General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any electrical engineers on here?

Search this Thread

Old 23-05-2008, 08:45 AM
mackers
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any electrical engineers on here?

I`m currently an electrician at the minute, got all my qualifications plus loads of courses I`ve done. I`m thinking of doing a hnc/hnd in electrical engineering then maybe working towards a degree. How difficult is the course and what is the minimum qualification I need to start woking in an electrical engineering firm? I`m interested in electrical design.
Old 23-05-2008, 10:11 AM
RsDarren
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Location: Dewsbury, The parts were they don't abduct their own children!

I'm a Electrical Engineer in the making. I'm currently going through a 5 year development programme with my company. At the moment i am in my 3/4 year so it wont be too long before they let me loose on my own job?? ha

I qualified as an electricain then continued to complete the 'C' Certificate (which has now been stopped), B-Tec Higher National in Building Services (HND).

I went down the Building Services route as even though I am a electrican my aim is to eventually be a project manager which will require more knowledge of the buiding trade. But going down the electrical engineering route would have done it was just a personal choice. I love my job and everyday throws a new challenge!

My advice would be if you can handle doing the course at nights and the work load I would definately do it!
Old 23-05-2008, 10:13 AM
RsDarren
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Location: Dewsbury, The parts were they don't abduct their own children!

There is no real level of qualification to work for a firm? If they can see you have the capabilities to do the job then they will take you on.
Old 23-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Nick D
Advanced PassionFord User

I own a Building Services Engineering Design Consultancy. Lot of money to be made for young keen engineers, esp when you get yourself on contract. Any questions feel free to PM or ask here.

You will get on a hnc/hnd course no probelms.
Old 23-05-2008, 10:29 AM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm currently training, still an apprentice at the moment but doing an electrical and electronic engineering degree as part of my apprentiship.

You will find that hardly any colleges are doing HND/HNC in engineering now, nowhere around here is anyway, everyone is changing over to foundation degrees,

this is good in the way that the foundation degree is identical to the first 2 years of the full degree. so you save yourself 2-4 years in the long run.

it SHOULD be the same difficulty level, however i have just finished the FD, and there were about 7 people on my course that had done a HND prior to the FD and said they struggled like hell, however i went into it with A levels in maths physics and design technology, and struggled like hell!!!
Old 23-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Nick D

Originally Posted by fraser9764
I'm currently training, still an apprentice at the moment but doing an electrical and electronic engineering degree as part of my apprentiship.

You will find that hardly any colleges are doing HND/HNC in engineering now, nowhere around here is anyway, everyone is changing over to foundation degrees,

this is good in the way that the foundation degree is identical to the first 2 years of the full degree. so you save yourself 2-4 years in the long run.

it SHOULD be the same difficulty level, however i have just finished the FD, and there were about 7 people on my course that had done a HND prior to the FD and said they struggled like hell, however i went into it with A levels in maths physics and design technology, and struggled like hell!!!
Stockport fo the NND/HNC. Just noticed the guy is in Ireland lol!
Old 23-05-2008, 03:37 PM
mackers

Thanks guys, I`m def going to get onto this course then. What is the difference between the hnc and hnd? I`m only 24 so at least I`m not starting it too late. What are the wages like if you don`t mind me asking, any the earning potential? I currently earn around Ł23,000 a year not including overtime etc.
Old 23-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I am an Electrical engineer (building services)

All on a day release I have completed a ONC electrical/electronic engineering, ONC building services, HNC Building services and current doing a Beng Building Servces degree with progression to do a Masters afterwards. To be honest, the part time degree is hard work and with my senior position a day out of the office is a nightmare. Hence usually getting home at 8ish...

the whole purpose of this is to get chartered... Just a degree a few years back would get you chartered but now you need the masters as well....

Many electriians join our company having been on the tools.. unfortunately they start at a low grade due to little if no design experience..

Ive been fortunate enough to project manage making good profits, but with this comes alot of responsibility.. but if you want the money, its got to be done

Every job is different (apart from poxy offices lol) so I love what I do... really enjoy it. I work in central london so obviously the wage reflects this

Good luck in what ever you choose to do!
Old 23-05-2008, 07:06 PM
rssteve

id be interested in the wages too and the area your involved in?
Old 24-05-2008, 08:31 AM
mackers

Thanks for the replies guys, I know it will be a long hard road but I don`t want to spend my life working on the tools as an electrician. If I have to take a low wage for a bit untill I get experience then so be it. I`m thinking of the long term pay increase which will make up for the few years on lower wages. I fully intend to go on and do a degree and hopefully go for chartership.
Old 27-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

dunlop.. whereabouts in the country are you based? I was tempted to start something up a while ago but seems like alot of hard work!
Old 27-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Nick D

Originally Posted by Westy
dunlop.. whereabouts in the country are you based? I was tempted to start something up a while ago but seems like alot of hard work!
Manchester, one of the hardest things was to sort the insurance to be honest for a sensible price. This is however alot easier now and alot and I mean alot lest costly then before.

I got most of my work passed down from multi-national and discipline consultancy's which isn't as profitable, but alot less hassle.

Just before christmas I secured some good projects of an Architect and the margins have been great, if only he would get his finger out and come to a "design freeze" so my total fee doesnt get eaten up on ammendments lol
Old 27-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

interesting ...

possible tough times ahead but fortunately our secured projects exceed target figures at the moment

good luck with it all mate