General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

who has a rollers in scotland that is actually worth using?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:46 PM
dumped
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was the problem Euan I was confused as to which JEMS, which engine etc etc. So you mean the engine that was a stage 1 or stage 3 when you first purchased the car. I thought it was the old owner doing the engine work on your car.

Iain, you could ask people on the scottish part of the RSOC site who they use, see how their cars go/problems etc and choose as there are quite a few old school cars on there.

AVA are being made out as a one trick turbo pony. They have however been working on carbs etc for over 25years and are still doing it day in day out with bikes and cars etc unlike a lot of new folk with new rollers etc using plug and play. But they are miles off and as chip said someone must be setting rally cars etc up in this area.

Finding a tuner you trust as local as possible is the dream imo
Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it was on the original engine.

JEM skimmed the head even tho it didnt need it fitted rings into worn bores and had massive ring gaps and also fucked my crank when the ground it.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:10 PM
THEDMAN
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

AVA for me!

No complaints on the N/A tuning front!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:03 PM
JK99

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
If you actually knew Alan the last thing he is out to do is make a quick buck

If he was he would fling cars out quicker and take on FAR easier jobs.

The twin throttle GT42 scooby, a twin turbo twin throttle triple wastegate scooby a compund charged T88 saf, a twin turbo V8 cobra. Do these sound like quick and easy ways to make money?

yeah out to make a quick buck

Once you get to know him you realise that he just like messing around with turbos
I knew this would bring out the AVA Defence.

Just stating my personal experience of them. If you read my post i did say there was no doubting they know their stuff.

I fully understand they have worked on and are currently working on "ground-breaking" developmental cars etc, but I feel for Average Joe, they don't offer the best value for money.

Maybe they prefer to work on such wild projects and give the silly prices to people who are just looking for something normal, in my case a 250bhp ERST. I mean, does £280 to adjust fuel pressure sound reasonable to you??

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this matter and personal experiences will differ.

IAIN ABZ - Hope you get something sorted for your car. I'll maybe see it out and about one day soon hopefully.

If you're really struggling, a pal of mine has been in around Pintos and Cross-Flows running carbs etc for years and knows how to set them up very well.

Cheers

Joel
Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 PM
stuarth
PassionFord Regular

ava are really good i always use them, Allan is sound if you no how to take him and listen to what he says, he knows his shit!!! hes not shy with the bill but worth it
Old 10-07-2008, 08:21 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i dont know these people but when some one says someones sound "when you know how to take them" , i assume that means theyre an arrogant cunt but people make excuses for them.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 PM
JK99

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
i dont know these people but when some one says someones sound "when you know how to take them" , i assume that means theyre an arrogant cunt but people make excuses for them.
It's not often I agree with a Jambo but that's so true.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuzzy:

No, how about " tells u how it is, doesn't want to tell you your cars great just beacuse u spent £5k somewhere else " that sort of attitude makes people not get on with u - and it takes time to get used to someone who just calls it exactly as it is.

I turned up with my rst at 21 psi mid and 18 held, made 143 wheels. We turned it down to 12 and set it up for 165 at the wheels. Told me a few of the bits I had bought were no use and some of the things I had been told were not true even though they were from some of the big tuners. It took me a while to see that they were telling the truth. Once we got over that part we got on with more set up work after I fixed/replaced parts on the car that were sub standard, not that they sold me any of the new parts I used. Result was 195 wheels on 13 psi of boost and one of the fastest top speed rsturbos of its time. (appreciate things have moved WAY on nowadays)

It took me a while to learn how to take being told something was crap when everyone else told me it was good.

I'm not sure what u would define as " good at tuning NA cars " they will get the best fueling and advance from ur current spec. The next stage stuff with NA is always so expensive to get proper results, so that puts lots of people off.

Cheers and good luck wherever u chose!

RW
Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i believe in straight talking but theres a difference in being honest and straight forward and downright arrogant and possibly abusive. in my mind having to know how to take someone usually means they are the latter.
the thing with tuners is how do you know who's talking shit to start with. they always talk a good game .
up here all the ones ive used (5) know each other and bitch about the others.
finding one thats trust worthy has proved an expensive journey for me and ive ended up at a small local no frills place who knows his cossies inside out.

Last edited by fuzzy; 10-07-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

First time I went to AVA the car left without anymore power, BUT a load of advice as to what needed doing which came as a shock because the car was supposedly set up fine before. Even got an extra 20 minutes free chatting! (and a run in Martins Cossie) Second time there was a problem with the intercooler, i.e. it was shit and charge temps were high and the boost got turned down, but again I got the truth instead of we've added 20bhp, wait till it blows and we can get a rebuild out of it. In Scotland most recomended "sound" tuners are great because they bullshit and massage egos, fact. I remember using Falkland on the strict assurance they were "amazing" The only pain with AVA was they were too far away!