Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

2WD fans

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:06 PM
Muffster1
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2WD fans

Afternoon folks,
Need some help please with the fans on my 2WD Saph, basically they do not kick in as they obviously should do when the engine gets up to temperature.
I've pulled the fan switch and bridged across it and i can hear the relay clicking but it does not set the fans off.
The car has been stood for quite a while and a few years ago i changed the cooolant header tank for a 4 WD tank which has the flow & return pipes in a slightly different location on the tank to the original 2WD.
one.
I'm wondering if i've introduced a problem when I've changed the tank.
I deals what the issue is here and are there any other checks i can do?

Many thanks.

Old Today, 02:52 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Not precisely sure what you mean regards the hose changes however it doesn’t sound like anything that would cause any issues, but the first test you’ve done by bridging the connector to the fan switch should have worked, however the fan circuit in these cars is notorious for going bad and melting relays and the fuse box, so if not done already I suggest you invest in a good quality fan loom from the likes of MSD or elsewhere. You should also be able to unplug the wiring at the fans themselves (if no one has messed with it) I’d try temporarily running a couple of wires directly from the battery to see if the fans work that way, if they do then get a new fan loom ordered.

Last edited by rog; Today at 02:54 PM.
Old Today, 04:10 PM
Muffster1
Virgin

Hello Rog,

For the header tank the old one had the feed from the turbo at the top of the tank so when it was running you could see the water flowing back in. The 4 WD version, the turbo pipe hose size is physically bigger, the stub end at the tank was larger so i had to buy a different pipe to fit, i think it was from MSD. Also the stub end on the tank is lower down so you cant see the water flowing as its below the MAX level mark.
I hope that makes sense.
So for the fans - The fusebox is in good condition and the fans spin freely by hand. I'll put a 12v feed to the and see what happens.
Thanks for the tip, ill try tomorrow.
Old Today, 04:17 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Ah got you, no that won’t make any difference to it, all good.

Here’s an old thread on the fan wiring, basically it was shit when new so it’s probably the most likely cause of your issue. https://passionford.com/forum/ford-s...an-wiring.html
Old Today, 05:03 PM
Muffster1
Virgin

Thanks for the link, an interesting read.
I intend to fit new looms for both the fan and fuel pump but want to get it running as normal after brining it out of hibernation.
I started it today after fitting some new plugs and its running worse than it did with the old plugs!!
I've actually has the car for 29 years (its on 102K miles) and the fans have never been a problem up until now, anyway - 12v to the fans tomorrow and see what happens.

Cheers.