General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Impreza sti vs St170

Search this Thread

Old 26-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza sti vs St170

Dont know whats got into me but keep liking the look of the impreza's lately (classic shape)
currently got an st170 that the misses uses but now with 2 kids and only 3 doors do I look for a 4 door(enter the impreza!!)?
How do they fair day to day driving? I've caged a couple but never actually been out in one for a go.
i'm not fussed about having 400hp etc as I got my lightning for horsepower...
Old 26-11-2008, 02:16 PM
rickbartlett
G911 TTA

scoobies are good fun and plenty of room.if u got the lightening 4 power then get a scooby 4 eveyday as long as u look after it.
Old 26-11-2008, 02:17 PM
rickbartlett
G911 TTA

just dont take the scooby to drayton manor park mate
Old 26-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had an ST170 as my daily driver up until about 6 weeks ago, I'd probably go with an Impreza tbh. Can't fault the Focus I liked it MUCH more than I thought, just never got on board with 6 long gears on a revvy engine, never pinned you back.

It was reliable too, only had to replace downpipe & cat in just under 9 months. Was an '04 plate.

If you can justify a little hike on running costs Impreza all day IMO.
Old 26-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

I've had my Focus for about 15months and its never let me down apart from drivers side window not working(motor jammed). I know what you mean about the long gears and to drive slow they feel guttless (is this a good thing for the misses) but once they are wound up I really enjoy even on greasy roads I find it impressive.
Old 26-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Mike C
The Special One

The Impreza is really very civilised and comfortable as a daily driver. The classic shape interiors etc may not look the best, but they're very well screwed together and hard-wearing.

Aside from that I've always found them pretty refined, far more so than an Evo for daily driving. The Evo always feels like it wants to go fast, the Impreza not so much so.

If it's definitely an STi you want then they'll be plenty quick enough as standard.

I'd go for a V5 as the best all-rounder in terms of performance/spec/price/refinement etc

Last edited by Mike C; 26-11-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 26-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Cheers Mike, need to look into different specs as there seems to be so many!!!!!!! I'm out of touch! been a ford man all these years,.
Old 26-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Out of curiosity, whats the fuel consumption on a normal day to day basis? (of the impreza i mean?)

Plus are the uk classic models "super plus unleaded" only or can you run them on supermarket unleaded?
Old 26-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Mike C
The Special One

STi V1 and V2 are pre-facelift
STi V7 and onwards are the new age shapes
STi V3-V6 are the classic shape facelift models

Type-R Models, 22B and P1 are all 2dr specials
Old 26-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Ok then Mike while your at it WRX to STI differents?
Old 26-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Classic shape WRX's had 220-240-BHP (ish) as standard, STi's had around 280

STi's were manual-only, had forged-pistons, uprated intercooler with water spray, special ECU, special exhaust, special diff, strut brace, larger STi spoiler, better seats, uprated brakes etc.

Last edited by Mike C; 26-11-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 26-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

So STI is the one to have then.. I best find a couple locally for a closer look then.
Old 26-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Not local to you, but just as an example, that's the model I'd go for

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...0&max_mileage=

There were a few worthwhile tweaks to the V5 making it a good improvement to the others. There wasn't any significant changes to the 6 to make it worth choosing over the 5
Old 26-11-2008, 03:42 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Can't you get a 4dr ST170 ?

Steve.
Old 26-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie4i
Can't you get a 4dr ST170 ?

Steve.
Yeah thats what I had, but can't see him chopping a 3dr in for a 5dr tbh...
Old 26-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Ad4m RST
Yeah thats what I had, but can't see him chopping a 3dr in for a 5dr tbh...
I'd rather keep the 3dr to be honest if owning a focus, I dont see it as a big deal for my 2yr old, its just a paint strapping the little baby seat in the back, If the pass airbag could be switched off he'd go in the front and there wouldn't be a prob. also I quite fancy a subaru but will have a drive of a couple first.
Old 26-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Mike C

There were a few worthwhile tweaks to the V5 making it a good improvement to the others. There wasn't any significant changes to the 6 to make it worth choosing over the 5
I'm liking that and the price. shame its 125miles away.
Old 27-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Mike C
The Special One

That place always has lots of really good Jap Import cars in, and usually at a good price for a delear.

All decent STi 5's should be somewhere in the £5-7k price bracket really
Old 27-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Alot seem to have had recon engines? anyone know weak points?
Old 27-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Shouldn't be anything really to worry about with the later STi models.

Earlier models often suffered with headgasket problems, and pistons were weak on normal WRX's, but STi ran forged items.

Only thing likely to cause major engine problems in later STi's (V3 onwards) would be using 95RON fuel, which these engines really didn't like

Some MY98 cars had replacement engines through a recall after suffering from piston slap

but by now, all worries should be over for these cars, just use 97RON fuel
Old 27-11-2008, 01:49 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both and would go for sti everytime,on a run maybe 28ish mpg around town about 17/18ish mpg. Rag it and you won't see much more than 8/10 mpg.
Had mine down to 8mpg going down castle comb one year.

Normal stuff service history,no managment light on,cambelt done,more standard the better.

Get in one rev to about 4000rpm dump the clutch and smile.
Old 27-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Found a V4 30miles from me with 75k on the clock, if there next week might go for a look as away this weekend. best clean the focus and say my good byes lol!! actually best see what a 3 owner 3dr 02 ST170 is selling for...
Old 27-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Classic shape WRX's had 220-240-BHP (ish) as standard, STi's had around 280

STi's were manual-only, had forged-pistons, uprated intercooler with water spray, special ECU, special exhaust, special diff, strut brace, larger STi spoiler, better seats, uprated brakes etc.
Whats the differents between the versions Mike? I seen loads of V4 withing 40miles from me but no V5.
Old 27-11-2008, 03:36 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Without trying to cause offence... you dont really seem to know much about these cars, so please stay clear of Keighley Trade Centre. I'm sure if you were to google them, you would see why I'd say that, there are MANY horror stories about them... and actually about a few garages in that general area.

Pictures and prices look good... and I have heard of a couple of decent cars to come from there, if you know what you're looking for and give each car a proper inspection then you can walk out with a bargain. However, its a big gamble to take.

The main reason for engine failure on earlier Imprezas (pre-97) is the tiny top mount intercooler and poor scoop design... prelonged 100mph+ runs mean that it runs very lean and after a while, results in a knackered engine.

The later phase 1.5 and phase 2 engines are better designed and have a larger capacity top mount fitted. But the engine failures on these tend to be from people thinking that they can get away with running it on super UL (or worse, normal UL) only when the car is designed to run on the japanese 101ron rated fuel. Same as most P1's you'll see have had a rebuild as they are basically just a Version 5 STi with the standard STi ECU and an in-tank fuel broquette fitted from new.. which will have dissolved by now causing the car to detonate on super UL unless its been re-mapped for UK fuel.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 27-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by Danny B
Whats the differents between the versions Mike? I seen loads of V4 withing 40miles from me but no V5.
V5 got Phase 2 engine which had new intake and cams for improved low-down torque.

Aside from that, slightly tweaked suspension and the newer style spoiler and bodykit and I think that's about it

Last edited by Mike C; 27-11-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 27-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Without trying to cause offence... you dont really seem to know much about these cars, so please stay clear of Keighley Trade Centre. I'm sure if you were to google them, you would see why I'd say that, there are MANY horror stories about them... and actually about a few garages in that general area.

Pictures and prices look good... and I have heard of a couple of decent cars to come from there, if you know what you're looking for and give each car a proper inspection then you can walk out with a bargain. However, its a big gamble to take.

The main reason for engine failure on earlier Imprezas (pre-97) is the tiny top mount intercooler and poor scoop design... prelonged 100mph+ runs mean that it runs very lean and after a while, results in a knackered engine.

The later phase 1.5 and phase 2 engines are better designed and have a larger capacity top mount fitted. But the engine failures on these tend to be from people thinking that they can get away with running it on super UL (or worse, normal UL) only when the car is designed to run on the japanese 101ron rated fuel. Same as most P1's you'll see have had a rebuild as they are basically just a Version 5 STi with the standard STi ECU and an in-tank fuel broquette fitted from new.. which will have dissolved by now causing the car to detonate on super UL unless its been re-mapped for UK fuel.

Cheers,
Grant
A friend bought a Supra from Keighley Trade Centre and that was spot on. Never been in person though, have just noticed when trawling the ads that they always have a large selection of Jap imports that look good.

Everyone I know who's ever had a P1 have had to have a complete rebuild, lol.
Old 27-11-2008, 03:43 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Version 4 requires a complete new ECU (PowerFC, Simtek etc) to be mapped for UK fuel... looking at about 800quid+ for that to be supplied, fitted and mapped.

Version 5/6 can have the standard ECU mapped using EcuTek software, which is about 500quid to buy the licence and be mapped.

Front bumper, headlights, grill, rear spoiler are different between the models on the outside. Interior is practically identical, there's a slightly different MOMO badge on the steering wheel and the gear gaitor is leather in the Version 5 intead of rubber on the earlier model.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 27-11-2008, 03:46 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

A friend bought a Supra from Keighley Trade Centre and that was spot on. Never been in person though, have just noticed when trawling the ads that they always have a large selection of Jap imports that look good.

Everyone I know who's ever had a P1 have had to have a complete rebuild, lol.
Yup, like I said.. there are the occasional good ones that they get in, a friend had an R33 GTR from there and it was solid, low mileage and very good condition.

I've also read on a subaru owners club, from another well respected importer, that the new/delivery mileage stuff they get hold of is good quality too.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 27-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Cheers guys,
Trust me when I buy a car it is inspected very well hence asking questions before hand and not after i got one. You've gave me some very good info though and thank you for that, Like I spotted the recon engines I knew there must be some reason which from what you have wrote makes very good sense. I Mite pop up and see ZEN performance as they just up the road from us.
Old 27-11-2008, 04:09 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't discount a late (year 2000) classic UK or euro Turbo..

Firstly I'd decide what power/performance you're after and go from there.

I've had most of the classic models and the one I've had the longest has been a UK spec turbo. I have just modified mine with a VF35 from a 2003 STI, power FC, walbro and just had it mapped Monday by Simon aka jollygreenmonster and it really shifts now. I'd estimate 320bhp (going by previous cars I've owned) with probably not far off that in torque.

My favourite engines on the Imprezas are either the version 2 engines (95-96) or the version 5/6 UK engines (99/00) The 97/98 just don't feel great to me and usually sound slappy from cold. I currently also have a version 2 STI RA with the CDB and it feels like granite, it sounds perfect from cold and feels strong.

I've read lots over the years and owned many STI's and IMO the classic STI engines (apart from pre 96) don't seem all that great to me.

Most people will reccomned an STI of some sort because it's got better suspension, more power etc but my advice would be to look for a decent low mileage year 2000 UK or euro 2000 Turbo with some choice mods. Most of them have things like suspension changed etc anyway. You can do ecutek remaps on the v5/6 cars too and an exhaust, filter and remap will get you 260/270bhp and similar torque or (like I have) add a VF35 (cost me £200) which fits straight on with no mods in the mix and you're looking at 320bhp.. stock injectors on v5/6 cars are 440cc and these and the stock v5/6 intercooler will see you to almost 350bhp without being changed.
Old 27-11-2008, 04:16 PM
twoblacklines
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id stick with an st170 or even better a st220 / st200
Old 27-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks james, you mean something like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...1%7C240%3A1318

or
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...1%7C240%3A1318

sorry forgot how to do nice link!
Old 27-11-2008, 04:24 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

holy sh.. the 1st one is exactly what I was looking for, thanks I wanted a sonic blue euro turbo! I have a sonic blue wagon and it's really rare on a classic (sti's are common in sonic)

Wish this was about a couple of weeks ago.. hmm.. spose I could swap my bits
Old 27-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

ye but I might want it! lol.
Old 27-11-2008, 04:31 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

I've cracked off an email so back off LOL if that's genuinely that mileage and hasn't been repainted anywhere.. I want it

I'd highly reccomend it to you though, a rare car in that colour and mileage.. and as I say a few easy mods and it'll be a rocket and still feck all to insure (£400 FC for me n the mrs)
Old 27-11-2008, 04:33 PM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

looks like a nice example but i deffo wouldnt buy one from there unless you like playing russian roulette lol
Old 28-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I've cracked off an email so back off LOL if that's genuinely that mileage and hasn't been repainted anywhere.. I want it

I'd highly reccomend it to you though, a rare car in that colour and mileage.. and as I say a few easy mods and it'll be a rocket and still feck all to insure (£400 FC for me n the mrs)
Thats cheaper than my Focus to insure!! Not by much but all helps. Sure the fuel will soon swallow any gains lol.