General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Halfords Return Policy.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:26 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halfords Return Policy.

I updated my Sat nav end of last week for a Garmin 760.
It was wicked for a day then failed to switch on, so I took it back to my local store and was told "mmm yeah we have a really strict returns policy"

I said oh not to worry then as its dead and wont switch on, he (a local 15 year old with a full face of bum hair took if from me, tapped it a few times and did actually manage to get it turned back on, he handed it back with a cocky look and said "Nothing wrong with it mate"
So I turned it off and tried to turn it back on and did the same stayed off. He tried again and it switched on.

I was running late friday and didnt wish to piss any ones weekend off so I said look bud I need this over the weekend I will give you a choice, we deal with it now or if I get back from my weekend Sunday and its playing up still I will come in, but perhaps a little grumpy and perhaps slightly less easy to deal with.

So Off I plod with my existing Sat nav and to my suprise it stopped working last night.

Popped back to Halfords today and I see the lads face dropped as I walked in with a Satnav box. I get the speal all over again which got my neck up.

He calls his manager who took my sat nav, walked away with it and came back with another unboxed and says here you are all swapped, so I sneakily checked my box serial number against the unit and the cunt had the same bloody number!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, this is my second unit and apparently Halfords do not refund only exchange, but based on this what are my rights, I have had 2 both gone faulty yet the fookers wont give me my cash back. Can I not argue fit for purpose or something like that.
Looking on line I can only find legal stuff for Halfords online and not the stores.

Any advice offerings from you clever lot.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

Halfrauds--ordered a se of koni adjustables from them and paid cashup, was told to collect them the following week only to find out they had forgot to order them, needless to say i got my money straight back, and an apology from an very embarressed member of staff
Old 10-08-2008, 04:09 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

They tried that shite with me when i took my road angel back,just kick up a fuss and they'll soon give you your cash back.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:10 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...38270_p2_31283

Old 10-08-2008, 04:11 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This is what I see earlier.
However this is far to vague

Faulty Goods
If you purchase a product online which is found to be faulty we will (depending on the item) supply a
replacement product, arrange for a repair or give you a refund of the purchase price as appropriate. Should
a fault occur after the initial 28 days, we will resolve your concern in accordance with current consumer
protection legislation.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:13 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah here some advice, quote this to em and tell them you want a new one right now or you cash bash in full!!

Subject: Sale of Goods Rights, Faulty Goods.

Relevant or Related Legislation: Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Rs Adz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

depends wot your wonting if you wont a new garmin tell and they well give u a new as all they do is ring garmin and garmin tell 2 give u a brand new one with a 12 month warrenty but if your wonting your money back better 2 speak to the manger any probs pm me as also sat nav from halfords are not on the money back gauante

( sorry my speeling is rubbish )
Old 10-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

You've bought an item that doesn't do what it should, so you ARE entitled to a refund. However, if it's inside 28 days and you still want a working sat nav, you can ask for a replacement unit. If it goes over 28 days then they'll oly sent it off to Garmin to be fixed.
Take it back and buy one from Motorworld, much better customer service in there (Usually cheaper too)
Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

they are being extremely difficult for no reason, at my store we would without a doubt have swapped it for a brand new one first time, then given you a refund if you still werent happy. However strictly we shouldnt do this so its manager's discretion.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
ScORTED
Project Money Pit

Originally Posted by XRT_si
they are being extremely difficult for no reason, at my store we would without a doubt have swapped it for a brand new one first time, then given you a refund if you still werent happy. However strictly we shouldnt do this so its manager's discretion.
agreed,

sounds like they don't like you , if you want to get it sorted tell them your giving them one chance to get your money back or you'll ring customer services and make a formal complaint... you'll be leaving with your cash mate as thats the last thing they want.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:10 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Very true ^^
Old 10-08-2008, 05:13 PM
bunnies
new girl!

If they tried that shit with me I'd be speaking to the manager face to face myself and threatening them with all kinds of shit. If they sold you a faulty unit then they are legally obliged to replace it (properly this time).

Fucking useless they are.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:14 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Working in a shop when I first started my career I am not one of these arsehole customers to be honest, Perhaps thats where I am failing.
I dont know if they are screwed if they refund a product purchased in another store, I guess it counts against there figures. Issue is I did want another but seeing as this is the second one, I wanted a different make or the model down/up.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:42 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

pcworld have a thing with satnav units they sell having to back to the manufacturer rather than in store repairs

do halfords have te same thing?

tel them the unit is shit and you want a refund because of that reason, you could always top up the story with someone from the store recomended it to you
Old 10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
mk3matt

i work in halfrauds on the satnav department part time

you have 30 days after purchasing to return the prduct for an exchanged. money cannot be refunded.

after that you have a year onwhich to request for it to be sent away.

GARMIN are fukin good and usually, will give you a new one off the shelf. ( we are based within 2o miles of their factory too) .

its not hard for them to sort you out mate, they sound like a bunch of twats. if you have had it less than a yuear. bring it to the iwnchester branch if you are ever down this way ( avator says suffolk) and i will persoinally sort it.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:02 PM
mk3matt

Originally Posted by SaffManLee
Working in a shop when I first started my career I am not one of these arsehole customers to be honest, Perhaps thats where I am failing.
I dont know if they are screwed if they refund a product purchased in another store, I guess it counts against there figures. Issue is I did want another but seeing as this is the second one, I wanted a different make or the model down/up.

we can refund if bought from another store ( but, as i said above, not sat navs)

however, if its an exchange, not so much of a problem

pm me if you want more info or whatever mate

Last edited by mk3matt; 10-08-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Stephen_B
I actually Bum This Place

Originally Posted by mk3matt
i work in halfrauds on the satnav department part time

you have 30 days after purchasing to return the prduct for an exchanged. money cannot be refunded.

after that you have a year onwhich to request for it to be sent away.

GARMIN are fukin good and usually, will give you a new one off the shelf. ( we are based within 2o miles of their factory too) .

its not hard for them to sort you out mate, they sound like a bunch of twats. if you have had it less than a yuear. bring it to the iwnchester branch if you are ever down this way ( avator says suffolk) and i will persoinally sort it.
what he said. I work for them too and Garmins are usually pretty bullet proof. Found that early 760's were quite buggy though. Our display unit kept randomly turning off (usually half way through a customer demo)A software update usually solves this. If it resets garmin told me to slide and hold across the power button for about 20 seconds, and then just tap it across and it will boot up. Then software update asap. to avoid it keep happening.

EDIT: garmin have a direct swap policy if its not fixable with an update instore. Sounds like the store you go to is shit. Our store would have sorted it out no problem (whether an update was needed or a replacement unit)

Last edited by Stephen_B; 10-08-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:38 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

you need to be more assertive when you go back.