General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

yet another ps3 question for the gamers

Search this Thread

Old 27-06-2008, 03:12 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default yet another ps3 question for the gamers

set the system up to go wireless to link to the interweb

it can find the modem (it actually found 4, 2 sky one, 1 was 100%, one was 52% and 2 other randoms) but how do i know which one is mine?

and then, when i click on it, it gives me the name, but no way to actually hook it up and connect

what am i doing wrong?

or will hardwiring the system in be better for me seeing as i've now got cabling to do it?
Old 27-06-2008, 03:14 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

my wireless forever looses connection with the ps3. Plug it in proper. You will need to go through all the settings and change it for hard wired tho
Old 27-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

[touchwood] I've never had a problem with mine and have taken it to a mates a few times and had no problems there either.

I don't know the technical stuff but are all the settings matched up to those of your router? I remember there being tonnes of options when I set my router up! Maybe it's worth going through that again and naming the router so you know which one is yours as well?

Hard wiring is so 1990s.

Actually, one thing that gets a bit annoying about the fancy no wires PS3 is that the remote [and controller] is bluetooth. So firstly my logitech harmony won't fucking work it and secondly, unlike an RF signal where you'd hit a button accidentally on an ordniary remote and nothing would happen because it's not pointed at the unit, you can have the PS3 remote in another room and accidentally hit a button and it'll turn the thing on if it's on standby.

Not the end of the world, but we all like a moan eh Dojj
Old 27-06-2008, 03:25 PM
dojj

i looked at the settings and it says "wired and wireless" so i choose the wireless option and all this stuff came up, which confused me after a while because nothing i would do would make it work

(that racedriver grid game also has this habit of letting you choose options, and then not letting you get out of that part of the game so you have to turn the whole thing on and off again, most annoying)

and as i don't have a lead long enough i was forced to give up and admit defeat, momentarily, until i asked here

when i'm in front of a computer again, probably tomorrow evening, i'll ask again (the mrs wants me to go out tonight so no can do with the ps3 business )
Old 27-06-2008, 03:27 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Paddy
[touchwood] I've never had a problem with mine and have taken it to a mates a few times and had no problems there either.

I don't know the technical stuff but are all the settings matched up to those of your router? I remember there being tonnes of options when I set my router up! Maybe it's worth going through that again and naming the router so you know which one is yours as well?

Hard wiring is so 1990s.

Actually, one thing that gets a bit annoying about the fancy no wires PS3 is that the remote [and controller] is bluetooth. So firstly my logitech harmony won't fucking work it and secondly, unlike an RF signal where you'd hit a button accidentally on an ordniary remote and nothing would happen because it's not pointed at the unit, you can have the PS3 remote in another room and accidentally hit a button and it'll turn the thing on if it's on standby.

Not the end of the world, but we all like a moan eh Dojj
how do i name the router though?
Old 27-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
how do i name the router though?
There was an option to do it when I set mine up!!?? Must be able to change it as well??

The reason I remember is because I was on the phone to someone in India at the Belkin call centre and I named it after her because she was on the phone to me for 45 minutes helping me do it
Old 27-06-2008, 03:35 PM
turbo_3dr_tommy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your router should be the 1 with 100% mate as it should be the closest router to the PS3
Old 27-06-2008, 03:41 PM
dojj

but my routers already got a name, and no, it's not shilpa, that's paddy's one

so how do i figure all this business out then?

i need to name the router for starters

then i've got to figure out how to get it sorted so that the ps3 will connect to it wirelessly

and then it's happy days?

or can i just plug a cable into theback of it from the modem/router/internet and make it much easier?

thing is, it says that when i change the settings, the original settings will be lost, were they there in the first place?

how do i get rid of jims name form the list of people who are available?
Old 27-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shoulda just wiped it all and started again from scrach

Hard Reset procedure for the PS3 (as instructed by Sony CS).

Be sure to backup your settings/games saves by doing a System > Backup on your PS3 or you may lose your game saves! Also, this is a last resort procedure prior to exchanging/returning to sony.

1. Power Off the PS3 via the power switch in back and power back on w/switch.

2. Hold Power Button on the Front until you hear 3 beeps.

3. Then go through the initial setup and then run a full Format via System > Format. (will take approx 3 1/1 hours). You may need to have our AV cables ready if your using HDMI (in case HDMI isn't detected after initial reset).

4. Restore your backup you made prior to doing factory/hard reset (optional, if you created a backup).
Old 27-06-2008, 04:03 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
shoulda just wiped it all and started again from scrach
i haven't got the brochure