General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Help! i need some weightloss/training advice.. link inside..

Search this Thread

Old 27-05-2008, 09:41 AM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! i need some weightloss/training advice.. link inside..

Hi all,

Im desperately trying to sort my lifestyle out and need some help from you guys.

My thread can be found here:

https://passionford.com/forum/fitness-weight-training-discussions/241048-advice-needed-for-massive-lifestyle-change-and-weightloss-goals-one-for-the-gurus.html

Its something im not really clued up on, and want to use my gym time most effectively.

Help!
Old 27-05-2008, 10:59 AM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mate I was similar to you at the start of the year. The heaviest I've weighed was 22.5 stone and I was a FAT bastard!! Lost some weight few years ago, but hovered around 18.5 - 20 stone for last 3 years. I am a big guy (1st team and ex-county prop forward), but I was pretty fat as well. I used to be a beer monster and would always eat shit, especially if I was bored or anxious about something.

Started diet on 2nd jan this year at 19 st 1. Since then I have had NO McDonalds, NO Takeaway curry or pizza and NO Kebabs. I've virtually stopped drinking - might have a few if its a big wknd, but no booze during the week and none if I'm not out for something special. My calorie intake is kept to around 1700 to 2200 per day.

Most important meal is brekky as it kick starts your metabolism and stops you snacking until lunch. I have sugar free museli with skimmed milk.

Lunch is wholemeal sandwich with ham and low fat philli cheese, fruit and yoghurt.

Tea might be stir fry or pasta and chicken or casserole - anything with loads of veg and little fat.

Snacks are fruit only!!

I've been doing 40 mins on cross trainer doing 5 mins warm up at speed 10 kmph and resistance 6. Then increase to level 8 and do:

a) 1 min of pushing hard with arms, focussing on chest and triceps.
b) 1 min pulling hard, focussing on forearms.
c) 1 min legs only.
d) 1 min backwards.
e) 1 min sprint forward (holding speed at 17.5 kmph+).

So 5 min cycles. Increase each 5 mins from level 8 to 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 and repeat each exercise.

5 mins cool down.

I aim to cover 8.5 kms and burn 775 calories in the 40 mins on the cross trainer. You need to keep your speed and heart rate up, and push through on level 18 even if it feels like you will keel over! NO PAIN, NO GAIN!!

After x-trainer we have these split running machines where you have a belt for each foot, which goes up and down so its like walking on sand.

I do about 12 mins on this (or however long is needed) at top speed of 6.4 kmph and max travel to top up my calories burnt to 1000.

Then I do chin ups and triceps dips on alternating days until failure. On the other days I do 2x50 sit ups with a 5kg medicine ball. In Jan I could do half a chin up - now I do 5 or 6 at a time.

I'm not doing any weights at the moment as my main aim is to strip fat in time for my 25th in November. I have lost muscle, but that can be regained.

Total time at the gym each visit is no more than 1h 15 mins, except tuesdays where I do a 45 min spinning class as well as my normal workout ,as I don't have much time to spare and I'll get bored otherwise. I go def 4 or if I can 5 times a week.

So far I've lost 3 stone this yeargoing from 19 st 1 to 16 st 1 now, with another 1 to 1.5 to go by November for my birthday. I should break into the 15 stone barrier this week. That will be the lightest I've been since year 9 at school !

Its a harsh regeme, but the results are clear to see and it depends how badly you want to lose weight. I've been fat since I was a baby and decided that I really wanted to change this year. Getting more (well some! ) attention from birds was one of my main motivations.

The only badside is that I need a whole new wardrobe
Old 27-05-2008, 11:56 AM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Nice one buddy, ive replied in the other thread.

Anymore for anymore?
Old 27-05-2008, 12:32 PM
zedtechs
Regular Contributor

Mate If I have one tip for you than that is to buy a comfy pair off running shoes and just RUN, gyms are fine but I spent a year in an air conditioned gym and achieved nothing, definition building and muscle gain are great at the gym, but when it comes to weight loss sweaty, dirty and hard grafting running is definately the way forward

Ever since I left school I used to float around the 18stone mark, but I was never fat and no-one ever called me fat, I was a very heavily built person and sometimes I would even think that if I went to 14 stone I would be anorexic due to the size off me. and it used to always get me down, I would think of ways to change and diet but I never actioned my plans.

Until January 06, I gave up smoking and thought I would see how fit I could get. Now although I knew it wasn't going to happen over night I set myself the task off running most week nights.

It was a very gradual procedure and I used to run Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday nights for an hour each time, even if my pace would slip I kept going for this time, and used to vary my run through woods up hills and on roads.

I was amazed at the comments I all of a sudden recieved and within 6 months I was down to 14st 11lb, I used to go to the gym all the time but I never felt I achieved the weight loss I wanted, when you run you are pretty much using every muscle you have.

So my tips are..........

1) Run
2) It won't happen overnight
3)stick with it
4) you will feel better in yourself after a few weeks

And try and enjoy it, I used to set myself goals and aims like, the lads are going to the pub at 7.45, it's now 6.30. I would have to go for a run to my set destination and back and still be in the pub for 7.45, just to add variation!!!!

Anyway good luck mate!!
Old 27-05-2008, 01:33 PM
zedtechs
Regular Contributor

That's a defeatist attitute mate...............

I think your main demon to conquer is what people think off you?

I know I looked odd at 18st trying to run, but I knew I was bettering myself and didn't care....

whether you run, walk or roll at least you are being active, when I started I used to take small quick steps.........now I stride it becomes easier, you just need to start!!!!
Old 27-05-2008, 03:08 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt J
yeah you're right it is a defeatist attitude, its because I hate exercise and try to find an excuse not to do any
If you have no motivation then it won't happen, simple as. Why not join a 5-a-side team or somthing similar to give you somthing to worktowards?
Old 27-05-2008, 03:23 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

im 6' 2 and a half and i was 19 stone... recently (almost a year now) i gained a new job, so for a fresh start i worked hard to change my lifestyle, which included my diet! i started eating breakfast, had a good lunch that was filling, but not overly so. and a good round tea, then possibly some fruit as a snack... this alone helped me loose 2-3 stone!!!

in the last month i have joined the JJB gym, which offer a free personal plan which you sit with a trainer and they help tailor a plan to your needs! this has helped loads! including diet!

he advised me becausse of my weight NOT TO RUN instead walk.

my plan includes

*rowing
*cross trainer
*walking
*cycling
*core exercises - situps, pushups etc.
*swimming - this exercises alot of muscles but doesnt put pressure on your joints! as much of this as you can is good especially if you are overwieght!!!

not done weights yet as want to get fitness up first! but booked in again to get a weights plan!

its gonna be a long haul mate, but you will appreciate it when it does go! i gained a great girlfriend and that has just made me want to loose more so i look better for her. you feel so much better for it aswell! good luck chap!
Old 27-05-2008, 03:33 PM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Thanks for all the replies peeps, its exactly what i need to get me motivated.

Ill keep the thread in the fitness room updated as i go along.

Thanks!