General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Motability Cars (what One)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Motability Cars (what One)

Hi Guys

Ive been offered from my sick step father the possibility to get a car for the wife as long as she takes him to the shops once a week.

Now we have been offered it as long as we pay the money he will lose out of his benefits which we think will be about £160 a month. We will both be insured for that price, includes free servicing tyres tax and renewal every 3 years.

Now i just need some advice really, is there anyone on here that has got this plan, There are 2 options you can do which is to buy the car outright etc etc.

Been looking at the volvo C30 as its only 399 downpayment for the 1.6 and seems like a nice car, also diesel golf looks good.

Now what i wonder is wether you can barter with the dealerships on this sort of thing to get options etc etc as we are in a credit crunch and a sale must be a sale wether the goverment pays for it or we do.

So any advice would be great before i commit to anything

Thanks Guys
Old 04-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Cozziekid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobility cars are meant for disabled/sick people who struggle to get around, like me, and should be used primarily for the person who gets the mobility benefit. Not to take him to the shops once a week and for you and your wife to enjoy a cheap new car.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my mam has just got a brand new bmw 118d m sport on motability she is on the top monthly payment which is £147 and still had to put down a 4k deposit. As for options you can have what you like tbh aslong as your prepared to pay the extra,and no you cant barter with the dealership lol as far as i know.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:45 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You shouldn't really ask ask how to break the law.
Personally anyone who does this I hope gets found out, then you can explain to your father why he has lost the car, and his DLA high rate mobility, and why if he is over 65 he cannot even claim again!!
It's absolutely against the rules, the car will have disabled tax, the blue badge cannot be used by you either, not even if doing stuff for your dad, even if he is in the car, he must alight the car for this, and they are having massive crackdowns on this now, £1000 fine is possible as well as your pa losing his badge INDEFINTIELY, not even an appeal against this.
tabetha
Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think I need to add anything

Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 PM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Only ment to be used to transport the person who the car is issued for,and there is a capped milage per year as well,also if you have any motoring convictions,hey wount allow you on the insurance policy,as i tried as my mother has a disabilty car.and it was a no no

cheeRS stu
Old 04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
madsi
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

he wanted advice not a lecture,and my brother and his girlfriend have a mobitility car as she has severe problams with her back.as far as i know the dealers work to a budget but you can get ok stuff,they had a new astra that was ok but now just got a new 1.6 golf which is better,i think your limited to the mileage though and you have the car for 3 years
Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Cozziekid
Mobility cars are meant for disabled/sick people who struggle to get around, like me, and should be used primarily for the person who gets the mobility benefit. Not to take him to the shops once a week and for you and your wife to enjoy a cheap new car.

strrugle that much you can want to change an engine ?
https://passionford.com/forum/showth...52#post3667752
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

fuck it, there are enough people sponging off the system, a few more wont hurt

get a porker 911 lol
Old 04-11-2008, 08:10 PM
rs1072
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
I don't think I need to add anything

Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

Last edited by studabear; 29-11-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no offence - and i know it hasn't been mentioned here, yet - but it really pisses me off when people moan and bitch about motability car owners and they're "free" cars.

they get disability living allowence which is iirc £60 a week? which no one moans about but as soon as people give up the £60 and get a car motability drivers instantly get labled as some freeloader.

not to mention all the work motability puts into the british motor industry, it is the uk's largest fleet afterall.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 PM
rs1072
PassionFord Post Troll

Old 04-11-2008, 08:25 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cozziekid

this chap hit the nail on the head

if the mobility car is used as it is meant to be its a fantastic scheme
Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 PM
as355f1

Originally Posted by bigal1978
owned lol
Old 04-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Disabilities can effect you in many ways, mind your own business.

Benni.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by studabear
I work for the firm contracted to do motability tyres, we've had cabriolets, mx5's in, clk mercedes renault megane cc's I could go on with the list but it makes my blood boil

I even know of a twat who has a zafira for his sick mother and she has never been in it

IMO a lot of these cars are scammed
You work for Kwik Fit then; the biggest fucking scum bags on this earth.

Benni.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:11 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My mate's mrs has her grandad's motability car and it pisses me off a bit as to be fair she does help him out quite a lot, but by no means is he in the car everyday, which they use for work, shopping etc.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Smiggy

Originally Posted by James

not to mention all the work motability puts into the british motor industry, it is the uk's largest fleet afterall.
That's one of the weakest arguements I've ever read.

FACT: The original poster is trying to fit through a small loophole to get something he is not entirely entitled to.

And anyway, why pay £160 a month for something that you're never going to own. Would it not be better buying your own car and at the end of the term have something that is worth a couple of grand. Something you can put towards your next purchase. Or is that too far fetched and I'm the only one who does anything like this???

SMG
Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 PM
JMC
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Angry

I am with Studabear on this. I take the dents out of these Motability cars before they go through the block and it makes you sick to see where your taxes go!!
Why would a disabled person require an MX5, Hyundai coupe, Saab convertable as an essential mode of transport!! And if you can afford to upgrade to a Discovery or Merc you can afford your own car.
I would say only 30% of cars I see going for auction are in the condition they should be for a 05/55 plate car. The rest look like they have been banger racing with sills wiped out, roofs run accross, and in need of full resprays because every panel has been key'd.
I would give them all a Chevrolet Tacuma and they should be grateful at that unless they return their last car mint or a good as. (rant off about motability)
Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Benni
You work for Kwik Fit then; the biggest fucking scum bags on this earth.

Benni.

Indeed, good to see were as popular as ever
Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Cozziekid

FYI i wasnt the one who changed the engine, not that i have to explain anything to you mate.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:26 PM
anodised

my mum has a renault megane cc's on motabilty really nice car

you can have almost any car u like as long as u pay the top up on it and some times u get deals the last car my mum had was a mazda 6 and they got rid of the 2.5k up front fee
Old 04-11-2008, 10:44 PM
whosyadaddy

My advice is re-read what you have typed up above and realize what a COCK you've just made of yourself!
Old 04-11-2008, 11:42 PM
fox

They should do it in this country like they do in spain, Give them all the same car.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:11 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

James, they do NOT get £60 a week in DLA, high rate mobility component, it is £37.60, people are not in my opinion lecturing, but if it does sound like a lecture, it might be that it pisses them off having to work for a living whilst others think they can rip the system off.
I am on DLA, and have this year alone reported two people who were on incapacity and DLA, altogether the first one pocketed £187 a week, whilst not able to do here previous job, as had a severe back problem that she could not bend at all, after a bit of dobbing she now does her former job as a mechanic, her back mysteriously healed, been back 4 months now with no problems.
The other one was on high rate mobility as she couldn't walk more thna 25 metres and couldn't walk unaided, but didn't stop her jogging a 6 mile route each morning when it was dark.
I'm not sugesting that the author is that bad at all, or has that intention, just putting a disabled persons view across, as screwing the system annoys those that are entitled to it a lot more than those that aren't.
The reason I dob, it is not fair on the decent honest tax payer, without whom myself and a lot of other disabled people would be in the shit, and I salute any working person for this, they have my respect, as I'm sure they do from all people in this position.
tabetha
Old 05-11-2008, 05:56 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if he is offering the wife the car as long as she takes him shopping etc once a week, how can you be insured on it?
Old 05-11-2008, 06:30 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by fox
They should do it in this country like they do in spain, Give them all the same car.
Ditto, and they should all be ford escape`s...that way i would have a job for life again!!!!

Agree with a lot of the above, especially the mates missus friend who drives around not really helping the father. Makes me laugh when these cheeky cunts think there better than me cos they`ve got a new car and i drive a shit transit, ITS NOT FUCKING YOURS,AND IM PAYING £200 A WEEK FUCKING TAX FOR IT!!!! Rant over and to answer your question, you can have any car if you pay the difference.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There are some right idiots on here arnt there?

Firstly it is not a car for nothing. It will cost roughly £160 a month, Secondly whenever he has a hospital appointment or needs any assistance we will have to take him wherever he needs to go, Thirdly what we are looking to do is exactly what the scheme was intended for.

He is VEry Very Ill and cannot even walk 50 meters he has very severe emphacema

He has never driven and does not hold a licenece. therefore he can elect his guardian (which is my wife) and another named driver (which will be me)

I bet some of the People that are telling me im screwing the system are probably sitting at home sponging off me with there 10 kids and massive council houses.

I paid nearly 800 Tax last month and nearly 300 national insurance. And have done for a long time. I dont get tax credits and have not been to hospital in years.

If anyone would like to look up about the scheme it will tell you that what we are thinking of doing is completely legal and above board, he does not have to be in the car at all times and we couldnt give a shit about the blue badge as we wont even want one.

My question was in a recession like this im sure each dealer wanys you to go with them so i am suprised they will not offer you a bit of an incentive afterall can choose to go to any dealer you like...

Thankyou everyone that advised and didnt get on there little soapboxes to preach a load of rubbish

Oh and Tabetha a grass is just about the lowest of the low......

And also i hate sponging pricks that make me pay more tax this is not abusing any system, its what its there for.

Also im at the auction every other week so whoever commented they are all banger cars must live in a shithole because 90 percent of the ones i look at are nearly mint with very low mileage.

Why should i buy a unreliable second hand car for my wife to look after her dad with it when the system is in place top get a new one, What if he needs to go to the hospital and the car wont start and he dies.... Will that be better on ALL OF OUR taxes....

Last edited by Ebonycossie4x4; 05-11-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:22 AM
snOOpy86

working in a bodyshop that deals with motability cars i have to agree with JMC there a mess, dog hairs, stink of piss, riddled with dents, never washed etc just used and abused 90% of the time then we are asked to return the car to almost previous condition and usualy means repairs to every panel repaint wheel refurbs or renewal.
it makes my blood boil, most people would be gratefull and respect there brand new car but it seems they dont care as a brand new replacment is only a couple of years away!
i cant see why they are not just entitled to 1 type of car i.e 1.6 ford focus 4 door that is plently big enough for the average person..
can anyone tell me why a motability customer would need an extravigant big 4x4, chrysler 300c, mazda mx5, etc etc surely if they are not working where does the money for petrol/tax come from?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

This thread went well then
Old 05-11-2008, 07:24 AM
JMC

"Also im at the auction every other week so whoever commented they are all banger cars must live in a shithole because 90 percent of the ones i look at are nearly mint with very low mileage."

Which auction? You must walk round with your eyes closed then because I've covered 7 sites and thats excluding the ones up north and the cars are wreaks. If you think 90% are nearly mint your on something. Ask anyone in the trade about Motability and they will tell you a lot of the cars are fucked but have low mileage.

As to where I live being a shithole, check out Rutland you numpty

As for getting a car, just get the Tacuma then?!?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC
Which auction?
Manheim Bristol for starters, they have the Motability "Retail" sale and most of the cars in that part are not too bad.

But you're right, invariably 3 year old Motability cars look like they've been driven by a blind hook handed fat person that smells like wet dog.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:03 AM
TWoods
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by tabetha
James, they do NOT get £60 a week in DLA, high rate mobility component, it is £37.60, people are not in my opinion lecturing, but if it does sound like a lecture, it might be that it pisses them off having to work for a living whilst others think they can rip the system off.
I am on DLA, and have this year alone reported two people who were on incapacity and DLA, altogether the first one pocketed £187 a week, whilst not able to do here previous job, as had a severe back problem that she could not bend at all, after a bit of dobbing she now does her former job as a mechanic, her back mysteriously healed, been back 4 months now with no problems.
The other one was on high rate mobility as she couldn't walk more thna 25 metres and couldn't walk unaided, but didn't stop her jogging a 6 mile route each morning when it was dark.
I'm not sugesting that the author is that bad at all, or has that intention, just putting a disabled persons view across, as screwing the system annoys those that are entitled to it a lot more than those that aren't.
The reason I dob, it is not fair on the decent honest tax payer, without whom myself and a lot of other disabled people would be in the shit, and I salute any working person for this, they have my respect, as I'm sure they do from all people in this position.
tabetha
Spot on, those who are severely disabled who genuinely need government support to sustain a basic lifestyle often miss out because there unable to fill in the forms in such a manipulative way like spongers can, they are embarressed in disclosing info and feel guilty asking for assistance due to being afraid of being called a sponger.

Benefits thieves are lowest of the low and deserved to be grassed up imho
Old 05-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

JMC- Firstly you dont know me from adam so how you have the right to call me a numpty god knows.

Secondly- Colchester motability are fine. fair enough you get a few shitters but all the traders i am good friends with look to 90 percent of these cars as a first buy. A lot are low mileage clean examples. Anyone that are commenting that they work in paint shops and see shitters well duh the reason its in a paint shop is due to the fact its getting abused.

Just because people are disabled it does not mean they should be dictated to on which car they drive or are driven in. A Criminal maybe but a disabled person has done nothing wrong if the disability is proved genuine which i can assure you this one is.

Please if you dont have any input then go back to youre day.

Yes helen Thread has went well hasnt it lol. This site is becoming a joke.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

benefit thieves are SCUM plain and simple. Still wouldnt grass them up though. Its not my place to pass judgement on them.

Bit like sitting in the fast lane at 70 dictating what speed i can do then moaning about me being an inch from youre rear bumper.

Anybody that thinks this is sponging or benefit stealing please read the facts before you post. Its not illigal in anyway and is not sponging whatsoever It is needed to care for him and as his guardian my wife now she drives is who he has elected to drive for him.

Plain and simple...

We are not going to take him to hospital in the back of a skyline or anb rs turbo that takes 10 minutes to start in the morning are we...
Old 05-11-2008, 08:17 AM
snOOpy86

the cars that come in to the body shop could be anything from a parking dent on the door to a full on freshen up, but like i said 90% of the cars iv seen come in have been a compleate mess inside and out with no care/respect taken to it.
remembering that there is that 10% or so that do seem to care and respect there car.

why would some one need an extravigant car to get from a-b and the shops once a week, its only a form of transport.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I agree with you they dont need it. But they are the ones paying the extra anyway so it matters not to the taxpayer.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 AM
stephenbatey

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Motability cars are a rip off, my mother had one for years and for the miles you do in them, like you say IF your dad has to go to hospital, ain`t worth the loss of benifit. She bought a diesel fiat bravo for £600 and it aint missed a beat since she got it nearly 2 years ago, and she still gets her tax payed for and her blue badges. She now uses the money she saves to gan on holiday every year, sometimes twice.
Your better off with a cheap runaround because your missus aint allowed to do her shopping in it, school run, or popping to her mates houses, etc. If she got caught (highly unlikely unless you get grassed) your dad would loose his benifit. Hope this helps you mate
Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

bateyovhebburn.

thankyou mate. Finally a decent answer to some questions, im being told that the car can be used without the mobility person in it. how would they prove that the person in the car is not doing something for the disabled person.

The blue badge is of no intrest to us. He will keep that for the hospital runs that we will need to do in it.

the more feedback i get the more i think of getting a runaround and giving up on this whole idea, but he cannot afford to buy it even for £600.

Quick Reply: Motability Cars (what One)