General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mk6 fiesta issues?

Search this Thread

Old 27-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Stephen_B
I actually Bum This Place

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mk6 fiesta issues?

Right, bought a 1.4 petrol 54 reg mk6 fez a few weeks ago, and I think im being a little paranoid (since its wiped me out of cash)

Power steering is a bit noisy - is this a trait of them or an issue?

Minor surface rust around bonnet catch - does this qualify under anti corrosion warranty, or anything to worry about?

What sounds like a leaky seal letting wind through (sounds like wind whistling in car) can be heard at most speeds, but another mk6 went past me today making a similar noise but as i was walking, from the outside sounded like a muted sqeaking.

Clunking noise - this is caused when you engage clutch too quickly and means car slows a little sharpish - what would cause this, as read a horror story about a bloke on ukfn having to replace gearbox mounts Also apparently according to mot backbox is corroding (not serious), would, say a corroded exhaust bracket cause this?

This is an issue being looked at nder warranty, but steering wheel doesnt sit straight and there is vibration coming through the wheel, which is alot more noticable at high speed (70ish) to the point i really have to grip the steering wheel to feel like im in control of the car. Its not pleasent at those speeds. Tracking, tyre pressures have already been checked under warranty aswell as the wheels being balanced. What is causing it?

When listening carefully there is what sounds like a tappetting noise, but only audible between about 1500-2000 rpm and dissappears if throttle pressed hard (ie only audible, for example, when setting off and moving away gently). Only really noticed it when i went through maccys drive-thru and the engine is amplified.

Most of this can be fixed under warranty (or could be nothing and a trait of the car) but I want piece of mind as the garage I purchased from are completely useless and dont put the effort in to find a fault (as per the steering issue above - do the first things, dont test drive and hope it fixes it)

So just want clarification really

Cheers
Old 27-12-2008, 10:53 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

I would say, having owned a couple of Mk6 STs.... that your power steering and the clunk of the gearbox issues are probably about right..... the power steering was never the quietest thing, but its liveable..

Before I bought the ST, I test drove a Mk6 Zetec S TDCi...... having had a golf TDi, my immediate reaction in the Fiesta was one of absolute amazement that a diesel could be so noisy..... "I couldn't live with that" came out of my mouth before we even left the forecourt......
Old 27-12-2008, 11:38 PM
cabrio boy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

the way to cure the power steering problem is overfill it my local garage told me about it and it seems to owrk and keeps it quiet as for the clutch they all make that noise and the rust speak to your local dealer you are well in your rights !!
Old 28-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Stephen_B

Originally Posted by cabrio boy
the way to cure the power steering problem is overfill it my local garage told me about it and it seems to owrk and keeps it quiet as for the clutch they all make that noise and the rust speak to your local dealer you are well in your rights !!
cheers guys!

Anyone else have info about the oher problems?

bump for the morning
Old 28-12-2008, 09:44 AM
BANNED
BANNED

sounds like normal ford to me, its a 5 yr old car mate its not new, also the ford warrentee is out so you wont get the niggles done, if its a garages warrentee forget it
Old 28-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Stephen_B

Originally Posted by 999
sounds like normal ford to me, its a 5 yr old car mate its not new, also the ford warrentee is out so you wont get the niggles done, if its a garages warrentee forget it
to be fair its not a back street garage. I bought it from a main kia dealer, and the steering/engine/gearbox plus non wear and tear components are covered. I know the exhaust isnt covered, and im not bothered either (its an excuse for a full stainless) but even if some isnt covered I'd like to know the fix so I can get it done anyway, since the thing has to last me at least 3 years!
Old 28-12-2008, 09:51 AM
BANNED
BANNED

all i can say is with respect good luck with warrentee covering wind noises etc, hard enough most of the time getting broken clutches done, theres an old saying a garages warentee isnt worth the paper its written on and normaly its true
Old 28-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Stephen_B

Originally Posted by 999
all i can say is with respect good luck with warrentee covering wind noises etc, hard enough most of the time getting broken clutches done, theres an old saying a garages warentee isnt worth the paper its written on and normaly its true
clutch aint covered but the gearbox itself is IIRC - and no, overall it aint worth the paper its written on but id rather fork out a couple hundred quid to cover just the engine and gearbox, especially the reason my old car went was the engine was on the way out, and was quoted 1000 + fitting!

Last edited by Stephen_B; 28-12-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 28-12-2008, 09:56 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Did you test drive the car before you bought it? Were all these faults not apparant then?

My bird has a 1.4 mk6, and yes the power steering is noisy, more so when it is cold. Hers is a 52 reg and there is not a spot of rust on it anywhere...
Old 28-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you have bought a shitter thats been driven and thats it from new lacking maintainence etc
Old 28-12-2008, 11:00 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

tappety sound is just solid lifters, nowt to worry over.
Old 28-12-2008, 12:49 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Originally Posted by Csm
Sounds like you have bought a shitter thats been driven and thats it from new lacking maintainence etc

So you read the other posts above about some of the stuff being normal and then thought you'd throw your two penneth in....
Old 28-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by XRdodgybird
So you read the other posts above about some of the stuff being normal and then thought you'd throw your two penneth in....

Yes
Old 28-12-2008, 02:02 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Vibration will be the tripod joint on the driveshaft....bet my ass.
Old 28-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Stephen_B

to be fair most of it was only noticable after driving the car round.The stewering was. I pointed it out and the salesman told me it would be checked over. Obviously not.

And on the shitter note - its been serviced for definate the last 2 times, and the 2 previous are known to exist but due to the service book being lost arent stamped, so is the next thing to get done. The last service being in september, only 1000 miles ago
Old 29-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats the problem with dealer traders they always say they will get it checked over but if its gonnae cost them money then theres no chance of it gettin done they are all the same

Joys of havin there own mot tester that will just fire it through cos its a sales car ........... then imagine 1 year later if you took it back its a positive failure for them to earn money of ya when its probably perfectly passable
Old 29-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Stephen_B

Originally Posted by Csm
Thats the problem with dealer traders they always say they will get it checked over but if its gonnae cost them money then theres no chance of it gettin done they are all the same

Joys of havin there own mot tester that will just fire it through cos its a sales car ........... then imagine 1 year later if you took it back its a positive failure for them to earn money of ya when its probably perfectly passable
well apart from warranty work they arent having their grubby mits on it Im having all work done at a local gargae my family have used for years no problem and a good friend's dad one of the mechanics there - so I know the job will be done properly