you plug in the DVD, SKY, VIDEO????

really interested in buying now
not a stupid question at all mate I run one wire to the projector which is a rca type connection, this goes straight back to my RCA visual out on the DVD, however if I want to watch Sky I just put this into a 3-1 scart convertor with an RCA connector and can plug sky, video, even DVD in and just press the 'flick' button depending on what I want to watch, but I choose to run it direct to the DVD when watching DVD just for quality purposes
Old 29-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Warren
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Stuck this on the wall a few weeks ago 32" Tosh LCD

Quick Reply: 42 inch plasma