General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

fuel prices received this today

Search this Thread

Old 22-05-2008, 03:24 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

yes we are running out of oil
yes it will probably be in our lifetime
yes it will probably cause ww3 and world destruction
no you can't do owt about it, its inevitable (Sp)
yes the government are taxing fuel loads
no you can't do owt about it, if they dont tax on fuel it will be something else
yes this countries a discrace
no i can't be arsed to read all this thread.
Old 22-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Mr Orange
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CWA
..a damn good question

(?)
because they make most of the 3billion or so profit from getting it out the ground and selling it other companies.

So basically as the easy to access oil runs out then the price goes up to cover the added cost of now finding, reaching and extracting the harder to get oil. plus china, india and more 3rd world countries wanting to get mobile and with more cash comes status.

Nuclear power for this country has to happen, solar, hydro and wind are nice additions but in reality couldnt provide the energy requirements that this county has.

Hydrogen fuel cells will likely make it into production in the next decade or so. the technology is almost there, iirc its storing the fuel on a car safely and filling the cars thats the only problem, that and cost but with mass production that should come down.

If the rises continue then £1.50 a litre for petrol and £1.60 for diesel is surely going to happen by the end of the year??

hopefully LPG wont go up too much as my next car is going to run on that
Old 22-05-2008, 04:07 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Orange
Hydrogen fuel cells will likely make it into production in the next decade or so. the technology is almost there, iirc its storing the fuel on a car safely and filling the cars thats the only problem, that and cost but with mass production that should come down.

If the rises continue then £1.50 a litre for petrol and £1.60 for diesel is surely going to happen by the end of the year??

hopefully LPG wont go up too much as my next car is going to run on that
hydrogen fuel cells are already in production, along with solar powered home energy stations to refuel them - check out the honda fcx

http://world.honda.com/FuelCell/
Old 22-05-2008, 04:11 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

tony stark will save the world with his reactor in a bit of metal

that way everyone can be ther own personal superman and do lots of work as well
Old 22-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karl
The fuel/oil crisis is such a serious issue, that I do not see myself working in the automotive industry in 10 years time. Every year that goes by now, I keep thinking I will shut down business and change career. For sure it is going to happen in the near future, I just don't know the correct time to get out of the industry before it totally collapses.
After you have mapped my car hopefully
Old 22-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Mister W

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello
I receved a similar e-mail about Total Fina Group ,
In Belgium ,one liter of benzine cost 1,55€ and one liter of diesel cost 1.40 €
It's scandalous ...
The last belgian governement joke , it' s a tax for polution , it' s great for environment but for us .... for an old car ( +25years ) we must pay a bonus ( 1000€ ) just for taxe ...
Old 22-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Karl
This folks is the problem, see how oil supply peaked and fell in 2005. However demand is increasing as supply decreases meaning an exponentially growing problem!!! The end is surely near!
Was it you mentioned "peak oil" earlier? Tell me, what evidence backs this up? I have read in some far corners of the internet, that oil could be a by product of all the goings on beneath the earths crust. Therefore, almost infinite. There have been a couple instances of oil fields refilling.

Thats not to say that's any reason to carry on using it. One thing nobody has mentioned is how it affects the acidity of the oceans (oil and all it's products/byproducts).

And Chip, what percentage of people in the world do you think actually WANT to fight each other, and how many would just rather share resources more fairly, and get along?
Old 22-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Mr Orange
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=Graham S1;3307440]Was it you mentioned "peak oil" earlier? Tell me, what evidence backs this up? I have read in some far corners of the internet, that oil could be a by product of all the goings on beneath the earths crust. Therefore, almost infinite. There have been a couple instances of oil fields refilling. quote]

Please show how?
im not being rude, im genuinly interested in how an oil field can refill itself

also, i know hydrogen cars exist. but im talking about walking into a ford dealer and asking for a 5 door focus zetec in silver powered by hydrogen obv trim, car, colour can change though
Old 23-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

[quote=Mr Orange;3307474]
Originally Posted by Graham S1
Was it you mentioned "peak oil" earlier? Tell me, what evidence backs this up? I have read in some far corners of the internet, that oil could be a by product of all the goings on beneath the earths crust. Therefore, almost infinite. There have been a couple instances of oil fields refilling. quote]

Please show how?
im not being rude, im genuinly interested in how an oil field can refill itself
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38645

By the late '80s, the platform's production had slipped to less than 4,000 barrels per day, and was considered pumped out. Done. Suddenly, in 1990, production soared back to 15,000 barrels a day, and the reserves which had been estimated at 60 million barrels in the '70s, were recalculated at 400 million barrels. Interestingly, the measured geological age of the new oil was quantifiably different than the oil pumped in the '70s.
Also this.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...=&pagewanted=2

Karl, whats your opinion on where oil comes from?

Last edited by Graham S1; 23-05-2008 at 08:49 AM.