General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

astra vxr or st3

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:53 PM
showtime
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default astra vxr or st3

hi just joined the forum looking to get either a st or astra vxr as i need 3 seats in the back due to a new arrival. whats the difference between the st2 and st3 and does it have a limited slip diff i like the st as it has a 2.5 litre engine. i will be looking to tune them to 300 plus anyway but the bigger engine is usally stronger. any advice is appreciated

Last edited by Physio; 11-10-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:55 PM
trevorcossie
saffy cossie yes

get a vxr to many sts about or look at the mazda 3 mps ..i have one its the nuts full bose stereo the lot
Old 10-10-2009, 05:22 PM
kris-rs
Regular Contributor

this is a ford forum so its gotta be a st-3
i think either would be a good choice
Old 10-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

depends if you want a car that handles or to pose about saying oooh i got xxx bhp.

VXR has more power but will understeer into the nearest hedge

ST less power but handles better
Old 10-10-2009, 05:31 PM
trevorcossie
saffy cossie yes

st3 got pukka seats and sound immense
Old 10-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Can't get an ST-3 if you need 3 seats in the back as it's only a four seater.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:01 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

mate says st's are known to crack heads or needs thicker liners or something over 300bhp????

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 PM
craigybaby
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

get an st2 Im gonna say this but get an st lol imo i drove a vxr nurburg before i brought mine and prefer the st any day of the week and there are loads of bits for them ive got mine running 304bhp and love it the sound and the looks but one thing i will say are st's are heavy on fuel im currently averaging 19.3 mpg.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Not another comic.Well i hope not.Its gonna have to be a ST3 isnt it.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 AM
3i_gaz
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by trevorcossie
get a vxr to many sts about or look at the mazda 3 mps ..i have one its the nuts full bose stereo the lot
mazda 3 MPS what an immense little car, owuld have one of these over an ST or VXR any day of the week
Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 AM
trevorcossie
saffy cossie yes

Originally Posted by 3i_gaz
mazda 3 MPS what an immense little car, owuld have one of these over an ST or VXR any day of the week
they are mustard .....and rare and quick for a standard car
Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 AM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Astley
Can't get an ST-3 if you need 3 seats in the back as it's only a four seater.
& as the police use the Focus ST, they know that its a 4 seater.

ST2 is the one for you. The only difference between the 2 and 3 is the full leather and sculpted rears.

Andy
Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 AM
mk2rstaff
PassionFord Post Whore!!

st3 all day long but in a subtle colourlike the white or blue
Old 11-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Drunken Master
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Astra VXR - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F2Z9CGVK-8

Fit a Diff and rear roll bar and lowering springs and you've got something much better than an ST

Enough said
Old 11-10-2009, 02:42 PM
turbo_3dr_tommy
Advanced PassionFord User

if it was me i would be getting a Arden blue VXR with keyless entry, push button start, sat nav, piano black interior with the 19's
Old 11-10-2009, 03:00 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Drunken Master

Fit a Diff and rear roll bar and lowering springs and you've got something much better than an ST

Enough said
How much would it cost to have all that done?

As said, the ST3 is only a four seater, so go for ST2, but it's just no contest. Yes the Ashtray is slightly faster, but big woop, doesn't matter how quick it is when it's buried in a ditch
Old 11-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Enough said
But then you are comparing a modified car to a standard one.

Benni.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Drunken Master

Originally Posted by Benni
But then you are comparing a modified car to a standard one.

Benni.
Standard for standard the VXR is a better car, but it can be alot better with a few chosen mods. The car in the video still has standard suspension.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:50 PM
BazW
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by massivewangers
Yes the Ashtray is slightly faster, but big woop, doesn't matter how quick it is when it's buried in a ditch
ever driven one? they handle very well

I work for Ford and I'd still rather take the VXR over the Focus
Old 11-10-2009, 07:21 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Standard for standard the VXR is a better car, but it can be alot better with a few chosen mods. The car in the video still has standard suspension.

no not better, a little quicker but definatly not better..
watch this it should help you decide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeXr50LNJfM

Last edited by mozzy; 11-10-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 PM
turbo_3dr_tommy
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by BazW
ever driven one? they handle very well

I work for Ford and I'd still rather take the VXR over the Focus
i would aswell mate

people go on about when JC took it round the top gear track but that wasnt the final product and had the astra sport suspension not the VXR suspension and my mate has 1 remapped and even that dont torque steer as much as the one on TG

not saying the ST is a bad car but could of been alot better
Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven a vxr and felt it was very quick but i dont like the car in general and nthe handling is not upto to that of the st, they understeer like pigs
Old 11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Drunken Master

Originally Posted by mozzy
I have driven a vxr and felt it was very quick but i dont like the car in general and nthe handling is not upto to that of the st, they understeer like pigs
Such aload of crap, The suspension on the vxr is good its got passive dampers designed by lotus! Don't blame the equipment when it's 10x better than the driver! I've already made my choice no matter what you want to say the ST feels nose heavy and thats something you can't change!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 PM
BazW
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by turbo_3dr_tommy
people go on about when JC took it round the top gear track but that wasnt the final product and had the astra sport suspension not the VXR suspension
I read about that too...they pestered Vauxhall to have a VXR for the show, got an unfinished car then ripped it to bits

If you can't make a VXR go round corners you shouldn't be driving quick cars at all IMHO
Old 11-10-2009, 08:43 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So what we've established is that the only way Vauxhall can produce a car that handles, is to give it to Lotus to fix after they've fucked it up

As for Ford making the ST better. They did, it's called the RS.

I think every review I've ever read about any of these hot hatches puts the Focus above the Astra in terms of handling, with the Golf/Focus seemingly always fighting for top spot. In my experience, Vauxhall are still way behind Ford in the handling stakes. They're more gutsy with producing performance cars though, I will give them that.

Incidentally, although for flat out pace the Astra is quicker, how do torque figures compare? From lower revs, say a pull from 30mph in 3rd/4th, how would they compare? As the five pot in the Focus is quite a grunty engine I would imagine.

I do find it amusing that fitting different springs and roll bars would make the VXR better than the ST. So if you carried out similar modifications to the Focus, what then? Comparing modified to standard is pointless in this debate.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference of course, we're all entitled to our opinion, but virtually everything I've ever seen on the VXR outside Vauxhalls fans, has it down as a very fast, but pretty wayward, torque steering, understeering beast.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I read about that too...they pestered Vauxhall to have a VXR for the show, got an unfinished car then ripped it to bits

If you can't make a VXR go round corners you shouldn't be driving quick cars at all IMHO
More fool Vauxhall then. Clarkson has a history of slating Vauxhalls, so they should have told them to wait til the car was finished and then given them one to test, they're lining themselves up for poor reviews with that sort of thing
Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 PM
adsrs1
Regular Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

get a mk1 focus rs far better car and a lot rarer
Old 11-10-2009, 09:00 PM
BazW
Regular Contributor

More fool Vauxhall then. Clarkson has a history of slating Vauxhalls, so they should have told them to wait til the car was finished and then given them one to test, they're lining themselves up for poor reviews with that sort of thing
doubt it was that simple...
Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Drunken Master

So what we've established is that the only way Vauxhall can produce a car that handles, is to give it to Lotus to fix after they've fucked it up

As for Ford making the ST better. They did, it's called the RS.

I think every review I've ever read about any of these hot hatches puts the Focus above the Astra in terms of handling, with the Golf/Focus seemingly always fighting for top spot. In my experience, Vauxhall are still way behind Ford in the handling stakes. They're more gutsy with producing performance cars though, I will give them that.

Incidentally, although for flat out pace the Astra is quicker, how do torque figures compare? From lower revs, say a pull from 30mph in 3rd/4th, how would they compare? As the five pot in the Focus is quite a grunty engine I would imagine.

I do find it amusing that fitting different springs and roll bars would make the VXR better than the ST. So if you carried out similar modifications to the Focus, what then? Comparing modified to standard is pointless in this debate.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference of course, we're all entitled to our opinion, but virtually everything I've ever seen on the VXR outside Vauxhalls fans, has it down as a very fast, but pretty wayward, torque steering, understeering beast.
You clearly believe everything you read on the internet or watch. Understeer isn't present at all on any modern performance FWD cars given the fact you can drive. Lotus design lots of vauxhall suspension so hardly them getting it wrong and handing it to them. More along the lines of getting it right from the start. The only thing missing was when lotus designed the car they designed it to be used with a rear anti roll bar which wasn't used to make it safer to the public and to premote more understeer (like basically any road going car). The Vxr was also designed to be used with 18 inch wheels vauxhall decided to come up with some heavy flashy 19's which make the ride more crashy. The focus isn't a better handling car despite what you may read it's very nose heavy.

Last edited by Drunken Master; 11-10-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Let me disect this more thoroughly

You clearly believe everything you read on the internet or watch. Understeer isn't present at all on any modern performance FWD cars given the fact you can drive.
Yes driver input is an important factor, but surely the fact seemed to be that the general consensus is that the Vauxhall is more prone to understeer than the Ford? A fact that didn't seem to win it friends in the motoring press compared to it's rivals.

Lotus design lots of vauxhall suspension so hardly them getting it wrong and handing it to them. More along the lines of getting it right from the start.
To be honest, that comment was meant more in jest than anything, as it's a great way to bait Vauxhall fans. It never fails. Like telling them the only good cars Vauxhall have produced were the Lotus Carlton and the VX, both of which were Lotus'

The only thing missing was when lotus designed the car they designed it to be used with a rear anti roll bar which wasn't used to make it safer to the public and to premote more understeer (like basically any road going car).
Can't say I've heard that before myself. Seems like a poor decision by Vauxhall, something that was ill thought through? Surely tweaking the anti roll settings would have been more clever, to give it more neutral or understeer biased handling. That suggests to me, that Vauxhall made a poor technical decision that made the car worse than it could have been.

The Vxr was also designed to be used with 18 inch wheels vauxhall decided to come up with some heavy flashy 19's which make the ride more crashy. The focus isn't a better handling car despite what you may read it's very nose heavy.
Are the 19s not optional? I thought they came with 18s as standard? I might be wrong of course, just thought I'd seen some with 18s and some with the 19s on.

I can't say I've ever heard of the Focus being described as nose heavy before now. Perhaps personal opinion playing a part?

I think the proof of it is in how many you see. I see Focus ST's every day, in abundance, and yet, the Astra VXR, which I thought was cheaper, and apparently quicker in a straight line, you see very few of by comparison. So unless Stafford is just unusually devoid of Astra VXRs, then the sales figures speak for themselves.

I can't say I've driven either, I'm just going on what I've read/heard from owners, my own experiences on car set up and manufacturer's marketing, partly playing devil's advocate, and partly just causing trouble
Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

doubt it was that simple...
Perhaps not.

No doubt there would have been pressure from a marketing point of view to get the car out there and in the television spot light.

I'm sure there was countless meetings on whether it was a good idea to release the car to Top Gear in that state, and obviously they decided to do that.

Calculated risk I suppose. They lost though, as the car didn't get a great review, which almost certainly had some impact on sales. As we all know, Clarkson has an army of loyal followers amongst the car buying public.

Incidentally, it's been a long time since I saw the TG review of the VXR, did they mention the fact the car they had wasn't finished?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Mk1 focus RS, at least it has a diff!

If you get a VXR first modificition to do is a diff!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Drunken Master

I can't say I've driven either, I'm just going on what I've read/heard from owners, my own experiences on car set up and manufacturer's marketing, partly playing devil's advocate, and partly just causing trouble
Thats where the problem lies I've driven both. And lowering springs, Rear anti roll bar and diff and the vxr is brilliant:

Ask this Radical SR3 driver if vxrs can handle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToiQs0Xr0oc
Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats where the problem lies I've driven both. And lowering springs, Rear anti roll bar and diff and the vxr is brilliant:

Ask this Radical SR3 driver if vxrs can handle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToiQs0Xr0oc
Yes but that's just pointless isn't it....

Lets look at it, and this is purely just guess work here cos I can't be bothered to look properly.

How much is a Quaife diff say, what, £500? Plus fitting it, which is going to be a good few hours labour no doubt.

Then the roll bar, how much are they? Plus fitting costs again.

Springs, well, gotta be over £100 notes, plus fitting again, another couple of hours labour.

You've spent quite a bit of money there to be honest.

Fit a diff to the Focus, some springs and some anti-roll bar tweaks, and how do the two compare then? You can't compared a modified VXR against a standard ST, that's irrelevant to the arguement.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say that due to the amount of STs on the second hand market compared to VXRs, that you could probably buy a Focus for less now? So by the time you've bought your VXR, spent a good bit of money on the upgrades, you're probably a good bit worse off? I might be wrong, I can't be bothered to check prices, but with the ST being so common, I would think you'd probably get one for less.

I haven't driven either, you're right, and I'm not necessarily saying the VXR is a bad car, I'm just going on what I've heard from people who've watched them understeering and tyre smoking their way round the Lotus test track, and the opinion of the majority of the motoring world, is that the Focus ST, from the factory at least, is a better handling car.

A modified VXR might be a fantastic machine, but that isn't quite the point of this debate...

Last edited by massivewangers; 11-10-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Diseasel
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

With kids you need a 5 door really so that counts the VXR out, think golf gti, Focus St2, Seat leon K1, Cupra, scooby etc.